2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Also, I thought Schenslog had to be picked up in the draft, but he can be picked up as a DFA.
199cm, 99kg 21 year old.
4 years on Geelong's list then delisted.
Killed it in the WAFL last year.

Be a very handy pick up even if he ends up being depth.

Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
Also, I thought Schenslog had to be picked up in the draft, but he can be picked up as a DFA.
199cm, 99kg 21 year old.
4 years on Geelong's list then delisted.
Killed it in the WAFL last year.

Be a very handy pick up even if he ends up being depth.
Would love him to be one of our rookie picks.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Did anyone see the article in the Courier Mail about Will Bella?
The chance to create history at the AFL draft could be a daunting prospect, but a young Sarina footballer is not feeling the pressure.
Will Bella’s strong performance at the draft combine has given Mackay hope the region will have a listed men’s player for the first time since David Armitage retired in 2019.

Despite carrying the weight of Mackay on his broad shoulders, Bella said he was not feeling nervous about the process, and hoped to hear his name called out in November.

“If I do make it, it’d be really good to be that second AFL player for Mackay, it’d be an honour to make it on a list,” he said.

The hulking key forward is linked to the Gold Coast through its academy program, meaning the Suns would have first rights to Bella if another club bid on him at the draft.

Bella also made his VFL debut for the Suns, which gave him a clearer understanding on the step up that is required to play at an elite level.

“It was really good to play VFL, a bit of a shock to get the call up,” he said.

“You are surrounded by all the older boys and you get to see how they go about it day in and day out, which was definitely a plus leading into the draft.

“Just to be around the elite as well and get to pick their brains, they’ve been through what I’m going through, so I was just trying to learn as much as I could from them.”

With the Suns trading the majority of their draft hand into 2022, it is unlikely Bella will make it to Gold Coast through the national draft, but he is a chance in the rookie and pre-season supplementary phase.

He came in the top 3 in the vertical jump overall (of any state) at the combine.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Mac Andrew if we drafted him would probably be raring to go for Seniors right as Witts is retiring or in decline.
It’s a great pick if we want to play the long game with drafting.
A bit premature to write off Witts. Retiring?

Andrew is the opposite from raring to go. He's a long-term prospect. He needs like 20kg to put on.

Having said that if Andrew is exceptional talent like many observers say I would be happy to draft him provided Callaghan is gone. We can wait to develop him. No draftee will change our fortune next year.

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He came in the top 3 in the vertical jump overall (of any state) at the combine.

I’ll be a bit annoyed if we don’t take Bella.

He’s a local. Played fine the the VFL this year. Fits an area of need in our team as a key tall. Plus his sister plays for the Suns AFLW team.

So, he’s decent enough prospect to develop, fits depth need and has a feel-good story for AFL growth in SEQLD with a brother/sister combo.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast

He’s a local. Played fine the the VFL this year. Fits an area of need in our team as a key tall. Plus his sister plays for the Suns AFLW team.

So, he’s decent enough prospect to develop, fits depth need and has a feel-good story for AFL growth in SEQLD with a brother/sister combo.
100%.
For those in here ranting about the Suns only selecting ‘good stories’ he’s your pin up boy.

Against the AFL sides
10 touches, 5 marks, 3 goals vs swams
9 touches, 7 marks, 1 goal vs pies
Quiet game vs dogs as we lost 100-40

pretty decent for a 17 yr old.

Last edited:

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
A bit premature to write off Witts. Retiring?

Andrew is the opposite from raring to go. He's a long-term prospect. He needs like 20kg to put on.

Having said that if Andrew is exceptional talent like many observers say I would be happy to draft him provided Callaghan is gone. We can wait to develop him. No draftee will change our fortune next year.

You probably read that one wrong, or maybe mis-worded.

Mr Bods was predicting that when Andrew has filled out to afl level 4-5 years time, it would be the same window as Witts retiring 32-33.

Think GWS are taking Andrew wherever that pick may be.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Gibcus 195cm
Sicily 186cm

Yeah I was trying to say I wouldn’t want Gibcus next year and would prefer to target Sicily who is coming out of contract next year.

26 years old, one of the league better interceptors and price would be low being injured with an ACL.

Actually thought he was taller than that

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I'll be furious if we don't take Bella after the season we had with so few talls available to play.

I can't even understand why we wouldn't draft him. My understanding is that we have Cat B rookie spots that can be used on him so why the hell wouldn't we draft him?

He's 196cm and nearing 100kg now. That's huge for an 18 year old and he may even have a bit of vertical growth left in him. He has a standing vertical leap of 75cm which is very impressive and a huge asset for a power forward in a contested situation deep in the forward line. Let's just draft Will, get the feel-good story with him being the second ever AFL player from Mackay / sister Lauren already on the list / a rugby league family converting to Aussie rules and just focus on developing him in the VFL. I'm sick of losing the talented kids from our zone and would hate to add Will Bella to that list.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Will Bella has had a really interesting journey. He comes from an area of Mackay called Sarina which is famous for producing NRL players like Wendell Sailor, Daly Cherry-Evans and even Will's uncle Martin Bella. In a feel-good moment for the local community, Will went back to Mackay in August this year to make his senior debut for junior club Bakers Creek and was voted best on in his sole appearance in the AFL Mackay seniors competition. Here he is in action for the Bakers Creek seniors earlier this year:

5z3W4zk.jpg

Will has also had a lot of success with Palm Beach Currumbin since permanently moving to the Gold Coast in 2019. This included an AFLQ Schools Cup state championship and best on ground performance in the grand final for Palm Beach Currumbin High School in 2020:

5DFXlb6.jpeg

As well as a QAFL Colts premiership with the Palm Beach Currumbin Lions where he was also crowned league best and fairest in 2020:

raHsLt8.jpg

This year Will Bella made the step up to the VFL with our reserves team and had some solid performances which led me to believe he can definitely make the grade.

lgoToUg.jpg

Long story short - let's just draft Will Bella. The kid has a great story and clearly has talent. He plays a position we'll definitely need more depth in soon with Sam Day turning 30 next year. CRAIG CAMERON - DRAFT WILL BELLA!

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Mr Bods was predicting that when Andrew has filled out to afl level 4-5 years time, it would be the same window as Witts retiring 32-33.

Looking at the post again, you could be right I mis-read it.

Moyle could be Witt's replacement in 3-4 years. He looks like a typical ruck. Andrew could be anything. Callaghan would hopefully complement our midfield if GWS go with Andrew.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'll be furious if we don't take Bella after the season we had with so few talls available to play.

I can't even understand why we wouldn't draft him. My understanding is that we have Cat B rookie spots that can be used on him so why the hell wouldn't we draft him?

He's 196cm and nearing 100kg now. That's huge for an 18 year old and he may even have a bit of vertical growth left in him. He has a standing vertical leap of 75cm which is very impressive and a huge asset for a power forward in a contested situation deep in the forward line. Let's just draft Will, get the feel-good story with him being the second ever AFL player from Mackay / sister Lauren already on the list / a rugby league family converting to Aussie rules and just focus on developing him in the VFL. I'm sick of losing the talented kids from our zone and would hate to add Will Bella to that list.
Disappointed, yes, but furious? Why? You don't know all the details, talent assessment, kids ceiling, academy NT arrangements. There are plenty of people involved with academy to make informed decision.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think we lost any talented kids from our academy recently. If anything we over-valued our academy kids until now.

How could we put Bella on Cat B list? Zone selection?

Personally, I will be disappointed if we don't pick up Bella. I like his game. But then other people will be frustrated if we do not pick up Harris, Stevens, Hofert, Pickering, Uwland or whoever. I am a bit over bringing 4 academy kids every year. We don't have resources to develop them and most of them will not make it.

If kids are good they will be picked up by other clubs (it did not happen recently). Great, that means academy program works. After several years we can always try to bring them home if they prove themselves.

Last edited:

Sun Stormer

Mature Age Recruit
Jul 27, 2018
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Disappointed, yes, but furious? Why? You don't know all the details, talent assessment, kids ceiling, academy NT arrangements, etc.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think we lost any talented kids from our academy recently. If anything we over-valued our academy kids until now.

How could we put Bella on Cat B list? Zone selection?

I will be disappointed if we don't pick up Bella. I like his game. But then other people will be frustrated if we do not pick up Harris, Stevens, Hofert, Pickering, Uwland or whoever. We should go only with 1-2 kids based on previous years who makes it.

If kids are good they will be picked up by other clubs (it did not happen recently). Great, that means academy program works. After several years we can always try to bring them home if they prove themselves.
Essendon met with a couple of our Academy kids earlier in the year. The person who saw them didn't know which players they were. Be interesting to see if any truth in it.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah I was trying to say I wouldn’t want Gibcus next year and would prefer to target Sicily who is coming out of contract next year.

26 years old, one of the league better interceptors and price would be low being injured with an ACL.

Actually thought he was taller than that
Yeah, Sicily would be huge for us.
Doubt he leaves though, and don't think the price would be as low as we would like.
Part of the leadership setup at Hawthorn I think. One of the few in the crucial age bracket for them.
Saw some hyperbolic Hawthorn posters saying they wouldn't take less than pick 1 for him!

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

That’s exactly what I was saying. The moment Witts is at the end of his illustrious career we’d have a gun Ruck ready to take over.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Bella is a man child. He hasn't stood out at any serious level, been okay but nothing screams afl player to me. Those man child KPP types rarely make it in the AFL as they arent super developable.
Won't be stressed if we don't take him, think he is a VFL player.

I'm not sure how long he has been playing AFL for so he could be pretty early on in his development curve.

But from what I have seen (keeping it simple)
He is of impressive stature - tall and strong - different to our other key forwards who are more lithe.
He can clearly jump (evidenced by the combine results)

In the VFL most of the marks I recall were on the lead.
In the recent QLD/Tasmania game he had more impact in the contested marking/packing splitting aspect.
Think this shows some versatility to his game and is a good sign for potential impact as the level increases.

He seems to also be a nice straight kick for goal.

He has a clear connection with the Suns (adds about 1% to the decision to take him - but still of consideration for me)

I definitely want us to take him.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Essendon met with a couple of our Academy kids earlier in the year. The person who saw them didn't know which players they were. Be interesting to see if any truth in it.
Essendon have quite a few young talls that are developing in the VFL
Cox / Reid / Eyre / Brand / Baldwin + a young Irish fella McBride who have all come into their system in the last 12 months.

I'd be surprised if they were looking at Bella as well. Who knows though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back