2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit premature to write off Witts. Retiring?

Andrew is the opposite from raring to go. He's a long-term prospect. He needs like 20kg to put on.

Having said that if Andrew is exceptional talent like many observers say I would be happy to draft him provided Callaghan is gone. We can wait to develop him. No draftee will change our fortune next year.

Andrew’s will be ready to go just before his 28th birthday
Has anyone confirmed he is 18yr old and not a 28yr old pretending to be 18
Aka Manute Bol in the NBA

Meanwhile, another father-son prospect in Sturt best and fairest winner Casey Voss has also had praise heaped on him by his coach.

Voss, 21, the son of new Carlton coach and Lions legend Michael Voss, was overlooked by Brisbane as a father-son prospect in 2018.

But after a superb season in the SANFL — averaging 23 disposals across half back — recruiters are eyeing Voss as a potential mature-age pickup.

“He is one of the smartest players I have ever seen play the game of footy. That is AFL, SANFL, everything,” Stuart coach Marty Mattner told the Herald Sun.

“His vision with the ball in hand and his is ability to read the play, intercept mark and rebound out of defence or go inside 50m are fantastic.

“He just knows how to find the footy, he defends really well and he is a ripping kid.”

Should we go after Casey Voss? Son of a Queensland legend (from our academy zone in Beenleigh) plus Casey is a born and raised Queenslander himself who spent 14 years here but has been in Adelaide for the last seven years. We have a great record with bringing South Australian talent into our club and we already have a few Sturt boys on our list in Sam Day / Charlie Ballard.

The knock on Casey Voss three years ago when he was draft eligible was that . 182cm/80kg defender who can either play as an interceptor or a rebounder. I would suggest it's possible he could be turned into a midfielder as well considering his coach is raving about how well he can find the footy and the fact that he won the Sturt seniors best and fairest award this year.

Brisbane would hate us forever but getting Casey Voss would soften the blow of us losing Gold Coasters Dayne Zorko and Will Ashcroft to the Lions. Especially if Casey ends up being a good player.

You call losing Zorko a blow
I see it as dodging a bullet
That's fine. You can view it however you like but I'm always disappointed when I see Zorko having a big game knowing that he was genuinely desperate to play for us, was actually on our list (for about a minute) and is a Gold Coast junior.

I know some supporters like to carry on in a righteous way saying things like 'no d*ckhead policy here!' but the fact of the matter is every club will eventually have a few bad eggs on their list, no matter how hard they try to avoid it. The Swans famously stated they had no d*ckheads on their list in 2005 but I seem to remember their captain that year was a very questionable character by the name of Barry Hall. Would the Swans have won the flag in 2005 without Barry Hall? I highly doubt it.

Also, it's not like we've never had guys on our list that were questionable. Karmichael Hunt was arguably a lot worse and did a lot more damage to our club than Zorko would have. I know who I'd rather have on our list if we could go back in time.

Will Ashcroft joining the Lions as the number 1 pick next year is going to hurt. He was in our academy just two years ago! Another talented born and bred Gold Coaster who ends up at a club other than ours.

Should we go after Casey Voss? Son of a Queensland legend (from our academy zone in Beenleigh) plus Casey is a born and raised Queenslander himself who spent 14 years here but has been in Adelaide for the last seven years. We have a great record with bringing South Australian talent into our club and we already have a few Sturt boys on our list in Sam Day / Charlie Ballard.

The knock on Casey Voss three years ago when he was draft eligible was that . 182cm/80kg defender who can either play as an interceptor or a rebounder. I would suggest it's possible he could be turned into a midfielder as well considering his coach is raving about how well he can find the footy and the fact that he won the Sturt seniors best and fairest award this year.

Brisbane would hate us forever but getting Casey Voss would soften the blow of us losing Gold Coasters Dayne Zorko and Will Ashcroft to the Lions. Especially if Casey ends up being a good player.

could help get his old man up here in the future under Clarkson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you sure it was Gibcus and not Callaghan? Some people now claim that Callaghan is a flight risk.
Definitely Gibcus. Club has serious concerns about his ability to move interstate. Didn't say anything like that about Callaghan.

That's fine. You can view it however you like but I'm always disappointed when I see Zorko having a big game knowing that he was genuinely desperate to play for us, was actually on our list (for about a minute) and is a Gold Coast junior.

I know some supporters like to carry on in a righteous way saying things like 'no d*ckhead policy here!' but the fact of the matter is every club will eventually have a few bad eggs on their list, no matter how hard they try to avoid it. The Swans famously stated they had no d*ckheads on their list in 2005 but I seem to remember their captain that year was a very questionable character by the name of Barry Hall. Would the Swans have won the flag in 2005 without Barry Hall? I highly doubt it.

Also, it's not like we've never had guys on our list that were questionable. Karmichael Hunt was arguably a lot worse and did a lot more damage to our club than Zorko would have. I know who I'd rather have on our list if we could go back in time.
Yeah nah
I'd probably rather have George Horlin-Smith
At least I can run faster than him

Yeah nah
I'd probably rather have George Horlin-Smith
At least I can run faster than him
Did I mention George Horlin-Smith or did I mentioned a drug user in Karmichael Hunt who housed our number 2 draft pick Harley Bennell (also became a drug user) for years?

If I had it my way we'd have 50 Touk Millers on our list ranging from 175-210cm in height but that's not how list management works. Try as hard as you like, but every club will eventually recruit someone that has some kind of off field issues. All I'm saying is we could have used Zorko on our list over the last 10 years.

Did I mention George Horlin-Smith or did I mentioned a drug user in Karmichael Hunt who housed our number 2 draft pick Harley Bennell (also became a drug user) for years?

If I had it my way we'd have 50 Touk Millers on our list ranging from 175-210cm in height but that's not how list management works. Try as hard as you like, but every club will eventually recruit someone that has some kind of off field issues. All I'm saying is we could have used Zorko on our list over the last 10 years.
Yeah nah. I am with SandyToes. Every time I see captain Zorko trying to milk free I thank God for not having him on our team.

Yes, K Hunt was the same idiot. BTW, half of the team were taking drugs.

Hypothetical question. If Zorko was free, wanted to join us and cost us nothing, would you add him to our list? My answer is "If we would do that I would not be a member" :)

Lastly, do we have a similar type player on our list at the moment?

Mac Andrew if we drafted him would probably be raring to go for Seniors right as Witts is retiring or in decline.
It’s a great pick if we want to play the long game with drafting.
He'll be back at the Dees for SFA well before then.

Yeah nah. I am with SandyToes. Every time I see captain Zorko trying to milk free I thank God for not having him on our team.
How do you feel when he has 25+ disposals, kicks two goals and is very influential in a win over us in a QClash? I've seen that happen so many times it's not funny and I can categorically tell you I'm not thinking 'we made a great decision in not keeping him...'
Yes, K Hunt was the same idiot. BTW, half of the team were taking drugs.
Do you have a source on that or is it just here-say?
Hypothetical question. If Zorko was free, wanted to join us and cost us nothing, would you add him to our list? My answer is "If we would do that I would not be a member" :)
I wouldn't take him now for several reasons. Two of the bigger reasons being that he's about to turn 33 and we know more about his character now. Very different story back in 2011 when a 22 year old Zorko was up for grabs after dominating for 4 straight seasons at Broadbeach.

Better hypothetical - if we had exclusive access to a local 22 year old who had been dominating for a Gold Coast-based QAFL team for multiple years, was short in stature and had a bit of a reputation for partying, would you draft him? If your answer is no then that probably says more about your lack of faith in our internal culture to instil professional standards than anything to do with the individual.
Lastly, do we have a similar type player on our list at the moment?
Do we? Touk is pretty solid but has never been able to do the freakish stuff like Zorko. Perhaps Rankine turns into that player with more consistency but it's too early to call right now.

How do you feel when he has 25+ disposals, kicks two goals and is very influential in a win over us in a QClash? I've seen that happen so many times it's not funny and I can categorically tell you I'm not thinking 'we made a great decision in not keeping him...'
I feel exactly the same I had already described. That's just me.

Do you have a source on that or is it just here-say?
I am pretty sure, according to KH police interviews, all players who attended a golf tournament in the off-season where KH supplied cocaine, only one player was not involved, did not want it. If I remember correctly 12-15 players participated? (sorry, 1/3 team).

Better hypothetical - if we had exclusive access to a local 22 year old who had been dominating for a Gold Coast-based QAFL team for multiple years, was short in stature and had a bit of a reputation for partying, would you draft him? If your answer is no then that probably says more about your lack of faith in our internal culture to instil professional standards than anything to do with the individual.
Never easy decisions for clubs. And not always clubs get it right despite many people involved in the assessment.

In my hypothetical question I should say if Zorko was 28. I think I know what your answer would be.

Do we? Touk is pretty solid but has never been able to do the freakish stuff like Zorko. Perhaps Rankine turns into that player with more consistency but it's too early to call right now.
I was more thinking about jerk-type player. I would say no.

Personally I don't give a flying you know what about character etc. I'd have tried to work with Charlie Dixon, Harley Bennell, Steven May and any of the other recalcitrant players we've had on the list - except for Hunt who never should have even played. Many other teams in the AFL have dodgy players (Richmond have almost a full team) and Port Power much the same. They win games and manage to keep the other good boys - well, good, so I would have taken Zorko but not now given his age. I sometimes wonder whether Lyons had a mean streak in him as well. It will be interesting to see whether our societal morals work in retaining King, Lukosius, Rankine etc or we lose them anyway.

Personally I don't give a flying you know what about character etc. I'd have tried to work with Charlie Dixon, Harley Bennell, Steven May and any of the other recalcitrant players we've had on the list - except for Hunt who never should have even played. Many other teams in the AFL have dodgy players (Richmond have almost a full team) and Port Power much the same. They win games and manage to keep the other good boys - well, good, so I would have taken Zorko but not now given his age. I sometimes wonder whether Lyons had a mean streak in him as well. It will be interesting to see whether our societal morals work in retaining King, Lukosius, Rankine etc or we lose them anyway.
I think we all would have liked to have seen the players you mentioned have better pastoral care but at the time it was the equivalent of asking crackhead parents to look after their 12 year old kids because they're out on the streets all night
Now our back of house is "in order"(comparatively) hopefully we can deal with these players better and better still not select them in the first place(with reference to the OP and the insights Yeeted Suns has passed on from discussions last week)
Harley was and probably is my all time favourite player.I feel we let him down but that's not saying we could have done more at the time with the resources we had.Sadly though we still had his best years.I'm not sure what pouring resources into a physically frail player would have done other than make us all feel better about not discarding a loved Sun.
Zorko is a dickhead.Always was always will be.I would have struggled to support the Club if he was playing-similar to my feelings on Campbell Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back