2021 Draft and Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neale and Jules won’t be going anywhere. Recently purchased a home in brissy. They are all set for there little one to get here. Not worth the time to think/worry about. Well aware before they moved here that they would be starting a family in Brisbane. Lachie absolutely loves the lifestyle.

Neale and Jules won’t be going anywhere. Recently purchased a home in brissy. They are all set for there little one to get here. Not worth the time to think/worry about. Well aware before they moved here that they would be starting a family in Brisbane. Lachie absolutely loves the lifestyle.
Pretty much what I’ve been told. Second hand.

You wouldn’t happen to go get your hair cut by Jules, would you?

briztoon

1. Outside speed from half back. Can be kicking speed rather than sheer pace but they can’t be a slow mover.
2. Inside mid. Particularly a more defensive minded one. Disposal by hand, tackling and pace; would be the right mix. Think T Mitchell style rather than a C Oliver style.

All pretty much common sense. But Bigfooty is always going to Bigfooty. :D

briztoon

1. Outside speed from half back. Can be kicking speed rather than sheer pace but they can’t be a slow mover.
2. Inside mid. Particularly a more defensive minded one. Disposal by hand, tackling and pace; would be the right mix. Think T Mitchell style rather than a C Oliver style.
I believe we have both those positions covered.

1. would be Jaxon Prior, who’s been playing wing this year. I believe he offers both pace and kicking.

2. pretty much describes Deven Robertson.

I would like an eventual replacement for Dan Rich added through the draft or trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PMBangers made some notes on the WA vs SA U19 game.

I've copied the notes for the WA KPP prospects below. Which one sounds like the best fit for our needs?

#29 Jacob van Rooyen (Claremont)

After making a name for himself as a tall forward option over the past couple of years, van Rooyen has been playing in defence at state level recently, continuing his development in the role with an impressive display. van Rooyen was rarely beaten through the contest, able to spoil the ball when caught behind his opponent, but more often bodying his opponent to protect the drop zone and take the mark. van Rooyen’s disposal was good throughout the game, looking to use it safely out of the defensive 50 but aggressively when going into the forward half. His defensive work-rate stopped a few promising SA plays, working hard to impact the ball on the goal line early on in the game, and then building more confidence to leave his opponent and take marks in front of packs, or fill the hole in defence to take marks from rushed kicks further up the ground.

#30 Jye Amiss (East Perth)

Amiss had an outstanding display, with his two-goal first half particularly impressive. His opening major was the first of the game, where he was held without the ball in a pack inside 50, earning a free kick and kicking well from straight in front. His second was arguably the highlight of the day, collecting a half-volley along the boundary line inside 50, where he took a couple of steps to balance and slotted the goal from about 40 out. Apart from two goals, Amiss showed off his danger on the lead, where he managed to get separation from his opponents easily and held the ball out in front, more often than not looking to pass it off to a teammate leading towards him or hand it off to a runner if he was further up the ground. In keeping teammates involved, he ultimately sacrificed what could’ve been a four or five goal game. It was promising to see Amiss actively look to push up the ground and take marks on the wings, keeping the SA defence guessing and allowing other teammates to be the main target inside 50 at times.

#36 Rhett Bazzo (Swan Districts)

This was somewhat a breakout performance for Bazzo, showing off his reading of the game by taking plenty of intercept marks, but also able to drift across the front of packs and take marks out in front, quickly playing on with the ball. Bazzo more often than not looked to switch the ball across the 50 when he won it, putting it in front of his teammates so they could keep running after they had taken the mark. Bazzo was also confident when pushing up the ground, providing as an option in the corridor, even earning himself a free kick and 25m penalty, unfortunately unable to convert the goal from 50 out, although this was one of very few blemishes on his long kicking with his kick ins from SA behinds often getting distance and kick starting offensive plays. What was arguably most impressive from Bazzo was his two way running, where he’d push back hard when SA won the ball to impact contests inside 50, even spoiling a ball right on the goal line.

#43 Jack Williams (East Fremantle)

Struggling in front of goal for the day, Williams still looked a dangerous option in the forward 50 where his strength was too much for the SA defenders to handle at times, taking contested marks without really looking challenged. That same strength gave him an advantage when he took ruck contests inside 50, pushing opponents out of the way and taking the ball himself or tapping it straight down in front of a teammate. Williams’ work-rate in the forward half can’t be overstated, consistently providing repeat leads and drawing an opponent to free up space for a teammate to lead into. He did get himself on the scoreboard to reward his efforts, pushing an opponent under the ball and taking it over his head, slotting a goal from right in front about 35 out.

Last edited:
If we had my way this thread would only open after our season is completed...
I don't get why people would only ever tag me into their complaints about the thread not being open... I feel like you should suffer through notifications too. :mad:

I've copied the notes for the WA KPP prospects below. Which one sounds like the best fit for our needs?
I thought Bazzo was particularly impressive, and would love him as a potential back up and replacement for Gardiner.

I would really like a third pick in our draft range just so we could target Van Rooyen and Bazzo, along with the best running mid.

Half back not so much a priority for me this draft with the emergence of Keidean Coleman back there.

Not sure about best fit but Van Rooyen and Bazzo are my two preferred choices.

1. would be Jaxon Prior, who’s been playing wing this year. I believe he offers both pace and kicking.

I would like an eventual replacement for Dan Rich added through the draft or trade.
Probably need a plan B as finding a replacement for Rich could be difficult. You can find a player that has cannon but many are not AFL standard.

Probably need a plan B as finding a replacement for Rich could be difficult. You can find a player that has cannon but many are not AFL standard.

Carter Michael looks like he has a decent leg on him.

Potential replacement for Gardiner on your list at all?

I have genuine concerns on his durability going forward.

I realise that Gardner when he is fit is going to be picked but lately I have been wondering if structure wise we are better off with Andrews, Payne and Adams as the starting group. Payne has the size and athleticism to take the big KPFs and Adams can handle taller options probably a bit better than Gardner (although I still worry about Adams by foot quite a lot). Doing that allows Andrews much more freedom to play his best role. Adams and Gardner basically force Andrews into a tighter match up which I think is not using our most influential back to best advantage.

As far as adding another flex defender I would certainly not be against that if someone was there although I would probably grab someone with a little more height than Gardner given we are getting more and more 200cm KPFs in the game. You raised van Rooyan's performance on the weekend and he is certainly one I could see playing that role. He is about 195cm from memory, so a bit taller than Gardner but he seems like a fluid mover with good athleticism. He had an excellent first half on the weekend really dominating the SA forwards. His reading of the play I thought was excellent, his hands and body were good and his skills solid. Quite frankly if we ended up with either van Rooyan or Bazzo I would be happy as I think both will be very solid AFL players as a floor and potentially significantly better than that. So low risk end of first round picks if we went that route.

If anyone remembers Bontempelli's draft was he known as being pretty quick and athletic coming into the league? Or was he more of a slower, laconic type on mover?
Just wondering how much a players athleticism can improve as they get older and are in an AFL system with a trainer.

My thoughts from the time

Marcus Bontemepelli
DOB 24/11/95 Ht 194 Wt 84

Bontempelli looks like the kind of mid that all coaches are trying to bring in at the moment. Everyone is trying to add height to their midfield and he certainly offers that. He seems to be working his way up the draft boards and at the time of writing I would be surprised if he fell past the Lions at 7 and he is a real chance to be taken in at 4 if Kelly and Billings are off the board.

It has been widely reported that Bontempelli measured in at 194cm at the combine and then also reported that there was a problem with the measuring and that they could have been up to 2cm out. Working out who measured right and whose height has been inflated is an impossible task without looking at what they have measured before (information I don’t have). With that said Bontempelli is one guy who I expect to have measured a little above his actual height. It could be right though as he is definitely a tall guy and with a November birthday he could well have grown since he was last measured.

The November birthday is something that should be kept in mind when assessing him as it would be a fair assumption that he may have a bit more natural development to go than others, some of whom are almost a year older than he is. He has really developed over the latter part of the year after finishing the Champs strong. He was a little disappointing before that but now he has really reasserted himself as a top prospect and would be on everyone’s radar.

It is worth noting that he only averaged 14 disposals across his 4 games at the Champs and 16 disposals in his 9 TAC games. He played a fair bit of school football this year and when he returned to TAC action around the Champs time he finished in the best for the Knights in every game he played from there to the end of the year. His last Champs game against Vic Country was also impressive with him returning 21 disposals in a very good game for him.

One of the things which gets talked up with Bontempelli is his kicking and personally I think his effectiveness is overstated. He has a very stylish left foot kicking action but quite a few of his kicks do not go where they should. I am sure people will point to his good kicking efficiency percentage but that is bolstered by the fact that he goes long mostly and as far as I am aware anything over 35m is considered effective. He can deliver some really nice passes but fairly often his kicks are to no real advantage. Often he looks so good with his kicking that you assume that he is hitting his targets but that is not always the case. I think his decision making seems good and he takes the right options it’s just that his execution is not as good as it perhaps could be.

On the other side of the coin one feature of his game which I really rate and which is largely being overlooked is his handballing. Bontempelli is a very attacking handballer who sets up a lot of good forward movement through his use by hand. He is not super quick by hand but quick enough and he assesses situations quickly and executes his handball skills very well. He hits his targets in stride and where they need it. He is not a particularly long handballer he just gets it to the right spots.

Bontempelli will start his career probably on a flank but will move into the midfield as he develops. He has worked on his inside game and it is coming along but it is still not a strength of his game. At clearances he tends to sit off as a receiver mostly but when the ball comes to him he will put his head over it and he is reasonably effective. It is likely he will start as a fairly outside player but the potential is there to add an inside game as he develops.

In the open field he runs really nicely. He has very good endurance and good top end speed. He lacks explosiveness though and takes some time to get up to top speed. At the Combine he was in the bottom 10% over the first 5m of the 20m but was able to finish in the 50th percentile over the 30m repeat sprint. He is tall and lean and presents as a pretty big target for tacklers but he is surprisingly strong and elusive and does a good job of shrugging or making tacklers miss. When he is tackled he keeps his arms free nicely. When tackling himself he is willing enough but tends to arm tackle too much and this is something which will need attention when he hits the AFL.

The obvious comparison that I have not seen made for Bontempelli is to Brendon Goddard. Both have the same lean build, excellent height and can play at either end or through the midfield. Bontempelli is going to be drafted higher than his performances this year warrant but I do like the potential there and I can understand teams doing it. He is a tempting package.

I realise that Gardner when he is fit is going to be picked but lately I have been wondering if structure wise we are better off with Andrews, Payne and Adams as the starting group. Payne has the size and athleticism to take the big KPFs and Adams can handle taller options probably a bit better than Gardner (although I still worry about Adams by foot quite a lot). Doing that allows Andrews much more freedom to play his best role. Adams and Gardner basically force Andrews into a tighter match up which I think is not using our most influential back to best advantage.

As far as adding another flex defender I would certainly not be against that if someone was there although I would probably grab someone with a little more height than Gardner given we are getting more and more 200cm KPFs in the game. You raised van Rooyan's performance on the weekend and he is certainly one I could see playing that role. He is about 195cm from memory, so a bit taller than Gardner but he seems like a fluid mover with good athleticism. He had an excellent first half on the weekend really dominating the SA forwards. His reading of the play I thought was excellent, his hands and body were good and his skills solid. Quite frankly if we ended up with either van Rooyan or Bazzo I would be happy as I think both will be very solid AFL players as a floor and potentially significantly better than that. So low risk end of first round picks if we went that route.
From memory, start of the year measurements; Van Rooyen 194cm, Bazzo 195cm.

Carter Michael looks like he has a decent leg on him.

He lacks precision on his kicks at the moment and his defensive work needs to improve.

With that said he looked better than I expected him to this year and his ability to accumulate ball off half back was impressive and something that Fagan values in his attacking flankers.

Prior has disappointed me a bit this year with his seeming difficulty finding the ball. Coming out of his junior days I was not expecting this to be a problem but his positioning to receive has not been fantastic. Perhaps there has been a defensive focus to his role which will be freed up next year but he does need to get to dangerous space better. I do think he and Sharp have potential as hard running wing options and both can be dangerous in their own ways. I really like how both are strong and well balanced for young players.

Robertson I am expecting to take a jump like we have seen from Bailey this year. I am not saying in the same role as Bailey merely that his production I think will go up quite a lot. He showed a good all around game this year and got a reasonable amount of ball in games where he was given more of an opportunity to do so. He is not the best mover aesthetically but he demonstrated some nice pace and endurance this year which I think will help the midfield unit going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back