2021 Draft and Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jordan Sweet will debut for the Dogs this weekend. Teams looking for a ruck will be paying close attention.

If they want to keep playing English forward he might get their number 1 ruck spot next year

Jordan Sweet will debut for the Dogs this weekend. Teams looking for a ruck will be paying close attention.
Good to see a team being smart about rotation. No need for Stef to play that game so good chance to see what Sweet can do

Is Jack Steele gettable. OOC at the end of next season and maybe the saints aren't as good as the club might have thought. Plus they have recruited heavily so he may not get the coin he thinks he is worth. Maybe the pull of a genuine premiership contender too.

Wouldn't have thought so. He's a co-captain with Geary, with Geary near the end of his career.

Is Jack Steele gettable. OOC at the end of next season and maybe the saints aren't as good as the club might have thought. Plus they have recruited heavily so he may not get the coin he thinks he is worth. Maybe the pull of a genuine premiership contender too.

You’d sell the farm for someone like Steele

https://www.afl.com.au/news/583754/...e-in-the-trade-period-meet-2021-s-pre-agents-

I reckon we steal another F/S gun from a big Vic club and get Darcy Moore as a "pre agent".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mature ruck watch:
GAULT INFLUENTIAL AGAINST AFL-LISTED RUCKS

Swan Districts ruckman Corey Gault showed his work rate around the ground in a quality rucking display. Although the Swans lost the hit out count (48-30), Gault was easily the most influential big man on the ground. He had 24 hit outs himself, to go along with his 21 disposals and a goal. The former Magpie has continued his impressive form to start the 2021 season.
To go with 7 marks and two tackles. Gault would be my pick if we go with a mature ruck at the MSD.

Couple of other good performances:

Scott Jones, 25, East Perth - 25 HO, 13 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 3 goals.

Fraser Thurlow, 28, Southport - 49 HO, 12 disposals, 8 marks, 3 goals.

Brayden Crossley, 21, Southport - 24 HO, 16 disposals, 5 marks, 8 tackles.

Mature ruck watch:

To go with 7 marks and two tackles. Gault would be my pick if we go with a mature ruck at the MSD.

Couple of other good performances:

Scott Jones, 25, East Perth - 25 HO, 13 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 3 goals.

Fraser Thurlow, 28, Southport - 49 HO, 12 disposals, 8 marks, 3 goals.

Brayden Crossley, 21, Southport - 24 HO, 16 disposals, 5 marks, 8 tackles.
Reports that GC are considering Thurlow.

2022 > https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/202...021-vic-metro-vs-vic-country-under-17-trials/

#9 Will Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons)

The Sandringham prospect and son of gun former-Brisbane player Marcus Ashcroft was one of Metro’s best players, winning plenty of clearances and breaking away from congestion. Ashcroft is a talented midfielder much like his father was, and at 183cm looks a top prospect for the 2022 draft. He was able to kick his only goal in the first quarter with a free kick, but converted the set shot from 50 metres out, showing his great kicking skills. Ashcroft has a great mix of skill and burst from stoppages, which is a highly regarded trait. Ashcroft had a few shots at goal stopped on the line and he could have had a much bigger day, but he certainly looks like a player to watch at the upcoming Under 17 championships.

Unless Both Oscar and Archie are out injured by round 11, I don’t see the point in drafting a state league ruck, unless we honestly expect them to be our long term back up ruck for the next 3 to 5 years.

Are any of them going to be better than Archie this year?

I’d much rather draft a young ruck with a perceived greater potential, and develop them for the future.

Or draft a kid in another position, and look for a back up ruck from another club or state league during the end of season trade period.

Unless Both Oscar and Archie are out injured by round 11, I don’t see the point in drafting a state league ruck, unless we honestly expect them to be our long term back up ruck for the next 3 to 5 years.

Are any of them going to be better than Archie this year?

I’d much rather draft a young ruck with a perceived greater potential, and develop them for the future.

Or draft a kid in another position, and look for a back up ruck from another club or state league during the end of season trade period.
There is a definite possibilty we draft someone in the MSD. Not convinced it will be a Ruck though.

I think we should take someone although I believe unless there is a desperate need we should take a 19 year old. I do think we should have another ruck on our list and there are a few about who seem to be playing well at the moment. No issue with us taking one. By the same token if someone else really looks like they could develop into a very good player than we should go that route.

FWIW I was impressed by Tasker on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back