2021 Draft and Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you ask, Nah we don't want Josh Schache back. ;)

It would have to be way overs for the Lions to even consider moving Jack on, a long way to go but IMO he is an elite KPD in the making, he's only 21 years of age, 197cm tall, 101kg, has tremendous pace for a man his size and is as strong as an ox. His kicking can let him down at times but has shown enough for me to think with becoming more comfortable at the level will be quite a good kick.
I'd up the offer from a 2nd to a 1st if you take Schache with it ;)

Yeah big guys with that much pace don't grow on trees. It's why we've tried to fast track Gardner's development despite his early struggles. Would be an outstanding fit for the Dogs which is why I want him, and why I don't mind overpaying if it comes to it

Yeah big guys with that much pace don't grow on trees. It's why we've tried to fast track Gardner's development despite his early struggles. Would be an outstanding fit for the Dogs which is why I want him, and why I don't mind overpaying if it comes to it

A shame you guys couldn't keep Adams on the park would be a perfect fit

A shame you guys couldn't keep Adams on the park would be a perfect fit
If anyone was going to manage to keep him fit, I figured it would be either you guys or the Hawks. Would have been perfect if we were actually able to keep him on the park, but had no luck there. He seems to be doing well so far this season, so fingers crossed it stays that way as it seems like every time he looks to be getting a good run at it, some major injury happens to wipe out his season. 44 games from five and half years is way under what you'd expect from a player of his quality

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but Mathew Lloyd was talking on a video on the afl website today about Zach Merritt's future. A factor will be his desire to play finals soon, nearly every club is chasing him. BUT he specifically mentioned he knew Danniher had been in his ear... 🙂 Am really loving having big Joey in Brisbane.

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but Mathew Lloyd was talking on a video on the afl website today about Zach Merritt's future. A factor will be his desire to play finals soon, nearly every club is chasing him. BUT he specifically mentioned he knew Danniher had been in his ear... 🙂 Am really loving having big Joey in Brisbane.
Go Joey, get your man up here! Hugh is on the rise. Neale is a Brownlow medallist, Lyon is underrated outside of the Lions, Zorko adds a bit of zip around the ball and if we were able to get Merrett that would be that extra A grade mid that would help to tip us over to having one of the elite, top midfields of the competition.

Go Joey, get your man up here! Hugh is on the rise. Neale is a Brownlow medallist, Lyon is underrated outside of the Lions, Zorko adds a bit of zip around the ball and if we were able to get Merrett that would be that extra A grade mid that would help to tip us over to having one of the elite, top midfields of the competition.
Neale, McCluggage, Merrett, Lyons with Bailey, Berry, Rayner, Zorko ect. helping out. A great midfield on paper.

Might be wrong but can't see the Doggies or anyone paying a first rounder for Payne. But couldn't see us letting him go for anything less. Just the way trades & the over rating of draft picks goes I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Merrett would be a no brainer for us.

Obviously that would mean clearing the decks somewhat to make a little room.

I doubt it could happen but if it was a possibility I'd be taking all measures.

not sure we draft anyone in. Unless there is a kid we like
Ruck we took Henry Smith as a long term ruck.
Have Archie if fit and Joe/Ballenden/Fullarton to pinch hit if Oscar goes down again.
Not sure how much of a upgrade we get on those in the mid season, as you say the Suns etc get in before us.

End of year can see we look at a older ruck if we do not take Archie for another year.

not sure we draft anyone in. Unless there is a kid we like
Ruck we took Henry Smith as a long term ruck.
Have Archie if fit and Joe/Ballenden/Fullarton to pinch hit if Oscar goes down again.
Not sure how much of a upgrade we get on those in the mid season, as you say the Suns etc get in before us.

End of year can see we look at a older ruck if we do not take Archie for another year.
We've already had one period this year where both Oscar and Archie were injured simultaneously and there's every chance it could happen in the finals. And when we had to rely on Fullarton and Ballenden to ruck, they got destroyed by Grundy. Fortunately our midfield could read his taps, but that's not something I'd like to depend on. I maintain there are multiple better state league rucks than Archie too.

If we've got the opportunity to strengthen our depth for a flag charge, I think we'd be foolish not to use it. That doesn't necessarily have to be at ruck, for example key forward could be another area where we might want to strengthen our depth. Injuries can strike at any time and mean the difference between winning and losing a finals game.

What would Payne be worth in a trade? No secret that Lions have serious KPD depth, while Dogs hardly have more than one AFL standard KPD, and we chased him last year
I reckon he is a 2nd round, based on the potential he has shown. I am not too sure Lions will release him as he is contracted until 2022, and not sure of the circumstances why the 'Dogs' were not able to get the trade done last year.
Interesting that the Lions picked him in the best 22 for the first 3 games, this year, before he was injured and is still out injured. That might be a strong indication that the Lions intend to play him and see him in the medium term as in their best 22.

We've already had one period this year where both Oscar and Archie were injured simultaneously and there's every chance it could happen in the finals. And when we had to rely on Fullarton and Ballenden to ruck, they got destroyed by Grundy. Fortunately our midfield could read his taps, but that's not something I'd like to depend on. I maintain there are multiple better state league rucks than Archie too.

If we've got the opportunity to strengthen our depth for a flag charge, I think we'd be foolish not to use it. That doesn't necessarily have to be at ruck, for example key forward could be another area where we might want to strengthen our depth. Injuries can strike at any time and mean the difference between winning and losing a finals game.

I think Fullarton and Ballenden will improve and also McStay is fit and Daniher has more match fitness. We might want a backup for Archie and Oscar but I don't think it's necessary. I also want Fullarton to get time rucking in the 2s

Which position do you all think we're thinnest in depth for at the moment? That might determine which direction we go in with the mid-season draft pick.

We have zero viable KPFs in the reserves. I have watched quite a lot of reserves in the last few years and nothing Fullarton has done suggests to me that he will ever by a full time KPF. 3rd forward back up ruck seems his ceiling for me. Ballenden now certainly a back.

Inside mid is the other where I think we lack depth at the moment. We are playing a lot of guys out of position so that may be misleading but for me there is no-one I am confident stepping in and winning clearances for us.

Are there any other teams that might be looking for a ruck in the mid season draft, other than Gold Coast?

My view of the mid season draft, and obviously coming from some one with no knowledge of the talent in the various state leagues, is that there’s been very little talk on the mid season draft thread, on the draft board, of mature age talent.

Most of the talk has centred around the 19 year olds that “missed” out last year, and so far the most impressive kids in NAB League have been the 4 rucks.

The notable omission is Henry Walsh who is playing in the Geelong amateur league this year, and do well apparently.

The very best U19 talent most likely goes in the first 5 picks, after that I expect teams to go in with specific players in mind, and if they’re off the board, teams will pass on their picks.

There’s little point filling out your list at the mid season draft if the draftee isn’t a long term prospect.

The other point to consider, is if the prospect is ready to move mid season.

I’d willing add an interstate U19 talent and leave them where they are for the remainder of the season if they were viewed as a long term prospect.

We have zero viable KPFs in the reserves. I have watched quite a lot of reserves in the last few years and nothing Fullarton has done suggests to me that he will ever by a full time KPF. 3rd forward back up ruck seems his ceiling for me. Ballenden now certainly a back.

Inside mid is the other where I think we lack depth at the moment. We are playing a lot of guys out of position so that may be misleading but for me there is no-one I am confident stepping in and winning clearances for us.
Do you include Robertson there?

The little talk I have heard from the club, from post draft interviews, is that Henry Smith is viewed as a ruck forward, and not a pure ruck.

I’ve also had it mentioned to me that we might have forward prospect in next year’s academy crop, but he’s in the Noah McFadyen mold.

Last edited:

The little talk I have heard from the club, from post draft interviews, is that Henry Smith is viewed as a ruck forward, and not a pure ruck.

I’ve also had it mentioned to me that we might have forward prospect in next year’s academy crop, but he’s in the Noah McFadyen mold.

CEY and Matho

I think Fullarton and Ballenden will improve and also McStay is fit and Daniher has more match fitness. We might want a backup for Archie and Oscar but I don't think it's necessary. I also want Fullarton to get time rucking in the 2s
It's not a backup for Archie that I'm suggesting.

Well-reasoned. An injury to one or two of our key forwards might screw up our game plan, and another KPF would help insure against that.

Doubt we'd select any state league inside mid, because judging by past drafts, they just don't seem to get picked up no matter how impressive they are. Maybe a young inside mid will get selected though.

Robertson got a heap of it inside and out as a junior and might become a good inside mid. I do think that is his position. With that said though I think it is far from certain and he has not really looked like winning much on the inside in his AFL games so far. So I am hopeful but I think it is a long way from certain that he answers the need there.

One inside mid I have liked so far from the VFL has been Josh Green playing for GWS. Big inside mid similar to his brother. He lacks a bit of pace but I think he will be a player. Could be a nice midyear pick up from under GWSs nose.

On Smith it looked very much like he was being set as a forward / ruck when he played in the VFL. When Archie went down he still rucked very little even at VFL level. That being the case I would support us picking up a tap ruck prospect to quietly develop in the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back