2021 Draft and Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Each year there is good players that come out late in the 1st. The make up of the draft is almost irrelevant & in fact become throw away lines. It solely rests with recruiters ability to select well (some luck also helps).

I won’t use 2020 it’s too early but the example of 2018 is a good case in point.

Shallow depth to 15 & 17 range? Well I hope like hell we can pick up a replica of the player taken at 18 in the 2018 draft. Would suit needs perfectly 😜 in fact give us 2 of him please.

At worst 2 shots at the top 18 shouldn’t be sneezed at. No matter what the BF ‘experts’, let alone recruiters want to say about a draft in the lead up.
Yeah, I knew I should have gone one more pick out for Duursma. (and just in case you missed the 2018 draft thread, I was banging on about Duursma from early in the year, as he was a firm favourite of mine).

But that exactly illustrates my point, there’s a drop off in genuine talent at some point in every draft.

In 2018 that was pick 13/14, because of the three nga/academy kids the were projected to go in the first round.

Our first pick came after pick 18, and there’s a marked difference in performance to date there.

If you look at the next 12 kids from that draft, there’s maybe only 1 or 2 who have shown they might have a decent AFL career.

The make up of a draft isn’t irrelevant, it can greatly impact on a teams potential selections, or willingness to trade picks in to the future.

Remember we traded out two top 18 picks last year for one top 18 pick this year (plus later picks in last year’s draft).

As for luck, well for me, luck is teams like Geelong, Richmond and Carlton reaching for project talls or kids with certain athletic profiles, rather than going Dev Robertson.

Each year there is good players that come out late in the 1st. The make up of the draft is almost irrelevant & in fact become throw away lines. It solely rests with recruiters ability to select well (some luck also helps).

I won’t use 2020 it’s too early but the example of 2018 is a good case in point.

Shallow depth to 15 & 17 range? Well I hope like hell we can pick up a replica of the player taken at 18 in the 2018 draft. Would suit needs perfectly 😜 in fact give us 2 of him please.

At worst 2 shots at the top 18 shouldn’t be sneezed at. No matter what the BF ‘experts’, let alone recruiters want to say about a draft in the lead up.
Also on the bolded, posters from the draft board have been hired by clubs as scouts, and into the footy media.

Plus AFL Draft Central is a full time publication, with both full time and part time staff. What they do, it’s their job. The end of year draft guide they put out, gets used in the industry, and the Fox commentary team at the last two drafts each had a copy sitting in front of them, they were referring to.

Not everyone is some numpty sitting at home, there’s a lot there who get out and watch these kids and can give educated opinions.

Read them myself and appreciate their work. Notice I also mentioned AFL recruiters? When fielding questions prior and post the draft descriptions are provided from both sources. These tend to be latched on & used to described these particular drafts in years to come. There is always the opportunity to look back in reasonable time to form own opinions. Really didn’t want to go off on this tangent.

What we appear to agree on is if we retain both our 2021 1st round selections we should end up with good players. I believe this should be the case in any draft, with given selections.

Read them myself and appreciate their work. Notice I also mentioned AFL recruiters? When fielding questions prior and post the draft descriptions are provided from both sources. These tend to be latched on & used to described these particular drafts in years to come. There is always the opportunity to look back in reasonable time to form own opinions. Really didn’t want to go off on this tangent.

What we appear to agree on is if we retain both our 2021 1st round selections we should end up with good players. I believe this should be the case in any draft, with given selections.
It’s the draft and trade thread, and the tangent is a worthy discussion topic.

I don’t believe it’s possible to find good players at every spot in the draft. That just doesn’t happen, particularly when clubs start drafting for need as opposed to best player available.

I’m a firm believe that every draft contains tiers, and it’s preferable to hold picks in certain tiers, and possibly even at specific parts of a tier.

I’m a firm believe that every draft contains tiers, and it’s preferable to hold picks in certain tiers, and possibly even at specific parts of a tier.

I would agree if these tiers also apply to player types. Some of the better KPP's are usually down the order because they are not so immediate.

There's not too many good players that fall through the net these days.

It's hard to work out what the Lions actually "need" from a list perspective, considering their KPP & mid stocks. It's probably the best balanced list in the AFL at the moment. Perhaps some outside pace, half backs and a project ruck.

I would agree if these tiers also apply to player types. Some of the better KPP's are usually down the order because they are not so immediate.

There's not too many good players that fall through the net these days.

It's hard to work out what the Lions actually "need" from a list perspective, considering their KPP & mid stocks. It's probably the best balanced list in the AFL at the moment. Perhaps some outside pace, half backs and a project ruck.

Pretty reasonable assessment. I'd add explosive midfielder, but then every club wants one of those so sort of goes without saying. But half back and outside run are the most obvious areas.

I think we filled the project ruck position last year in the draft, we are more potentially needing a veteran backup depending on if we move out Archie Smith. I wouldn't discount grabbing an intercepting medium/tall back either. We have depth in that position but if we could get a gun in that position that would assist.

Pretty reasonable assessment. I'd add explosive midfielder, but then every club wants one of those so sort of goes without saying. But half back and outside run are the most obvious areas.

I think we filled the project ruck position last year in the draft, we are more potentially needing a veteran backup depending on if we move out Archie Smith. I wouldn't discount grabbing an intercepting medium/tall back either. We have depth in that position but if we could get a gun in that position that would assist.
I believe we’ll possibly address outside run at next years draft, with a couple of academy kids looking like potential prospects there.

I’d say big bodied/explosive midfielder, half back and KPD are our most likely list needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich, Birchall and Robinson are entering the twilight, but the good news is that half backs tend to come to hand pretty quickly and the Lions are also squarely in the trade window right now.

I agree with the explosive mid need. The biggest depth need that I see at the moment is at KPF. People will still have hopes for Fullarton but I am not seeing him as a marking KPF at AFL level. I would like us to bring in a young prospect to develop.

With the backs I think we are probably okay at the moment. I still have hopes for Ballenden.

I agree with the explosive mid need. The biggest depth need that I see at the moment is at KPF. People will still have hopes for Fullarton but I am not seeing him as a marking KPF at AFL level. I would like us to bring in a young prospect to develop.

With the backs I think we are probably okay at the moment. I still have hopes for Ballenden.
I think we are OK for KPD also, Payne has just committed until the end of 2024. I think Adams probably gets offered another contract (but probably on less with money + game triggers for a 2nd or 3rd year) and I think Ballenden can offer something, just needs a couple more kilos of muscle to be able to play some type of lockdown role, but his strength is intercepting.

Every club would like an explosive, big bodied mid they don’t come along often.

I’d be keen on any super fit midfielder who can pressure and get to repeat contests.
This might be the draft for them, as there are 3 or 4 kids spoken about as potential first round talent that fit stereotype.

We're probably in a position where we should be taking best player available, but on the other hand I think we should also take some dart throws on athletic upside too, particularly in the early rounds if they are close to best player available/reasonably in the conversation.

We're probably in a position where we should be taking best player available, but on the other hand I think we should also take some dart throws on athletic upside too, particularly in the early rounds if they are close to best player available/reasonably in the conversation.

We probably need to look further ahead. Both for. When Robbo, Rich, Zorko are done but also with how we expect the game to evolve

Which I think we saw with the recruitment of Sharp last year. Very different type to who we’ve previously looked at

Morris is saying the Saints might let Billings go if they can get first round compensation.

Offer both our first round picks imo. I think he would be a great get for us and would be just the kind of player we need. There is plenty of upside there I think.

Billings is too soft for today’s game

Billings is too soft for today’s game

I disagree. He plays very outside for the Saints and is certainly not a clearance player but his contested possession numbers are consistent with most wingers in the competition many of whom go into the clearances more than he does. He is a receiver in these situations and he has very nice skills especially delivering into the forward 50. The forwards would love the step up in service they would get coming into them. His tackles numbers are equivalent to McCluggages and better than the likes of Gaff.

Him coming to the Lions is obviously a long shot but I think he plays a role that I would like to see Coleman play for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back