Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How often does a player go into his draft year a relative unknown to end up being a contender for pick 1?
Went at 3 but many consider him the hindsight number 1 pick.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hugh didn’t play in the U16 championships for Vic country.

Wasn’t on any draft watchers radar after his bottom age year, wasn’t mentioned in any discussions coming in to 2016.

From memory, it was his Ballarat rebels coach who got him added to the AFL academy squad during the 2016 preseason. So he didn’t come through the “elite” pathway, but was a late addition. (Neither McGrath or Taranto were part of the AFL academy either, but both played U16 Championships).

So Hugh was very much a late developer.

I’m sure there are some here who watched the Rebels U16 team, so would be able to compare both boys U16 years at the Rebels.
My info is from someone heavily involved in the school footy program that both McCluggage’s have been involved in. Hugh a long way in front at this point.

I wonder if SPS could be coaxed out of Carlton.

I've been looking at Zach Merrett thread and thinking if we'll do another Daniher this year, get Bombers a top 5 compo pick hopefully.

Been thinking for a while he might be a handy Mitch Robinson replacement.
I think that probably disregards the amount of gut running that Mitch does. SPS is not a particularly strong endurance athlete, I don't think.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Been thinking for a while he might be a handy Mitch Robinson replacement.

Berry Jnr has the same kind of attacking hard edge to his defensive play. Skills a bit better but not finding the ball as much. Cockatoo also might suit that role.

I actually rate SPS very highly and would love to have him in the side. Not exactly sure where I would play him though. Onball I thought he looked great as a junior. Down back he has done a reasonable job as well although I am not sure if I would play him there long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would SPS cost? Wouldn't think a first rounder probably a pick in the 20's?

Based on last years form, may be a second or third rounder. I didn't follow him closely, just paraphrasing commentary from people who know more on the draft/trade board. He was played out of position and should be playing onball according to most of them.

Carlton supporters were saying he's currently worth more to them than what they'll get in a trade.

I wouldn’t mind just investing in the draft.

Quick and/or skillful half back would be our greatest need.

I agree with that sentiment as well as I feel we have covered most of our needs now in our Best 22 & beyond and would just give better contracts to players such as McCluggage, Bailey & Starcevich this year as well as Robertson, Rayner, Colemans and the Berrys (when the time comes again to resign) for the next 5-10 years our football club.

I think the most pressing need for our team in this upcoming trade period later on in the year IMO however would be another ruckman who can either cover for the Big O if he is injured or provide support to his work if Fagan continues to stick with his 2 Ruckman match tactics.

That's why I was quite surprised we didn't go harder at Ceglar in 2019 and then didn't even bother to ask Hickey last trade period about coming over here, even though we knew Martin was leaving to the Doggies at the end.

The other main need would also be a speedy half-back like quoted before however I think we have enough cover ATM with Prior, Madden, Answerth, Bailey, Ah Chee & Michael all providing depth or being able to play that role if needed to so maybe 2022 trade period when Birchall retires could be a option.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree with that sentiment as well as I feel we have covered most of our needs now in our Best 22 & beyond and would just give better contracts to players such as McCluggage, Bailey & Starcevich this year as well as Robertson, Rayner, Colemans and the Berrys (when the time comes again to resign) for the next 5-10 years our football club.

I think the most pressing need for our team in this upcoming trade period later on in the year IMO however would be another ruckman who can either cover for the Big O if he is injured or provide support to his work if Fagan continues to stick with his 2 Ruckman match tactics.

That's why I was quite surprised we didn't go harder at Ceglar in 2019 and then didn't even bother to ask Hickey last trade period about coming over here, even though we knew Martin was leaving to the Doggies at the end.

The other main need would also be a speedy half-back like quoted before however I think we have enough cover ATM with Prior, Madden, Answerth, Bailey, Ah Chee & Michael all providing depth or being able to play that role if needed to so maybe 2022 trade period when Birchall retires could be a option.

Agreed but usually these trades are pretty simple. If we target a non-best 22 ruck from another club it'll be an easy trade.

Agreed but usually these trades are pretty simple. If we target a non-best 22 ruck from another club it'll be an easy trade.

Yeah true.

But who said we ain't going for someone like a Gawn or a Grundy though lol instead ;)

I thought we were a "Destination Club" for a reason :tearsofjoy:

The other thing as well is I know it isn't draft or trade related via players wise

But..................

We also need to find a suitable replacement when Fagan does retire as coach cause as much as I love Fages and what he has brought to our club over these past 5 years, he is turning 60 this year and I do worry if he does retire maybe could bottom out again like history has shown us with inexperienced coaches at our club over the years :huh:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
The other thing as well is I know it isn't draft or trade related via players wise

But..................

We also need to find a suitable replacement when Fagan does retire as coach cause as much as I love Fages and what he has brought to our club over these past 5 years, he is turning 60 this year and I do worry if he does retire maybe could bottom out again like history has shown us with inexperienced coaches at our club over the years :huh:
Clarko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back