briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
He looks the goods, hoping there's 6-7 good top end talents come years end. Do you know Will Ashcroft is playing his footy this year?
I believe there’s 6 or 7 kids a lot of draft watchers expect to make up the top tier of this years draft.

That being said, I don’t believe either ours or Melbourne’s first round picks will fall that low. (Unless either team’s season gets derailed by injuries)

Ashcroft should be in the Sandringham team and Brighton Grammar this year. Played in that scratch match as well.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
And Twomey talking up Nick Daicos as pick 1 material, in the same class as Lachie Whitfield and Matt Rowell, after his performance in Collingwood’s VFL team on the weekend.

Last edited:

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I believe there’s 6 or 7 kids a lot of draft watchers expect to make up the top tier of this years draft.

That being said, I don’t believe either ours or Melbourne’s first round picks will fall that low. (Unless either team’s season gets derailed by injuries)

Ashcroft should be in the Sandringham team and Brighton Grammar this year. Played in that scratch match as well.

Well we already have injuries to 3 key players although 2 should be back soon. Comp is so close if we are off the boil for a month or so it wouldn't surprise me to see us with a top 10 pick.

Also we could potentially trade our 2 picks for a top 3/5 pick

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Well we already have injuries to 3 key players although 2 should be back soon. Comp is so close if we are off the boil for a month or so it wouldn't surprise me to see us with a top 10 pick.

Also we could potentially trade our 2 picks for a top 3/5 pick
I always struggle to see why a team would trade out of the elite prospect range, unless they have a very high end father son or academy selection, that will likely see their first pick used up in matching a bid.

mattsmob

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
OKC Thunder
I know it's early but I think we should try and get up as high as we can in this draft to bring in a genuine top 3-5 type of talent. Don't think it's much good us drafting multiple players around the 10-30 range as we've already got some young guys that are struggling to get games as it is. Ideally Ashcroft has a good underage year and we can find ourselves being able to move our future first as well

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I know it's early but I think we should try and get up as high as we can in this draft to bring in a genuine top 3-5 type of talent. Don't think it's much good us drafting multiple players around the 10-30 range as we've already got some young guys that are struggling to get games as it is. Ideally Ashcroft has a good underage year and we can find ourselves being able to move our future first as well
We and all clubs would try to do that every year, rare that clubs want to move on a top 3-5 selection for multiple lower first round selections unless as you say they have a high ranked academy player likely to be bid on before their first eg. JUH.

Agree, a great scenario would be Will Ashcroft turns about to be a top 5 prospect and we then have the opportunity to move on our 2022 first and have 3 first round selections this year to use on a trade in or a move up the order.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

How often would a team not want to move up the draft?

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If the 2021 draft is perceived to be a deep one it's probably best to keep our two low teen picks. Also teams wishing to fast track a rebuild may prefer those picks to one top 5 pick. On top of that a top 3 pick can be Paddy Dow and a pick in the teens Paddy Cripps. This years trade/draft will be a very interesting one for the Lions

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
My current view on this years draft.

There’s almost a clear top 5 going off of SA’s and WA’s junior last year, and the 2019 U16 Championships.

Then I reckon from 6 to 15 is good depth for the second tier of kids.

No one had Logan McDonald in their top 10 this time last year. So there’s a fair chance at least one kid will join the top group in this year’s draft.

If you look at top 7 from from last year’s draft, with the exception of McDonald, everyone had the other 6 players as the elite group in last year’s draft a year out. So I’d say the genuine draft watchers have a pretty good handle on which are the top kids.

If we wanted to trade in to the top 5, I believe it would cost two picks in the 6 to 12 range, with one of those picks needing to be either pick 6 or 7.

We would probably have to include our 2022 first round pick as well, to manage that.

Unless we’re guaranteed to get Horne or Sinn with that pick, that’s a steep price to pay to move up.

I don’t usually like the SA kids due to a personal bias, but an Arlo Draper and Lewis Rayson combo would be a good draft haul for us.

1C037692-3EB8-44AD-B37A-56E481B9E2F1.jpeg

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Agree on trying to move our 2022 draft pick. The notion of moving up is a bit of a fallacy as it doesn’t really happen however moving a first round pick from future drafts is more likely. If we were able to have a draft like Port did in 2018 would be great.

Agree on trying to move our 2022 draft pick. The notion of moving up is a bit of a fallacy as it doesn’t really happen however moving a first round pick from future drafts is more likely. If we were able to have a draft like Port did in 2018 would be great.
Have Collingwood still got their first?
Because you would think they would want to be moving out if they haven’t already?

Have Collingwood still got their first?
Because you would think they would want to be moving out if they haven’t already?
Pretty sure GWS got that.

Cripps needs a fresh start. Make it happen ;)

Looks like the recent rule changes are negating a player like Cripps too easy. Daring play style, scores starting from defensive 50 and gut running from the team in waves once they win footy are all the rage now. Our lock the ball in F50 for repeat entries style may struggle going forward.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Tom Green OOC at the Giants at the end of the season, would be an ideal fit and a definite style need for us, maybe unlikely but hope we have asked the question.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Tom Green OOC at the Giants at the end of the season, would be an ideal fit and a definite style need for us, maybe unlikely but hope we have asked the question.
That’s wishful thinking in the extreme.

If he was to leave GWS, there’s only one team in the running. Richmond.

I don't even think I want to trade out picks. Unless Oliver is saying 'make me a Lion' take those two first rounders and the one from next year we won't need and turn them into 2-3 dynamic, top tier kids. Seeing how one very good draft revitalised Port and Sydney has made me a little jealous.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't even think I want to trade out picks. Unless Oliver is saying 'make me a Lion' take those two first rounders and the one from next year we won't need and turn them into 2-3 dynamic, top tier kids. Seeing how one very good draft revitalised Port and Sydney has made me a little jealous.

Yep something similar to our 2017 or Ports 2018. Reckon our guys could work wonders with 3 top 15 picks

Yep something similar to our 2017 or Ports 2018. Reckon our guys could work wonders with 3 top 15 picks

For what was supposed to be a weak draft few teams did really well out of 2017. Lions, Freo and Eagles laughing.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Both Port and Sydney had a top 5 pick at each of those drafts. Sydney ended up with two.

Early opinions are that the second tier of prospects in this year’s draft are at the same standard as those from the 2018 draft, and it’s probably deeper.

So we could potentially end up with 3 picks in that second tier group if a team wants to trade out a late first round pick (looking at Port if Jase Burgoyne factors in as a potential late first round talent).
To keep the window open, so to speak, we will be needing another class mid, a big bodied ruck and a sm/med halfback with pace that can tackle. Not much to ask is it?
can get all three this year if we want.

Sandringham have two good rucks. Max Heath and Jacob Edwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back