2021 Draft and Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Couldn't agree more.

Agree but let another club spend 4-5 years developing them and then snap them up, we've wasted 7 years on Archie Smith.

IMO mids do negate a hit out dominance, hit outs are the most irrelevant stat in the game.
How many non rucks have we drafted or traded in, that haven’t developed and we’ve wasted years on?

I believe the key is knowing when to draft a young ruck. Oscar is 26 now. Ideally we want one just reaching his prime when Oscar hits 30/31.

How many non rucks have we drafted or traded in, that haven’t developed and we’ve wasted years on?

I believe the key is knowing when to draft a young ruck. Oscar is 26 now. Ideally we want one just reaching his prime when Oscar hits 30/31.
A few, but I can't recall any that have been on our list for 7 years for 16 games or less, it is a tad long to persevere with any one player in any position IMO.

Is a highly rated young ruck going to want to hang around for 5 years for the Big O to retire or will he want to move on for opportunities and extra $$ elsewhere would be my worry.

Jake Stringer OOC this season. If we want to go for a premiership whilst we have the likes of Zorko, Rich, Daniher, Neale, Cameron, Lyons ect. as our core senior group is it worth adding more forward potency? I could see the Bombers being willing to let Stringer go as they undertake a rebuild. A Daniher, Hipwood, Stringer and Cameron quartet would be very dangerous and exciting to watch. Four forwards capable of kicking a bag each week. I know a lot of people think he is a flog but so were Pike and Robinson before they became much loved Lions.

I'm going to do a running feature in this thread following the fortunes of state league mature age rucks, to see who the most promising one is by the time of the mid-season draft.

First up, from Nick Robertson's current team:
AJANG EXCITES IN THE RUCK

With former Fremantle ruckman Scott Jones going down with a corked hip in the first quarter, emerging ruckman Ajang Ajang was left to battle out the game on his own against Sandover Medallist Lachlan Delahunty and Subiaco's debutant ruckman and water polo convert Lewis Putt. His aerial abilities and deft tap-work were on full display and his follow-up efforts were just as impressive. He finished the game 34 hit outs, 19 disposals and a goal.

Why would any club develop a ruck then?
I've legitimately wondered that at times. When so many clubs are having success with recycled depth rucks from other teams or picking up rucks after three or four years in the state leagues to mature into their grown body, I can make a strong case to not spend draft value on the position.

Maybe young rucks could be developed in the state leagues for a few years before going onto an AFL list... maybe he is attached to a club and goes to some training sessions ah la academy players. Clubs could seek an exemption to play them earlier at AFL level if they think they are up to it, someone like Nic Nat??

Haven't thought it through in great depth, could and probably are loopholes in the idea.

Any physically mature mid-season draft ruck options in the state leagues this year?

Seems like the best use of Rayner’s list spot.
Not sure about that, depends on:
  1. How Archie is going by the time of mid year draft? IMO he is actually a good option to have as a back up and if he is fit maybe no need for another.
  2. Does the club have a ruckman from another club lined up behind the scenes to recruit at end of the year? If so, maybe not such a pressing need and can go for best player available
  3. How is the club going? maybe by then we are not a realistic chance at a flag, so long term becomes more important than short term.
  4. And sure, as you infer, is there a good ruck candidate around?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jake Stringer OOC this season. If we want to go for a premiership whilst we have the likes of Zorko, Rich, Daniher, Neale, Cameron, Lyons ect. as our core senior group is it worth adding more forward potency? I could see the Bombers being willing to let Stringer go as they undertake a rebuild. A Daniher, Hipwood, Stringer and Cameron quartet would be very dangerous and exciting to watch. Four forwards capable of kicking a bag each week. I know a lot of people think he is a flog but so were Pike and Robinson before they became much loved Lions.

I reckon we could land him if we think we can get him on the park. Might be a culture risk though, outside of being a flog.

But we may have to do a Buddy on him in order to get his body right. He's missed some football through constant injuries.

Surely there is a supporter out there with a 17 year old daughter...................

Marcus Bontempelli, Patrick Cripps, Josh Kelly and Zach Merrett are free agents at the end of the year, have we room in the cap for all 4?

Max Gawn also, would provide good cover for O for a few years.

Any physically mature mid-season draft ruck options in the state leagues this year?

Seems like the best use of Rayner’s list spot.
Several. Corey Gault, Ajang Ajang and Luke Strnadica in the WAFL, Daniel Fahey-Sparks and Michael Knoll in the SANFL. Probably a few in the VFL too but I haven't seen them yet.

Several. Corey Gault, Ajang Ajang and Luke Strnadica in the WAFL, Daniel Fahey-Sparks and Michael Knoll in the SANFL. Probably a few in the VFL too but I haven't seen them yet.

Yeah, Corey Gault is my pick of the bunch. Good around the ground and can take a grab resting forward. Would fit in nicely.

I believe people are missing your point.
There are very few quality rucks, they don’t just fall put of the sky. They need development. Very few Vafa /VFL rucks are up to it. AFL clubs consider them as project players and that’s why they continue to put them on the lists.

Here are the stats from this weekend of a few mature state league rucks I like. I know hitouts aren't the most useful stat, but they at least show a player offers a serious contest in the ruck. I've also tried to identify players who can do something else around the ground, be it winning the ball, applying pressure or marking.

Corey Gault, 28, Swan Districts - 50 hitouts, 15 disposals, 1 mark, 2 tackles

Luke Strnadica, 23, East Freo - 43 hitouts, 16 disposals, 5 marks, 1 goal

Ajang Ajang, 24, East Perth - 34 hitouts, 19 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal

Oliver Eastland, 23, Claremont - 31 hitouts, 10 disposals, 1 mark, 6 tackles, 1 goal

Jack Hannath, 29, Glenelg - 31 hitouts, 16 disposals, 3 marks, 1 goal

Alex Barns, 27, North Adelaide - 21 hitouts, 12 disposals, 6 marks, 1 goal

Michael Knoll, 27, Norwood - 19 hitouts, 17 disposals, 3 marks, 5 tackles

The two most impressive rucks this week by stats were probably Nathan Vardy and Sam Hayes, but unfortunately they're already on AFL team lists.

Jarrod Witts just did an ACL so I'm worried the Suns will be drafting a ruck in the MSD too. They probably won't be in finals contention though, so maybe they'll choose a developmental player instead.

With Archie only a week away hopefully he can find some form in the 2s and reduce the need to draft another ruck in the mid-season draft.

Hopefully Fullarton and Ballenden can continue to improve their rucking as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back