Status
Not open for further replies.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Been pretty rare mid season draft picks have much of an impact unless you take one of the absolute best from the state leagues

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Unless Both Oscar and Archie are out injured by round 11, I don’t see the point in drafting a state league ruck, unless we honestly expect them to be our long term back up ruck for the next 3 to 5 years.

Are any of them going to be better than Archie this year?

I’d much rather draft a young ruck with a perceived greater potential, and develop them for the future.

Or draft a kid in another position, and look for a back up ruck from another club or state league during the end of season trade period.
IMO having 2 very young rucks on our list wouldn't the best move.

For me the ideal list set up for ruck cover would be >

Number 1 ruck- Oscar McInerney.
Senior back up- Archie Smith > would prefer a better option though.
Developing ruck- Henry Smith.

+ A few who can pinch hit in the ruck and are dual position types- Joe Daniher, Tom Fullarton/Connor Ballenden(long way to go for Tom/Connor).

Break glass emergency everyone injured options- Dan McStay, Eric Hipwood, Harris Andrews.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Unless Both Oscar and Archie are out injured by round 11, I don’t see the point in drafting a state league ruck, unless we honestly expect them to be our long term back up ruck for the next 3 to 5 years.
I think that's a bit short-sighted, because both Oscar and Archie have been getting injured repeatedly this season. The criteria shouldn't be what we need in week 11, but what we need to get us through a finals push. If Oscar and/or Archie are injured when finals roll around, I think that puts us at a definite disadvantage. That's when a state leaguer can take over.

I wouldn't trust a 19 year old to come in and do a job. As I've said previously, rucks often don't contribute a lot to the team until they hit age 23-26 because their bodies aren't mature enough.

Are any of them going to be better than Archie this year?
Entirely possible. I haven't seen Archie play this year, but he has been pretty unimpressive in previous seasons, and many share that opinion. There were NEAFL rucks outperforming him in 2019 so I believe the top state league rucks can outperform him. Even if they can't, the recurring injuries mean he might not be healthy when we need him most.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I think that's a bit short-sighted, because both Oscar and Archie have been getting injured repeatedly this season. The criteria shouldn't be what we need in week 11, but what we need to get us through a finals push. If Oscar and/or Archie are injured when finals roll around, I think that puts us at a definite disadvantage. That's when a state leaguer can take over.

I wouldn't trust a 19 year old to come in and do a job. As I've said previously, rucks often don't contribute a lot to the team until they hit age 23-26 because their bodies aren't mature enough.

Entirely possible. I haven't seen Archie play this year, but he has been pretty unimpressive in previous seasons, and many share that opinion. There were NEAFL rucks outperforming him in 2019 so I believe the top state league rucks can outperform him. Even if they can't, the recurring injuries mean he might not be healthy when we need him most.
I one hundred percent agree with you about Archie, as I was one of those banging on about him constantly being beaten by NEAFL rucks in 2019.

I’m just not sold on using a mid season draft pick on a short term solution. Unless you see the state league ruck staying on the list beyond the end of the season.

Especially if a couple of teams ahead of us pick up the best of state league rucks before us.

GC will definitely target a ruck.

archangel1979au

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How does the mid season draft work? Do they just get a contract to the end of the year or is it longer? Or you get priority access to draft them at end of year?

Cheers

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I one hundred percent agree with you about Archie, as I was one of those banging on about him constantly being beaten by NEAFL rucks in 2019.
Glad we agree.

I’m just not sold on using a mid season draft pick on a short term solution. Unless you see the state league ruck staying on the list beyond the end of the season.
To me, if it could mean the difference between a finals win and a loss, it's worth doing. And a mature ruck could very well stick around beyond this season, because I'm not comfortable trusting a kid like Henry Smith to be backup. I prefer a ruck who is 25 or older, and while Archie fits that criteria, I don't think he's good enough to retain a list spot.

Especially if a couple of teams ahead of us pick up the best of state league rucks before us.
Definitely a concern, but there is more than one out there, if the club feel they need one of course.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
How does the mid season draft work? Do they just get a contract to the end of the year or is it longer? Or you get priority access to draft them at end of year?

Cheers
They get a rookie contract to the end of the year, with the club then able to extend their rookie contract if they wish to keep them. Provided the club has an available rookie spot for the following season.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
If anyone has any interest in the draft, AFL Draft Central should be the first guys you read.

They have their own state based writers covering the NAB League, SANFL Colts and WAFL Colts.

They watch more under age footy than some recruiters.

Have people at the NAB League testing days and interview just about every kid.

And put together the best end of year draft guide.

StevoJenkins

The Weekend Worker
Sep 4, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
AFL
If the noise I’ve heard about Cripps is true, would we try and get him to fix our big body mid issues?
If we gave him the freedom to just be a player again and take the responsibility of his shoulders, I think we could get him at his best.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last year I was hoping we'd pick Max Heath (at least once Shannon Neale was off the board), but maybe it's a good thing we didn't, as he seems to have been outperformed at the Dragons by Edwards.

I wonder if him being in school was an issue. Wasn't for Sharp but maybe Heath wasn't keen on going interstate.

Interesting reading in the AFL.com.au trade article today that the Dogs had a crack at getting Payne last year.

Interesting reading in the AFL.com.au trade article today that the Dogs had a crack at getting Payne last year.

Well I'm glad that didn't eventuate in reality, otherwise our club forum might have actually exploded espically after the treatment for the trade of Witherden to the Eagles last season :oops: :oops: :oops:

I say we trade them Adams back and our 1st rounder for Marcus Bontempelli ;)
Why are we the ones giving up a first rounder?

Throw in Birchall and they send us the first rounder.

Brisair

Rookie
Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last year I was hoping we'd pick Max Heath (at least once Shannon Neale was off the board), but maybe it's a good thing we didn't, as he seems to have been outperformed at the Dragons by Edwards.
If you have watched the game you will see Max Heath a much better ruck than Edwards. Edwards marks are uncontested and his hitouts are minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back