briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Last year I was hoping we'd pick Max Heath (at least once Shannon Neale was off the board), but maybe it's a good thing we didn't, as he seems to have been outperformed at the Dragons by Edwards.
Heath is the better tap ruck, Edwards better up forward and around the ground.

If you want a genuine ruck, Conway from Geelong, Heath from Sandringham, or Moyle from Oakleigh are the top NAB League rucks.

Edwards is more a forward ruck.

There’s good depth of rucks this year and next in the draft.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Heath is the better tap ruck, Edwards better up forward and around the ground.

If you want a genuine ruck, Conway from Geelong, Heath from Sandringham, or Moyle from Oakleigh are the top NAB League rucks.

Edwards is more a forward ruck.

There’s good depth of rucks this year and next in the draft.
Not entirely true, Edwards just so happens to play with one of the better rucks in the comp. If Edwards played for a team like Northern Knights who don’t have a proper ruck he would dominate as a pure ruck.

Since the intra club Edwards has only added to his resume as forward craft before this year wasn’t on the agenda.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Not entirely true, Edwards just so happens to play with one of the better rucks in the comp. If Edwards played for a team like Northern Knights who don’t have a proper ruck he would dominate as a pure ruck.

Since the intra club Edwards has only added to his resume as forward craft before this year wasn’t on the agenda.
My lazy comparison is Heath is a Sam Draper type, and Edwards is a Rowen Marshall type.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
My lazy comparison is Heath is a Sam Draper type, and Edwards is a Rowen Marshall type.
Heath isnt as athletic as Draper, more Mumford but better forward. Edwards is a tough one as I haven’t seen many rucks as mobile as he is at ground level as a junior although not a massive winner of hitouts he would likely get Grundy type numbers as an extra mid. Have to remember he is coming from a basketball background aswell and still has to learn a lot of ruck craft so that could also improve out of sight.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Watched the Bulldogs v GWS game last night. Josh Green impressed me as a Cripps type big inside mid. At the moment he is certainly one I would be looking at very closely for the middle of the year.
Isn’t he still part of GWS’s academy?

If so, it will be the same situation as when Keidean returned as a 19 year old for academy.

U19 Northern academy kids don’t get the chance to enter the mid season draft if the sign on as an academy member.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
If you have watched the game you will see Max Heath a much better ruck than Edwards. Edwards marks are uncontested and his hitouts are minimal.
That is just untrue, he takes the classic 'Ruck sitting behind the play' marks yes, but as a forward he's either taking pack marks or getting separation on the lead to take it relatively uncontested

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Isn’t he still part of GWS’s academy?

If so, it will be the same situation as when Keidean returned as a 19 year old for academy.

U19 Northern academy kids don’t get the chance to enter the mid season draft if the sign on as an academy member.

Is that the case this year? He trained with Richmond for a spot in the preseason supplemental draft which I understood to be basically exactly the same as for the midseason draft this year.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FWIW I have been informed that 19 year old academy players are available to all clubs in the midseason draft but their original club retains their rights for the 2021 draft if they are not picked up midseason.
Thanks for the clarification.

Can you find out if players have to nominate for the mid season draft?

If an academy kid doesn’t nominate, he’d have to have a promise from his club that they will select him at the National or rookie draft.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks for the clarification.

Can you find out if players have to nominate for the mid season draft?

If an academy kid doesn’t nominate, he’d have to have a promise from his club that they will select him at the National or rookie draft.

Contact not 100% on this one but thinks the 2020 draft nomination rolls over with the individual having a right to withdraw if they want.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Contracted.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
yes is contracted I think until 2022, but we know it is not too hard to break a contract during trade period. I think both Charlie and Adams were contracted to Adelaide and Dogs, and ended up with the Lions. Witho was still contracted with us and we traded him to the Eagles, so it is possible it could happen. The interesting thing is it is not a bottom club that showed interest in him, so he might be tempted to go to a strong team, if they make another play at the end of this year. Being a Qld'er means he probably stays, but depends what opportunity he gets.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Yesterday was the AFL Academy versus Geelong VFL.

From all reports it was a largely forgettable game, with some of best U18 talents missing through injury, and many of kids just going through the motions rather than cracking in.

One kid who stood up though was GWS academy prospect Josh Fahey, a classy hbf’er.

He’s been discussed as a late first round, early second round pick, but it’s possible he moves up a lot of draft watchers rankings, particularly with some of the more highly fancied prospects having forgettable starts to their U18 season.

As it stands right now GWS holds two first round picks in this years draft, their own and Collingwood’s. Currently both look like top 10 picks.

If either team manage to get a run on, and make the top 8, that might be a pick we try and trade for, with our future first round pick.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Just some names to keep an eye on. There’s some tall mids this year.

Mids

Campbell Chesser 186cm Sandringham

Josh Rachele 180cm Murray Bushrangers

Josh Sinn 181cm Eastern Rangers

Matthew Johnson 191cm Subiaco

Matthew Roberts 183cm South Adelaide

Arlo Draper 185cm South Adelaide

Josh Goater 190cm Calder Cannons

Ned Long 192cm Northern Knights

Ben Hobbs 183cm GWV Rebels

Cooper Murley 178cm Norwood

Joshua Browne 185cm East Fremantle

Finn Callaghan 190cm Sandringham Dragons

Neil Erasmus 192cm Subiaco

Connor MacDonald 184cm Dandenong

HBF

Josh Sinn 186cm Sandringham Dragons

Tyler Sonsie 181cm Northern Knights

Sam Banks 186cm Tasmania

Lewis Rayson 182cm Glenelg

Darcey Wilmot 178cm Northern Knights

Last edited:

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Mids

HBF

Sam Banks 186cm Tasmania

Would love to get four of those names listed. Somehow get another first rounder just not sure which club would do this.
Sam Banks and Lewis Rayson are two with very good foot skills and provide that delivery from the back half and Banks can play midfield as well. Mid types are Ned Long, Finn Callaghan, Neil Erasmus and Connor McDonald.

I know there are more highly rated names but see us having two picks in the teens so looking around that mark for possible draftees.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.

Mids

HBF

Sam Banks 186cm Tasmania

Would love to get four of those names listed. Somehow get another first rounder just not sure which club would do this.
Sam Banks and Lewis Rayson are two with very good foot skills and provide that delivery from the back half and Banks can play midfield as well. Mid types are Ned Long, Finn Callaghan, Neil Erasmus and Connor McDonald.

I know there are more highly rated names but see us having two picks in the teens so looking around that mark for possible draftees.
Ditto on foot skills, my wish list would be elite kicks and at least a bit of pace, which player/s would be the best kicks in this years draft?

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Ditto on foot skills, my wish list would be elite kicks and at least a bit of pace, which player/s would be the best kicks in this years draft?
Sam Banks foot skills have been spoken of very highly by the draft central lads. Lewis Rayson as well. GWS academy’s Josh Fahey is another. I’m actually leaning away from players to have ‘pace’. It looks good when they break the lines but being able to hit up players with elite kicking is more paramount. The man on the mark rule does allow these types to shine IMO.

Edit: I know of one prominent poster on this board who highly rates Sam
Banks as well.

Last edited:

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

I would add Josh Goater to your list of tall mids. Would like to see him increase his production, but he has all the tools to be extremely damaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back