2021 Draft and Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam Banks foot skills have been spoken of very highly by the draft central lads. Lewis Rayson as well. GWS academy’s Josh Fahey is another. I’m actually leaning away from players to have ‘pace’. It looks good when they break the lines but being able to hit up players with elite kicking is more paramount. The man on the mark rule does allow these types to shine IMO.

Edit: I know of one prominent poster on this board who highly rates Sam
Banks as well.

I think foot skills have always been a priority at least since Fagan. The great Hawks sides were built on excellent foot skills.

Just some names to keep an eye on. There’s some tall mids this year.

Mids

Josh Sinn 186cm Sandringham Dragons

Matthew Johnson 191cm Subiaco

Campbell Chesser 186cm Sandringham

Josh Rachele 180cm Murray Bushrangers

Matthew Roberts 183cm South Adelaide

Arlo Draper 185cm South Adelaide

Josh Goater 190cm Calder Cannons

Ned Long 192cm Northern Knights

Ben Hobbs 183cm GWV Rebels

Cooper Murley 178cm Norwood

Joshua Browne 185cm East Fremantle

Finn Callaghan 190cm Sandringham Dragons

Neil Erasmus 192cm Subiaco

Connor MacDonald 184cm Dandenong

HBF

Tyler Sonsie 181cm Northern Knights

Sam Banks 186cm Tasmania

Lewis Rayson 182cm Glenelg

Darcey Wilmot 178cm Northern Knights
Sonsie isn't a HBF and plays for Eastern, not Northern.

Pretty nothing story here:

Finally. I had hoped that we would be showing some interest in Merrett. I think all things point to him staying in Victoria but there’s no harm in asking. Just give them enough for a first rounder so we can keep our own please.

Finally. I had hoped that we would be showing some interest in Merrett. I think all things point to him staying in Victoria but there’s no harm in asking. Just give them enough for a first rounder so we can keep our own please.

With this current group at the helm I prefer it when you don't hear anything to be honest. Don't think this story would have came from our end so probably Merrett's manager doing his job to push up his price?

Hopefully Joe can lure him up. Maybe not a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With this current group at the helm I prefer it when you don't hear anything to be honest. Don't think this story would have came from our end so probably Merrett's manager doing his job to push up his price?

It was a bit later in the year but there was a reasonably early indication that we were interested in Daniher mid-season last year. In this case though I assume it is nothing more than Dom Amrogio having a very quick chat with his manager and it being leaked by them to support the journalist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really pleased we have put in an expression of interest - his friendship with Joe D will not hurt our chances. If nothing else it keeps Essendon honest in terms of what they have to pay to keep Merrett.
Don’t think money is the issue with us. We could easily offer him $1m plus a year on a long term deal and no doubt he would get similar offers from others. Guess he wants to see if we are turning the corner or not. If he can’t see any hope with us it doesn’t matter what money we throw at him.

Don’t think money is the issue with us. We could easily offer him $1m plus a year on a long term deal and no doubt he would get similar offers from others. Guess he wants to see if we are turning the corner or not. If he can’t see any hope with us it doesn’t matter what money we throw at him.

You would definitely be able to offer way more than us (and would), so as you say, money/keeping your contract offer honest is not relevant at all.

Personally do not think we should target Merrett, I think instead 2 potential good value pick ups would be Toby Mclean and Jordan Clark. Both on the outer in their sides and offer us some good speed and flexibility in positions.

Also i wonder if Ashcroft Jnr has a good year if we will trade away our 1st for 2022, like pies did last year with their pick for Daicos.

Personally do not think we should target Merrett, I think instead 2 potential good value pick ups would be Toby Mclean and Jordan Clark. Both on the outer in their sides and offer us some good speed and flexibility in positions.

Also i wonder if Ashcroft Jnr has a good year if we will trade away our 1st for 2022, like pies did last year with their pick for Daicos.
So 2 blokes who can’t get a game over an A grade star. Right...........

So 2 blokes who can’t get a game over an A grade star. Right...........

I am not saying we should get those two players but I think what SonnyBoy1 is looking at here though is that it might be cheaper to get those two players (salary cap & draft table wise) into the club then Zach Merrett himself and let's face it, he would probably want top $$$ if he ever left for an non-Victorian club in particular IMO given how good is he now & will become in the future.

As well as that, both players (McLean & Clark) would fill a need in our overall squad (midfield & half-back depth), and if both don't perform as well as we hoped for as in Best 22 material (i.e Cockatoo/Ellis Yolman) as a player, they can improve the reserves side in the future and help develop the next batch of future stars at our club quicker then usually.

Anyway, I wonder if there are any Gold Coast Suns players that are OOC this season that could help fill a void or improve our Best 22 lineup or squad in general, which we should send a enquire about for the future :think:

Last edited:
I'm sure I've seen that movie before. Indeed, pretty much every year?
The ol' "make them an offer they can't refuse, yet somehow they keep refusing" scenario.

We need another ready to go A grade mid, not someone who might be okay in a few years time. Proven and ready to go is what we need.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Jacob Hopper might worth a crack at, according to footywire he's OOC at the end of this year, would give up next years 1st in a heartbeat for him.

In saying that Zach Merrett would be great if the Bombers didn't match and he came as a FA.

Merrett is exactly the type of player we need and with the new rules, I think only makes the investment even more worthwhile.

Can’t see it happening but he’d be number 1 if I was drawing up a recruitment list.

If Essendon are going full rebuild they might let him go and get possibly another top 5 pick. They’re still pretty well stocked for midfielders when they’re all fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back