• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Savage Kent

All Australian
Aug 1, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi Folks,

Was interested to see if there was interest in a draft game with the saints fans on bigfooty being assigned a team and selecting on their behalf. I organised a draft game a few years back (I believe in 2017). It was good fun but was put off at the time by an annoying poster, who shall remain nameless but think he's been largely moved on thanks to all your good work. This poster would DM me to push posters to hurry up their selections and also be pushy in the thread. Note that if said person messages me after this you will be blocked.

I digress but if you're interested reach out and I will assign you a team. Teams will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis. If you have any suggestions on how this should be run I'm all ears. I will tag posters to the teams they've been assigned to.

Last time I took the saints and from memory I selected Clark, Bonar and Clavarino. Try not to hold Bonar and Clavarino against me. This time I'll be the recruiter for the tigers based on their draft haul.

Adelaide: sunny3193
Brisbane: L_W_P
Carlton: L_W_P
Collingwood: Savage Kent
Essendon: BrutThough
Fremantle: joydivision22
Geelong: SaintJunior
Gold Coast: Minga
GWS: Gresh_Magic
Hawthorn: BrutThough
Melbourne: Saint_Dos
North Melbourne: goodie23
Port Adelaide: Saint_Dos
Richmond: Savage Kent
St Kilda: Significant
Sydney: Ads734
West Coast: bird_man
Western Bulldogs: Savage Kent

PickClubPlayer
1CollingwoodNick Daicos
2North MelbourneJason Horne-Francis
3Greater Western SydneyFinn Callaghan
4Western BulldogsSam Darcy
5Gold CoastJosh Gibcus
6AdelaideBen Hobbs
7HawthornJosh Ward
8FremantleNeil Erasmus
9RichmondTyler Sonsie
10FremantleMatthew Johnson
11St KildaJosh Sinn
12West CoastJye Amiss
13EssendonJosh Rachele
14Port AdelaideNasiah Wanganeen-Milera
15Greater Western SydneyMac Andrew
16Brisbane LionsSam Butler
17RichmondJosh Goater
18SydneyDarcy Wilmot
19MelbourneCampbell Chesser
20Brisbane LionsMitchito Owens
21FremantleJacob Van Rooyen
22North MelbourneJesse Motlop
23HawthornArlo Draper
24GeelongToby Conway
25HawthornJudson Clarke
26St KildaMarcus Windhager
27CarltonMitchell Knevitt
28RichmondZac Taylor
29RichmondBlake Howes
30Greater Western SydneyJosh Fahey
31RichmondRhett Bazzo
32West CoastMatthew Roberts
33GeelongTom Brown
34SydneyLewis Rayson
35GeelongConnor MacDonald
36AdelaideJack Williams
37GeelongShay Linke
38West CoastCorey Warner
39MelbourneKai Lohmann
40SydneyJordan Lucak
41Brisbane LionsSam Banks
42North MelbourneLeek Alleer
43North MelbourneAlistair Lord
44MelbourneJosh Rentsch
45GeelongAngus Sheldrick
46EssendonBrady Hough
47Western BulldogsCooper Murley
48Western BulldogsCharlie Dean
49EssendonNed Long
50MelbourneTaj Woewodin
51HawthornLachlan Rankin
52Brisbane LionsCasey Voss
53FremantlePaul Curtis
54Port AdelaideKade Dittmar
55CarltonDante Visentini
56HawthornCharlie Molan
57West CoastHugh Jackson
58Gold CoastBohdi Uwland
59FremantleRonald Fejo Jr
60SydneyBlayne O'Loughlin
61Greater Western SydneyBlake Schlensog
62Greater Western SydneyCharlie Constable
63North MelbourneJackson Archer
64Port AdelaideHugh Stagg
65Port AdelaideSaxon Evans
66Port AdelaideJase Burgoyne
67AdelaidePass
68Brisbane LionsTyreece Leiu

The current draft picks for your reference:

Adelaide: 6, 36, 65
Brisbane: 16, 20, 41, 52, 66
Carlton: 26, 55
Collingwood: 1
Essendon: 13, 46, 49
Fremantle: 8, 10, 21, 53, 58
Geelong: 24, 33, 35, 37, 45
Gold Coast: 5
GWS: 3, 15, 30, 60, 61
Hawthorn: 7, 23, 25, 51, 56
Melbourne: 19, 39, 44, 50
North Melbourne: 2, 22, 42, 43, 62
Port Adelaide: 14, 54, 63, 64
Richmond: 9, 17, 28, 29, 31
St Kilda: 11, 26
Sydney: 18, 34, 40, 59
West Coast: 12, 32, 38, 57
Western Bulldogs: 4, 47, 48

Last edited:
Sydney select Blayne O'Loughlan, Nephew of Micky O. Gun half back/defender, Has a great left foot kick and absolute accumulator. Reckon he could slot in very quickly.
Interesting that Adelaide chose not to nominate him (and another bloke) as an NGA. Looks ok from what I have seen

Pick 62: Charlie Constable

With pick 63 in the 2021 Draft Game, North Melbourne take the no-brainer choice, Jackson Archer, Northern Knights.

Motlop and Archer bring a nice family connection to a floundering club, Lord and Alleer were bargains who I would not be surprised to see go higher in the real thing, got the best player in the pool and made Collingwood pay the maximum price for the 2nd best. I'd say sorry L_W_P but I'm really, really not.

Saint_Dos with the double now.

With Pick 64 Port take Hugh Stagg from Glenelg. Another solid inside mid to build depth in that area.

With Pick 65 Port takes Saxon Evans also from Central Districts. Raw athletic ruckman. Will take a couple of years to develop but has the vertical leap to match it with the best in time.

As we are not doing Rd.5+ Port would match a potential bid on Jase Burgoyne as a Father-Son with what was originally Pick #92. They would be pretty stoked he survived that long.

Your up sunny3193

With the lucky last pick the Lions will highlight the sort of crazy draft profile that we are seeing in 2021 -

Tyreece Leiu

194cm
93kgs

POSITION: Inside Midfielder/Defender

SNAPSHOT: “A strong-bodied inside midfielder capable of providing marking presence at either end of the ground, with sound reading of the play and clean hands.”

STRENGTHS:

+ Versatility
+ Size
+ Marking
+ Reading the Play

IMPROVEMENTS:

– Durability
– Explosive Speed

SUMMARY:

Coming into the year, Leiu was expected to be a handy point of difference to the likes of Sonsie and Soligo in Eastern’s midfield, feeding the classy movers to the outer. Having done some nice things up forward before finding a home in defence, he has gone on to prove his versatility and find new ways to impact games. Which role suits him best in the eye of recruiters may impact his draft range, but he would be a handy pick in the third or fourth rounds.

That brings an end to this year's draft game. Thank you all for taking part.

Any takeaways or controversial picks anyone can think of?

Looking forward to seeing who had the foresight to pick any future stars of the game or hidden gems.

Mac Andrew & Leek Aleer will be fascinating to follow on draft night. Andrew could go anywhere from 3 to 13, Aleer from 15 to 50.

Of course, Owens at 20 was a little bit of fun but it will be something we all wait on nervously. The worst part is that ride will carry on into night 2 :(

What Freo do in the first round is what I'm most interested in on night one. There is some great young WA talent but it could mean passing up on a Hobbs or Ward. Freo haven't been afraid to pick who they rate as the best talent so their picks could go anywhere.

Finally, we didn't have live trades here, but I can't help wondering if we will look to trade down on the night.

I think we have all sensed an opportunity to take our 1st this year, along with a 2nd next year, and bundle it into a couple of picks with a Brisbane or a Port.

After the first 2 rounds though it'll be a crapshoot. These kids have played maybe 10 games in 2 years so the profiles are all over the place. Will be booms and busts all the way through I'd think.

Gonna be a fun one to come back on in a few years time.

Mac Andrew & Leek Aleer will be fascinating to follow on draft night. Andrew could go anywhere from 3 to 13, Aleer from 15 to 50.

Of course, Owens at 20 was a little bit of fun but it will be something we all wait on nervously. The worst part is that ride will carry on into night 2 :(

What Freo do in the first round is what I'm most interested in on night one. There is some great young WA talent but it could mean passing up on a Hobbs or Ward. Freo haven't been afraid to pick who they rate as the best talent so their picks could go anywhere.

Finally, we didn't have live trades here, but I can't help wondering if we will look to trade down on the night.

I think we have all sensed an opportunity to take our 1st this year, along with a 2nd next year, and bundle it into a couple of picks with a Brisbane or a Port.

After the first 2 rounds though it'll be a crapshoot. These kids have played maybe 10 games in 2 years so the profiles are all over the place. Will be booms and busts all the way through I'd think.

At this point, I'd be surprised if Freo took both WA guys with their two picks for some reason.

I can see them taking someone from Vic and their fans melting down because of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for doing this Savage Kent. Going to be really interesting to look back on draft night to see how close everyone got, and then again in a few years time.

Looking at the order, I think Taylor and Knevitt will go earlier than they do here. Hopefully Owens slides!
I completely agree. I think Zac Taylor will be a bolter come draft night. Feels like an ideal fit for the lions as a long term successor to Zorko. Additionally lions have had a good recent record with the small types.

I completely agree. I think Zac Taylor will be a bolter come draft night. Feels like an ideal fit for the lions as a long term successor to Zorko. Additionally lions have had a good recent record with the small types.
They are the ones I was also thinking of. Or Melbourne who could go for a smaller but highly talented midfielder.

Rachelle the one I’ll be watching closely. Seriously hope he gets called before us but he could be the player to slip out of the top 10.

We don't overly need a small forward, but at the same time, the ones we have are OK but not great.
All of Rachelle , Higgins and Butler could combine to be formidable, and our tall's aren't to be sneezed at either.

We don't overly need a small forward, but at the same time, the ones we have are OK but not great.
All of Rachelle , Higgins and Butler could combine to be formidable, and our tall's aren't to be sneezed at either.

I reckon saying they’re Ok is an understatement.

Butler at his best is AA.

Higgins I rate very highly, is young and had a really good year, high ceiling IMO.

Then either Gresh or Billings could also play this role depending on what the team line up looks like. Gresh in particular also has a high ceiling. Long is Ok.

Higgins is tracking very well. Butler needs to get consistent (may never happen) and Gresh needs to have a good injury run (hold our breath). But the thing is that these players are on the younger side as well.

Not sure many other teams in the comp have as good a bunch of small forwards as us. Very much in the Tigers vein, Brisbane are quite stacked in that department as well.

I reckon saying they’re Ok is an understatement.

Butler at his best is AA.

Higgins I rate very highly, is young and had a really good year, high ceiling IMO.

Then either Gresh or Billings could also play this role depending on what the team line up looks like. Gresh in particular also has a high ceiling. Long is Ok.

Higgins is tracking very well. Butler needs to get consistent (may never happen) and Gresh needs to have a good injury run (hold our breath). But the thing is that these players are on the younger side as well.

Not sure many other teams in the comp have as good a bunch of small forwards as us. Very much in the Tigers vein, Brisbane are quite stacked in that department as well.

Yeah i still feel that if Rachelle fell in our lap we'd be crazy not to take him.

Gave up a second round pick. Which gets cancelled out if we land Owens and Windhager. It’ll be like we never traded anything for him
We also downgraded a first round pick.

And if we still had a 2nd rounder we would have currency to move around in the draft i.e. trading back into the top 20, splitting our pick or trading up from 9

I'm not complaining about the deal because I love Higgins, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense to use our first rounder again on another small forward.

Actually we will know by end of Round 1 as there are 18 round 1 picks and WB and Coll dont have first round picks so will end up being 20 picks in Round 1.

North Melbourne in hindsight:

Pick 1 bid on Nick Daicos, Daicos actually went pick 4
Pick 2 Jason Horne-Francis, Horne-Francis actually went pick 1
Pick 22 Jesse Motlop, Motlop actually went pick 27
Pick 42 Leek Aleer, Aleer actually went pick 15(!)
Pick 43 Alistair Lord, Lord actually went pick 46
Pick 63 Jackson Archer, Archer actually went pick 59

Pretty happy with that effort, every player got drafted and think I had the draftee who bolted highest up the draft, a massive 27 places in Leek Aleer. Could not have guessed Goater correctly at 22 as he was already gone, a lot of the late mail phantoms also had a North-Motlop pick and I wonder how likely that was if there hadn't of been a trio of bolters pushing Goater down the order. Lord was pretty close to the money and good value around that range, also pleased I got Archer with the last pick.

How does it compare with North's real draft? Hard to say given the early trades they made, we both picked Horne-Francis and Archer, they went with the slider Goater at 22 and two medium forwards in Curtis (35) and Bergman (38), I went more needs-based with the small forward Motlop, tall defender Aleer and rebounding defender Lord. I'll be arrogant and suggest my draft was better but a lot of that was due to the cards falling the right way.

Still think North or at least Western Sydney should've bid on Daicos.

Impressed how prophetic this is. Andrew went 3 out of the live picks (5 in actuality), Aleer was right on the end of your suggested range at 15. Freo very much went with the WA talent and Johnson's availability meant keeping that pick 21 they fleeced out of Gold Coast a no-brainer.

Back