Analysis 2021 Draft (National Draft x 2 nights, Rookie Draft, Pre-Season Draft)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
GIANTS Draft Wrap (gwsgiants.com.au)

The GIANTS have added two first-round talents and an Academy gun to their list at the 2021 NAB AFL Draft.

At pick three, the GIANTS selected elite Victorian wingman Finn Callaghan. Callaghan is a left-footed medium midfielder who burst onto the scene with dominant performances for the Sandringham Dragons, showcasing his natural talent and athleticism. He plays inside where he excels at stoppages or on the outside on the wing using his penetrating kicking to give good service to his forwards. Callaghan has unique aerial ability as well as goal sense.

“It’s rare to find a player with a set of attributes like Finn, he’s pretty special,” said GIANTS National Recruiting Manager Adrian Caruso. “The combination of speed and agility with good running power gives some flexibility to the roles that he can play for us and the point of difference he adds to our current midfield mix. Importantly, his strong work ethic and the mindset will allow him to adapt to a few different roles until he is physically ready to step into our midfield.”

With the club’s second pick of the night - pick 15 - the GIANTS selected Leek Aleer, a key defender with rare talent. High-marking and extremely athletic, Aleer is a tall defender who has been a revelation at senior level in the SANFL. “Leek is going to provide something unique to our backline with his rare athletic package,” Caruso said. “Finding a young key back who we can develop was something we prioritised, and Leek’s resilience and character give us confidence that he will give himself the best chance possible to nail a spot alongside Sam Taylor down the track."

The GIANTS then selected Canberra-born Academy product Josh Fahey on night two of the NAB AFL Draft. Fahey is a medium defender/wingman who takes the game on using his speed, step through traffic, and prodigious elite left foot to break the game open. He starred for the Australian NAB AFL Academy team against Geelong’s VFL side in April, winning the AFL Commission Chairman’s Medal as Australia’s best player. “He is a hard-running half-back who really breaks lines with his speed and his kicking ability. He has really worked hard on his game in tough circumstances in the last two years without many opportunities to play and we see enormous upside in him as he enters a full-time program.”

All three draftees will start at the club next Monday as the GIANTS’ first-to-fourth year players return for day one of pre-season training.

The NAB AFL Rookie Draft will be held on Friday from 3pm.

Pick 3 - Finn Callaghan

Drafted from: Sandringham Dragons, NAB League/St. Bede's College
State: Victoria (Metro)
Position: Midfield/wing
Height: 191cm
Weight: 86kg
Date of Birth: 24/04/03

Pick 15 - Leek Aleer

Drafted from: Central Districts, SANFL
State: South Australia
Position: Key defender
Height: 195cm
Weight: 81kg
Date of Birth: 21/08/01

Pick 42 - Josh Fahey

Drafted from: GIANTS Academy, NAB League/Queanbeyan FC
State: ACT
Position: Half-back
Height: 186cm
Weight: 76kg
Date of Birth: 11/11/03

My mail is that some recruiters felt he displayed a poor attitude.
I heard similar - not sure whether it was around relocating specifically or attitude in general, but there were red flags on him with a few clubs.

Biggest steal of the draft according to the pies ... Lol
He was predicted to go as early as 12, he was a huge slider.
Sonsie in the late 20's seems great value too

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
He was predicted to go as early as 12, he was a huge slider.
Sonsie in the late 20's seems great value too
Both similar stories, have personalities that are 'easily misunderstood' that may have rubbed a few recruiters the wrong way, but it could also be on field related, neither are overly reliable defensively and can struggle to get the ball outside of stoppages when in the midfield

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Cooper Hamilton.PNG

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Cant say I am disappointed with the draft with the club picking the consensus best option with #3 and then addressing a need for a tall defender with Leek Aleer and Fahey needs time to develop and although not a real need I think he will be given time to develop and will slot in well when needed

Even with a strong pre season it will be very hard for Aleer to break into the top side but I see a chance for a debut late in the season if he has a good run of reserves games

Callaghan will need to work hard over the pre season as it is an unknown as to how the fitness and development has been effected by the 2 years of interupted seasons for the juniors but hopefully he can push for a run of games with some impressive form

Good to see the team is moving to a team with more run and hopefully it clicks and we see some good footy next year

I still see a role for Davis next year as his experience will be valuable for the young defensive group although he could be 1 injury away from retirement

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Cant say I am disappointed with the draft with the club picking the consensus best option with #3 and then addressing a need for a tall defender with Leek Aleer and Fahey needs time to develop and although not a real need I think he will be given time to develop and will slot in well when needed

Even with a strong pre season it will be very hard for Aleer to break into the top side but I see a chance for a debut late in the season if he has a good run of reserves games

Callaghan will need to work hard over the pre season as it is an unknown as to how the fitness and development has been effected by the 2 years of interupted seasons for the juniors but hopefully he can push for a run of games with some impressive form

Good to see the team is moving to a team with more run and hopefully it clicks and we see some good footy next year

I still see a role for Davis next year as his experience will be valuable for the young defensive group although he could be 1 injury away from retirement
If Davis looks how he did in the final against Geelong I'd expect him to be lining up next to Sam Taylor in round 1, thought he looked quite sharp against Geelong. But yeah injuries are becoming more and more of an issue for him, another one might zap him of anything he has left.

Last edited:

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS

I don’t think running will be an issue with him. Has speed and endurance.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
All seems very logical and methodical, picked the best player available at 3 and pick the needs player at 15 who can make an immediate impact. Also picked 3 guys of high character. Wiping out the Bulldogs draft was just an unexpected bonus.

Next year it will be all about small forward and key forward and using all our currency plus whatever we bring in from departures to address those areas and our list will be complete.

Back