Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's some footage of Goater for those interested. Not a great display for skills, but if you're looking to be impressed by breakaway speed for a tall midfielder...

my-man-denzel.gif

Such a crud draft hand. Only pick 12 is worth anything.

What makes it worse is we don’t have next year’s first rounder anymore, meaning over the course of this draft and next we have the chance to pick one A grader.

Better rate the existing youff at the club…

100% not true. We have only traded out our future 3rd round for Finlayson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4 picks I took in the BigFooty Phantom Draft:

Pick 14 - Josh Sinn (186cm Defender/Midfielder - Ranked #4)

Pick 56 - Sam Breuer (183cm Midfielder/Defender - Ranked #37)

Pick 66 - Harvey Harrison (181cm Midfielder - Ranked #38)

Pick 67 - Oscar Adams (198cm Key Defender/Ruck - Ranked #41)

Tiser/News Top 30 mock draft:

TOP 30 MOCK DRAFT
1. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis (South Adelaide/SA)

Midfielder/forward, 184cm, 77kg

2. Collingwood - Nick Daicos (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)

Matching GWS’ father-son bid
Midfielder/forward, 183cm, 72kg
3. Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Matching GWS’ father-son bid
Key-forward/defender, 204cm, 75kg

4. GWS - Finn Callaghan (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Midfielder, 189cm, 82kg

5. Gold Coast - Josh Gibcus (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)
Key defender, 195cm, 84kg

Live trade
Adelaide trades pick 6 and 33 to Richmond for picks 9 and 17, plus a swap of future second-round selections.

6. Richmond - Ben Hobbs (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)
Midfielder, 183cm, 80kg

7. Hawthorn - Josh Ward (Northern Knights/Vic Metro)
Midfielder, 181cm, 74kg

8. Fremantle - Jye Amiss (East Perth/WA)
Key forward, 195cm, 83kg

9. Adelaide - Josh Sinn (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Defender/midfielder, 186cm, 73kg

10. Fremantle - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (Glenelg/SA)
Wingman, 188cm, 70kg

11. St Kilda - Matthew Johnson (Subiaco/WA)
Midfielder, 192cm, 78kg

12. West Coast - Neil Erasmus (Subiaco/WA)
Midfielder/forward, 192cm, 80kg

13. Essendon - Josh Rachele (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
Forward/midfielder, 180cm, 78kg

14. Port Adelaide - Matty Roberts (South Adelaide/SA)
Midfielder/forward, 183cm, 81kg

15. GWS - Mac Andrew (Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)
Ruckman, 200cm, 70kg

16. Brisbane - Arlo Draper (South Adelaide/SA)
Midfielder/forward, 186cm, 71kg

17. Adelaide - Josh Goater (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
Midfielder/defender 190cm, 79kg

18. Sydney - Tyler Sonsie (Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)
Midfielder, 181cm, 77kg

19. Melbourne - Campbell Chesser (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Midfielder/defender, 186cm, 83kg

20. Brisbane - Darcy Wilmot (Northern Knights/Vic Metro)
Defender, 183cm, 75kg

21. Fremantle - Jacob van Rooyen (Claremont/WA)
Key forward/defender, 193cm, 87kg

22. North Melbourne - Leek Alleer (Central District/SA)
Key defender, 195cm, 84kg

23. Hawthorn - Zac Taylor (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
Midfielder, 180cm, 74kg

24. Geelong - Tom Brown (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
Defender, 186cm, 71kg

25. Hawthorn - Sam Butler (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)
Midfielder/forward, 184cm, 73kg

26. Carlton - Jesse Motlop (South Fremantle/WA)
Forward/mid

27. Richmond - Jack Williams (East Fremantle/WA)
Key forward, 195cm, 91kg

28. Richmond - Angus Sheldrick (Claremont/WA)
Midfielder, 179cm, 88kg

29. Richmond - Blake Howes (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Forward/midfielder, 190cm, 79kg

30. St Kilda - Marcus Windhager (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
Matching West Coast’s NGA bid
Midfielder, 183cm, 82kg

The crows would be mad to trade out the opportunity to get Hobbs.

Gone for Shane’s son? Nice bit of romance there. How high do you rate him Macca? Can’t say i have seen too much if him.

Make it happen, Ports.
If it goes all pear shaped, we can sack macca - will take the pressure off of Kern. :p

Does anyone rate Mitch Knevitt from Geelong Falcons?

Tall inside mid, good overhead mark, plus good speed and endurance (oops, I just thought of Ryan Lonie for a split second o_O).

I see that 'Knightmare' has him at our first pick in his phantom draft, with Essendon taking NW-M the pick before us:

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...**********-espn-early-two-round-phantom-draft

Gone for Shane’s son? Nice bit of romance there. How high do you rate him Macca? Can’t say i have seen too much if him.

He’s just in the speculative zone for me. Theres only about 36 players i have confidence in but theres a bit to like about his midfield play. All three smalls I went with pace and running ability.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...**********-espn-early-two-round-phantom-draft

14. Port Adelaide - Mitch Knevitt
Height, Weight:
194cm, 83kg
Profile: A tall, ball winning midfielder, Knevitt has the strength to stand up through tackles and does his best work distributing by hand. Knevitt starred at the draft combine in the speed and endurance testing and finished the season strongly with his endurance, agility, high work rate and contested marking strengths among his strengths aside from his midfield craft.

Geelong Falcons best-and-fairest Mitch Knevitt is a serious player and he was just crowned the best of the best for the NAB League club.

Last edited:

Harvey Harrison I don't what he's like around goals but looking at available tapes there's a bit of Robbie how he moves in traffic. For a back end pick he looks ok.

Height, Weight:
194cm, 83kg
Profile: A tall, ball winning midfielder, Knevitt has the strength to stand up through tackles and does his best work distributing by hand. Knevitt starred at the draft combine in the speed and endurance testing and finished the season strongly with his endurance, agility, high work rate and contested marking strengths among his strengths aside from his midfield craft.

Geelong Falcons best-and-fairest Mitch Knevitt is a serious player and he was just crowned the best of the best for the NAB League club.
There's no ****ing way we traded up from 16 to 12 to take Mitch Knevitt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Height, Weight:
194cm, 83kg

Evil Knevitt

You know it makes sense.

Goaters skills are the real concern, taking a punt on his athleticism making up for his lack of polish. Can you develop him that much more, that we arent pulling our hair out ie Boak and Ollie's early career poor disposal. Big risk potential big reward, somel punters really luv him, but conservative types see his flaws and have him rated nearer to end of first rd. Do ya punt 12 on him, not sure, really torn on this one.

Gees you would take that for sure!!

Good athleticism and speed. Low risk, high reward. Breuer and Harrison would fit in nicely as HBF/midfield/HFF rotates. Adams as a lockdown defender. If Sinn can step into the midfield, that’s the speed and class we need.

Are we taking that many picks though?

Gees you would take that for sure!!

Good athleticism and speed. Low risk, high reward. Breuer and Harrison would fit in nicely as HBF/midfield/HFF rotates. Adams as a lockdown defender. If Sinn can step into the midfield, that’s the speed and class we need.

Are we taking that many picks though?

Not sure, but i'd be pretty chuffed if we ended up with that sort of hand.

What a shocking kick if that’s the highlights I hate to see the lowlights.
Actually some of phantom drafters who watch a lot of underage footage should make lowlights videos.

Now I'm all for being positive and doing a 360 degree analysis, but you know Shifter Sheahan, Twomey and recruiters like Rendell who end up in the media, will talk up all these kids as if they will be instant stars and as good as the players they say he plays like. I'd like to see a * ups video to counterbalance the highlights to see who you should avoid and why.

Heres my full write up of the 4 players from the Phantom Draft:

Port Adelaide - Pick 14

Josh Sinn - Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

186cm, 82kg Defender/Midfielder

He may have been in some injury hell this year but Sinn has sent me to heaven with this pick (sorry). Have to go best available with my first rounder and absolutely stoked to have got the #4 on my rankings list in Josh Sinn. I feel given his injuries he's fallen unfairly down the list of a lot of people and almost become a bit of the forgotten man in first round contention this year, but that just makes it all the more better for me.

Josh is a line breaking, super quick back flanker who takes the game on and has the best left foot kick in this years draft pool. He excels at hitting targets after a zone busting run and creates a lot of scoring chains by doing so. That run and carry makes him such a mouth watering proposition as a defender, with the capability of running 30m and hitting a pin point pass 40m down the field. His vision and quick thinking on the run make him a stand out for me in this years draft crop.

But what stands out even more for me is his midfield potential. He's spent some time there this year with some success and the sky is the limit with what he could produce in the future. There is quite a bit of a young Dangerfield in the way he moves around packs and is capable of breaking free from clearances. With more development around his midfield craft, that is where I see his long term future. With Port screaming out for a dynamic midfielder to not only compliment Brownlow Medallist Ollie Wines and youngsters Rozee & Butters, he looms as the perfect player to learn from and take over from Travis Boak over the coming seasons. He will add plenty of exuberance to an already solid outside midfield group of Amon, Duursma and Bergman to start with before moving into the centre square in time.

Class, Excitement, Leadership. You beauty.

Only other player in contention was Mac Andrew but this was a clear cut, no brainer decision.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 56 - Port Adelaide

Sam Breuer - GWV Rebels

183cm, 80kg Midfielder/Defender

Sam is a versatile small who has shown he can play a variety of roles for GWV Rebels this year. Whether its as a shutdown defender, or as a centre square midfielder, there have been a few constants with his game that show he has some AFL traits, those being toughness, pace, endurance and commitment to his role.

Sam has a good AFL pedigree behind him. His dad is 125-game Shayne Breuer who played in 2 grand finals for Geelong and was part of the inaugural Port Adelaide AFL squad, kicking the first goal for Port Adelaide at AFL level. Shayne was an elite runner and skillful user of the ball who also played a variety of roles at AFL level and Sam has picked up a lot of his traits.

Whilst he played the majority of the season in the backline, there were 3 games where he was moved into the midfield and really showed a lot of intent with his chances of getting drafted. He had 30 disposals, 7 tackles, 6 inside 50s and a goal against Gippsland in Round 8, backing that up with 35 disposals, 12 tackles, 4 inside 50s and a goal in Round 9 as well. There was also another match against Sandringham later in the season where whilst he didn't get a lot of the ball, he was one of the best on ground with strong ball use and good defensive play through the midfield.

The midfield is where I see his future. He is tough at the ball, sets his eyes on it and often wins it and can show good burst speed out of a pack. He has the ability to run all day and makes sure his opponent doesn't win the football. He has a long kick but does need to work on his accuracy at times. The fact he can also play as that shutdown small defender who can create off half back, or as an outside midfielder shows that there are a couple of options that can be developed once in the system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 66 - Port Adelaide

Harvey Harrison - North Adelaide

181cm, 71kg, Balanced Midfielder

Harvey is a pacey midfielder who has picked up big numbers for North Adelaide in the under 18s all season. Capable of playing both inside and out, Harvey has shown a propensity to win clearances and breakaway with the ball all season. The way he plays he looks like an outside midfielder, but the more you watch, the more you notice just how good he can be at winning his own ball as well.

He finished the season 7th in total disposals (25.2 per game) and 2nd in total clearances (5.4 per game) in the SANFL under 18s and showed a lot of consistency in winning the football, falling below 20 disposals in only 4 out of 17 games. What really catches your eye is his run and carry when he gets the ball. He tested quickest out of all players tested at the combines this year and it shows in the way he plays. He gathers the ball and puts on the jets before driving long inside 50. He has breakaway clearances that have you nodding your head in approval and he can hit the scoreboard as well, kicking 9 goals for the year including a bag of 4 against Norwood in Round 7.

Whilst his decision making is very good, his skill execution especially by foot can be improved on. He can tend to rush his kicks when going at full pace so just needs to learn to steady before he kicks. Size wise he is quite slender so will need to put on quite a bit of core strength before he can play AFL midfield. There is a lot of Karl Amon about how he plays and having a young midfielder like Harvey come in and learn from someone like Karl and Xavier Duursma will be beneficial.

He is #38 on my draft rankings.

------------------------------------------------------

Pick 67 - Port Adelaide

Oscar Adams - Glenelg

198cm, 85kg, Key Defender/Tall Utility

Oscar is a tall key defender with a good leap, good reach and an ability to play further up the field. For the first half of this season Oscar showed his versatility by playing in the Ruck for Glenelgs under 18 side and did so with distinction. Averaging 14 disposals, 20 hitouts, 4.75 marks and 2.6 inside 50s a game, he impressed with his Ruck craft, his leap and an ability to find some of his running players such as Hugh Stagg and Harry Tunkin with the ball.

But what I like about him most and why i've drafted him is for his more natural play as a key defender. Whether its playing on the last line or more across half back, Oscar shows a lot of talent with his defensive nous. He has a big leap and knows how to get that fist in to spoil the ball away. He kept the ever dangerous Lukas Cooke to just the 1 goal in each of their two match ups in the under 18s finals.

With the likes of Jonas and McKenzie aging and with Lienert getting delisted, Ports key defensive stocks are in need of more replenishment and I feel Oscar is the best available key defender at this pick. The fact he can also ruck is a bonus and he'll get plenty of opportunity to development both those aspects of his game at SANFL level. He does need to put on weight and muscle, he is quite thin at the moment, but he does have the frame that should be able to grow into an AFL body.

Oscar is #41 on my draft rankings.

Heres my full write up of the 4 players from the Phantom Draft:

Port Adelaide - Pick 14

Josh Sinn - Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

186cm, 82kg Defender/Midfielder

He may have been in some injury hell this year but Sinn has sent me to heaven with this pick (sorry). Have to go best available with my first rounder and absolutely stoked to have got the #4 on my rankings list in Josh Sinn. I feel given his injuries he's fallen unfairly down the list of a lot of people and almost become a bit of the forgotten man in first round contention this year, but that just makes it all the more better for me.

Josh is a line breaking, super quick back flanker who takes the game on and has the best left foot kick in this years draft pool. He excels at hitting targets after a zone busting run and creates a lot of scoring chains by doing so. That run and carry makes him such a mouth watering proposition as a defender, with the capability of running 30m and hitting a pin point pass 40m down the field. His vision and quick thinking on the run make him a stand out for me in this years draft crop.

But what stands out even more for me is his midfield potential. He's spent some time there this year with some success and the sky is the limit with what he could produce in the future. There is quite a bit of a young Dangerfield in the way he moves around packs and is capable of breaking free from clearances. With more development around his midfield craft, that is where I see his long term future. With Port screaming out for a dynamic midfielder to not only compliment Brownlow Medallist Ollie Wines and youngsters Rozee & Butters, he looms as the perfect player to learn from and take over from Travis Boak over the coming seasons. He will add plenty of exuberance to an already solid outside midfield group of Amon, Duursma and Bergman to start with before moving into the centre square in time.

Class, Excitement, Leadership. You beauty.

Only other player in contention was Mac Andrew but this was a clear cut, no brainer decision.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 56 - Port Adelaide

Sam Breuer - GWV Rebels

183cm, 80kg Midfielder/Defender

Sam is a versatile small who has shown he can play a variety of roles for GWV Rebels this year. Whether its as a shutdown defender, or as a centre square midfielder, there have been a few constants with his game that show he has some AFL traits, those being toughness, pace, endurance and commitment to his role.

Sam has a good AFL pedigree behind him. His dad is 125-game Shayne Breuer who played in 2 grand finals for Geelong and was part of the inaugural Port Adelaide AFL squad, kicking the first goal for Port Adelaide at AFL level. Shayne was an elite runner and skillful user of the ball who also played a variety of roles at AFL level and Sam has picked up a lot of his traits.

Whilst he played the majority of the season in the backline, there were 3 games where he was moved into the midfield and really showed a lot of intent with his chances of getting drafted. He had 30 disposals, 7 tackles, 6 inside 50s and a goal against Gippsland in Round 8, backing that up with 35 disposals, 12 tackles, 4 inside 50s and a goal in Round 9 as well. There was also another match against Sandringham later in the season where whilst he didn't get a lot of the ball, he was one of the best on ground with strong ball use and good defensive play through the midfield.

The midfield is where I see his future. He is tough at the ball, sets his eyes on it and often wins it and can show good burst speed out of a pack. He has the ability to run all day and makes sure his opponent doesn't win the football. He has a long kick but does need to work on his accuracy at times. The fact he can also play as that shutdown small defender who can create off half back, or as an outside midfielder shows that there are a couple of options that can be developed once in the system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 66 - Port Adelaide

Harvey Harrison - North Adelaide

181cm, 71kg, Balanced Midfielder

Harvey is a pacey midfielder who has picked up big numbers for North Adelaide in the under 18s all season. Capable of playing both inside and out, Harvey has shown a propensity to win clearances and breakaway with the ball all season. The way he plays he looks like an outside midfielder, but the more you watch, the more you notice just how good he can be at winning his own ball as well.

He finished the season 7th in total disposals (25.2 per game) and 2nd in total clearances (5.4 per game) in the SANFL under 18s and showed a lot of consistency in winning the football, falling below 20 disposals in only 4 out of 17 games. What really catches your eye is his run and carry when he gets the ball. He tested quickest out of all players tested at the combines this year and it shows in the way he plays. He gathers the ball and puts on the jets before driving long inside 50. He has breakaway clearances that have you nodding your head in approval and he can hit the scoreboard as well, kicking 9 goals for the year including a bag of 4 against Norwood in Round 7.

Whilst his decision making is very good, his skill execution especially by foot can be improved on. He can tend to rush his kicks when going at full pace so just needs to learn to steady before he kicks. Size wise he is quite slender so will need to put on quite a bit of core strength before he can play AFL midfield. There is a lot of Karl Amon about how he plays and having a young midfielder like Harvey come in and learn from someone like Karl and Xavier Duursma will be beneficial.

He is #38 on my draft rankings.

------------------------------------------------------

Pick 67 - Port Adelaide

Oscar Adams - Glenelg

198cm, 85kg, Key Defender/Tall Utility

Oscar is a tall key defender with a good leap, good reach and an ability to play further up the field. For the first half of this season Oscar showed his versatility by playing in the Ruck for Glenelgs under 18 side and did so with distinction. Averaging 14 disposals, 20 hitouts, 4.75 marks and 2.6 inside 50s a game, he impressed with his Ruck craft, his leap and an ability to find some of his running players such as Hugh Stagg and Harry Tunkin with the ball.

But what I like about him most and why i've drafted him is for his more natural play as a key defender. Whether its playing on the last line or more across half back, Oscar shows a lot of talent with his defensive nous. He has a big leap and knows how to get that fist in to spoil the ball away. He kept the ever dangerous Lukas Cooke to just the 1 goal in each of their two match ups in the under 18s finals.

With the likes of Jonas and McKenzie aging and with Lienert getting delisted, Ports key defensive stocks are in need of more replenishment and I feel Oscar is the best available key defender at this pick. The fact he can also ruck is a bonus and he'll get plenty of opportunity to development both those aspects of his game at SANFL level. He does need to put on weight and muscle, he is quite thin at the moment, but he does have the frame that should be able to grow into an AFL body.

Oscar is #41 on my draft rankings.
Macca just to clarify for me you don’t have us taking Jayse Burgoyne ?

Macca just to clarify for me you don’t have us taking Jayse Burgoyne ?

Correct. I was hoping he'd last till the rookie draft, but someone picked him up a few picks after my last pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back