List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had thought we were a monty for pick one or two but now I’m not so sure. Hawthorn, North and Melbourne all looking wobbly.

I'd say we're still a monty for pick 2. Remember, we've also gone backwards by not retaining Brad Crouch.

ABAB

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
The SANFL won't be affected like most of last year but there is a very big chance that the AFL competition will still be affected as evident by what happen in WA this week so another good time to finish last again in another season*.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
have faith in our shitness. The league was suspicious that we were tanking in 2020, and now we gave away our best midfielder for a handful of not very magic beans

we will suck again, fear not
I just hope that the second class magic bean (not beans we got for our best player B Crouch) in Berry can become a good player for us - that would at least mitigate the very bad process that led to us pretty much giving away our best player

as for our shitness, I think we won't be too bad as I like what Nicks has been doing in using last year to see what he likes and does not like but I agree we will be down in the bottom 3 or 4 because the kids will be inconsistent and we lack depth at the moment while the kids get games under their belt. I think we will see some very promising signs this year (my opinion) but I am more than ok with this year being a development year

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know everyone wants Horne but Tyler Sonsie, cmon
And fingers crossed, if we happen to finish around the bottom 4, there will be enough top young vic kids to allow Horne to fall to us at our pick. Calling a spade a spade, whilst the young vic lads look to be very good, Horne has played at a higher level earlier on and was fantastic in his underage year at South in the league side. I am absolutely good if the club tries to prioritize him over the other kids

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
1613437549684.png

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
If I was one of the Vic kids that missed out in 2020 I'd be looking at getting a gig with one of the SANFL league teams because the way Dan Andrews has and is handling the Covid 19 crisis in Victoria I'd have no confidence in getting in a full season of NAB/VFL level games to put forward my draft chances.

It's a bit of a double edged sword.

IMO every state is going to have a mini lockdown again this year

Definitely. They lifted the international arrival cap by 50% as of yesterday, so expect more cases.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
If I was one of the Vic kids that missed out in 2020 I'd be looking at getting a gig with one of the SANFL league teams because the way Dan Andrews has and is handling the Covid 19 crisis in Victoria I'd have no confidence in getting in a full season of NAB/VFL level games to put forward my draft chances.
The AFL just ‘ripped the heart out’ of its elite pathway — and clubs are livid at the ‘neglect

In a move that list managers and recruiting officers believe will weaken the state’s draft pool and severely compromise the next generation of players, the AFL reduced funding for NAB League clubs late last year and reshaped the competition.

The changes – some of which significantly improve the pathway for girls to the AFLW – were nine months in the making and have become a source of great frustration in club circles.

The NAB League – formally the TAC Cup – was once the envy of the rest of the nation. The breeding ground for future stars. Now, according to several recruiters and list managers, it has been reduced to a bit-part player and replaced by school football and local park footy leagues.

The Gripes

LIMITED PRE-SEASON

For NAB League clubs, January and February is a crucial education period for players to learn and coaches to become more familiar with boys. AFL clubs often communicate with NAB League coaches in the summer to get a gauge on who they should be looking at in early season matches.

For as long as they’ve existed, players have benefited greatly from fitness and craft work in the summer months to prepare for the draft, all under the watchful eye of highly credentialed NAB League coaches.

But now, each club has a boys coach who doubles as the girls coach. It’s a full-time dual role that makes it impossible for both programs to operate concurrently at full capacity.

Country TAC Cup systems have had full-time coaches in the past, but this is new territory for metro NAB League clubs coaches, such as Sandringham Dragons coach Jackson Kornberg.

Other States V Vic

Fifty of the best young boys in SA had a four-day camp recently, while WA planned a three-day training camp from February 12 to 14 for the state’s Under 19 male academy. Around 20 kids were invited, according to an email sent from WA talent manager Adam Jones to AFL clubs at lunchtime on December 19.

Contrastingly there has been no get-together for Vic Country or Vic Metro boys yet and clubs have not been told why.

GROWING THE FEMALE GAME

Almost 500 girls from the NAB League completed AFLW draft testing for the first time in front of club recruiters on January 31 at La Trobe University in Bundoora. Since commencing on February 6, the NAB League season has attracted significant attention from AFLW recruiters.

Following a boom in female participation across the country, the AFL has made no secret of its desire to achieve equality in pathways regardless of gender.

And although no club officials argued with that broad ambition, most felt boys programs had been disproportionately disadvantaged with the growth of female participation.

While the girls have been training through the summer, the boys didn’t return to outdoor training until February 8 at most clubs.

THE RICH GET RICHER

This point is really grinding clubs.

It is widely believed Victorian country kids from lower socio-economic backgrounds are at a major disadvantage in 2021 due to the reduction in NAB League games and the pivot towards private school football.

AFL clubs say unless players receive a scholarship to an APS or AGS school, they are being left to their own devices until February and even then will have limited opportunities to show their skills when they play.

If parents are able and willing to send their boy to a private school, recruiters will get five to 10 more chances to look at them than if they are at state schools. Put simply, top-aged draftees who attend elite schools will be exposed considerably more than those who don’t. This hasn’t been the case in the past.

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
It would be worth looking at. Especially if you are top end possible and an SANFL team is willing to play you in the league side.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It would be worth looking at. Especially if you are top end possible and an SANFL team is willing to play you in the league side.
Would depend on how much disruption to schooling would be required to up sticks, move interstate in your Y12 year to play for potentially 1 season with an SANFL club (the caveat being that the top rated kids are very likely to be drafted anyway and start earning considerable money - so it may not be such an impost to ensure you get drafted if you are good)

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Would depend on how much disruption to schooling would be required to up sticks, move interstate in your Y12 year to play for potentially 1 season with an SANFL club (the caveat being that the top rated kids are very likely to be drafted anyway and start earning considerable money - so it may not be such an impost to ensure you get drafted if you are good)
I'm talking the Vic 19 year olds not drafted last year who would almost all have finished their schooling and most likely looking at Uni or a trade if not taking a year off study/work. i.e. South could look at promising young Ruck Max Heath, already physically developed enough to match the SANFL level Rucks.

It's a bit of a double edged sword.

IMO every state is going to have a mini lockdown again this year

Yup, completely unavoidable seeing all it takes is a decently big false positive to put a state in lockdown for a week (and longer for sports to resume).

Really, COVID is going to screw over this draft crop as well.

I'm talking the Vic 19 year olds not drafted last year who would almost all have finished their schooling and most likely looking at Uni or a trade if not taking a year off study/work. i.e. South could look at promising young Ruck Max Heath, already physically developed enough to match the SANFL level Rucks.

Are we allowed to sign any of them as top up players?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
This article probably covers it....Top ups have to be either players deemed not good enough to be on SANFL club lists or ammo's apart from 1 marquee player.

This is another dumb rule we need to be fighting

We should be allowed to sign whoever we damn well want for our reserves team

This article probably covers it....Top ups have to be either players deemed not good enough to be on SANFL club lists or ammo's apart from 1 marquee player.

So the SANFL would rather someone play for West Adelaide reserves than for our SANFL side. Sounds about right.

Stepover

Team Captain
Oct 2, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think you’ll find the ammo top up players are likely to be players that have been offered Sanfl contracts elsewhere but have rolled the dice and not signed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finn

All Australian
May 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
norwood, adelaide uni
Given the basketcase that has been over the years, whoever has turned it around deserves huge credit.

I think there is Horne next year and possibly Will Verrall the year after that will be very high draft picks.
Will Verrall has had clubs visit him in 2020. Apparently great mates with Horne as well.
I played footer with his father at Uni who is a mad keen Hawks fan.

Shaunbkk

All Australian
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Definitely. They lifted the international arrival cap by 50% as of yesterday, so expect more cases.
Unless the absolute Morons don't 'only' use facilities like Howard Springs as Q Hotels and not let Q Hotel Staff not wear Full PPE or go gallavanting after work or have a fecking party with about 40 people after work, then yes, lock downs will happen. Not the fault of returnees. Australia's ignorance in how to run Quarantine properly is unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back