List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah North are even worse than I imagined they'd be. They're a monty for pick 1

I reckon there's a bit of a race for pick 2 at this stage. Essendon, Hawthorn, us, even Fremantle all candidates

North will get pick 2 as well.

We could easily win our next 4.

won’t change the face of our season but will seriously curtail our draft position
True that but the greater good is to see improvement in not just the kids but also the game plan and general buy in on the style of play. If we end up 14th or 13th come seasons end with improvement above then so be it if we end up missing one of the very best kids as it will mean the kids we have are already on the rise

I reckon there's a bit of a race for pick 2 at this stage. Essendon, Hawthorn, us, even Fremantle all candidates
Reckon we might win half of our home games

I cannot believe they ignored McDonald for Phillips and I quite like Phillips as a player, but he’s not the guy you build your club around. McDonald is and they’ve got SFA tall Forwards. Tough inside mids on the other hand, why not grab another?

Reckon we might win half of our home games
I can see it. Our home advantage seems to be something that really spurs our group on, and then it diminishes when we play away

IMO 7 or 8 wins is absolutely achievable with this squad (although unsure how likley it is)

I cannot believe they ignored McDonald for Phillips and I quite like Phillips as a player, but he’s not the guy you build your club around. McDonald is and they’ve got SFA tall Forwards. Tough inside mids on the other hand, why not grab another?
They seem to have a LOT of belief in who they have. I'm with you though, I'm not so sure on their forward stocks. Larkey is good, but I don't think he'll be able to spearhead an attack. I would've definitely taken McDonald over Phillips, and even Hollands for what they need, especially considering this year is a midfielders draft

That said - I think Phillips will end up a very good player. I guess he's their long-term Cunnington replacement?

Think we're not that far off finals. I'd have us ahead of North, Essendon, Carlton (what a joke of a club) and possibly the Hawks. Swans are a good chance at making the 8. For lower clubs (including us) it does seem like a really long way away when you look at Ports list, as well has having to deal with Richmond in finals. Sydneys talent is also absurd, Mills and Heeney arent even their best talents anymore and theyre like 23-24.

We play good football, new rules suit what Nicks was trying to do last year with that aggressive kick off half back.

We need to go all in for luko, I don't know where we get the currency from though. he's playing on a wing as is the best kick inside 50 already, can play fwd or back as well at a high level. Use Currency from MCrouch/McAsey + first rounder.

We lack a high ceiling mid tall mid, and we need one of Fog/Himmberg to come through as a forward. Fog i seriously doubt has the tank to play midfield yet.

Should persist with smalls and defenders, our def would have to be close to the most inexperienced ever fielded in history if we didnt play dmac.

Play Pedlar/Berry/Laird/Sloane/Keays next year, and Shoen/Hately more once Sloane is done.

Last edited:
Think we're not that far off finals. I'd have us ahead of North, Essendon, Carlton (what a joke of a club) and possibly the Hawks. Swans are a good chance at making the 8. For lower clubs (including us) it does seem like a really long way away when you look at Ports list, as well has having to deal with Richmond in finals. Sydneys talent is also absurd, Mills and Heeney arent even their best talents anymore and theyre like 23-24.

We play good football, new rules suit what Nicks was trying to do last year with that aggressive kick off half back.

We need to go all in for luko, I don't know where we get the currency from though. he's playing on a wing as is the best kick inside 50 already, can play fwd or back as well at a high level. Use Currency from MCrouch/McAsey + first rounder.

We lack a high ceiling mid tall mid, and we need one of Fog/Himmberg to come through as a forward. Fog i seriously has the tank to play midfield yet.

Should persist with smalls and defenders, our def would have to be close to the most inexperienced every fielded in history if we didnt play dmac.

Play Pedlar/Berry/Laird/Sloane/Keays next year, and Shoen/Hately more once Sloane is done.
I think it's the senior players that have lifted their level. Trouble is, they are senior players.
We need more elite youth to take over from them because the ones we have right now aren't at the level (Jones, Fogarty, McHenry, McAsey etc).
List needs Horne.
If Crouch and McAsey go we could use currency for Rankine.
Lukosius comes out of contract end of 2023 that's when I would go all in on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe they’ll pick a tall, so instead of Horne and McDonald they’ll have Phillips and (insert ok forward here)
Two possibilities.

1. They think Phillips will be a better player than McDonald

2. They think it will be close, and they prefer to rebuild their midfield first and key position players second

Conventional wisdom has been to draft talls first because they take longer. But not sure that strategy has always been the best in reality. Eg Hawthorn drafted their midfield before Franklin and Roughead and then added Gibson and Lake after that IIRC.

Two possibilities.

1. They think Phillips will be a better player than McDonald

2. They think it will be close, and they prefer to rebuild their midfield first and key position players second

Conventional wisdom has been to draft talls first because they take longer. But not sure that strategy has always been the best in reality. Eg Hawthorn drafted their midfield before Franklin and Roughead and then added Gibson and Lake after that IIRC.
You also need 8 midfielders and really only one A-list tall forward, with a few b graders in support.

Maybe they want to keep adding to the mids, and grab a tall when one presents, either by draft or trade/FA (which, admittedly, has been dire for NM).

We lack a high ceiling mid tall mid, and we need one of Fog/Himmberg to come through as a forward. Fog i seriously doubt has the tank to play midfield yet.

Should persist with smalls and defenders, our def would have to be close to the most inexperienced ever fielded in history if we didnt play dmac.

I disagree about going for luko now. Use our probably still high picks at the draft to load up one more time..try to get that point of difference mid if we can. Then when luko is coming out of contract next year go hard and if it costs next years 1st and 2023 1st so be it

I know this is an unofficial Jason Horne thread, but just for a bit of balance does anyone know how the other top prospects are travelling? Sinn, Sonsie and Rachele were the highest rated at the end of last year right?

We could easily win our next 4.

won’t change the face of our season but will seriously curtail our draft position

I like winning though, and a winning culture instils the right mentality.

If one of the next four is a close one we ice out and win. Our kids suddenly have the belief they can win a close one. Huge benefits.

StonesThrow From the horse's mouth.

What are you looking to improve on?

“I think I really need to improve on my leadership. Also, me and Boofa (Jarrad Wright) the League coach talked about my field kicking going inside 50, I just think that could improve a bit from last year. Then also my goalkicking, from my point of view I think it needs a bit of improvement.”
1616984620439.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back