Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
He's already 200cm at 17 with athleticism off the charts...highly unlikely he's stopped growing yet

How tall are Paddy Ryder and Nick Natanui 2 of the absolute best tap ruckmen in the AFL?

Verrall gives every indication he has the wheels to get around the ground impressively as well, I have heard he's a bit of a "lad" so that might excite some on here that carry on about us selecting choir boys from good families yada yada.
I know a bit about Will from when he played basketball. Elite athleticism.
I didn't realise he had grown that much! Wow.
Definitely a bit of a lad, but not in a bad way.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I know a bit about Will from when he played basketball. Elite athleticism.
I didn't realise he had grown that much! Wow.
Definitely a bit of a lad, but not in a bad way.

As a 16 year old playing U18/s in 2020 #27 Panthers

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nup... i just cannot see the arguement of getting your midfield sorted first being correct given that KPD’s and KPF’s take longer than mids to develop.

if we add an elite midfielder or two this year and one next year you be aiming for them to add to the KPD’s and KPF’s we’ve got into the club over the last 2-3 years and build the team around all of that with an eye to having them all mature and hit their straps at the same time.

North seems to be doing it the other way around.. but they may end up with a good midfield but a cobbled together and inexperienced defense and fu** all worth kicking it to up forward.

we’ve got Butts, Mcasey and doedee to build our defense around..

hamill and sholl to build our half back line around..

TT, Fog mcadam (if he can find some form which he will) and to an extent frampton and himm (depth) to shape our forward line around..

we have Laird, keays and mcrouch as the workhorse types to build our midfield around

tex, sloane, smithers and talia can all help develop it... but probably wont be around for our next flag push.

all we need is to add the polish with a couple of elite, fast, penetrating ball using mids..

we can add them in the next two years and possibly even get something like a Rankine, luko or even Elijah Hollands to come and join us with some luck using our soon to be freed up salary cap..
I think drafting McAsey and Thilthorpe as our bookends with our 2 highest ever picks makes sense. Get them in earlier as they'll take more time to develop. But I think the key from here is at least 2 elite midfielders.

Also think that if needed, there's a greater pool of options in midfield to bring in through free agency, and easier to integrate into your team than trying to find a key position player.

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I think drafting McAsey and Thilthorpe as our bookends with our 2 highest ever picks makes sense. Get them in earlier as they'll take more time to develop. But I think the key from here is at least 2 elite midfielders.

Also think that if needed, there's a greater pool of options in midfield to bring in through free agency, and easier to integrate into your team than trying to find a key position player.
And this year's draft is shaping like a beauty for midfielders. Hopefully, we can maneuver our way into at least one more top-15 pick.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Draft capital will likely be the same as Brad last year. For that reason, and with the midfield being our weakest area, I'm holding onto Matt (providing he wants to stay).

Assuming he comes back for a dozen good games, Crouch probably gets us pick 19 or so (depending on other first round compo picks). I'm unsure whether that's enough.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Assuming he comes back for a dozen good games, Crouch probably gets us pick 19 or so (depending on other first round compo picks). I'm unsure whether that's enough.
It's not, but it'll be a question of whether or not we've learnt anything.

You'd think there might be more suitors for Matt but the price will be the same

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'd take a pick after our 2nd round just like his brother as a worst case scenario I wouldn't be happy but still think it's better than paying 800k over 4 or 5 years
So where are you getting this $800K and 4 or 5 years from other than this board?

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
So where are you getting this $800K and 4 or 5 years from other than this board?
No where, admittedly it's a guess, what do you value him at? What type of contract would you be offering?

Brad got 650k @ 5 years, is Matt better than Brad? Do you get more money if you take less years?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No where, admittedly it's a guess, what do you value him at? What type of contract would you be offering?

Brad got 650k @ 5 years, is Matt better than Brad? Do you get more money if you take less years?
I'd think Matt would be in the $500K - $600K salary range but I have no way of knowing what kind of money Matt's management would be looking at...and a lot will be dependent on his form when he gets back on the AFL field I would have thought.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
How do we get Roberts and Horne.
Not sure we can TBH.

Let's say Horne gets injured enough in the next couple of weeks that he misses the season including the champs, that MIGHT push him down to pick 3. That's probably where I see us landing at this stage.

Roberts would require Matt Crouch to want to leave, and us forcing a trade. Use that pick and probably next year's first to get into the top 6 this year.

So in other words it'll be very difficult

TryAnHit

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd think Matt would be in the $500K - $600K salary range but I have no way of knowing what kind of money Matt's management would be looking at...and a lot will be dependent on his form when he gets back on the AFL field I would have thought.
I think people seriously underestimate matt crouch on this board....
Hes a 30+ mid who has been AA....

Very few of them in the AFL and every team needs an extractor.... look at how our midfield has stood up without him and sloane

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I'd take a pick after our 2nd round just like his brother as a worst case scenario I wouldn't be happy but still think it's better than paying 800k over 4 or 5 years
If Matt Crouch gets $800k, he gets us a first round pick. The offers won't be that high.

I think if we offer $600k, he stays. Do we, though?

Not sure we can TBH.

Let's say Horne gets injured enough in the next couple of weeks that he misses the season including the champs, that MIGHT push him down to pick 3. That's probably where I see us landing at this stage.

Roberts would require Matt Crouch to want to leave, and us forcing a trade. Use that pick and probably next year's first to get into the top 6 this year.

So in other words it'll be very difficult
We need to be aggressive this trade period and learn from the mistakes of the 2018 draft.

A lot can happen between now and November, as you said if Horne gets injured than yes. Of course you dont want a player to get a long term injury , but if he did, I cant see a Vic Club taking a risk on a SA player who is injured, he probably would slide to us at Pick 3 or 4 or wherever we land in that Top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back