List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players can now put terms on their MSD nomination rather than the obligatory 6 months, I guess it's just how desperate they are to get on an AFL list.

Some word around that several of the 19 year old Ruck prospects are looking for 18 month contracts.
Interesting. That really makes the work of their player managers important. Go too long and miss out. Go too short and lose an opportunity.
You would want to be very confident of getting picked if you are putting a minimum 18 months contract in as a requirement.

Small forward as well as a ruck should be on the radar. Our small forward stocks are :

Murphy
Mchenry
Rowe
Newchurch

Newchurch is currently very far from an afl player so that leaves 3 very uninspiring players. Murphy would have to be the best at this stage, which is saying something (and he's injured).

Rowe and McHenry may turn out to be handy small forwards. I'm willing to give them time. Neither have pace though.

I don't see us taking a small forward but Bailey Lambert is probably among the best out there in the State Leagues currently.

Son of a gun.

“Lambert is a weapon. He’s only played three VFL games in his life coming from Richmond VFL across to us and he’s a ball of energy. He has so much confidence in himself and it’s showing in his performances.

“He hits the scoreboard, he’s elite in defence, plays tall, plays small, marks it over his head and he’s got a fair few weapons that would be quite appealing to AFL clubs if they came down and took a look.

“He’s a different type. A versatile player with elite endurance and elite speed are the ones clubs are looking at. I can imagine he would get some serious interest now. He’s a weapon in his own right and such a good player.”

Son of a gun.

“Lambert is a weapon. He’s only played three VFL games in his life coming from Richmond VFL across to us and he’s a ball of energy. He has so much confidence in himself and it’s showing in his performances.

“He hits the scoreboard, he’s elite in defence, plays tall, plays small, marks it over his head and he’s got a fair few weapons that would be quite appealing to AFL clubs if they came down and took a look.

“He’s a different type. A versatile player with elite endurance and elite speed are the ones clubs are looking at. I can imagine he would get some serious interest now. He’s a weapon in his own right and such a good player.”
if you blanked out his name..that description could be about Jason Horne

I don't see us taking a small forward but Bailey Lambert is probably among the best out there in the State Leagues currently.

Son of a gun.

Are there any 200+ cm, 100 kg ruck prospects we should look at.
I imagine GC will grab one early on, but is there one that will add something to our list?

Are there any 200+ cm, 100 kg ruck prospects we should look at.
I imagine GC will grab one early on, but is there one that will add something to our list?
3 actually Max Heath, Jacob Edwards and Ned Moyle.

Maybe even Panther ruck Damon Freitag though I see he got dropped to the 2's on the weekend.

Don't think any are 100kg yet though, Max is 203cm 94kg as of last season I believe.

Small forward as well as a ruck should be on the radar. Our small forward stocks are :

Murphy
Mchenry
Rowe
Newchurch

Newchurch is currently very far from an afl player so that leaves 3 very uninspiring players. Murphy would have to be the best at this stage, which is saying something (and he's injured).

Rowe and McHenry may turn out to be handy small forwards. I'm willing to give them time. Neither have pace though.

Tough on Rowe, he's almost averaging more goals per game than both of those guys combined (1.0 vs 1.1) despite only having 10% of their AFL experience. On track for 22 goals in his debut year as a small forward in a bottom 4 team is a tick. Sure you might think he's uninspiring because he isn't fast and flashy like some other small forwards but it doesn't matter if he can kick goals.

3 actually Max Heath, Jacob Edwards and Ned Moyle.

Maybe even Panther ruck Damon Freitag though I see he got dropped to the 2's on the weekend.

Don't think any are 100kg yet though, Max is 203cm 94kg as of last season I believe.
Those first two are still in school aren't they? Would make it very difficult to draft them mid year for a non-Victorian team.

Tough on Rowe, he's almost averaging more goals per game than both of those guys combined (1.0 vs 1.1) despite only having 10% of their AFL experience. On track for 22 goals in his debut year as a small forward in a bottom 4 team is a tick. Sure you might think he's uninspiring because he isn't fast and flashy like some other small forwards but it doesn't matter if he can kick goals.
agree here. He also has good footy smarts when he has ball in hand and usually looks to give off to the right option - even delaying a handball to ensure he tries to get it to advantage if he has any time or space available. Also a pretty good shot for goal too

He needs to be kicking plenty more goals than the other two because he offers little applied or perceived pressure, not even close to the the other lads in that regard.

Edit :

I might add James Rowe 8 AFL games vs Ned McHenry 16 AFL games doesn't equate to 10% of their AFL experience unless my maths is on the blink.

Last edited:
Those first two are still in school aren't they? Would make it very difficult to draft them mid year for a non-Victorian team.
What's the problem there if we really want one of them, they're not likely to play AFL this season anyhow....see Patrick Dangerfield.

If you wait to the National draft you have to pony up a draft pick and they may go earelier than anticipated.

What's the problem there if we really want one of them, they're not likely to play AFL this season anyhow....see Patrick Dangerfield.

If you wait to the National draft you have to pony up a draft pick and they may go earelier than anticipated.
Very true. I guess I was hoping to help bolster the SANFL team this year as well, but you are right, it should be someone we think is in the longer term plans, so if you get them now and wait until 2022 to have them playing for you, that is still worth it.

agree here. He also has good footy smarts when he has ball in hand and usually looks to give off to the right option - even delaying a handball to ensure he tries to get it to advantage if he has any time or space available. Also a pretty good shot for goal too
Small forwards need to win you games as well, and Jimmy Rowe kicked 2 goals vs. both Cats and Suns (games we won by 2 goals or less). He was very handy in those games. I'm not calling whether he will make it or not. Far too soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget that we have the toughest draw in the AFL this year, and we are only just hitting the tough section.
We will be right in the fight for bottom 2.
I think from here on, the current bottom 4 teams have draws of similar difficulty - we might have one game more against a top8 team. A lot is going to depend on the attitude of Hawks and Coll - GWS have Coll's r1 pick maybe they'll play to win.

Very true. I guess I was hoping to help bolster the SANFL team this year as well, but you are right, it should be someone we think is in the longer term plans, so if you get them now and wait until 2022 to have them playing for you, that is still worth it.
The thing is our SANFL team is going to be ridiculous with 2 rucks, a fwd/ruck and fogarty or Thiltorpe potentially. I know Strachan is hardly amazing at this point but are the club ready to cut him from the SANFL to not play at all to fit a new ruck in? I would imagine we would look to move some of our taller players on at seasons end to help sort this out. With thilthorpe looking capable we don't need frampton or himmlberg and potentially need neither

Henry Walsh might be worth a look too given he's chosen not to go the VFL route instead deciding to play in the very strong Barwon Football League for St. Joeys, played 4 games, 3 times in their bests including 2 B.O.G.'s. Surprisingly hasn't been mentioned much around the traps when he was clearly the better performed Ruck the last time all the rucks being spoken of played before this season.

It is tough and I'm happy to give him time as he's only just started. I think he's a smart footballer and knows where the goals are when he gets it. He'll get better.

What we really need is defensive pressure and he doesn't provide that. That's really Murphy's only weapon. I wish Rowe had Murphy's speed and will to tackle.

The thing is our SANFL team is going to be ridiculous with 2 rucks, a fwd/ruck and fogarty or Thiltorpe potentially. I know Strachan is hardly amazing at this point but are the club ready to cut him from the SANFL to not play at all to fit a new ruck in? I would imagine we would look to move some of our taller players on at seasons end to help sort this out. With thilthorpe looking capable we don't need frampton or himmlberg and potentially need neither
None of Frampton, Himmelberg or Fogarty are ever going to be AFL lead Ruckmen if we're being perfectly honest and I'll be really disappointed if Thilthorpe is ever used in Ruck other than as a chop out for ROB or whoever is our lead Ruck.
Frampton and Himmelberg are both Forwards that can be utilised as chop outs when the lead Ruck needs a rest at best.
Personally I'd like to see Himmelberg tried in defence as of right now, a role he's not entirely unfamiliar with while Talia is unavailable

I don't think anybody seriously considers a 25/26 year old Kieran Strachan as the future?

None of Frampton, Himmelberg or Fogarty are ever going to be AFL lead Ruckmen if we're being perfectly honest and I'll be really disappointed if Thilthorpe is ever used in Ruck other than as a chop out for ROB or whoever is our lead Ruck.
Frampton and Himmelberg are both Forwards that can be utilised as chop outs when the lead Ruck needs a rest at best.
Personally I'd like to see Himmelberg tried in defence as of right now, a role he's not entirely unfamiliar with while Talia is unavailable

I don't think anybody seriously considers a 25/26 year old Kieran Strachan as the future?
I understand your point, the reason i mentioned the others is the flow on effect if we play 2 rucks in the SANFL and then have 4 guys over 200cm in the forward line.

May as well try Himmelberg there, his performance on the weekend was incredibly average and the only reason he got a game was frampton was doing nothing, frampton has since put together multiple games better than anything himmelberg did in the SANFL

I understand your point, the reason i mentioned the others is the flow on effect if we play 2 rucks in the SANFL and then have 4 guys over 200cm in the forward line.

May as well try Himmelberg there, his performance on the weekend was incredibly average and the only reason he got a game was frampton was doing nothing, frampton has since put together multiple games better than anything himmelberg did in the SANFL
Thats the disaapointing thing with himmelberg..

He was pretty much doing nothing in the sanfl too before he was called up.. had one half decent game.. his fan club on here all squealed about how he needed to somehow be in the AFL side before he’d show us all his good form..

Their wish was granted and here we are three games later and he’s still in horrid form.

So we promoted a bloke who was going s**t in the SANFL and he’s carried that shitfullness with him into the AFL... and we have ignored one of the blokes, in Worrell, whos actually been one of our best in the SANFL.

Shocking messages to be sending to the team..

Or wait another 12 months for big Will Verrall, best on for the Panthers on the weekend? ;)

21 disposals - 15K - 6hb - 6Marks (2CM's) - 5 Clearances - 5 Tackles to go with his 37 Hit Outs.

Capture.PNG

Or wait another 12 months for big Will Verrall, best on for the Panthers on the weekend? ;)

21 disposals - 15K - 6hb - 6Marks (2CM's) - 5 Clearances - 5 Tackles to go with his 37 Hit Outs.

View attachment 1123710
I’ll be keen to see how he goes against Metros rucks as they have a bumper ruck crop next year. Nick McLarty will provide a very good battle for him

I’ll be keen to see how he goes against Metros rucks as they have a bumper ruck crop next year. Nick McLarty will provide a very good battle for him
So do they play in the U17's Future Stars at season's end if they're played this season?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back