Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
How would you compare him to Jackson at melb Bicks ?
Didn't see much of Jackson as a 16/17 year old so not much to work on there, all I know is Will caught my eye big time last year with his athleticism and agility along with his 1st class tap work. Looks every bit the modern day dominant Ruckman to me a year out from his draft..

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Didn't see much of Jackson as a 16/17 year old so not much to work on there, all I know is Will caught my eye big time last year with his athleticism and agility along with his 1st class tap work. Looks every bit the modern day dominant Ruckman to me a year out from his draft..
Sounds similar traits then , I’d target him if he’s close to Jackson’s level . A great get by melb , the kid is a gun

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Not necessarily. The picks would be 1 and 3 for North, 2 and 4 for us.
1. Horne (North)
2. Sonsie (Crows)
3. Rachele (North)
4. Roberts (Crows)
We're not getting a PP anyhow but GCS got a pick following their original 1st didn't they, or am I mistaken?

Doctor B

Club Legend
Jan 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

Having not secured a maiden victory in his brief tenure to date, the first-year coach believes the Kangaroos would be entitled to AFL support should the season be stopped at its current point.

The club began its rebuild with two first-round picks at last December's NAB AFL Draft, recruiting midfield duo Will Phillips and Tom Powell, but believe AFL assistance in the form of a priority pick would help fast-track the process.

"I'd love one, absolutely I'd love one. Why wouldn't we?" Noble said on Thursday.

"If we were in a situation where that mechanism could be activated, then I'm all for it. Absolutely.

"I think it may be a bit early," Noble said.

"(But) if you stopped it now, then yeah we do (deserve a priority pick). We could do with a bit more help. The rest of the year will probably determine that, but we're certainly interested in speaking to the AFL about a pick.

Having not secured a maiden victory in his brief tenure to date, the first-year coach believes the Kangaroos would be entitled to AFL support should the season be stopped at its current point.

The club began its rebuild with two first-round picks at last December's NAB AFL Draft, recruiting midfield duo Will Phillips and Tom Powell, but believe AFL assistance in the form of a priority pick would help fast-track the process.

"I'd love one, absolutely I'd love one. Why wouldn't we?" Noble said on Thursday.

"If we were in a situation where that mechanism could be activated, then I'm all for it. Absolutely.

"I think it may be a bit early," Noble said.

"(But) if you stopped it now, then yeah we do (deserve a priority pick). We could do with a bit more help. The rest of the year will probably determine that, but we're certainly interested in speaking to the AFL about a pick.

We didn't even get the first pick in the draft when we finished bottom.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Call me 'proud', but I'd rather we rebounded up the ladder without the aid of priority picks. I've always been against them.
North will get one and the AFL will then announce that this is the last one ever

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Which is still not ideal n either because it's looming as a Rowell/Anderson - Rankine/Lukosius type deal, keep 2 mates together i.e. Horne/Roberts so we'd be taking North Melbourne's left overs unless they were to go for 2 Vic Metro lads.

Priority picks traditionally haven't worked like compensation picks. They bookend rounds. Example - in 2004 Richmond, Hawthorn and the Dogs all got a start R1 one. Richmond ended up with 1 & 4, Hawthorn 2 & 5 and the Dogs 3 & 6.

If this does happen, they'd get 1 & 3 and we'd get 2 & 4. The only way they can pair SA boys without us having a say is if they get one and we don't. But it won't happen. If there's a priority pick, it won't be a prior to R1 pick. They'll begin with a 'prior to' round 2 pick. If s**t is still hitting the fan a year or two later - that's when they'd get one in advance of R1.

The AFL are more conservative with them now than before. Hawthorn got Roughead and Ellis from them. The Dogs got Cooney and Griffen. They're remarkably powerful assets so need to be controlled heavily.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Do you think North will?
I think they're an outside chance yes. The groundwork is being laid by the VAFL employed dolts Twomey, Beveridge and co getting in early putting it out there initially and now other Vic centric media outlets have picked up on it.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I think they're an outside chance yes. The groundwork is being laid by the VAFL employed dolts Twomey, Beveridge and co getting in early putting it out there initially and now other Vic centric media outlets have picked up on it.
I agree. Which is why I think we should be making some noise

Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
If North and Adelaide each finish 17th and 18th over '20 and '21, how the * can the AFL justify a North priority pick and not an Adelaide priority?

2019: Adelaide miss out on Noah Anderon due to GC priority pick (assuming Melb still took Jackson)

2020: Adelaide miss out on JUH

2021: North receive a priority pick while performing the same as Adelaide over '20 and '21

2021: Adelaide miss out on first round academy talent Keeler

* me.

As a member and supporter, it's these issues I feel most strongly about.

I'm confident in Olsen as an operator, just hope these issues are being brought to his attention by the footy guys.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm actually all for NM getting a priority pick and we should be straight on the blower to Nobes with a trade proposal
I think the GCS PP was contingent on them taking the 2 buddies so I'll be surprised if they're allowed to trade it?

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Be an interesting sell especially since “a win is not the aim” came out of the coaches mouth.

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Carn, Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge do not have an agenda. They're just doing their bloody job - they're pretty bloody solid journos under an ever increasing amount of pressure to pump out volumes of content. And they're very good at it. Plenty of bad journos out there who are sloppy/have agendas/look after certain clubs. Not sure these ones are.

It came up on their podcast in response to a listener question. The moment it was asked, Twomey's response was emphatically 'no'. He then outlined that the situation they find themselves in is one of their own doing - and that they made the conscious call to start afresh/again. They could have kept Brown, Higgins, Macmillan, Wood etc. and chose not to.

Sounded to me like a rational bloke unpacking the situation, responding to a question that naturally arises and making a logical and ordered response.

It's not their fault their editor picked up on that one 90 second discussion and made it a headline. AFL media are pretty independent from the league HQ anyway.

Plenty of things that are very VFL about the league right now, but I don't think this is one of them. Had we not won a game yet there'd be a discussion about us too. And it probably suits the agenda of a lot of important people that North are dreadful right now anyway.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Carn, Cal Twomey and Riley Beveridge do not have an agenda. They're just doing their bloody job - they're pretty bloody solid journos under an ever increasing amount of pressure to pump out volumes of content. And they're very good at it. Plenty of bad journos out there who are sloppy/have agendas/look after certain clubs. Not sure these ones are.

It came up on their podcast in response to a listener question. The moment it was asked, Twomey's response was emphatically 'no'. He then outlined that the situation they find themselves in is one of their own doing - and that they made the conscious call to start afresh/again. They could have kept Brown, Higgins, Macmillan, Wood etc. and chose not to.

Sounded to me like a rational bloke unpacking the situation, responding to a question that naturally arises and making a logical and ordered response.

It's not their fault their editor picked up on that one 90 second discussion and made it a headline. AFL media are pretty independent from the league HQ anyway.

Plenty of things that are very VFL about the league right now, but I don't think this is one of them. Had we not won a game yet there'd be a discussion about us too. And it probably suits the agenda of a lot of important people that North are dreadful right now anyway.
Sorry I don't share your opinion, the VAFL employed media do have agendas whether you believe it or not.

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

North are fine, too. Their current 22 sucks but that's because 11-22 are rubbish, not any other reason.

Look at who's missing. Anderson (top 25 mid), Tarrant (top 10 KPD), Polec (top 15 wingman), Corr (top 25 KPD), McDonald (top 15 rebounder, their B&F winner) & Dumont (top 50 mid). Stephenson and Bonar now too, not to mention 6-7 of their 'project kids' being injured too and denied the chance to move out of the project zone and into the good zone.

Those guys come in and all of a sudden Josh Walker, Lachie Young, Curtis Taylor, Kayne Turner, Jack Mahony, Connor Menadue, Charlie Lazzaro and Cam Zurhaar all go out. Their worst players are all of a sudden Ben McKay, LDU, Atley and Tarryn Thomas instead of those muppets above.

It's the depth that's killing them now. 6 of their best 10-11 players are out and being replaced by players ranked 30-35 on the list, not even 22-30 because those blokes are injured too.

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sorry I don't share your opinion, the VAFL employed media do have agendas whether you believe it or not.

What possible benefit do the journos in question or even league HQ get from strengthening North? When you give one club a massive advantage it comes semi-equally (not entirely, when GC got pick 2, our 3 moving to 4 and 23 odd moving to 24 odd was a bigger disadvantage than another club's 20 moving to 21 and 40 moving to 41) at the expense of all other 17 clubs collectively.

The journos in question probably secretly want their own club to prosper, sure. In this case it's Carlton for Beveridge and Essendon for Cal. Not North. ANd there's no real commercial benefit in a stronger North to the league. I'd kind of get it if it was a big market club. Gil's from bloody Adelaide anyway.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
If North and Adelaide each finish 17th and 18th over '20 and '21, how the fu** can the AFL justify a North priority pick and not an Adelaide priority?

2019: Adelaide miss out on Noah Anderon due to GC priority pick (assuming Melb still took Jackson)

2020: Adelaide miss out on JUH

2021: North receive a priority pick while performing the same as Adelaide over '20 and '21

2021: Adelaide miss out on first round academy talent Keeler

fu** me.

As a member and supporter, it's these issues I feel most strongly about.

I'm confident in Olsen as an operator, just hope these issues are being brought to his attention by the footy guys.
Well if they do and we don't think about this. 3 years running the crows have had picks starting at 3, 1 and assuming we finish 17th, pick 2. In each of those 3 years the value of the picks have dropped from 3 -4 in 2019, from 1-2 in 2020 and 2-3 in 2021. I am guessing that is unprecedented where a rebuilding team has been so shafted by the AFL systems and guess what..that team getting shafted the one and only time 3 years straight is..ADELAIDE

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back