List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'd have their predicted finishing order and probably on average that deal was 12ish for those picks.
Im not so sure, if I was in that position and heard their losing Treloar and Stephenson, I wouldnt think they would be making the 8.

That coupled with the player unrest over the dumping of these players, I think there as plenty of warning signs about the Pies.

If Matt Crouch gets $800k, he gets us a first round pick. The offers won't be that high.

I think if we offer $600k, he stays. Do we, though?

No. We've made our choice with who'll be the midfields elder statesman of this rebuild, and it wasn't Crouch.

Firmly time to move on.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
This draft capital you speak of, define in in what draft picks/compo is acceptable?

Not enough. Band 1 is highly unlikely, so it'll be 19 or whatever that pushes back to. Definitely 20+ because pies will be matching into round 1 which they don't presently have. I doubt there's any risk of him staying and he's not on the s**t list like Brad was, so they should match this time and then look to get a better pick or similar pick and upgrade. Unless it's the Roos, in which case we're stuffed.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
If Matt Crouch gets $800k, he gets us a first round pick. The offers won't be that high.

Matt for 600k is a bargain. He'd be on more than that atm IMO.

Brad was rumoured to be getting around that mark for 5 years at the saints plus triggers.

I'd think Matt will be looking around 800k if he stays.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think we'd pay market rate by 4 years, question is whether he wants to stay. No reason to think he doesn't, but I think there'll be a few offers around the same $ and he'll just choose where he wants to play. Maybe a longer deal or certain contender might be something we can't offer, but I doubt it'll be $ based.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is that meant to be an argument in support of your view? What if we'd kicked 10:30 to 15:1 and dominated play? Would that be being competitive?
Your thick head is in penetrable.

Think critically about the idea of going a season of losing EVERY game where you would be happy with how the season went because we were competitive.

That would mean losing to North and Hawks twice as well as all of the other bottom teams.

If we're losing ALL of those games, we're not going to (in the real world) push any of the good sides to earn competitive losses. There would be something seriously wrong.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think people seriously underestimate matt crouch on this board....
Hes a 30+ mid who has been AA....

Very few of them in the AFL and every team needs an extractor.... look at how our midfield has stood up without him and sloane
People may underestimate him.... But Mutineer is not one of them

I would send Matt to free agency just like Brad, with the one exception that I would actually match his deal if it didn't give us a first round pick.

I would be comfortable paying a salary that didn't generate a first round compensation pick, but think that the $800k+ range required for the first rounder is too much

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I would send Matt to free agency just like Brad, with the one exception that I would actually match his deal if it didn't give us a first round pick.

I would be comfortable paying a salary that didn't generate a first round compensation pick, but think that the $800k+ range required for the first rounder is too much
Far too much IMO.

Like I said earlier, this will be a huge test to see if we learnt from our mistake.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Will be interested to see how M Crouch returns.

He finished 2020 well and looked fit in those training highlights recently (quick feet!)

I actually think he'll be better without Campo plus without Campo's #1 disciple (Brad) telling him defense doesn't matter, just win it at the contest

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Matt's not getting $800K anywhere that's just fanciful thinking, He'll be in the $550 - 600K range IMO. All dependent on him coming back and getting back to his best, in that case if he's bought into the Crows 100% (He's never given any indication he hasn't) then we'd be foolish not to retain him at his age on that sort of money.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Will be interested to see how M Crouch returns.

He finished 2020 well and looked fit in those training highlights recently (quick feet!)

I actually think he'll be better without Campo plus without Campo's #1 disciple (Brad) telling him defense doesn't matter, just win it at the contest

Matt's always played better without his brother too.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
What would your strategy be? Remember, 850k = band 1.

That feels high. Daniher was $830k and was a band one. Lycett was $600k and band 2. At some stage between those numbers is the tipping point.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Would we have been given Band 1 compo for Brad if we'd finish 10th?

Whole thing has always seemed a bit "flexible"

Nah, he was miles off it.

You'd have to be in excess of $700k, and Brad didn't get anywhere near that.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Nah, he was miles off it.

You'd have to be in excess of $700k, and Brad didn't get anywhere near that.
I doubt he was miles off it given that we obviously thought he was around the mark

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
We need to be aggressive this trade period and learn from the mistakes of the 2018 draft.

A lot can happen between now and November, as you said if Horne gets injured than yes. Of course you dont want a player to get a long term injury , but if he did, I cant see a Vic Club taking a risk on a SA player who is injured, he probably would slide to us at Pick 3 or 4 or wherever we land in that Top 5.
I guess things can change - a year out and I didn't think we'd have a shot at getting Thilthorpe yet here we are - but chances of Horne are remote IMO.

If we want to continue the SA flavour, reckon Matt Roberts with maybe a top 4 pick and Arlo Draper with a near start of r2 pick might be our best chances of drafting midfielders.

Would we have been given Band 1 compo for Brad if we'd finish 10th?

Whole thing has always seemed a bit "flexible"
In Victoria, they lost their minds, our first time to crash to the bottom of the table and we potentially get rewarded Pick 1 and 2 as a rewards.

No way was this going to get through. I agree that Band 1 compo seems flexible and rigged.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
$700k-$750k + would net band one.. Brad didnt get anywhere near that.

and if we pay m crouch $800k a year then we’re dumb as dog s**t. it would be vomit worthy.

$600k a year MAXIMUM. and no more than a 4 year contract. his body in recent years, ever since those bad hammy’s he suffered at the start of 2018, hasn't been reliable enought to warrant giving him anymore than 4 years. i’d prefer to see him given 3 years at $600k, take it or leave it..

and I wont care if he did end up leaving and we only got an end of first compo to be brutally honest. we need to free up some space in our midfield for the high draft pick mids we will have coming in in the next two years and laird, crouch, keays and sloane are all too similar.. losing one of them wont hurt much in the end especially if we replace him with one of Roberts, sinn, Horne, draper or sonsie..

probably get a “thumbs down” from Mutineer for this comment.. but I can live with that.

edit: and would you look at that, it took less than five minutes to get it.. very efficient mutineer... very efficient!..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back