List Mgmt. 2021 Draft picks: 4/33/75

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hence "you need to get a lot of things right"

Look at all the successful teams. They do a lot of things right but also have those elite players.
The successful teams make their average players a lot better than most clubs.

The successful teams make their average players a lot better than most clubs.
I think you make a very good point here.

People seem to want to draft 10 top 5 picks when that’s not reality I don’t think.

The great Hawks had a few top hits like Roughy, Franklin Hodge. The current Tigers dynasty has been anchored by 2 top 5 picks - Cotchin and Martin.

But as you say those clubs have assembled a lot of good foot soldiers or good lower picks around them. That’s the key.

I think we should be doing the best we can to encourage CCJ home.

tell himm to look for a trade and let him know we will make any trade very easy to facilitate. Stale packet of chips will do it. Suns could probably do with another 200cm forward/ruck with experience.

keep Frampton for depth and SANFL leadership which, according to Nicksy anyway, he has really stepped up and provided this year.

get Matt Roberts.. hopefully he’ll be there at our 1st pick which should be between 3 and 7. His recent ankle injury should help see him slide a bit.

if we got CCJ then our tall forwards in CCJ, Fog and TT would be set for years to come. The advantage being that even though they are really tall both CCJ and TT are very mobile and agile for big men.. hell, TT plays like an extra tall small forward ffs!

we desperately need an xfactor small forward. Rowe I think will improve but we need an indigenous lad. The indigenous lads just seems to have it.. but I’m not sure newchurch is the one.

Dylan Stephens and jordan Dawson (perfect age bracket) should be seriously considered and sounded out if there is even the tiniest of rumours about them wanting to come home..

and, of course, next year, if one or both of them dont re-sign, Luko and Rankine should be right in our crosshairs.
Problem is we need midfield over forwards

I think our forwards are ok enough that a Morgan Ferres may be all we need - we either keep Crouch as our 27 yr old or we move Crouch on and bring someone else in ( not sure that makes sense) or back Berry, Harry and co and hope we draft a Horne/Roberts type

The thing that'll attract Horne back is if we have money or we are looking very promising.

.....and the trading hand from heaven.

I have seen Daicos play and he's not on the same level as this kid.

There's a reason your local paper is already talking 2 x 1st round picks to get him this year.

Berry is unproven? He had as many opportunity to kick quite a few goals as Schoenberg this year.
He’s young still but has shown plenty. His kicking at goal has been a bit erratic, hopefully it’s just nerves and inexperience. Don’t just the gun and say he is the answer YET.

I don't put zero credence on big footy rumours or AFL

Me fail English? That’s unpossible!

Absolutely, look at all the flags Carlton has won

Swing & miss picks +
Terrible development +
Terrible culture

And that’s why our rebuild looks in front of theirs already

Surely the Crows just want to hit the next 1-2 drafts hard and build up the midfield depth?

I could see them live trading up the 2022 1st round pick if they snag Roberts & Draper is still on the board, but they might have to sweeten the deal a little bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not to mention throwing $800k/year over 5 at a HFF, and $900k/year for 6 years for a HBF

They could have thrown that $$$ at Brouch and got a real midfielder too

Hence "you need to get a lot of things right"

Look at all the successful teams. They do a lot of things right but also have those elite players.
But are Elite players exclusively top picks? Brownlow's certainly doesn't suggest its the case. The last #1 pick to win it was 13 seasons ago (Adam Cooney in 2008).

And the last 3 Brownlow medalists were pick 58, 20 and 21 respectively. Meaning EVERY club passed on the last three guys judged the AFL's Best and Fairest player at least once (3 times in Lachie Neale's Case). Hell Priddis won it after not even getting drafted.

Surely the Crows just want to hit the next 1-2 drafts hard and build up the midfield depth?

I could see them live trading up the 2022 1st round pick if they snag Roberts & Draper is still on the board, but they might have to sweeten the deal a little bit.

I can't see us moving that 2022 pick on, not with Verrall or Keeler (screw the AFL and them changing the NGA rules) on the board next year.

But are Elite players exclusively top picks? Brownlow's certainly doesn't suggest its the case. The last #1 pick to win it was 13 seasons ago (Adam Cooney in 2008).

And the last 3 Brownlow medalists were pick 58, 20 and 21 respectively. Meaning EVERY club passed on the last three guys judged the AFL's Best and Fairest player at least once (3 times in Lachie Neale's Case). Hell Priddis won it after not even getting drafted.

I don't think you can build a premiership contending side without a bunch of top picks. Not any more at least.

Look at the top sides at the moment:
Melbourne - Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Jackson all top five picks
Bulldogs - Bont, MacRae, Smith, Naughton all early picks
Richmond - Dusty, Cotchin, Vlaustin, Reiwoldt
Geelong - Selwood, Hawkins. Probably the outlier but they've done better than anyone with trades and FA.
Port - Boak, Wines, Rozee, Butters. Their list falls away fairly quickly though, so not in premiership contention.

I don't think you can build a premiership contending side without a bunch of top picks. Not any more at least.

Look at the top sides at the moment:
Melbourne - Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Jackson all top five picks
Bulldogs - Bont, MacRae, Smith, Naughton all early picks
Richmond - Dusty, Cotchin, Vlaustin, Reiwoldt
Geelong - Selwood, Hawkins. Probably the outlier but they've done better than anyone with trades and FA.
Port - Boak, Wines, Rozee, Butters. Their list falls away fairly quickly though, so not in premiership contention.
But you've actually helped my point here. A lot of those players are in the 5-12 range. Which will probably still be our hitting zone for the next couple drafts (and if not, is a very achievable range to trade into).

So by that logic, there really is no reason to believe we aren't in just as good a position to pick up potentially 'Elite' Players and still win games during the rebuild, then we would be if we won nothing and got pick 1

But you've actually helped my point here. A lot of those players are in the 5-12 range. Which will probably still be our hitting zone for the next couple drafts (and if not, is a very achievable range to trade into).

So by that logic, there really is no reason to believe we aren't in just as good a position to pick up potentially 'Elite' Players and still win games during the rebuild, then we would be if we won nothing and got pick 1

Also helps when you use your early picks on midfielders instead of KPD's and back flankers.

Also helps when you use your early picks on midfielders instead of KPD's and back flankers.
That old chestnut, go and read Scorps post a few pages back.... we didnt miss out on much

I can understand why you would want to. :thumbsu:
I think we are lucky this year are there are a number of mids that look to be quite good and assuming we finish in the bottom 5 or so, we are sure to grab one - a few of us are thinking Horne's South Adelaide club mate Roberts as he is very dynamic and a goalkicking mid to boot - he unfortunately just got injured so will miss the champs which may help us if the club wants him

But either way we should be right in the hitting zone to take a good mid with our 1st pick. I would not want to be using our 2022 in this draft with a few highly rated SA kids next year coming through and also the possibility of making a big play for Rankine or Lukosius from GC. Horne will be at North assuming they want him and no one else puts up their hand at the champs top overshadow him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back