List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Picks part deux: 4/33/75

Pick4…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

In the last 20 years, we have IIRC had "4 opportunities" IMO to win the flag, twice in the '00s, 2012 and 2017.

In the '00s we lacked decent key forwards, in 2012 we blew it by losing the qualifying final to Sydney at home against a team we beat at their home earlier that year and we all know about 2017.
Craig was a victim of his own stubbornness, plus injuries, illness and suspensions.

Sando had one genuine crack then we know the Tippett stuff, plus Tex doing his knee. He was a good assistant doing a head coaches job.

Pyke got the team up again after the lowest of lows, was poor at injury management, and then let Burton burn the place down. Injuries in late 2017 killed that chance.

Looking over the border, our brethren at the eagles took three locals to round out their draft. They draft with vision. They're such a strong, differentiated club and I am jealous of them.

I'm sure we considered our guys best available and got what we wanted. But I am seeing a familiar future where whoever gets good, Victoria will all-in campaign and bay for their returns home. We'll suffer again through the undermining experience of never quite feeling like they're our players, and some won't be with us when we finally and ultimately need them.

I love Leek Alleer's story. His uncles and broader family are obsessed with the Crows. They love Ricciuto and McLeod. They love the club. They love their South Australian community. Drafting him would bring so much more than a player to our football club. He would be fulfilling his community's dreams by giving his heart and soul to South Australia's team. He was our person.

West Coast get that state lines are real but also that there is folly in thinking you can predict better than 17 other clubs and differentiate yourself that way. They play a profoundly nourishing heritage role in their community. What and who does Adelaide stand for? Who are we? I feel like we lack the vision to fulfill the first line in our song and make ourselves something that stands in a substantial way for our home. That, more than anything, is why we haven't won a premiership since 1998 in my opinion.

does anyone speak Jive?

Craig was a victim of his own stubbornness, plus injuries, illness and suspensions.

Sando had one genuine crack then we know the Tippett stuff, plus Tex doing his knee. He was a good assistant doing a head coaches job.

Pyke got the team up again after the lowest of lows, was poor at injury management, and then let Burton burn the place down. Injuries in late 2017 killed that chance.

Losing Walsh was one of the biggest tragedies. :'(

My preferences for for the rookie draft, focussed on upside/ point of difference (because there's not much value drafting a fringe top 30 player) (from not much more than looking at highlights and write-ups and making s**t up):

Midfielders (who aren't 180cm)
- Ned Long (192cm) - not fast, but looks agile for a guy his size and could have shown more if not for injury/ COVID
- Kade Dittmar (186cm) - inside mid with awesome level of aggression. Skills can be worked on (and we have a bunch of that he can handball to)
(? Joshua Browne (185) gets a heap bit not damaging, won't cry if the club sees more. Stagg is 180cm. Fejo Jnr is 178cm, but would be fun to watch)

Forwards (who are not 180cm)
- Lucas Cook (195/6) - can move and get a goal, replace Easy?
- Morgan Ferres (190) - more a mid sized forward, which I think is more a need than tall forward. Kicked 13 goals in 2 U18 games then played ressies. Competes with Gallant/ McAdam for a spot?

Defenders
- Blake Schlensog (199) - been in the system but still young, mobile and can lock down the big boys. Couldn't hurt to have some support either end

Is there any signs at all that we’ll even bother taking a player in the rookie draft?
Hamish said we would take one and might even take 2, if the second target was still available.

Most clubs look to be redrafting current players and otherwise committed to someone else's player already, so we might be one of a small number of clubs taking "live" picks.

This intrusion by the AFL in granting GC a "Priority" pick ....simply stuffs up the AFL Draft & could inadvertantly give FREO a future Premiership as a result

Have any of these 3 years worth of picks helped GC .....you be the judge

So FREO get Will Brodie and Johnson for a 2nd round pick (probably #28)

1637895274835.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing Walsh was one of the biggest tragedies. :'(
It was, nothing else comes close to what those players had to go through.

Pyke and Campo did well to bring everyone back together, then they helped blow it back up again.

This intrusion by the AFL in granting GC a "Priority" pick ....simply stuffs up the AFL Draft & could inadvertantly give FREO a future Premiership as a result

View attachment 1287805
That's Gold Coast's usual stupidity trading their pick for unders

That's Gold Coast's usual stupidity trading their pick for unders
It's almost as if the pick had little value, being an AFL Freebie ........

566LHPs.gif

Yep, surprised me with that move. I was sure it would be Butts getting the upgrade.

It means that we definitely need to upgrade Butts and Strachan next year, as they will be hitting the maximum rookie list tenure (even after the AFL extended it). That's something for people to keep in mind, when the 2022 list management thread kicks off.

On SM-T510 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Im glad we rewarded Keays last 2 seasons by upgrading him to the main list. I know it doesn't really change anything, but it's still nice for him to be on the main list.

View attachment 1287805
For all the concessions they have received, they have Noah Anderson to show for it, while the draft has been compromised and they lost Hugh Greenwood as a direct result of academy pre-selection.

Meanwhile, they are still offering players like Atkins and Chol long term, high value contracts and finished 3rd bottom again.

Might be time for some more draft concessions.

I’ll clarify that by saying we could reconsider Hamish’s position if we’re not making finals in 2-3 years

I think finals are a given in 2 years.

Is it sustainable long term ?

I have concerns over whether this mosquito fleet works for us (or anybody) in an evolving landscape

For all the concessions they have received, they have Noah Anderson to show for it, while the draft has been compromised and they lost Hugh Greenwood as a direct result of academy pre-selection.

Meanwhile, they are still offering players like Atkins and Chol long term, high value contracts and finished 3rd bottom again.

Might be time for some more draft concessions. to fold the club and give the license to Tasmania
FTFY

Back