List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Picks part deux: 4/33/75

Pick4…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously it was meaning, as opposed to selecting for a specific positional need.
Again I doubt Reid would say “Steve here isn’t the best player available, but all of our midfielders are short people so Steve it is”

In practice we may tailor for need, location etc. but I doubt we would broadcast that our guy at pick 4 is anything other than “best available”

pretty hard to watch this and not be impressed. great overhead, great decision making and execution, speed to break away from the contest, reads the play well and can find the goals..

188cm/80kgs… yes please.

TBH when I watched that clip I got a very similar vibe to the one I remember getting when I watched a young Darcy Fogarty walking through tackles and spoiling attempts as a prospect. Just a man-child playing against boys, and dominating due to size and confidence. Not saying they are the same player, or play the same roll. But just the manner in which they attacked the pill and contest without any fear of being beaten or hurt.

I think Erasmus has Darcy well and truly covered in mobility and athleticism though. And by the looks of it, overhead marking. Think he could the kind of kid that plays round 1 in his first season, and wont look at all out of place!

Pick 1: North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
Pick 2: Western Bulldogs (GWS bid) - Sam Darcy
Pick 3: Collingwood (GWS bid) - Nick Daicos
Pick 4: GWS - Finn Callaghan
Pick 5: Gold Coast - Josh Gibcus
Pick 6: Hawthorn - Josh Ward (Pick Swap - Crows Pick 6 for Hawks Pick 7 & 2022 2nd)
Pick 7: Richmond - Ben Hobbs (Pick Swap - Crows Pick 7 & 2022 3rd for Richmond Pick 9 & 17)
Pick 8: Fremantle - Neil Erasmus
Pick 9: Adelaide - Josh Rachele
Pick 10: Fremantle - Jye Amiss
Pick 11: St Kilda - Josh Sinn
Pick 12: West Coast - Matthew Johnson
Pick 13: Essendon - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Pick 14: Port Adelaide - Arlo Draper
Pick 15: GWS - Mac Andrew
Pick 16: Brisbane - Tyler Sonsie
Pick 17: Adelaide - Josh Goater
Pick 18: Sydney - Campbell Chesser
Pick 19: Melbourne - Mitch Knevitt
Pick 20: Brisbane - Darcy Wilmot

Draft Central's eDPS draft rankings tier wise....tiers in alphabetical order before someone comes up with the obvious...

A little teaser to my updated rankings that come out on Monday, here is an updated tier list

Nick Daicos
Jason Horne-Francis

Finn Callaghan
Sam Darcy
Josh Gibcus
Ben Hobbs

Mac Andrew
Campbell Chesser
Neil Erasmus
Josh Goater
Josh Rachele
Josh Sinn
Tyler Sonsie
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Josh Ward

Jye Amiss
Sam Butler
Judson Clarke
Arlo Draper
Josh Fahey
Matthew Johnson
Mitchell Knevitt
Kai Lohmann
Mitchito Owens
Zac Taylor
Darcy Wilmot

Tom Brown
Brady Hough
Blake Howes
Cooper Murley
Angus Sheldrick
Jacob Van Rooyen

Leek Aleer
Jamieson Ballantyne
Rhett Bazzo
Eric Benning
Miller Bergman
Paul Curtis
Charlie Dean
Youseph Dib
Ronald Fejo Jr
Hugh Jackson
Ned Long
Connor MacDonald
Charlie Molan
Jesse Motlop
Luke Nankervis
Lachlan Rankin
Matthew Roberts
Corey Warner
Bryce Watson
Jack Williams
James Willis
Marcus Windhager

Pick 1: North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
Pick 2: Western Bulldogs (GWS bid) - Sam Darcy
Pick 3: Collingwood (GWS bid) - Nick Daicos
Pick 4: GWS - Finn Callaghan
Pick 5: Gold Coast - Josh Gibcus
Pick 6: Hawthorn - Josh Ward (Pick Swap - Crows Pick 6 for Hawks Pick 7 & 2022 2nd)
Pick 7: Richmond - Ben Hobbs (Pick Swap - Crows Pick 7 & 2022 3rd for Richmond Pick 9 & 17)
Pick 8: Fremantle - Neil Erasmus
Pick 9: Adelaide - Josh Rachele
Pick 10: Fremantle - Jye Amiss
Pick 11: St Kilda - Josh Sinn
Pick 12: West Coast - Matthew Johnson
Pick 13: Essendon - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Pick 14: Port Adelaide - Arlo Draper
Pick 15: GWS - Mac Andrew
Pick 16: Brisbane - Tyler Sonsie
Pick 17: Adelaide - Josh Goater
Pick 18: Sydney - Campbell Chesser
Pick 19: Melbourne - Mitch Knevitt
Pick 20: Brisbane - Darcy Wilmot

Id be bloody happy with that. Rachele and goater as a package yes please

pretty hard to watch this and not be impressed. great overhead, great decision making and execution, speed to break away from the contest, reads the play well and can find the goals..

188cm/80kgs… yes please.

I've only seen him play once but I liked what I saw. Seems to have a knock on his kicking consistency, but I think he's still a classy player and makes good decisions. Would be happier with him over goater. Modern artillery had big wraps on him.

Draft Central's eDPS draft rankings tier wise....tiers in alphabetical order before someone comes up with the obvious...

Really rate eDPS rankings, looking forward to his updated list Monday.

Bit surprised that Ward isn't in that second tier, but overall looks pretty spot on.

I've only seen him play once but I liked what I saw. Seems to have a knock on his kicking consistency, but I think he's still a classy player and makes good decisions. Would be happier with him over goater. Modern artillery had big wraps on him.
If that highlights package is reflective of his strengths (it might not be) then I’d be cautious to use a top 10 pick

60 percent strong marks
30 percent ground ball receives
10 percent ground ball wins

Not sure about pick 4 for a 188cm player whose primary strength is contested marking

A contest winning skilful midfielder who can also go forward to take the occasional contested mark? Absolutely, if that’s what he is, but it didn’t come through in those 3 minutes of highlights.

188cm/80kgs… yes please.

Maybe I'm watching in slow motion, but he looks very one paced to me. Seems a Cripps type (even the same number). Great overhead and good decision making, but IMO, doesn't have the break away speed we would be looking for. I think we have that type covered with Hately.

If that highlights package is reflective of his strengths (it might not be) then I’d be cautious to use a top 10 pick

60 percent strong marks
30 percent ground ball receives
10 percent ground ball wins

Not sure about pick 4 for a 188cm player whose primary strength is contested marking

A contest winning skilful midfielder who can also go forward to take the occasional contested mark? Absolutely, if that’s what he is, but it didn’t come through in those 3 minutes of highlights.
2021 Averages:

WAFL Colts: 28.0 disposals | 7.8 marks | 4.0 tackles | 4.0 inside 50s | 0.3 goals (1 total)

Has shown he can hit the scoreboard last season.

A proven contested, big and skilful midfielder doesn't exist for us at pick 4. Erasmus might tick the most boxes though and I do believe he has class (at least in decision making and clean hands) from the limited footage I've seen.

I'm not completely sold as I've seen f all vision from most players outside of SA.

If it happens to be Rachele, at least we're filling a need in class, speed and forward craft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I'm watching in slow motion, but he looks very one paced to me. Seems a Cripps type (even the same number). Great overhead and good decision making, but IMO, doesn't have the break away speed we would be looking for. I think we have that type covered with Hately.

I was more impressed than you. He seems to have a complete game including fierce tackling, marking, and goals. There was plenty of breaking away. A good prospect and he should get more presence with the body filling out.

My only caution is the usual, that this is only a highlights package. One needs to see a full game to get a realistic view.

Which raises the age old debate ...do club have an eye to list needs when Drafting ....even in the first round

It's apparent, that if Nicks is looking for a speedy midfielder, or a bigger midfielder, then that's what our recruiters will focus on .....if possible of course

Split the pick, get 2 shots this year, then bring 2023 forward and get 2 shots next year as well. Then we have 4x1sts on the list, rather than just 3.

Much better option. The earlier we get young talent on the list the better - if we are able to split 4 for 7/15 then we would be very confident what we can add this year.

Having just delisted O’Connor and Davis suggests it may be more likely than we originally thought

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m very keen on Erasmus and am wary of Freo taking him with 6 if we pick trade and slide down.

They may go Amiss first up but I reckon they’ll try to land Erasmus and Amiss with their double Top 10 picks.

Would make a heap of sense for them. Both widely regarded as top 10-15 picks and both WA boys. When you get elite local talent around those picks you have to grab them

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With the latest delistings that leaves us with 4 picks in the draft? (5 with Dawson)

Reckon we are splitting the pick…..
Could still go either way.

Option 1 - Split the pick, make 3x ND selections and upgrade 1x rookie (Butts or Strachan)
Option 2 - Don't split the pick, make 2x ND selections and upgrade 2x rookies (Butts and Strachan)

Damn straight. 4 won’t net 7 and 15 alone.

Well that depends on how desperate Richmond is for their guy, and how desperate we are for our guy.

Draft picks can be hard to gauge with value, even at the best of times. After all, talent orders would vary from club to club, and a player we might have at 8-9 on our list might be 3rd elsewhere.

Interesting that it says that they may rookie Davis. This strongly suggests to me that we'll be targeting big bodied mids and with talent likely available and how quick we expect it to develop, O'connor would just be in their way so he had to go. Pity, I thought he had lots of potential, but it is what it is.

Which raises the age old debate ...do club have an eye to list needs when Drafting ....even in the first round

It's apparent, that if Nicks is looking for a speedy midfielder, or a bigger midfielder, then that's what our recruiters will focus on .....if possible of course
Not overly. They don't get a lot of notes from the coaches etc about needs as it may mean ignoring 20 far better prospects. Draft for skill, trade for need.

Back