List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Picks part deux: 4/33/75

Pick4…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 18, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Which raises the age old debate ...do club have an eye to list needs when Drafting ....even in the first round

It's apparent, that if Nicks is looking for a speedy midfielder, or a bigger midfielder, then that's what our recruiters will focus on .....if possible of course
Not overly. They don't get a lot of notes from the coaches etc about needs as it may mean ignoring 20 far better prospects. Draft for skill, trade for need.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Not overly. They don't get a lot of notes from the coaches etc about needs as it may mean ignoring 20 far better prospects. Draft for skill, trade for need.
So we'll Draft Gibcus at our pick, even though we don't need another KPD ? ......I would almost guarantee we wont

I do believe we Draft best available in an area we're deficient in ......why has GWS looking at talls at #2, well linked anyway ....because they're a need

Why do all the Phantom Drafts have players associated with us, based on our perceived needs

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
So we'll Draft Gibcus at our pick, even though we don't need another KPD ? ......I would almost guarantee we wont

I do believe we Draft best available in an area we're deficient in ......why has GWS looking at talls at #2, well linked anyway ....because they're a need

Why do all the Phantom Drafts have players associated with us, based on our perceived needs
Nah they gonna pick up a tall late...:p SA's Oscar Adams or Jordan Lukac...

Not really...Josh Fahey points.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Thoughts Mutineer ? ....more info

Another ranga?
Rankin's a likely type with a good turn of foot but where would you play him, smallish defender or smallish midfielder? If we're going smallish ZacTaylor would be my preference.

Where is Dib going to play at AFL level at his height?, again a decent enough player but hard to see him playing midfield at his size so small forward? Pies NGA.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Definitely would be happy to pickup Lukak ......Pick #70 or 4th pick in the Rookie Draft ?
I'd be happy enough to rookie both Lukac or Adams who had a very strong finish to his season, can also chop out in ruck like Lukac.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Projects better than any on our current list including my boy Jordan Butts..If only McAsey had his athleticism and speed...

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Understand this, but very few 18 yo's are close to being the finished product .....the secret in good recruiting is to project what a player can be with the right development

Adam Goodes in his Draft year went at #27 .....the knock on his was inconsistency, and what role does he play at AFL

People selecting players purely on the Draft year form often end up with duds ......it's about skill-sets and Goaters strengths outweigh his defficiencies ......he just rush's his kicks

Goodes was taken as a 17yr old, playing CHF, in a year when each club could only take one 17yr old

CROUCH #2

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know its very rare to take a WA lad but I'm liking the highlights of Matthew Johnson.

He fits the type of midfielder we lack.

Anyone got any views?

JimmyTheScoop

Club Legend
Sep 1, 2014
Well that depends on how desperate Richmond is for their guy, and how desperate we are for our guy.

Draft picks can be hard to gauge with value, even at the best of times. After all, talent orders would vary from club to club, and a player we might have at 8-9 on our list might be 3rd elsewhere.

And didn’t we jag x2 firsts from GWS for our first on draft night?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Oct 18, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide

Depends on our read of the talent. This isn't my opinion, it's from a direct quote.

Oh and as for mock drafts, whilst the work that goes into them is appreciated, they're not held in the highest esteem.

Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like where they quote Peter Bell:

However Dockers football boss Peter Bell stressed during the trade period his club wouldn’t necessarily target local draft talent this year, despite several WA prospects considered to be in top-10 contention.

I wonder what Adam Cerra thinks of that? :laughv1:

giphy-com-sounds-good-to-me-e-gif.1265991

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like where they quote Peter Bell:

However Dockers football boss Peter Bell stressed during the trade period his club wouldn’t necessarily target local draft talent this year, despite several WA prospects considered to be in top-10 contention.

I wonder what Adam Cerra thinks of that? :laughv1:

giphy-com-sounds-good-to-me-e-gif.1265991
If there is high end WA talent inside the top.10 freo would be insane to not go after it..no go home factor and not reaching for the picks as talent is at the right mark for the picks. Erasmus and Amiss would suit them down to the ground i would have thought

Crows I Am

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2006
Adelaide S.A
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Could still go either way.

Option 1 - Split the pick, make 3x ND selections and upgrade 1x rookie (Butts or Strachan)
Option 2 - Don't split the pick, make 2x ND selections and upgrade 2x rookies (Butts and Strachan)
Is there a reason why you think we would upgrade Strachan before Keays? I would have thought we would promote Keays first after his performance over the last 2 years.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Is there a reason why you think we would upgrade Strachan before Keays? I would have thought we would promote Keays first after his performance over the last 2 years.
Yes. Strachan has been on the rookie list for 3 years, Keays only 2.

There is now no difference, as far as the players are concerned, between being on the rookie list and senior list. Rookies can be selected, from R1, without the need for a senior listed player going on the LTI list. They get paid the same, and have the same playing rights, so the fact that Keays is in the best 22 and Strachan isn't just doesn't matter.

Back