List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Picks part deux: 4/33/75

Pick4…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane Cornes would have smashed us even more in the media if that happened and Dawson would have chosen Port Power over us and the media would have continue their BS that Port Power are a "destination" club even though facts show they just recruit any players who wants to join them so NO.
Its an interesting thought. Would dawson still have been keen to come to us if we finished bottom or lost to bottom side north and finished 2nd bottom? Maybe he would and it would not have mattered. If it woukd have affected his decision, we get callaghan at pick 2 but miss dawson to port and also miss a rachele or goater or hobbs etc. I think i'd rather dawson and one of thoe boys rather than pick 2 and callaghan who a few of us have real flight risk concerns with anyway

Hawks run home....
Drew v rich
Beat dogs
Beat pies
Beat bris
Lost to us
Drew v melb

They were playing great

In the weeks from the bye to our match, they were 2-1-3 in terms of record. They were not playing great football, and they only begun to play great football because Clarko announced he was out. They had also lost the last 5 games leading into the bye, making their record 2-1-8 since we played them in round 6.

They're a garbage football team who just spiked for a few weeks because of a coaching announcement. Now whether that's they're Clarkos men and the pressure came off him which caused them to bounce, or they had become completely stale under him remains to be seen.

Hawks run home....
Drew v rich
Beat dogs
Beat pies
Beat bris
Lost to us
Drew v melb

They were playing great
Playing for their outgoing coach after it was announced he would be leaving.

Reckon they will be closer to the spoon next season.

Josh Goater seems to be getting a bad wrap by some, maybe look at his body of work in the few NAB League games he played.

Contrary to what some think he is not a poor kick and does not have any issues technique wise generally, what he does need to learn when playing midfield is to not be in such a rush putting boot to leather when breaking from congestion which he does with ridiculous ease, just needs to be taught to settle when burning his opponents with pure speed before putting the ball to boot, that should be an easy lesson in an elite AFL system.

Game comments by Draft Central writers.

Vs Geelong Falcons
Josh Goater
Shifting from midfield to half-back, Goater was simply superb in a game which fully showcased his rare versatility. His clean hands have been evident within his midfield craft, but Goater transferred that same skill to be a reliable intercept marker in the backline. When in possession, he used the ball typically well by foot with precision passes and hardly wasted a touch. In motion, Goater leant on his athleticism with eye-catching turns of speed to weave through traffic and spark rebounding chains. He worked well with others too, starting one-two passages to move the ball down the field in style. The draft eligible talent did it all and was near-untouchable at times.

Vs the Bushies...
#25 Josh Goater

It’s well known that Goater boasts incredible athletic traits, and he is really beginning to show them more consistently with a move to half-back. The top 25 candidate has wickedly clean hands and reads the ball so well, which makes intercept marking look easy when combined with his spring-heeled leap. Goater rose well to cut off numerous Murray attacks among his 11 marks, while also kicking Calder into gear on the rebound. He generally used the ball well and began to back his speed in the final term with a couple of daring one-two passages in transition. With 28 disposals and eight rebound 50s, he showed plenty of quality and should rise on the back of his form.

Vs The Western Jets

#25 Josh Goater
The big body in Calder’s midfield, Goater played the distributor role perfectly at stoppages with his clean hands and strength in tight spots. He often got first hands to the ball and proved difficult to tackle, allowing for fluent ball movement to the outer where runners awaited. Goater is a terrific athlete and showed as much aerially with a spekky during the second term, but could perhaps better showcase his explosiveness at stoppages by pumping his legs instead of always dishing to the first option. Finishing with 28 touches, Goater was typically efficient with his ball use.

Vs Bendigo Pioneers
#25 Josh Goater
Goater was one of the bigger bodies in midfield, as per usual, and got to work by getting first hands on the ball at stoppages. His size and power proved difficult for the Bendigo midfielders to combat, as he slipped out of would-be tackles and was constantly able to get a disposal away. While some kicks were rushed, Goater was clean by hand and improved in that facet as the game wore on. His closing speed and pressure on the ball carrier were prominent during term three, before he was moved out onto the wing in the latter stages.

Vs Tassie Devils
#25 Josh Goater

Goater continued his strong start to the year with another good game against the Devils. He stood up around stoppages, as his tall frame was suited to the congested nature of the match. He was probably the best player on the ground in the first quarter; he was a point of difference in the midfield, weaved through stoppages and kicked a booming goal from outside 50. While the rest of his day did not match his performance in the first term, he still finished with 20 disposals, five inside 50s and three tackles.

Vs Eastern Ranges.
#25 Josh Goater

The incredibly talented Goater started the game in fine fashion, winning the opening clearance of the game. Despite not winning a heap of the ball in that first quarter, he kicked a very nice goal on the run to highlight his impact per possession, which would be a theme for the day for Goater. He was moved to the outside as the game went on and was able to showcase his nice evasion and ability to gain meterage with a nice bit of play in the last quarter; receiving at half-back and then going for a run, taking a few bounces and hitting up teammate Sam Paea on the lead at half-forward. Although he only finished with the 16 disposals and five inside 50s, his impact and dazzling plays couldn’t help but catch the eye.
Goater definitely does have technique issues. I'm surprised someone who watches a lot of kids come through can't see it.

Goater definitely does have technique issues. I'm surprised someone who watches a lot of kids come through can't see it.
That's your opinion, not one that i share and I think I've seen a little more of his football than most Adelaide supporters on this board.

I'm sure Callaghan is priority one but he isn't slipping past pick 2 or 3 unless we trade up so as much as we all want to trade back a club might not want to do that with us.

Is anyone concerned we that we don't end up with an elite midfield or midfielder after using picks 9, 16, 6, 2, 11, 4, in 4 years.

Not particularly at this point, but that's because it's way too early to be concerned, seeing we have almost no idea what our midfield group looks like in 4-5 years. We only really have a solid idea on who our KP structures are likely to be built around (Thilthorpe/Butts).

Schoenberg is well on the way to becoming a very good midfielder. Berry and Pedlar are intriguing prospects at a very young stage of their career, especially Pedlar due to his strength/explosive power profile. That's likely to be expanded on in this draft as the core inside prospects. Then there are wildcards. For one, do not sleep on Cook becoming a part of this equation in the next 3-4 years due to how much of a blank canvas he is, and the talent level he possesses. Jones is another due to that explosive acceleration. Milera could still be a pivotal piece in a midfield rotation, though that chance is slipping, Keays will be around for a while yet and is a solid defensive midfielder, and really, he just needs to clean up his kicking a tad (seriously, push that 49% KE to 54% and that probably does the trick) and he could reach the next level.

The outside midfield looks rather solid with Dawson/Sholl on the wings for hopefully a long, prosperous time, and McHenry floating as a mid/forward/professional pest. Parnell looks a player for the half back (seeing I'd argue half back is more apart of the outside midfield group than defense), though we will need another prospect here eventually.

You are going early on pedlar not making it as one and schoenberg has all the traits of ending up an extremely good one
Not going early on anything. That would be to say they are busts and definitely not saying that.
If we take rachele then there's a chance we have a good midfield but not necessarily elite.
To be elite currently all of Pedlar, Schoenberg, Berry and McHenry need to come on very strong.
My main concern for Pedlar is his body.

Well that depends on how desperate Richmond is for their guy, and how desperate we are for our guy.

Draft picks can be hard to gauge with value, even at the best of times. After all, talent orders would vary from club to club, and a player we might have at 8-9 on our list might be 3rd elsewhere.

Yes it would.

For about the millionth time, go back and check historical trades where teams have worked their way up the order and see what they’ve coughed up.

7 & 15 is definitely around the mark of what it would cost Richmond

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yes it would.

For about the millionth time, go back and check historical trades where teams have worked their way up the order and see what they’ve coughed up.

7 & 15 is definitely around the mark of what it would cost Richmond

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

if it were so obvious you’d be the one offering up all these examples

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will take Rachele but not at pick 4. Reckon we will trade with gws for their pick 2 and then likely trade it onto the highest bidder that I think will be Richmond. 2 and 33 for 7 and 15 is pretty fair. I reckon we will take Rachele at 7. Apparently we have already made enquiries with GWS about pick 2. I would be happy with Rachele and one of either Goater, Sonsie, Sinn. Freo should take a Western Australian at 6 so the only concerns would be who GC and Hawthorn take at their picks but they should go for Hobbs, Ward or Gibcus I would imagine.
No need to involve gws.

Tell freo we like Erasmus - trade 4-33 for 6-19 then swap 7-15 for 6-19 with Richmond

Not going early on anything. That would be to say they are busts and definitely not saying that.
If we take rachele then there's a chance we have a good midfield but not necessarily elite.
To be elite currently all of Pedlar, Schoenberg, Berry and McHenry need to come on very strong.
My main concern for Pedlar is his body.

Pedlar after a few preseasons and a few years of natural physical maturity will go along way with his body. I honestly feel he will be elite.

The other thing is, people forget that we are rebuilding and we have been hitting the draft hard but now we will target trades more... watch us throw the bank at an elite midfielder once Sloane calls time

Last edited:
I know its very rare to take a WA lad but I'm liking the highlights of Matthew Johnson.

He fits the type of midfielder we lack.

Anyone got any views?
The good part of his game kind of reminds me of Pendlebury but he also has some weaknesses where he doesn’t look to have much intensity / competitiveness but then again he had 9 and 10 tackles in his last 2 games so he’s a bit of enigma

very talented and that height is a bonus

Managed Callaghan, Roberts and Lukac in the annual BF Phantom. Did go against my order with Lukac at the end (could have taken Fejo) but was committed to taking 2 mids and a tall in the draft.

Goater is one guy out of the entire top 20 that I find the hardest to rank. He's got top 5 traits but also 15-20 traits. He's got a very nice upside but curious about how much of that upside he realises.
Can’t see us taking a player type of Roberts

agree re Goater ! Very hard to rate , could be anything or not much

The good part of his game kind of reminds me of Pendlebury but he also has some weaknesses where he doesn’t look to have much intensity / competitiveness but then again he had 9 and 10 tackles in his last 2 games so he’s a bit of enigma

very talented and that height is a bonus

I think intensity is fixable & Nicks has done well at driving this early into the kids we have today.

If we are looking at good midfielder this draft then Johnson could be one thats more than a high volume accumulator that burns the ball.

I think intensity is fixable & Nicks has done well at driving this early into the kids we have today.

If we are looking at good midfielder this draft then Johnson could be one thats more than a high volume accumulator that burns the ball.
Classy ball user for sure , one of the best in this draft

How would we feel about 4 and a future 3rd for 7, 26 and 28?

Presume we'd move 33 into a future year, but perhaps it's also 4 and 33 for 7, 26 and 28?

Maybe not quite enough for us, buts it's in the ballpark.

I can't see Fremantle putting 19 on the table.

6 and a future 2nd maybe - though I think they're out of future picks.

I can't see Fremantle putting 19 on the table.

6 and a future 2nd maybe - though I think they're out of future picks.
The way freo defended pick 19 in the clark trade, i agree with you as it is the 1st pick on night 2 of the draft (like we had last year but were denied the benefit due the AFL deciding to do the draft on the 1 night just when we were about to benefit)

What are the glaring issues that worry you so much. He has size, a great burst of speed, does not shirk from a contest and see options in a crowd.
He looks a nice player, just wondering?

Back