List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Picks part deux: 4/33/75

Pick4…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think what many (and including us) are forgetting is that you have to look at the draft/trade period as a whole, because the trade can impact on what draft picks you have (as ours did). Fremantle for instance look to have done great, but they also lost a gun young mid. It balances out a bit.

For us, we picked up an elite player who can win games, a proven tall midfielder/wing with an elite kick, a hard working mid that our recruiters all rated highly, and an agile and elusive small forward who can also play midfield.

On the whole, it's a pretty good outcome and I doubt many have done better.

You don't get big body elite mids late in the draft..... they got the top 3 picks... and s**t big body mids often turn into busts... there was 2 elite ones this draft... they went top 2

Rowe has far more midfield craft than Murphy
Not sure on that Shorty, Murphy played midfield almost exclusively for the Northern Knights and was a standout playing midfield winning the Knights M.V.P. the year he came over to try out for our SANFL team. Just had no opportunities in that role when we played him as a small defender and then switched him to the small forward role. Every time he's had a squirt in the midfield this year he's proven he can get his mitts on the ball and his clearances were very clean.

I think what many (and including us) are forgetting is that you have to look at the draft/trade period as a whole, because the trade can impact on what draft picks you have (as ours did). Fremantle for instance look to have done great, but they also lost a gun young mid. It balances out a bit.

For us, we picked up an elite player who can win games, a proven tall midfielder/wing with an elite kick, a hard working mid that our recruiters all rated highly, and an agile and elusive small forward who can also play midfield.

Definitely agree. I felt pretty underwhelmed last night purely from the perspective of list balance. This morning I feel satisfied that we just took whoever we rated highest. After taking into account the other players we brought in this season - and hopefully some more diverse sized rookie options - it would seem my list balance perspective may have been a touch OTT.

TBH I expected bigger melts from this board. Even those who melted at the rachele pick seem to have simmered down quite quickly. Maybe it'll be the rookie draft that ends up triggering us most...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For sure. There's a reason teams end up having multiple first round picks. It looks good on paper to say you added two top 10 picks or whatever, but people then expect that to turn into an instant spike, which isn't always the case. It'll almost be the opposite given they lost Cerra to get one of those picks.

Long term it could be huge for the Dockers if they turn out to be stars, but I still wouldn't say they're a lock for top 8 next season.

Yeah, will be interesting to see who Haggis is thinking of that is still on the board for the rookie draft. Only player I have heard we had interest in is Nankervis.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I've heard this end we have shown some interest in half back/mid Sam Breuer, father Shayne was a very good footballer for the Cats and Port.

Shayne was a SA lad coming through the WWT system

Just watched the Ned Long highlights on YouTube. That was enough for me to say ‘No’ . A little awkward in kicking style but he is a lumpy lad with no pace or turn of speed .
Lumpy!! Great term, but are you looking for a Finn Callaghan at Rookie level?!! We have speed(especially now), but what Long offers is strength, height(192cm), high- level endurance, great tackling ability & proven goal-kicking ability. Also, like the 3 lads just drafted, he has footy smarts. He will be snapped up today I expect.

So what big bodied mids did people who are complaining want to take instead of Soligo and Taylor?

Would like to hear from the experts here, so we pick a big bodied mid just because they are there when we rate them lower than the players we have taken. We could still get a big bodied mid next year. The rebuild is not just happening from this draft
Would have taken Taylor as I think he’s a Jet

would have taken a bit more of a high upside project in Howes at our second pick 190cm athletic package with upside

Would have been a nice balance for us

He has, but we hope these mids we recruited end up better than Murphy.
Of course. The point remains that Murphy does have that midfield string to his bow, so they need to force him out on merit - not just on structural flexibility.

As for whether or not they'll turn out to be better than him - only time will tell. We hope so, but for now, Murphy's position is relatively secure.

Back