List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Picks part deux: 4/33/75

Pick4…

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It won't make or brake anything but I am a bit underwhelmed with redrafting Davis. I think the time was right to cut him loose as there would have to be others players worth a go.

Obviously they rate him as a good club man but to be honest once people start using that as a reason they don't rate your football.

Wow that's a quality melt
Thank you. It's just that I would like to see us take every possible opportunity to uncover a future Premiership player.

In 2018 we selected Jordan Butts as our 3rd choice at pick 39 in the Rookie Draft. He's now our leading KPD and very likely a 200+ gamer. It we hadn't delisted both F/S Ben Jarman and Jackson Edwards because we felt we owed their fathers one (plus a swag of ageing primary list players including Dear and Cheney who we could have potentially re-selected as rookies) that wouldn't have happened.

I cannot for the life of me understand why they would want to re-draft Davis. Sure, he's a nice guy - but his football leaves a lot to be desired. I can understand clubs doing it for players like Polec, who still has years to run on his contract - but Davis was out of contract, and we were free & clear. Talk about a dog eating its own vomit.

It really says a lot about how little talent they saw in the rest of the draft pool that they would go back to the same dry well. They couldn't even find anyone they wanted to look at during the PSSP?

I guess that makes for one easy delisting in 2022...

I cannot for the life of me understand why they would want to re-draft Davis. Sure, he's a nice guy - but his football leaves a lot to be desired. I can understand clubs doing it for players like Polec, who still has years to run on his contract - but Davis was out of contract, and we were free & clear. Talk about a dog eating its own vomit.

It really says a lot about how little talent they saw in the rest of the draft pool that they would go back to the same dry well. They couldn't even find anyone they wanted to look at during the PSSP?

A pick made by the PR department.

Showed something toward the end of season playing in defence, that's why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It tells you all we need to know on how highly we rate Davis, and why this re-rooking is a complete waste of time. It also tells you how incompetent of a call it was to give Davis a chance in round 20 of last year.
Nah it doesn't the counter argument it says he's rated given he keeps getting a contract. Look at how we've managed him:

1st game after having his contract extended is against Geelong at Geelong where we always get pumped. Doesn't get another game.
Is talked up during the 2020 preseason, plays first game against at Sydney and despite getting coaches votes doesn't get another game in 2020.

Then we change his position and he gets a couple of late games and looks ok, contract is extended.

So either Reid and Ogilvie re-rookie him without consulting the coaches or they rate him enough to give him a full year in that position.

Draft prospect: Ben Davis
https://www.afl.com.au/video/164234/broadcast-guide-premiership

You are all fresh from Draft Footage so what about this guy ?

the hardon this club has for Ben Davis is absolutely bemusing. mediocre sanfl player

Is this the best highlights of someone not drafted? Crazy amount of talent. Must have had some desire issues or something?

not good enough to play league with us hilariously. got a senior game, showed a bit, back to the ressies. Bizarre

This is the best talent not on a list I think

If he was 185cm I reckon he would be
Spoke with his family over the past couple of days they were very hopeful
The dumb thing is I forgot I knew at least one member
Without doing a Randall and this is my personal opinion he has comfort in SA so maybe hard to move outside
I think he should keep up the dream and work his butt off
Rowes dream came true

I don’t think he’s as bad as people think either

he’s improving , his last 2 games at AFL level showed a bit

Billy and Ben are the 2 weak links on the list however , not as many weak links as 2 years ago
I can't think of too many players who have played less then 10 games at age 24 without any long term injuries that have come on and made a decent career of it, unless they were a KPD or ruck.

He may buck the trend, but I can't see it.

I love Ben Davis as a person, he's certainly a character and everyone at the club loves the guy, I'm just unsure of his footballing ability.
He's never really been given a chance at AFL level only a game here and there. Perhaps with our young list we're happy enough and he's happy enough to continue to play SANFL for us and be a mentor in standards when it comes to training etc.

I'm ok with us taking him I just think why did we bother delisting him in the first place. I got excited for a new toy and then we just were like yeah nah we changed our minds
Sure… the lad seems well liked and highly regarded around the club.. so give him a job as the waterboy then..

giving him yet another year on the list after playing 3 games in half a decade is utterly ridiculous.

that spot wouldve been better spent on a young lad like Fejo.. who looks an exciting prospect.. but no, the conservative risk-averse nature of the AFC strikes again.

Hamish and Reid have done an alright job in the last few years.. but it might be time for some fresh pairs of eyes.. a different approach from next year onward. Build on what HO has created.

Nah it doesn't the counter argument it says he's rated given he keeps getting a contract. Look at how we've managed him:

1st game after having his contract extended is against Geelong at Geelong where we always get pumped. Doesn't get another game.
Is talked up during the 2020 preseason, plays first game against at Sydney and despite getting coaches votes doesn't get another game in 2020.

Then we change his position and he gets a couple of late games and looks ok, contract is extended.

So either Reid and Ogilvie re-rookie him without consulting the coaches or they rate him enough to give him a full year in that position.

A contract in 2019 is fine. He's broken through and is only three years in. Even 2020 is ok at a pinch, especially with how many list changes we've gone through. 2021 however is where you've just got to make a call, as we've reached the 5-year mark (the absolute utmost you should ever give to a potential prospect). You've gone four and a half years with a player and you've only decided to play him twice, as a coaching group you've shown that you don't really rate what he brings compared to others on the list. It's the time to just put a line through Davis, let him play out the rest of the year in the SANFL and move on.

This is a *up from Nicks, Kelly not committing to an obvious call, to Reid, Ogilvie and whoever else had their hands on this not pulling them up on it and telling them it's time to move on. Instead, we're wasting our time for another year with a lad who has no hope whatsoever of being a contributor to our best 22.

I don't understand why people are upset about Davis getting another shot.

The club pretty much said that they were planning to redraft him back in October when he was delisted.

At the end of the day we've got the youngest list in the AFL by a mile so if the club feels that Davis still has something to offer, even if it's from an indigenous leadership point of view, then it's not really going to a have a huge impact on our list.

It's not like we've blown a valuable draft pick on him.

Back