• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
If I was trying to coach to limit a Lockett in todays game, I would have my biggest and strongest defender on him to try and keep body contact and prevent him from getting out in the clear, that way the 3rd man interceptor can come in over the top...if he leads he will get the ball if delivery is good - no player could stop him. If you play one out and cant get intercept help, Lockett will beat you 95 times out of 100 in strength
All that and more was tried on Lockett, Dunstall and Gaz Sr by some very crafty coaches that would put most of the modern day coaches in the shade....it rarely worked. They were out and out Champions

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
All that and more was tried on Lockett, Dunstall and Gaz Sr by some very crafty coaches that would put most of the modern day coaches in the shade....it rarely worked. They were out and out Champions
Defenders would be trying to hang onto jumpers, SOS would almost be like a jockey riding them.
Rocket Maynard held Pluggers jumper for 10 seconds before being told if he did it again it would be goodnight.
Such a different era.

1638427937395.png
1638427954630.png
1638427967380.png
1638427987475.png

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
One of the Hard Quiz contestants last night had "Don Bradman" as his specialty subject.

At age 70 (in 1978), he played a game of backyard cricket against one of the (then) current Australian fast bowlers. Cricket ball, no pads, no helmet, sending the bowler all around the park. The bowler said it was the greatest 2 hour batting demonstration he'd ever seen.

The bowler's name? Jeff Thomson.

If the Don was capable of doing that at age 70, I doubt he would have had any trouble at all playing against current bowling attacks. Given that he was used to playing on uncovered pitches, I think he would have averaged 150+ playing under today's conditions.

I have heard Thommo talk on this, he only bowled leg spinners that day as he was scared what the papers would say if he hurt Bradman but the two sons of the persons house that he was at that day were both grade cricketers who bowled, full tilt and Bradman had no protection and still carted them

Former lightning fast bowler Jeff Thomson says the most outstanding batsman he bowled to was not Viv Richards, Greg Chappell or David Gower, but a 70-year-old Don Bradman.

The 64-year-old wasn’t even born when Bradman played the last of his 52 Tests on the Invincibles tour of England in 1948.

But Thomson says The Don hadn’t lost any of his touch when he faced him in a backyard game in Adelaide in 1978 on a rest day during a Test against India.

“I thought this won’t take long – this little old guy with glasses,’’ Thomson told News Limited.

“I thought I had just better bowl my legspinners as it wouldn’t look too good in the newspaper if I killed Don Bradman in a game of backyard cricket.

“Bradman had nothing but a bat ... no protector, no pads or anything on a green turf wicket.

“I thought ‘Good luck old man you will be dead shortly’.”

But Bradman had other ideas, fearless against arguably Australia’s fastest ever bowler.

“He just belted the first ball and I thought ‘Hmm that wasn’t a bad shot, it must have been luck’,’’ said Thomson.

“I bowled one more ball and then sat aside and watched this guy for 20 minutes flog two young bowlers.

“If you had Greg Chappell, Viv Richards or Ian Chappell in there they would have been backing away because they had no protective gear.

“But Bradman just backed himself to hit everything and I was gobsmacked.’’

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're kidding yourself if you don't think that defensive strategy has gotten way better resulting in goals drying up for good leading forwards. Fitness has also played a big part allowing midfielders to clog space easier.

'but plugger would just scare everyone' also doesn't make sense. He would be deterred from leading into a congested area in the first place and the player with the ball would also hesitate kicking straight to opposition players on the premise that plugger will clean them up. Not to mention he wouldn't get away with charging players.

No one is kicking those numbers as the game currently stands.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
You're kidding yourself if you don't think that defensive strategy has gotten way better resulting in goals drying up for good leading forwards. Fitness has also played a big part allowing midfielders to clog space easier.

'but plugger would just scare everyone' also doesn't make sense. He would be deterred from leading into a congested area in the first place and the player with the ball would also hesitate kicking straight to opposition players on the premise that plugger will clean them up. Not to mention he wouldn't get away with charging players.

No one is kicking those numbers as the game currently stands.
Not found Yeo completely different sport

not to say those champions couldnt Have adapted they would have, but it would be different

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
One of the Hard Quiz contestants last night had "Don Bradman" as his specialty subject.

At age 70 (in 1978), he played a game of backyard cricket against one of the (then) current Australian fast bowlers. Cricket ball, no pads, no helmet, sending the bowler all around the park. The bowler said it was the greatest 2 hour batting demonstration he'd ever seen.

The bowler's name? Jeff Thomson.

If the Don was capable of doing that at age 70, I doubt he would have had any trouble at all playing against current bowling attacks. Given that he was used to playing on uncovered pitches, I think he would have averaged 150+ playing under today's conditions.

not to mention the back foot no ball rule

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m not asking a question.

I’m just reporting the exact words from the inner sanctum of our recruiting team.
The main club that uses the champion data stuff to a massive degree is north melbourne with Glenn Luff the former CD guy . Showed up in the recruiting of Phillips

if everyone else was just mainly using champion data the draft would be very similar to the Fox lab rankings

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The main club that uses the champion data stuff to a massive degree is north melbourne with Glenn Luff the former CD guy . Showed up in the recruiting of Phillips

if everyone else was just mainly using champion data the draft would be very similar to the Fox lab rankings

Look you can keep waffling on if you like, but it won’t change anything.

i’m not asking a question. I can’t make this any clearer, but you are wrong.

Champion data sells very expensive, not available to the public, data on prospective draftees. this data is influential, and it has been explained from within the inner sanctum of our recruiting team that this is the big reason why amateur draft watchers differ from real recruiters.

they don’t have access to the same data.

this is not a question!

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Look you can keep waffling on if you like, but it won’t change anything.

i’m not asking a question. I can’t make this any clearer, but you are wrong.

Champion data sells very expensive, not available to the public, data on prospective draftees. this data is influential, and it has been explained from within the inner sanctum of our recruiting team that this is the big reason why amateur draft watchers differ from real recruiters.

they don’t have access to the same data.

this is not a question!
It’s a factor but not more important than interviews , psych tests , background research etc

I’d love to know what Ned Mchenry stats were that got him drafted 1st round for example …. I’d say it was his interviews , personality , psych tests , attitude and competitiveness that came out through talking to him

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It’s a factor but not more important than interviews , psych tests , background research etc

I’d love to know what Ned Mchenry stats were that got him drafted 1st round for example …. I’d say it was his interviews , personality , psych tests , attitude and competitiveness that came out through talking to him

FFS.

take it up with Volbeats source, he’s the one stating these incontrovertible facts.

disagree all you like, being wrong is your choice

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
FFS.

take it up with Volbeats source, he’s the one stating these incontrovertible facts.

disagree all you like, being wrong is your choice
It’s amazing they’d all contract Psychologists and spend hours doing background checks and driving to all corners of the country to interview kids in their family homes when all they needed to do was get the champion data stats haha

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s because they are undeniable facts , I know about the amount of time they spend on this stuff and I’ve spoken to recruiters about why they rate a certain player or don’t when it’s surprised me and this is what they’ve told me is the reason ( not always but quite often)

take it or leave it , I don’t care anymore

Back