List Mgmt. 2021 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you want to do that? The Dogs 2nd round pick next year will likely be in the mid 30s
We have to many picks this year. If we get a pic for Chol then that would still leave us with five in total. More than enough. I’d be happy if we could move a pic to next year.

I think there is a case for really chasing pick 2 to get a more known quantity, likewise pick 7 because we should be focusing on the now and short to mid term where more speculative options may compromise our other objectives.

Geelong might want to take a punt though and offer up there 2022 first rounder for later picks this year

You'd hope a couple of the kids are ready to go for next season.

While you draft for the future port / swans etc. Have shown kids can have a crack straight away.

Tigers window still open

I wouldnt be in a major rush to trade these later picks to be honest

We seen last year that clubs were in a position at picks in the late 30's or 40's where a player they liked was available but they didnt have a pick so traded their future picks to grab that player.

Carlton may trade their picks #6 + #25 for Cerra and see a player they rated still available at pick #40 and decide to trade 2022 2nd rounder for our #40
we then have a pick like #28 in 2022 etc.

We could end up with 38,39,40,44 and possibly move them into 2022 ending up with 3 more 2nd round picks ending up with a strong hand in 2022
Richmond have great flexibility with our hand this year

Only possible downside to this, keeping the picks for live trading is that teams will know if we take 8 picks to the draft but only have 4 list spots that if we cant trade them then they will just be wasted so a bit more bargaining power to the oppo clubs knowing we need to trade or we'll lose them.

Chol or CCJ picks deferred until next year. Once last track at our 'last dance' with Dusty and Lynch/Prestia et al and then trade a valuable player at the end of next year to ensure we get loaded with the most draft points again. ;). Trade whoever is in their peak and won't be in our next flag (out of the below cohort just one or two of them) and farm some picks while we sail down the ladder for a few years. Want to keep it to three years not 5-7 years in the next rebuild which if we do the above and keep drafting we will pull it off. Then load up on Free Agents. Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 1.30.10 pm.png

Only possible downside to this, keeping the picks for live trading is that teams will know if we take 8 picks to the draft but only have 4 list spots that if we cant trade them then they will just be wasted so a bit more bargaining power to the oppo clubs knowing we need to trade or we'll lose them.
They will be falling over themselves when they have no picks left to draft
Port , Carlton , Freo , North , Hawks , Pies all need picks to draft players and big gaps between their 1st and next picks

They will be falling over themselves when they have no picks left to draft
Port , Carlton , Freo , North , Hawks , Pies all need picks to draft players and big gaps between their 1st and next picks

Trading could be really interesting this year. Lots of clubs in a pick pickle. So we might be able to swing a few tasty deal for picks. I'd love to keep our strong 2021 hand and get a 2nd or 2 next year. If we could get a 1st I'd be delighted, but don't expect that.

Trading could be really interesting this year. Lots of clubs in a pick pickle. So we might be able to swing a few tasty deal for picks. I'd love to keep our strong 2021 hand and get a 2nd or 2 next year. If we could get a 1st I'd be delighted, but don't expect that.

Τhis

I'm wondering if now with Chol-man-Jones leaving we target Jye Amiss with our first pick? Besides the untouchable Darcy seems to be the top KPF prospect. I'm torn between the need of a JR replacement or a top line midfielder that can come in for immediate impact next year. Perhaps with some recruiters saying there is an evenness from 5-20 we can pick up both Amiss and a ready to go midfielder with 15.

I'm wondering if now with Chol-man-Jones leaving we target Jye Amiss with our first pick? Besides the untouchable Darcy seems to be the top KPF prospect. I'm torn between the need of a JR replacement or a top line midfielder that can come in for immediate impact next year. Perhaps with some recruiters saying there is an evenness from 5-20 we can pick up both Amiss and a ready to go midfielder with 15.
Im more a fan of Van Rooyen with our Pick #15 and Bazzo with #26
my dream scenario
7.Erasmus
15. Van Rooyen
17. Goater (doggies pick)
26. Bazzo
28. Ned Long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Van Rooyen might slide to the 20s picks?
Thats what the phantom drafts are predicting but personally i dont think he will
he kicked 4.4 on the weekend and looks to be a real talent and perfect for our needs

Im seeing alot of Oscar Allen type traits and would hate to miss him for the sake of trying to get him with #26
Mids can be had later

Bulldogs will trade 17 for whatever maximises their points.
We are in a position to offer 28, 40 & 44. Otherwise we'd probably be trading those picks into future picks.
Gold Coast could outbid us and offer 22, 43, 55 if they only plan on using 3 draft picks.
However, trades will change everyone's draft hands anyway.
That bid actually does not out bid us, The magic number to cover pick 17 with two picks is 1025. At the end of covering pick 17 with our lot they would have pick 40 left. 28 = 677 + 44 362 total 1039 PICK 40 FOR THE DOGS TO USE IN THE DRAFT. With gold coast they would have pick 43 left 22 = 845 + 50 = 207 total 1052. Pick 43 left for the dogs to use in the draft.

Im not sure GCS would be overly keen to lose picks for just a 5 spot promotion as well.
Also we could offer up the chol compensation, I'm assuming end of second round which will be around pick 39. or the CC-J TRADE #38 we wont get more, for dogs future second round pick, that would well and truly get the dogs back into this years draft with possibly pick 39 and 40.

Imo we are in the box seat if we truly want their pick 17.

God i want that Dogs pick. Three first rounders would be a huge haul for us

Dude dont get so hung up about that we have pick #26
forget about which round it is and just think its only 8-9 spots later and we have another 1 just 2 spots after that

We will have 4 inside 30 ;)

If we end up trading say CCJ for Tarrant and 38, and end up with 39 for Chol compo, would we be better off trading 38, 39, 40, 44 for Dogs 17/18? Ends up around 1702 points and I don't see us taking more than 5 players in the main draft.
Why not? we have 8 players uncontracted Retired or delisted. We will also have after compo and ccj trade 8 picks ranging from 7 to 44.We are in a position to Target both best available and take care of serious long term list needs with what is in anyones language very good picks.

I can see us looking to off load a player or two to enable us to use all those picks and take a couple of mature players including Tarrant.

This is where those in the footy department earn their money.

If we end up trading say CCJ for Tarrant and 38, and end up with 39 for Chol compo, would we be better off trading 38, 39, 40, 44 for Dogs 17/18? Ends up around 1702 points and I don't see us taking more than 5 players in the main draft.
We can simply do very similar by offering the dogs 28, 40 and 44 with the dogs able to use pick 40 in the draft.With your scenario they could end up useing pick 38 in the draft.

Yeah we either keep 28 or we keep 38 and 39. With 7, 15, 17, 26 we should have what we need id rather the two later picks at 38 39 and target a player like Schlensog or use it to trade in for arguments sake say a bloke like Wallis not my choice but i use him for the debate than pick 28 by itself. It just gives more options later in the draft and for what is a fairly even draft after the top 15 or so it makes sense.

Years a go, in 2004, we had a draft haul that was meant to set us up for an era of unprecedented success - Picks 1 (Deledio), 4 (Tambling), 12 (Myer), 16 (Pattison) and 20 (Polo). I remember being so excited, so hopeful. Out of that draft, only Lids carved out a successful career for us.

If we get a draft haul of 7, 17, 20 and 26, that would be as close to our 2004 draft haul as I can remember. Unlike that draft though, this time we will have the recruitment staff identify players and choose them, the development system to train and improve them and the club culture to challenge and mould them.

We really are such a fundamentally different club in every way and with a collection of picks like that, this one year dip down the ladder, could set us up for another decade of success to come.

Last edited:
Year a go, we had a draft haul that was meant to set us p for an era of unprecedented success - Picks 1 (Deledio), 4 (Tambling), 12 (Myer), 16 (Pattison) and 20 (Polo). I remember being so excited, so hopeful. Out of that draft, only Lids carved out a successful career for us.

If we get a draft haul of 7, 17, 20 and 26, that would be as close to our 2004 draft haul as I can remember. Unlike that draft though, this time we will have the recruitment staff identify players and choose them, the development system to train and improve them and the club culture to challenge and mould them.

We really are such a fundamentally different club in every way and with a collection of picks like that, this one year dip down the ladder, could set us up for another decade of success to come.

No doubt we have improved immeasurably (hang on, that's not right, we have improved by three flags) and obviously, our drafting has massively improved post Francis & co (I realize he wasn't in control in 04') - but the reality is the AFL has just changed so much in this time as well. No side could squander a draft in this day and age like we did at the time. The recruiting teams are too organized, well resourced, human-focused and data-rich, and this coordination is across the board. Some teams are better than others obviously, but largely howlers are less and less.

Our development though as you point out has really come on, both as a comparison to ourselves but also relative to the rest of the AFL. We now develop talent very well, and this is not to say we can't get better, but our culture in combination with our people selection (players and staff) is setting us up for sustained success.

The human capital at Richmond at the moment is incredible, and probably the best it has ever been.

I hope this period for the RFC sets us up for the next 100 years in all facets of the club; on-field success, culture, financial and desire to fly the flag from players and fans alike.

Last edited:
No doubt we have improved immeasurably (hang on, that's not right, we have improved by three flags) and obviously, our drafting has massively improved post Francis & co (I realize he wasn't in control in 04') - but the reality is the AFL has just changed so much in this time as well. No side could squander a draft in this day and age like we did at the time. The teams are too organized, well resourced, human-focused and data-rich, and this coordination is across the board. Some teams are better than others obviously, but largely howlers are less and less.

Our development though as you point out has really come on, both as a comparative to ourselves and relative to the rest of the AFL. We now develop talent very well, and this is not to say we can't get better, but our culture in combination with our people selection (players and staff) is setting us up for sustained success.

The human capital at Richmond at the moment is incredible, and probably the best it has ever been.

I hope this period for the RFC sets us up for the next 100 years in all facets of the club; on-field success, culture, financial and desire to fly the flag from players and fans alike.
Exactly. Light years of difference between then and now, and the new system is a key part of where we are now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back