List Mgmt. 2021 draft pool.

Father/Son or have we missed the boat?

Maybe if he gets over looked in the mid-season draft...

Missed the boat. Was at the club in 2018 as part of the VFL squad but never quite got a good run playing 1 game late in the year gathering 22 disposals and then being left out.

Missed the boat. Was at the club in 2018 as part of the VFL squad but never quite got a good run playing 1 game late in the year gathering 22 disposals and then being left out.
I suppose we could convince him to nominate for the F/S again at the end of the year but a team might convince him otherwise if they promise him game time or a more direct line to the starting 22.

There will be plenty talent in the top 50 this year at the draft, Our club has done a magnificent job in trading into it to get some new top end talent to replace some of our champions.

Now lets just win the 3rd leg of the 3peat and clean up at the draft
I just hope we dont trade them away for players.

Why? Imagine if we could get our hands on a couple of gun young mids like Adam Cerra and Tom Green. Would rejuvenate our ageing and injury prone midfield.

Isn't that what the hawks tried with O'Meara, Mitchell and Wingard? Where has it got them?

Drafting may be taking the long road but it beats over paying players to get them to move and having a hamstrung salary cap.

I suppose we could convince him to nominate for the F/S again at the end of the year but a team might convince him otherwise if they promise him game time or a more direct line to the starting 22.
IIRC F/S is only in the first year of eligibility for the draft. If they are overlooked then it's first in best dressed

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Isn't that what the hawks tried with O'Meara, Mitchell and Wingard? Where has it got them?

Drafting may be taking the long road but it beats over paying players to get them to move and having a hamstrung salary cap.

Did hawthorn have players to build around like vlastuin. Lynch. Dusty?

They seemed to be losing them franklin Rioli hodge mitchell etc

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I just hope we dont trade them away for players.
Im not going to be able to get to any junior games this year due to personal reasons but will be keeping track of them on various sites as well as here and there seems to be some really high end talent.

I have already got 1 kid thats looking like my favourite thats looks to be a late 1st early 2nd round pick that might be worth keeping an eye on
Ned Long

Bird Man

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
how good is this draft pool? like should we consider diving in to
Im not going to be able to get to any junior games this year due to personal reasons but will be keeping track of them on various sites as well as here and there seems to be some really high end talent.

I have already got 1 kid thats looking like my favourite thats looks to be a late 1st early 2nd round pick that might be worth keeping an eye on
Ned Long
are there any top ten players you would take a risk on to get into the top 10 picks ?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
how good is this draft pool? like should we consider diving in to

are there any top ten players you would take a risk on to get into the top 10 picks ?
Jacob Vanrooyen is the only player that we can reach by trading picks down to get from what i have read

Cant see whats touted as top 5 being let go by teams that have these picks , Vanrooyen is a KPF that looks like the best KF available
5 picks inside 30 with 3 picks inside 20 is what we should be aiming for.

Too bad there are no father sons that look to be top 10 apart from daicos as we would have the later picks to satisfy the club that would be looking to trade out a 1st rounder. Only Tex Wanganeen & Jase Burgoyne but they are looking like 2nd/3rd round picks. Unless they bolt up the charts then maybe Port look at trading their 1st

Bird Man

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Jacob Vanrooyen is the only player that we can reach by trading picks down to get from what i have read

Cant see whats touted as top 5 being let go by teams that have these picks , Vanrooyen is a KPF that looks like the best KF available
5 picks inside 30 with 3 picks inside 20 is what we should be aiming for.

Too bad there are no father sons that look to be top 10 apart from daicos as we would have the later picks to satisfy the club that would be looking to trade out a 1st rounder. Only Tex Wanganeen & Jase Burgoyne but they are looking like 2nd/3rd round picks. Unless they bolt up the charts then maybe Port look at trading their 1st

Vanrooyen would you trade a first team player and our first rounder to get him ? I guess more of the question is .. is there a player that would be worth throwing the kitchen sink at ?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Vanrooyen would you trade a first team player and our first rounder to get him ? I guess more of the question is .. is there a player that would be worth throwing the kitchen sink at ?
Thats a difficult question as Vanrooyen is a kid and likely to go between 5-10 which means we would need a team to trade for a pick in that range
I would be looking at a club like St Kilda if they would have an interest in trading their 1st rounder for our 1st & 2nd rounder but its difficult as we dont really know what these kids will do in the coming months and where we will finish.

Would be great if Cats miss the finals

smurfin

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
Central Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Looking at possible pick trades that could be win-win. Teams that may want to downgrade while we presumably want to upgrade as much as possible into the early draft:

Port & Bulldogs have bugger all after their first round pick. Very likely late first round picks. They could be interested in splitting for 2 second round picks if that interests us? Even as a stepping stone for us to get into the really early picks?
Or otherwise, they may be interested in grabbing say our early third round picks for future second round picks.

Fremantle, Sydney & Carlton all have a (likely decent) first round pick, a second round pick then bugger all. This is where we are most likely to trade a late first and a second rounder for a top 10 pick if we want to.
Saints similar, they have a first round pick but no second round pick. They may give up their likely high pick for a couple of mid-late first round and early second round picks?

Melbourne, Collingwood & Geelong have no first round picks. Even if Collingwood need points for Daicos, their first pick is not of interest to us (currently 37).
We are most likely to sit back and laugh at their s**t draft hands than deal with any of them.
However, they may be our competition in trying to bundle second and third round picks to get higher up the draft. This is why I feel we are more likely to trade our third rounders for futures if we don't need them.

All other clubs have pretty decent balanced draft hands and are unlikely to want to deal with their first round picks.
Of course this changes once trades start happening.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I think what's so hard to strategize is because we have several picks that can fluctuate so much with multiple clubs involved, it will significantly change the strategy.

12, 15, 22, 31 is a hell of a different plan to 20, 21, 30 and 40 or if we all bomb then the picks are even better.

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
I think what's so hard to strategize is because we have several picks that can fluctuate so much with multiple clubs involved, it will significantly change the strategy.

12, 15, 22, 31 is a hell of a different plan to 20, 21, 30 and 40 or if we all bomb then the picks are even better.
Yeah exactly, impossible to tell this far out.

Would like think we're looking to explore a deal with GWS that swaps our highest first round pick, highest second round pick and both 3rd round picks for their highest first round pick and 3rd round pick.

Say 15, 31 45 & 49 for 5 & 42.

Would still give us 2 first round picks, a second and a third. 4 picks inside the top 50 would be a nice little refresh of the list.

Would like think we're looking to explore a deal with GWS that swaps our highest first round pick, highest second round pick and both 3rd round picks for their highest first round pick and 3rd round pick.

Say 15, 31 45 & 49 for 5 & 42.

Would still give us 2 first round picks, a second and a third. 4 picks inside the top 50 would be a nice little refresh of the list.

But why would GWS do that? I can't see it.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Melbourne, Collingwood & Geelong have no first round picks. Even if Collingwood need points for Daicos, their first pick is not of interest to us (currently 37).
We are most likely to sit back and laugh at their sh*t draft hands than deal with any of them.

However, they may be our competition in trying to bundle second and third round picks to get higher up the draft. This is why I feel we are more likely to trade our third rounders for futures if we don't need them.

I wouldnt say that

Pies will be desperate for points if Daicos is bid on with #1 / #2 / #3 as they also have their academy kid Dib who is also looking like a decent prospect
I can easily see Collingwood/Richmond trade

Richmond's 2021 2nd round pick +Richmonds 2021 3rd round pick + Richmond 2022 1st round pick for the Pies 2022 1st round pick

This gives the pies enough points to get Dib and meet the required points for Daicos and still remain in the 1st round in 2022
kind of like the stocker trade Carlton/Crows did

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
Have seen very little of the kids from this years draft so far but did like what I saw from Gibcus. Athletic intercept marking type which is basically the prototypical defender these days and also a position where we need to improve our depth with up coming retirements over the next 3-4 years.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Have seen very little of the kids from this years draft so far but did like what I saw from Gibcus. Athletic intercept marking type which is basically the prototypical defender these days and also a position where we need to improve our depth with up coming retirements over the next 3-4 years.
He is definitely one that's seems to be flying up the rankings along with Ned Long, Jack Williams and Neil Erasmus

Tygrys

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
Why? Imagine if we could get our hands on a couple of gun young mids like Adam Cerra and Tom Green. Would rejuvenate our ageing and injury prone midfield.

The problem is to get either their clubs would be wanting both our first rounders or alternatively in the case of Fremantle Shai Bolton (which incidentally is the only way you could get both and which is kind of self-defeating).

You’d do that for a Ben king, but not for a midfielder when this draft supposedly overflowing with midfield talent. I really hope we go hard in this draft and embrace the opportunity for a major rejuvenation.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
I wouldnt say that

Pies will be desperate for points if Daicos is bid on with #1 / #2 / #3 as they also have their academy kid Dib who is also looking like a decent prospect
I can easily see Collingwood/Richmond trade

Richmond's 2021 2nd round pick +Richmonds 2021 3rd round pick + Richmond 2022 1st round pick for the Pies 2022 1st round pick

This gives the pies enough points to get Dib and meet the required points for Daicos and still remain in the 1st round in 2022
kind of like the stocker trade Carlton/Crows did

That’s a shocking deal for us. We give up a 2nd and a 3rd in a strong draft for a slight pick upgrade in 2022.

Back