List Mgmt. 2021 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

the trouble with that is that the dogs can only use as many picks as list spots they have. ie, if they only have 3 spots they can only use 3 picks. so we can't simply throw a sh*t ton of low picks at them. a second rounder might be needed to ensure it has value for them, because if it doesnt they'll go elsewhere. so we might have to lose one in the 20s instead and use one in the 30s/40s ourselves. even with ccj going we only have 3 spots to use anyway.
I think the dogs will have quite a few list spots. They have a few blokes leaving and a couple of rookies to elevate (which can be done after the national draft).

the trouble with that is that the dogs can only use as many picks as list spots they have. ie, if they only have 3 spots they can only use 3 picks. so we can't simply throw a sh*t ton of low picks at them. a second rounder might be needed to ensure it has value for them, because if it doesnt they'll go elsewhere. so we might have to lose one in the 20s instead and use one in the 30s/40s ourselves. even with ccj going we only have 3 spots to use anyway.
Dogs only have 17 + 74 and they wont use 74 so if they trade in our 3 picks then they'll use 1 for Darcy and only have to find 2 other spots, one is covered by Lipinski going and I haven't looked but I'm sure that there's at least 2 others gone.

We've cut CCJ, Chol, Naish, Houli & Astbury with only Tarrant coming in, so that's 4 spots so far, Garth and Caddy might be gone as well as Egg off the rookie list (which won't affect our main list spots before the draft) That's possibly 6 spots for us to fill. My hope is that we take:

7-15-17-26-28 to the draft

I think we should bring in 5 new players through the draft too but, jee-wizz, you have to feel for our recent draftees who have not had the time and support to develop through the VFL and through coaching as our previous players. These early picks we bring in, will automatically begin at almost level pegging with the existing/relatively unsighted young players.

It is the cut throat business of managing a list and building a successful team, but I still can't help but feel for them....

...still excited by the prospect of bringing our best group of talent in almost a decade though :whistle::roflv1:

I'm not certain we desperately need to trade up into the draft as much as we feel we do. We could pick up a huge amount of talent with our picks below 40. We've certainly proven that we can do that in previous drafts. Here is the players on our list that were acquired with picks below 40 -

Pick 2 - Cotchin
Pick 3 - Dusty
Pick 7 - Caddy
Pick 9 - Prestia
Pick 9 - Vlaustin
Pick 11 - Lynch
Pick 13 - Jack
Pick 15 - D.Rioli
Pick 20 - RCD
Pick 21 - Dow
Pick 25 - Balta
Pick 26 - Edwards
Pick 29 - Bolton
Pick 31 - McIntosh
Pick 35 - Nankevis

Some notable players who were gained for much later picks -

PSD Pick 2 - Grimes
Rookie Draft Pick 11 - Short
Rookie Draft Pick 46 - Lambert
Rookie Draft Pick 68 - Soldo
SSD - Stack

Oh, and we improved a Rookie Pick 30 to a ND pick 38 - Chol :grinv1:

Dogs only have 17 + 74 and they wont use 74 so if they trade in our 3 picks then they'll use 1 for Darcy and only have to find 2 other spots, one is covered by Lipinski going and I haven't looked but I'm sure that there's at least 2 others gone.

We've cut CCJ, Chol, Naish, Houli & Astbury with only Tarrant coming in, so that's 4 spots so far, Garth and Caddy might be gone as well as Egg off the rookie list (which won't affect our main list spots before the draft) That's possibly 6 spots for us to fill. My hope is that we take:

Chol was a rookie wasn't he, so it's only 3 spots with ccj going.

We can cut as many as we want though, its the dogs who need list spots to make use of 4+ picks. I don't know if they'd cut people just so they can use more picks for a fs bid.

I'm not certain we desperately need to trade up into the draft as much as we feel we do. We could pick up a huge amount of talent with our picks below 40. We've certainly proven that we can do that in previous drafts. Here is the players on our list that were acquired with picks below 40 -

Pick 2 - Cotchin
Pick 3 - Dusty
Pick 7 - Caddy
Pick 9 - Prestia
Pick 9 - Vlaustin
Pick 11 - Lynch
Pick 13 - Jack
Pick 15 - D.Rioli
Pick 20 - RCD
Pick 21 - Dow
Pick 25 - Balta
Pick 26 - Edwards
Pick 29 - Bolton
Pick 31 - McIntosh
Pick 35 - Nankevis

PSD Pick 2 - Grimes
SSD - Stack

You left of castagna, a 3 time flag winner as a rookie pick.

Pick 2 - Cotchin
Pick 3 - Dusty
Pick 7 - Caddy
Pick 9 - Prestia
Pick 9 - Vlaustin
Pick 11 - Lynch
Pick 13 - Jack
Pick 15 - D.Rioli
Pick 20 - RCD
Pick 21 - Dow
Pick 25 - Balta
Pick 26 - Edwards
Pick 29 - Bolton
Pick 31 - McIntosh
Pick 35 - Nankevis

PSD Pick 2 - Grimes
SSD - Stack

9 flags out of the 2015 rookie draft through Castagna, Short, Lambert and Soldo, pretty good i reckon

Rookie list out: Chol - Eggsmith
Main List out : Garthwaite - Houli - Astbury - Naish - Coleman Jones
In : Tarrant - Parker
Caddy to rookie gives us 5 spots i believe
Chol was on the senior list
Out Chol, CCJ, Houli, Astbury, Naish, Garth, DES (rookie)
IN Tarrant
Leaves 5 senior spots, 0 rookie spots.

They got rid of the rule of moving players from the senior to rookie list. Caddy would have to be delisted (which means paying him out) to be rookied.
Doesn't make sense to do that. Plus there are no Cat A rookie spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a great hand , the extra pick from the dogs
Gives us so much more flexibility in what types we take, I was happy going in with what we have, dogs pick would be huge, 5 picks in the top 30
Is super exciting.

Pick 2 - Cotchin
Pick 3 - Dusty
Pick 7 - Caddy
Pick 9 - Prestia
Pick 9 - Vlaustin
Pick 11 - Lynch
Pick 13 - Jack
Pick 15 - D.Rioli
Pick 20 - RCD
Pick 21 - Dow
Pick 25 - Balta
Pick 26 - Edwards
Pick 29 - Bolton
Pick 31 - McIntosh
Pick 35 - Nankevis

PSD Pick 2 - Grimes
SSD - Stack

Jack Graham was it pick 55?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Caddy is contracted mate, there’s no way he’s going onto the rookie list. We’d have tk delist him to do so.

Yes he was though I only was placing players who we chose below pick 40 to show what we could get with this years picks. Probably should have put Graham in the notable section though. :)
2 time Premiership player :trophy::trophy:. Marlion Pickett and Liam Baker are also in that premiership club, and both were taken outside the National Draft

Just a quick question on cadds. Have we ever given him a decent amount of time in the guts with dusty and cotch to learn that role? Imo he could be an absolute wrecking ball inside if we used him that way....

2 time Premiership player :trophy::trophy:. Marlion Pickett and Liam Baker are also in that premiership club, and both were taken outside the National Draft
The recruiters have done a fantastic job finding talent outside the system especially during recent lean draft years...now it's time to reload on some future guns...thinking two out of Callaghan, hobbs, ward or possibly Erasmus would set us up nicely....

Just a quick question on cadds. Have we ever given him a decent amount of time in the guts with dusty and cotch to learn that role? Imo he could be an absolute wrecking ball inside if we used him that way....
Yeh ,on the ball, half back,wing shithouse in all 3
Dropped and didn't return, he'd be in trouble if he didn't have a year left on his contract on good coin

Yeh ,on the ball, half back,wing shithouse in all 3
Dropped and didn't return, he'd be in trouble if he didn't have a year left on his contract on good coin
Funny though I cannot remember him playing on the ball that much. I spose we didn't need him to...he did look good playing forward though....he is handy and it would be a shame to lose him...

Funny though I cannot remember him playing on the ball that much. I spose we didn't need him to...he did look good playing forward though....he is handy and it would be a shame to lose him...
He didn't get alot of time on the ball, but didn't impact when he was there, he's a medium forward
Nothing else, squeezed out once lynch arrived
Plus chol, ccj rotating forward made it even harder
For him to cement a spot.

The recruiters have done a fantastic job finding talent outside the system especially during recent lean draft years...now it's time to reload on some future guns...thinking two out of Callaghan, hobbs, ward or possibly Erasmus would set us up nicely....
TWO??. I'm thinking they would be happy to get one of those first three you mentioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back