List Mgmt. 2021 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez some of the highlights packages aren’t great this year. Obviously it’s due to less footy being played but some of the “highlights” are a bit nothingy. A player standing unmarked 35m out and converting the goal doesn’t tell me much except the defence was atrocious. Would love some more footage of their defensive acts and running. Guess you have to go to the games for that.

part of me wants the recruiters to trade our high picks out for next year when they can get a proper look. There will be massive bargains this year.

His draft notes say opposite, that he was an 'aggressive midfielder who propels the ball forward with his long boot.
30 out of 30 in the goalkicking at the combines.

I think the kicking thing was blown up because of his great handball game and the position he played. Inside mids who get their hands on the ball first often do have average kicking skills, especially those who did it from day one in the AFL where the time factor is cut in half. As he has adjusted to AFL his kicking has gone back to being pretty good.
Others have echoed what I mentioned. Perhaps he was rushing a lot of kicks because of the role he played?

Either way, your comments are a good reminder not to get too sucked in by sexy sounding draft notes!

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

Others have echoed what I mentioned. Perhaps he was rushing a lot of kicks because of the role he played?

Either way, your comments are a good reminder not to get too sucked in by sexy sounding draft notes!

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk
I never felt he was that bad just like a lot of youngish mids can bang it on their boots under pressure.

Dodoro, can be smart, we just need to be smart and confident the player whichever it is, if there is one, is worth any upgrade and loss of a second rounder for RFC or not. If not that's fine. Probably know more in the live trade.

Even a pick 15 and pick 28 for pick 9 might make more sense if it could be done with the Saints

If Knightmares latest phantom was to occur that would be Ward and Dobbs from 7 and 9
Who's this Dobbs character?

Geez some of the highlights packages aren’t great this year. Obviously it’s due to less footy being played but some of the “highlights” are a bit nothingy. A player standing unmarked 35m out and converting the goal doesn’t tell me much except the defence was atrocious. Would love some more footage of their defensive acts and running. Guess you have to go to the games for that.

part of me wants the recruiters to trade our high picks out for next year when they can get a proper look. There will be massive bargains this year.

We traded out of a 1st round last year we cant do it 2 years in a row. It creates to big a gap in the age profile of the list. We need to take our picks this year and hopefully our recruiters get it right.

9 Hobbs, otherwise Ward
17 Sonsie/Goater (whoever slides)
28 Bazzo
29 Taylor
30 Another Tall forward prospect

Hobbs and Bazzo probably the 2 key players we need from this draft.

Hobbs has grown on me dramatically. After reading his supports and seeing his highlights, he reminds me of an Ollie Wines type and a little bit of Dusty getting out of traffic. You need players like this with a first round pick. I don't think Hobbs is just an accumulator.

very solid mix…would be stoked if we got close to that…

Agree, it’s a crap year to have 5 picks in top 30 because of the lack of exposed form.
There will be big bargains in the 40’s and 50’s and more busts than usual in top 30 picked.
That is why we have tried to trade up into top 5 or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, it’s a crap year to have 5 picks in top 30 because of the lack of exposed form.
There will be big bargains in the 40’s and 50’s and more busts than usual in top 30 picked.
That is why we have tried to trade up into top 5 or so.

Maybe the true bargains are in the 20's & 30's
There is a good list of 40 players with decent exposed form from all the way since they were 16. The recruiters at clubs would know a bit about the kids and the trick would be to pick the right kids out of that 30/40 that has the potential to make it in the AFL

To be fair to our young mids though, they really haven’t had a chance to show many signs. Gotta give them a chance
Yeah but when we head to the draft we need to make a decision from what we have already observed.

Should we be confident that our midfield is all set with the required stars in it and go for KPPs/rucks early in the draft like some are suggesting or should we focus on getting the next star midfielder? I think our focus should still be on midfielders because I don’t really see an A+ midfielder among our youth other than Bolton as things stand right now. Therefore, we need to use our fantastic hand to fill that need since this draft’s a midfielder’s draft.

A couple of our young midfielders currently on our list could end up A-Grade mids, but that’s more of a possibility right now than a likely outcome.

We also need KPPs, but I’d rather us go for them in a draft where there are more of them touted to go at the top end. Otherwise, their worth could be overstated. Sounds like Andrew and Gibcus are the only ones really worth going for in the first round.

Yeah but when we head to the draft we need to make a decision from what we have already observed.

Should we be confident that our midfield is all set with the required stars in it and go for KPPs/rucks early in the draft like some are suggesting or should we focus on getting the next star midfielder? I think our focus should still be on midfielders because I don’t really see an A+ midfielder among our youth other than Bolton as things stand right now. Therefore, we need to use our fantastic hand to fill that need since this draft’s a midfielder’s draft.

A couple of our young midfielders currently on our list could end up A-Grade mids, but that’s more of a possibility right now than a likely outcome.

We also need KPPs, but I’d rather us go for them in a draft where there are more of them touted to go at the top end. Otherwise, their worth could be overstated. Sounds like Andrew and Gibcus are the only ones really worth going for in the first round.

I think we have some good young players but what their role is is yet to be defined apart from the likes of Graham and Bolton. The other thing is some of our older players will not be around forever either including the mids

You have to pick players that are worth picking up. Not worth getting a guy thats unlikely to make it from the get go.

I look at a guy like Will Hayes let go from the Bulldogs. He looked like he was not quite good enough and was a draft pick in the 70's I think

I think we have some good young players but what their role is is yet to be defined apart from the likes of Graham and Bolton. The other thing is some of our older players will not be around forever either including the mids

You have to pick players that are worth picking up. Not worth getting a guy thats unlikely to make it from the get go.

I look at a guy like Will Hayes let go from the Bulldogs. He looked like he was not quite good enough and was a draft pick in the 70's I think
was never really gonna make it,more a case of ambition on his part,totally agree,players more often than not who are late 3rds are just seconds material @ best

I agree with you, I’d go mids myself but still have faith that Dow, Ross, RCD and others can be pretty decent senior mids. But if we can snag a top liner using our strong draft hand, then we should do so but look also at KPP as that’s also an area we need more depth in

I agree with you, I’d go mids myself but still have faith that Dow, Ross, RCD and others can be pretty decent senior mids. But if we can snag a top liner using our strong draft hand, then we should do so but look also at KPP as that’s also an area we need more depth in
RFC has already snagged a top liner in Sydney Stack...just needs to get hisself established into the side...
I reckon our strong draft hand will work itself out on the day...too many variables at play here...

Interesting snippet from the H/S.
Where there's smoke there's Fire?
Richmond
Draft picks: 7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 83

List needs: Inside midfielders, key forwards, outside speed, key defensive depth

Who could be available at first pick: Josh Rachele, Josh Ward, Ben Hobbs, Jye Amiss

Could be in the mix after that: Josh Goater, Josh Sinn, Zac Taylor, Angus Sheldrick, Jack Williams, Blake Howes, Greg Clark

Richmond is crying out for inside midfielders after being smashed in the clinches last season, ranking dead last for stoppage-clearance differential and 16th for contested-possession differential. Ball-winning machine Hobbs would suit the Tigers’ needs perfectly, but will he still be on the board at seven (nine after bids)? Ward, an ultra-consistent midfielder likened to Zach Merrett, could also impact right away and may be on offer, while Rachele has the match-winning traits as a forward-mid to be a superb option for the Tigers. Amiss is worth considering after the loss of Callum Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol during the trade and free agency period. With five picks inside the top 30, Richmond could look to package selections to move up the board, but expect them to be sitting pretty either way with their strong hand. Line-breaking options Goater or Sinn may be available at the Tigers’ second pick, while draft bolter Sheldrick, a tough-as-nails 179cm midfielder, classy ball-user Taylor, roaming key forward Williams and wingman Howes look to be around the mark for their three picks in the 20s. With 2022 looming as this group’s last shot at a premiership, could the Tigers take a punt on a mature-age midfielder? Former top-10 pick Nathan Freeman – who they showed interest in ahead of this year’s mid-season draft – or the 191cm Clark, the winner of the best-on-ground medal in Subiaco’s WAFL grand final, present as plug-in-and-play options.

Interesting snippet from the H/S.
Where there's smoke there's Fire?
Richmond
Draft picks: 7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 83

List needs: Inside midfielders, key forwards, outside speed, key defensive depth

Who could be available at first pick: Josh Rachele, Josh Ward, Ben Hobbs, Jye Amiss

Could be in the mix after that: Josh Goater, Josh Sinn, Zac Taylor, Angus Sheldrick, Jack Williams, Blake Howes, Greg Clark

Richmond is crying out for inside midfielders after being smashed in the clinches last season, ranking dead last for stoppage-clearance differential and 16th for contested-possession differential. Ball-winning machine Hobbs would suit the Tigers’ needs perfectly, but will he still be on the board at seven (nine after bids)? Ward, an ultra-consistent midfielder likened to Zach Merrett, could also impact right away and may be on offer, while Rachele has the match-winning traits as a forward-mid to be a superb option for the Tigers. Amiss is worth considering after the loss of Callum Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol during the trade and free agency period. With five picks inside the top 30, Richmond could look to package selections to move up the board, but expect them to be sitting pretty either way with their strong hand. Line-breaking options Goater or Sinn may be available at the Tigers’ second pick, while draft bolter Sheldrick, a tough-as-nails 179cm midfielder, classy ball-user Taylor, roaming key forward Williams and wingman Howes look to be around the mark for their three picks in the 20s. With 2022 looming as this group’s last shot at a premiership, could the Tigers take a punt on a mature-age midfielder? Former top-10 pick Nathan Freeman – who they showed interest in ahead of this year’s mid-season draft – or the 191cm Clark, the winner of the best-on-ground medal in Subiaco’s WAFL grand final, present as plug-in-and-play options.
If we end up doing a trade and only taking the four picks early in the draft, I could see us picking up Freeman either late, as a DFA or as a rookie.

I don't mind the idea. Yeah it's a risk, but only small one considering he'll only be taking the last spot on the list.

If we end up doing a trade and only taking the four picks early in the draft, I could see us picking up Freeman either late, as a DFA or as a rookie.

I don't mind the idea. Yeah it's a risk, but only small one considering he'll only be taking the last spot on the list.
Just found it interesting that Freemans name has come up of recent times.Word on the street perhaps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back