List Mgmt. 2021 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting snippet from the H/S.
Where there's smoke there's Fire?
Richmond
Draft picks: 7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 83

List needs: Inside midfielders, key forwards, outside speed, key defensive depth

Who could be available at first pick: Josh Rachele, Josh Ward, Ben Hobbs, Jye Amiss

Could be in the mix after that: Josh Goater, Josh Sinn, Zac Taylor, Angus Sheldrick, Jack Williams, Blake Howes, Greg Clark

Richmond is crying out for inside midfielders after being smashed in the clinches last season, ranking dead last for stoppage-clearance differential and 16th for contested-possession differential. Ball-winning machine Hobbs would suit the Tigers’ needs perfectly, but will he still be on the board at seven (nine after bids)? Ward, an ultra-consistent midfielder likened to Zach Merrett, could also impact right away and may be on offer, while Rachele has the match-winning traits as a forward-mid to be a superb option for the Tigers. Amiss is worth considering after the loss of Callum Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol during the trade and free agency period. With five picks inside the top 30, Richmond could look to package selections to move up the board, but expect them to be sitting pretty either way with their strong hand. Line-breaking options Goater or Sinn may be available at the Tigers’ second pick, while draft bolter Sheldrick, a tough-as-nails 179cm midfielder, classy ball-user Taylor, roaming key forward Williams and wingman Howes look to be around the mark for their three picks in the 20s. With 2022 looming as this group’s last shot at a premiership, could the Tigers take a punt on a mature-age midfielder? Former top-10 pick Nathan Freeman – who they showed interest in ahead of this year’s mid-season draft – or the 191cm Clark, the winner of the best-on-ground medal in Subiaco’s WAFL grand final, present as plug-in-and-play options.
Whatever happens please no Rachele. Won't improve us now, could also just end up another Higgins or Lennon. Get the pure mids and failing that, the key position.

Whatever happens please no Rachele. Won't improve us now, could also just end up another Higgins or Lennon. Get the pure mids and failing that, the key position.
Hoping we do a trade with the crows.
They get Rachele@7
We get Hobbs/Ward@4.

Interesting. Wonder if Freo would go for him at 6 or still prefer Erasmus? Pretty sure Freo will go Erasmus and Amiss, so maybe Eagles at 10? I'd like to think one of Hobbs/Ward will know we're keen and say they don't want to be drafted by a WA club, meaning Freo can't thwart us at 6.

I was looking at some of their boards and some thought Erasmus might even go to the Hawks

Interesting. Wonder if Freo would go for him at 6 or still prefer Erasmus? Pretty sure Freo will go Erasmus and Amiss, so maybe Eagles at 10? I'd like to think one of Hobbs/Ward will know we're keen and say they don't want to be drafted by a WA club, meaning Freo can't thwart us at 6.
Pretty sure the Eagles would take local boy Mathew Johnson over Josh Goater at 10. He's exactly what the Eagles need to begin to replenish their midfield. Will be interesting to see if Goater is still there at our second pick.

They want more picks in this draft so not futures. I guess two of those 20 picks would need to be involved so we would drop back to taking just the 4 picks rather than 5.

There is rarely if ever a win / win with Dodoro - pass

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems afl com are doing writeups on all the top 20-30 kids. All the clubs would have interviewed all the kids and asked exactly that question for out-of-staters. The background of his father/Cable was an interesting byline for the article for gaining interest and a link to the WA clubs.
I wouldn't read anything more into it.

Was he tested for endurance or did he miss testing? Does he have the tank as a mid is what I took from the article being a CHF junior. Seems the Cannons got him playing mid. The fact he played senior footy though puts him ahead of some who haven't in my books though.

Point is, clubs have their ratings pretty much decided, could just as well be Bummers or GWS take him at their pick before our 2nd. Simply pushes another rated kid we had towards us. Their are some good 'uns.

hopefully we draft Long

alongside Short and Broad he'd add another dimension to our squad

we'd have nearly every team's measure

I think we could go the distance

With that lineup we might be able to convince Barry Round to make a comeback!

Keen on him @ 15.
I'd go earlier if needed. Can play back, forward and midfield. Averaged 8 clearances in Metro matches and he'd not played much in there before, mainly a forward as a kid. At half back he went at 30 possessions a game. Tall, fast, good overhead and versatile. Not many mids are genuinely flexible, a good attribute to have.

I'd go earlier if needed. Can play back, forward and midfield. Averaged 8 clearances in Metro matches and he'd not played much in there before, mainly a forward as a kid. At half back he went at 30 possessions a game. Tall, fast, good overhead and versatile. Not many mids are genuinely flexible, a good attribute to have.
Yeah he looks like a great prospect. Maybe if we get 11 from Bombers or 9 from Saints or something. His bio reads like a #1 pick. What's his weakness?

Yeah he looks like a great prospect. Maybe if we get 11 from Bombers or 9 from Saints or something. His bio reads like a #1 pick. What's his weakness?
Someone mentioned his kicking is not as good as some, neither are a couple of others many want at this pick. Maybe he hasn't been in the system as long. Watched a fair bit of TAC a few years back and the one's in the system the longest certainly get a leg up.

Outside the box and I know the club wouldn't do it because we already on traded our first round pick last year but I'd be tempted to on trade both our 1st rounders to other clubs for next year 1st rounders. I'd then ask the bombers if they want picks 26 & 27 for their pick 11.

It would leave us with 3 first rounders next year, pick 11 and 28 this year plus our pick 83 would push up quite a far way after all the father sons and passes. Who knows we could end up with a slider. It would also give us 2 list spots free for any free agents if needed.

Seems like there is a lot of guess work being done on a lot of players past the early stages and I'm losing confidence due to lack of vision and matches. We could still grab a few kids this season and then have 3 1st rounders next year and 2 second rounders.

Outside the box and I know the club wouldn't do it because we already on traded our first round pick last year but I'd be tempted to on trade both our 1st rounders to other clubs for next year 1st rounders. I'd then ask the bombers if they want picks 26 & 27 for their pick 11.

It would leave us with 3 first rounders next year, pick 11 and 28 this year plus our pick 83 would push up quite a far way after all the father sons and passes. Who knows we could end up with a slider. It would also give us 2 list spots free for any free agents if needed.

Seems like there is a lot of guess work being done on a lot of players past the early stages and I'm losing confidence due to lack of vision and matches. We could still grab a few kids this season and then have 3 1st rounders next year and 2 second rounders.

This idea that somehow there'll be a clearer picture next year is simply erroneous. The kids next year are still going to have missed two years of footy development in Victoria and to be honest getting a full competition year won't necessarily address that. You could be drafting guys next year that are even further away from contributing at the elite level than this year and for no apparent improvement in our draft hand.

It also kicks the can down the road another year when we need to be replenishing the list NOW given a significant core of our top 10 players will be over 30 years old.

This idea that somehow there'll be a clearer picture next year is simply erroneous. The kids next year are still going to have missed two years of footy development in Victoria and to be honest getting a full competition year won't necessarily address that. You could be drafting guys next year that are even further away from contributing at the elite level than this year and for no apparent improvement in our draft hand.

It also kicks the can down the road another year when we need to be replenishing the list NOW given a significant core of our top 10 players will be over 30 years old.
Had this arguement a few pages back.
I'd prefer next years crop over this years.
Rather be selecting on the years performance not from 2yrs back with this crop.
Rather just go with 4 picks this year and 5+ next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back