List Mgmt. 2021 draft pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

We have 5 picks within the top 30. Unless we are doing a deal to get a pick around 16-20 (using our 2nd rounders), or for example doing a deal with the crows trading our 7 & 26 for their 4 & 33, I would not entertain in giving up any of our 2nd rounders for a 3rd rounder and a future 2nd rounder, there's just too much talent on the board from the late 20's to the 30's.

I reckon Port, Bummers and Bloos will be turning on the charm trying to get hold of one of our picks. Depending on how desperate they are, we could ream with no lube. Probably worth it for the lols.

I’m 34 and we’ve drafted 2 really good forwards in my life. Two! Hogg (did we draft him, I don’t even know, he left when I was young) and Riewoldt. You could argue we paid less attention to it whilst Richo (father son) was so awesome, yet we still sucked anyway didn’t we, so it’s not like we did well drafting in other areas.

Anyway let’s be a tad more recent. Since drafting Riewoldt (now a 300+ gamer) we’ve drafted a grand total of zero good tall forwards. Zero! Not for a lack of trying either. To me this says that we either suck at drafting them OR they’re really hard to produce to the level you really want or need to win finals.

So I say poach them rather than drafting them, you get a better strike rate with midfielders and defenders.

Yep … the list of failed (relatively speaking) KPF in the top-15 over the last decade is lengthy… Thorp, Patton, Boyd, Schache, Watts, Day, Gorringe, Jaksch, McCarthy, McCartin, Weideman, Brander, Fogarty (question marks), McAsey (question marks)…. there are of course many ‘hits’, but it seems to be about a 40/60 bet.

I’d suggest Gibcus or Hobbs are both 70/30 to be at the least very good players. I’d take Gibcus, Hobbs, Johnson before Amiss. I’d even take Erasmus, Sinn or Sonsie before Amiss.

Unless a KPF has something very very special (athleticism like Buddy, Footy brain like Jack etc…) beyond just being ‘big’ avoid the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m 34 and we’ve drafted 2 really good forwards in my life. Two! Hogg (did we draft him, I don’t even know, he left when I was young) and Riewoldt. You could argue we paid less attention to it whilst Richo (father son) was so awesome, yet we still sucked anyway didn’t we, so it’s not like we did well drafting in other areas.

Anyway let’s be a tad more recent. Since drafting Riewoldt (now a 300+ gamer) we’ve drafted a grand total of zero good tall forwards. Zero! Not for a lack of trying either. To me this says that we either suck at drafting them OR they’re really hard to produce to the level you really want or need to win finals.

So I say poach them rather than drafting them, you get a better strike rate with midfielders and defenders.
So you're saying we are due?

Johnson will not get to second probably, Taylor will not get to third probably
At the start of Draft Day with Kevin Costner he writes down the name of a player on a piece of paper and it says
Vontae Mack
no matter what.

I'm taking the same view here. My very first thought regards the draft was Josh Ward and I'm sticking with him no matter what. The one thing our next generation midfield is missing is a player who can wrack up touches and Ward can do just that I know it's unlikely that we land him but then again stranger things have happened. As for the rest of our draft picks, I've gone off picking any of the talls with the exception of Gibcus at our first pick if Ward & Hobbs are both gone.

My final wish list:
First pick - Ward
Second pick - Johnson
Third pick - Taylor
Fourth pick - Macdonald
Fifth pick - Sheldrick

If we can and the above 5 players I believe our next generation midfield will be complete and we can then start to focus on acquiring our next generation KPPs.
Same I was all for ward at the start of the draft period and nothing has changed.

Thing is though that the best key forwards do tend to be early picks. If you do nail it as well it means in future drafts we don’t burn draft picks on key forwards in the range of picks we have for list balance purposes

You're probably not looking at a Dusty-level mid at that pick (unless you're very lucky).

I'd say if we're choosing between Hobbs and Gibcus its a bit like choosing between Prestia and Grimes. That sort of level.
Grimes wins every time...

Our most epic fails were the Pavlich and Franklin/Roughead misses. Mind you, Deledio was definitely the no brainer pick one that year. Fiora was a huge fail. Can't win them all.

We've drafted a bunch of forwards since Hogg; Stu Edwards looked great for a few years, Mark McQueen, Plapp, probably would have been guns in old-school VFL footy but the game had passed them by.

In recent years we've probably had too many ruck/forward types. There's probably a lesson there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you trade before or it has to be the time of the pick?
I believe the AFL has allocated 30 minutes of drafting/pics can occur prior to the draft starting.
If we are doing a deal with Essendon I’d want to get it done prior to the draft starting. I do not trust them to keep to their word should a highly rated pick still be on the table.

I believe the AFL has allocated 30 minutes of drafting/pics can occur prior to the draft starting.
If we are doing a deal with Essendon I’d want to get it done prior to the draft starting. I do not trust them to keep to their word should a highly rated pick still be on the table.

Can I be a real whiner here and say that under no circumstances whatsoever should we ever do any kind of deals with those drug cheats. I couldn’t stand it if they ended up winning , even if they didn’t their supporter ferals would interpret it as such .

Don’t damage our brand . Keep away from those cheats . Once a cheater always a cheater .

Our most epic fails were the Pavlich and Franklin/Roughead misses. Mind you, Deledio was definitely the no brainer pick one that year. Fiora was a huge fail. Can't win them all.

We've drafted a bunch of forwards since Hogg; Stu Edwards looked great for a few years, Mark McQueen, Plapp, probably would have been guns in old-school VFL footy but the game had passed them by.

In recent years we've probably had too many ruck/forward types. There's probably a lesson there.

Stuart Edwards and Mark Summers were superb talents at CHF . Injuries completely destroyed both .

Essendon seem almost desperate to do any trade they can for their first provided they get the upper hand in terms of serious value gain from the trade.

Sounds like they are not really keen on a specific prospect at that pick, or at least rate a bunch around the same value and may even have someone in mind at a later pick( as long as it is not too far away from where they are currently at) and comes down to price they want.

I suspect they have someone in mind and think they can get him at 14 or 15 etc.., I think I might know who it is to
Okay genius, why don’t you enlighten us all with your wisdom. Who is it the bombers are after?

More than happy with Gibcus at pick #9 and go all out mids with later picks
#9 - Gibcus
#17 - Goater
#29-#32 MacDonald , Taylor , Knevitt

There will be some gem's later
Not a bad suggestion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back