Prediction 2021 Draft Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who aren’t quite in a position to do a full phantom draft, but who would still like to have a go at predicting the draft, please use this thread to post your predictions :)

The current draft order is available in the pinned thread, here:

In accordance with board rules, phantom drafts which do not fulfil the requirements of a full first round using the current draft order (at time of posting), and preferably with a bit of explanation and willingness to explain your decisions, may also be merged into this thread.

Following the Trade Period, the current order for the first round of the draft is:

1. North Melbourne
  2. GWS Giants
  3. Gold Coast Suns
  4. Adelaide
  5. Hawthorn
  6. Fremantle
  7. Richmond
  8. Fremantle
  9. St Kilda
  10. West Coast Eagles
  11. Essendon
  12. Port Adelaide
  13. GWS Giants
  14. Brisbane Lions
  15. Richmond
  16. Sydney Swans
  17. Melbourne
  18. Brisbane Lions

Last edited:
1. Collingwood - Nick Daicos (F/S)
2. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
3. Western Bulldogs - Sam Darcy (F/S)
4. GWS - Mac Andrew
5. Gold Coast - Finn Callaghan
6. Adelaide - Ben Hobbs
7. Hawthorn - Josh Ward
8. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
9. Richmond - Josh Gibcus
10. Fremantle - Neil Erasmus
11. St Kilda - Josh Rachele
12. West Coast - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
13. Essendon - Campbell Chesser
14. Sydney - Tyler Sonsie
15. GWS - Josh Goater
16. Brisbane - Josh Sinn
17. Richmond - Arlo Draper
18. Port Adelaide - Matthew Roberts
19. Brisbane - Toby Conway
20. Gold Coast - Jacob van Rooyen
You’ve got Conway way too high he’s rated late 2nd round at best
Besides we don’t need another young ruck after drafting one last year, and drafting another in the mid season draft this year.

1. Collingwood - Nick Daicos (F/S)
2. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
4. GWS - Mac Andrew
5. Gold Coast - Finn Callaghan
6. Adelaide - Ben Hobbs
7. Hawthorn - Josh Ward
8. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
9. Richmond - Josh Gibcus
10. Fremantle - Neil Erasmus
11. St Kilda - Josh Rachele
12. West Coast - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
13. Essendon - Campbell Chesser
14. Sydney - Tyler Sonsie
15. GWS - Josh Goater
16. Brisbane - Josh Sinn
17. Richmond - Arlo Draper
18. Port Adelaide - Matthew Roberts
19. Brisbane - Toby Conway
20. Gold Coast - Jacob van Rooyen
I know someone mentioned we want him.
If we take him at 2 I'll be filthy.

Mock I just knocked up:

1. North Melbourne - Jason Horne-Francis
2. Collingwood - Nick Daicos (F/S)
4. Greater Western Sydney - Finn Callaghan
5. Gold Coast - Josh Gibcus
6. Adelaide - Josh Ward
7. Hawthorn - Neil Erasmus
8. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
9. Richmond - Ben Hobbs
10. Fremantle - Matthew Johnson
11. St Kilda - Mac Andrew
12. West Coast - Tyler Sonsie
13. Essendon - Nasiah Wanagneen-Milera
14. Sydney - Josh Goater
15. Greater Western Sydney - Josh Rachele
16. Brisbane Lions - Josh Sinn
17. Richmond - Jacob Van Rooyen
18. Port Adelaide - Arlo Draper
19. Brisbane Lions - Campbell Chesser
20. Gold Coast - Matthew Roberts
21. Greater Western Sydney - Josh Fahey (Academy)
22. North Melbourne - Tom Brown

List assumes that Carlton trade their first (with likely extras outside the Top 20) for Adam Cerra, but does not assume any pick swaps. In practice I'd imagine Richmond trade up some of their later picks for the Dogs first rounder (in order to expeidite points for Sam Darcy).

As for the logic:

Top 3-4 pick themselves, though GWS do often think differently so maybe they go down a different path. Have Gold Coast picking Gibcus as I think they'd want talls, but could see Ward pushing that Top 4 to a point where picking him might be irresistable.

Ward to Adelaide is a best available kind of pick. If the "unrestricted" Top 3 is JHF - Callaghan - Ward though then what they do with Pick 4 (6) will be interesting. Though I don't think they go for it there is an argument that downgrading their Pick 4 to Pick 12 in a Jordan Dawson trade might make sense for their list.

Hawthorn are another interesting one. The likely best available here in Hobbs doesn't really fit their list build that well so it'll be interesting to see what they do. Sonsie could be an option given the Box Hill connection but it seems early, Rachele maybe too risky. So I went with Erasmus instead, who gives their midfield something a bit different and is a high upside option which Hawthorn would like.

If Erasmus is there at their first pick I would expect Freo to pounce. As it is, it's a toss-up between Hobbs and Amiss. I went with Amiss because I think they need the tall more + he's a WAussie. Whichever one Freo doesn't pick I think Richmond would pick with Pick 7.

Freo's second pick is the interesting one with the way this draft panned out. Goater feels a kind of Freo pick, NWM gives them some midfield run. But I went with Johnson due to the WA factor and them probably needing a taller mid with Fyfe and Mundy aging.

St Kilda could go a number of ways - all of Sonsie, NWM, Goater, Rachele and Sinn could add something to their side. But with Ryder aging and Marshall generally playing better when he's playing with another ruck I have them picking Andrew.

West Coast I have going Sonsie for the sort of reasons Knightmare suggested - they tend to like selecting players who have played well over multiple years and Sonsie absolutely fits that. NWM to Essendon because I think they're short a running winger.

Sydney are a hard one. Obviously my hope is that Andrew or Gibcus somehow slides. Assuming they don't, then I reckon it could be between Roberts, Johnson and Goater. I've gone the latter as he's a taller mid (which we need) and someone who can play multiple positions (which is something we've targeted in recent years)

GWS's second pick assuming things pan out this way I have being a tossup between Sinn and Rachele. Sinn probably fits what they recruit for more, but Rachele fits a better need. Him and Greene off the half-forward flank will be something special.

Sinn to Brisbane is a best available kind of thing. JVR to Richmond because they need a tall, and he's probably the best one left at this point. Draper to Port as the best available (was close between him and Roberts).

Chesser seems like a Brisbane kind of player, so I've gone him for their second first rounder. Roberts to Gold Coast as the best available (though I don't expect them to keep this pick). North's defence needs developing (IMO) so I've got them bidding on Fahey, then selecting Brown as the best available defender.

Mock I just knocked up:

6. Adelaide - Josh Ward
8. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
9. Richmond - Ben Hobbs
14. Sydney - Josh Goater

List assumes that Carlton trade their first (with likely extras outside the Top 20) for Adam Cerra, but does not assume any pick swaps. In practice I'd imagine Richmond trade up some of their later picks for the Dogs first rounder (in order to expeidite points for Sam Darcy).

As for the logic:

Top 3-4 pick themselves, though GWS do often think differently so maybe they go down a different path. Have Gold Coast picking Gibcus as I think they'd want talls, but could see Ward pushing that Top 4 to a point where picking him might be irresistable.

Ward to Adelaide is a best available kind of pick. If the "unrestricted" Top 3 is JHF - Callaghan - Ward though then what they do with Pick 4 (6) will be interesting. Though I don't think they go for it there is an argument that downgrading their Pick 4 to Pick 12 in a Jordan Dawson trade might make sense for their list.

Hawthorn are another interesting one. The likely best available here in Hobbs doesn't really fit their list build that well so it'll be interesting to see what they do. Sonsie could be an option given the Box Hill connection but it seems early, Rachele maybe too risky. So I went with Erasmus instead, who gives their midfield something a bit different and is a high upside option which Hawthorn would like.

If Erasmus is there at their first pick I would expect Freo to pounce. As it is, it's a toss-up between Hobbs and Amiss. I went with Amiss because I think they need the tall more + he's a WAussie. Whichever one Freo doesn't pick I think Richmond would pick with Pick 7.

Freo's second pick is the interesting one with the way this draft panned out. Goater feels a kind of Freo pick, NWM gives them some midfield run. But I went with Johnson due to the WA factor and them probably needing a taller mid with Fyfe and Mundy aging.

St Kilda could go a number of ways - all of Sonsie, NWM, Goater, Rachele and Sinn could add something to their side. But with Ryder aging and Marshall generally playing better when he's playing with another ruck I have them picking Andrew.

West Coast I have going Sonsie for the sort of reasons Knightmare suggested - they tend to like selecting players who have played well over multiple years and Sonsie absolutely fits that. NWM to Essendon because I think they're short a running winger.

Sydney are a hard one. Obviously my hope is that Andrew or Gibcus somehow slides. Assuming they don't, then I reckon it could be between Roberts, Johnson and Goater. I've gone the latter as he's a taller mid (which we need) and someone who can play multiple positions (which is something we've targeted in recent years)

GWS's second pick assuming things pan out this way I have being a tossup between Sinn and Rachele. Sinn probably fits what they recruit for more, but Rachele fits a better need. Him and Greene off the half-forward flank will be something special.

Sinn to Brisbane is a best available kind of thing. JVR to Richmond because they need a tall, and he's probably the best one left at this point. Draper to Port as the best available (was close between him and Roberts).

Chesser seems like a Brisbane kind of player, so I've gone him for their second first rounder. Roberts to Gold Coast as the best available (though I don't expect them to keep this pick). North's defence needs developing (IMO) so I've got them bidding on Fahey, then selecting Brown as the best available defender.
Sinn and Chesser are the same type of player with 2 picks surely the Lions look at something different at either pick

Sinn and Chesser are the same type of player with 2 picks surely the Lions look at something different at either pick

I'd be over the moon with that to be honest. Wouldn't necessarily address our lack of developing talls, but two high quality (and by all accounts with high-quality character too) running defenders/possible midfielders would give us some great depth. If we got out on draft night with those two, I think it would be hard to be anything but elated. Doubt Sinn falls that far though in the end.

Mock I just knocked up:

6. Adelaide - Josh Ward
8. Fremantle - Jye Amiss
9. Richmond - Ben Hobbs
14. Sydney - Josh Goater

As for the logic:

Happy for Erasmus to be the Hawks 1st Pick from what I have read about him cannot wait to see his highlight package!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

1. Coll- Daicos bid
2. Nth- HorneFrancis
3. Bull- Darcy bid
4. GWS- Andrew
5. GC- Callahan
6. Adel- Gibcus
7. Haw- Ward
8. Freo- Erasmus
9. Rich- Hobbs
10. Freo- Amiss
11. Stkil- WanganeenMilera
12. WC- Johnson
13. Ess- Rachele
14. Syd- Draper
15. GWS- Sinn
16. Bris- Sonsie
17. Rich- Goater
18. Port- Roberts
19. Bull?- VanRooyen
20. Bris- Chesser
21. GC- Wilmot
22. Nth- J Clarke
23. Haw- Butler
24. GC- Bazzo
25. Adel- Knevitt
26. Haw- Taylor
27. Freo- Brown
28. Rich- Williams
29. Carl-Chipper
30. Rich- Banks
31. WC- Hough
32. Geel- Browne
33. Syd- Macdonald
34. Stkil- Owens bid
35. Stkil- Windhager bid
36. GC- Uwland bid
37. GWS- Fayey bid
38. Melb- Howes
39. Geel- Long
40. WC- Conway
41. Coll- Dib bid
42. Adel- Motlop

Just a sample at this stage. Draft order will change a bit from here.
Tried to balance it on team needs and best available.
The bids will be spread throughout the second round and Dib could go later?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
1. Coll- Daicos bid
2. Nth- HorneFrancis
3. Bull- Darcy bid
4. GWS- Andrew
5. GC- Callahan
6. Adel- Gibcus
7. Haw- Ward
8. Freo- Erasmus
9. Rich- Hobbs
10. Freo- Amiss
12. WC- Johnson
13. Ess- Rachele
14. Syd- Draper
15. GWS- Sinn
16. Bris- Sonsie
17. Rich- Goater
18. Port- Roberts
19. Bull?- VanRooyen
20. Bris- Chesser
21. GC- Wilmot
22. Nth- J Clarke
23. Haw- Butler
24. GC- Bazzo
25. Adel- Knevitt
26. Haw- Taylor
27. Freo- Brown
28. Rich- Williams
29. Carl- Stengle
30. Rich- Banks
31. WC- Hough
32. Geel- Browne
33. Syd- Macdonald
34. Stkil- Owens bid
35. Stkil- Windhager bid
36. GC- Uwland bid
37. GWS- Fayey bid
38. Melb- Howes
39. Geel- Long
40. WC- Conway
41. Coll- Dib bid
42. Adel- Motlop

Actually rate this. Except for the 4 bids in a row.

Why would Saints take Mac Andrews? We are in desperate need for talented midfielders. We also took Max Heath in the mid season draft.

1. Coll- Daicos bid
2. Nth- HorneFrancis
3. Bull- Darcy bid
4. GWS- Andrew
5. GC- Callahan
6. Adel- Gibcus
7. Haw- Ward
8. Freo- Erasmus
9. Rich- Hobbs
10. Freo- Amiss
12. WC- Johnson
13. Ess- Rachele
14. Syd- Draper
15. GWS- Sinn
16. Bris- Sonsie
17. Rich- Goater
18. Port- Roberts
19. Bull?- VanRooyen
20. Bris- Chesser
21. GC- Wilmot
22. Nth- J Clarke
23. Haw- Butler
24. GC- Bazzo
25. Adel- Knevitt
26. Haw- Taylor
27. Freo- Brown
28. Rich- Williams
29. Carl-Chipper
30. Rich- Banks
31. WC- Hough
32. Geel- Browne
33. Syd- Macdonald
34. Stkil- Owens bid
35. Stkil- Windhager bid
36. GC- Uwland bid
37. GWS- Fayey bid
38. Melb- Howes
39. Geel- Long
40. WC- Conway
41. Coll- Dib bid
42. Adel- Motlop

If Motlop is taken after pick 40 the freo will have the ability to match the bid for him since he is apart of their NGA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Coll- Daicos bid
2. Nth- HorneFrancis
3. Bull- Darcy bid
4. GWS- Andrew
5. GC- Callahan
6. Adel- Gibcus
7. Haw- Ward
8. Freo- Erasmus
9. Rich- Hobbs
10. Freo- Amiss
12. WC- Johnson
13. Ess- Rachele
14. Syd- Draper
15. GWS- Sinn
16. Bris- Sonsie
17. Rich- Goater
18. Port- Roberts
19. Bull?- VanRooyen
20. Bris- Chesser
21. GC- Wilmot
22. Nth- J Clarke
23. Haw- Butler
24. GC- Bazzo
25. Adel- Knevitt
26. Haw- Taylor
27. Freo- Brown
28. Rich- Williams
29. Carl-Chipper
30. Rich- Banks
31. WC- Hough
32. Geel- Browne
33. Syd- Macdonald
34. Stkil- Owens bid
35. Stkil- Windhager bid
36. GC- Uwland bid
37. GWS- Fayey bid
38. Melb- Howes
39. Geel- Long
40. WC- Conway
41. Coll- Dib bid
42. Adel- Motlop

Pretty sure Suns can pre-draft Uwland on their rookie list

1. Coll- Daicos bid
2. Nth- HorneFrancis
3. Bull- Darcy bid
4. GWS- Andrew
5. GC- Callahan
6. Adel- Gibcus
7. Haw- Ward
8. Freo- Erasmus
9. Rich- Hobbs
10. Freo- Amiss
12. WC- Johnson
13. Ess- Rachele
14. Syd- Draper
15. GWS- Sinn
16. Bris- Sonsie
17. Rich- Goater
18. Port- Roberts
19. Bull?- VanRooyen
20. Bris- Chesser
21. GC- Wilmot
22. Nth- J Clarke
23. Haw- Butler
24. GC- Bazzo
25. Adel- Knevitt
26. Haw- Taylor
27. Freo- Brown
28. Rich- Williams
29. Carl-Chipper
30. Rich- Banks
31. WC- Hough
32. Geel- Browne
33. Syd- Macdonald
34. Stkil- Owens bid
35. Stkil- Windhager bid
36. GC- Uwland bid
37. GWS- Fayey bid
38. Melb- Howes
39. Geel- Long
40. WC- Conway
41. Coll- Dib bid
42. Adel- Motlop

I’d be spewing if the Lions took Sonsie with Goater still on board. You can swap those two picks around.

1. Coll- Daicos bid
2. Nth- HorneFrancis
3. Bull- Darcy bid
4. GWS- Andrew
5. GC- Callahan
6. Adel- Gibcus
7. Haw- Ward
8. Freo- Erasmus
9. Rich- Hobbs
10. Freo- Amiss
12. WC- Johnson
13. Ess- Rachele
14. Syd- Draper
15. GWS- Sinn
16. Bris- Sonsie
17. Rich- Goater
18. Port- Roberts
19. Bull?- VanRooyen
20. Bris- Chesser
21. GC- Wilmot
22. Nth- J Clarke
23. Haw- Butler
24. GC- Bazzo
25. Adel- Knevitt
26. Haw- Taylor
27. Freo- Brown
28. Rich- Williams
29. Carl-Chipper
30. Rich- Banks
31. WC- Hough
32. Geel- Browne
33. Syd- Macdonald
34. Stkil- Owens bid
35. Stkil- Windhager bid
36. GC- Uwland bid
37. GWS- Fayey bid
38. Melb- Howes
39. Geel- Long
40. WC- Conway
41. Coll- Dib bid
42. Adel- Motlop

Crows need Mids not another Defender lol

Thought I'd have a bit of fun and look into my crystal ball, please feel free to pick apart my list.

1. Horne-Francis: North take Jason without bidding on father-son prospects, giving him the prestige of being the No.1 pick.
2. Darcy (bid matched): GWS bid on the highest touted KPF in the draft, Bulldogs match without hesitation.
3. Andrews: Every phantom draft needs a bolter to keep things interesting and here it is. GWS take the versatile KPP in Mac, passing on adding to an already well stocked midfield. Taking into consideration their list managers comments I believe they will forgo making two consecutive bids with Daicos.
4. Daicos (bid matched): Nick surprisingly falls to Pick 4, Collingwood having already committed obviously matches.
5. Callaghan: Gold Coast catch a fantastic break with selecting Finn, giving them a fantastic young core around the ball.
6. Hobbs: Adelaide select the highly-rated Vic Country inside mid as they continue to refresh their list.
7. Ward: With Hawthorn supposedly shopping around their older players, I have them taking Josh as their heir-apparent upon Mitchell’s possible departure.
8. Erasmus: Fremantle go with WA’s best prospect as they look to Neil to replace Cerra’s numbers through the guts.
9. Rachele: The best small forward in the draft, Richmond can’t look past Josh’s X-Factor.
10. Gibcus: Freo don’t necessarily need another key defender but they take the BPA in Josh as he slides to pick 10.

Last edited:
Thought I'd have a bit of fun and look into my crystal ball, please feel free to pick apart my list.

1. Horne-Francis: North take Jason without bidding on father-son prospects, giving him the prestige of being the No.1 pick.
2. Darcy (bid matched): GWS bid on the highest touted KPF in the draft, Bulldogs match without hesitation.
3. Andrews: Every phantom draft needs a bolter to keep things interesting and here it is. GWS take the versatile KPP in Mac, passing on adding to an already well stocked midfield. Taking into consideration their list managers comments I believe they will forgo making two consecutive bids with Daicos.
4. Daicos (bid matched): Nick surprisingly falls to Pick 4, Collingwood having already committed obviously matches.
5. Callaghan: Gold Coast catch a fantastic break with selecting Finn, giving them a fantastic young core around the ball.
6. Hobbs: Adelaide select the highly-rated Vic Country inside mid as they continue to refresh their list.
7. Ward: With Hawthorn supposedly shopping around their older players, I have them taking Josh as their heir-apparent upon Mitchell’s possible departure.
8. Erasmus: Fremantle go with WA’s best prospect as they look to Neil to replace Cerra’s numbers through the guts.
9. Rachele: The best small forward in the draft, Richmond can’t look past Josh’s X-Factor.
10. Gibcus: Freo don’t necessarily need another key defender but they take the BPA in Neil as he slides to pick 10.

Not bad. I really want Ward.

Still think Freo would be silly to pass up the Erasmus/Amiss combo though.

10. Gibcus: Freo don’t necessarily need another key defender but they take the BPA in Josh as he slides to pick 10.
Don’t think bid for daicos would be that late GWS will bid if north dont

That would complete some incredible investment in our well stocked backline with Logue, Young, Chapman and Gibcus all high first round picks.

Plus of course Pearce, Cox and Hamling pretty much locked into the best 22 as talls, and Ryan, Walker and Wilson as the medium/smalls.

Don’t think bid for daicos would be that late GWS will bid if north dont
Yeah, quite possibly Caruso's mind just got changed with Bobby Hill's request for trade. Daicos would be great to start as a medium forward and then roll into the midfield in future, when a few guys move on. We still want a big guy long term, so I can see us bidding on Darcy, but if Lobb comes back also, then KPF/ruck probably drops back in importance.

Yeah, quite possibly Caruso's mind just got changed with Bobby Hill's request for trade. Daicos would be great to start as a medium forward and then roll into the midfield in future, when a few guys move on. We still want a big guy long term, so I can see us bidding on Darcy, but if Lobb comes back also, then KPF/ruck probably drops back in importance.

Collingwood's already given Daicos a 4 year deal, the only reason I see them bidding on Darcy is due to their list composition.

Collingwood's already given Daicos a 4 year deal, the only reason I see them bidding on Darcy is due to their list composition.
So what, no-one bids on Daicos because he has a contract stitched up?

Dogs will 100% match a bid on Darcy too.

Pies posters keep quoting Caruso from his RTTD appearance several weeks back, saying that GWS just don't bid for the sake of it, but on players who fit a need for GWS - making the example that he'd be more likely to bid on Darcy because we need his role. Well, now we also need Daicos' role. Ergo, don't count on GWS not bidding on Daicos.

So what, no-one bids on Daicos because he has a contract stitched up?

Dogs will 100% match a bid on Darcy too.

Pies posters keep quoting Caruso from his RTTD appearance several weeks back, saying that GWS just don't bid for the sake of it, but on players who fit a need for GWS - making the example that he'd be more likely to bid on Darcy because we need his role. Well, now we also need Daicos' role. Ergo, don't count on GWS not bidding on Daicos.

No, just the way you phrased made it sound like GWS would try and work on Daicos' development, which sounds weird when they won't get him in the first place. Whereas Darcy does indeed fit a need now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back