Prediction 2021 Draft Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who aren’t quite in a position to do a full phantom draft, but who would still like to have a go at predicting the draft, please use this thread to post your predictions :)

The current draft order is available in the pinned thread, here:

In accordance with board rules, phantom drafts which do not fulfil the requirements of a full first round using the current draft order (at time of posting), and preferably with a bit of explanation and willingness to explain your decisions, may also be merged into this thread.

Following the Trade Period, the current order for the first round of the draft is:

1. North Melbourne
  2. GWS Giants
  3. Gold Coast Suns
  4. Adelaide
  5. Hawthorn
  6. Fremantle
  7. Richmond
  8. Fremantle
  9. St Kilda
  10. West Coast Eagles
  11. Essendon
  12. Port Adelaide
  13. GWS Giants
  14. Brisbane Lions
  15. Richmond
  16. Sydney Swans
  17. Melbourne
  18. Brisbane Lions

Last edited:
No just the way you phrased made it sound like GWS would try and work on Daicos' development, which sounds weird when they wont' get him in the first place. Whereas Darcy does indeed fit a need now.
The description was just to demonstrate how GWS could use Daicos now that Bobby is leaving, i.e. the rationale as to why Daicos would fit a list need now, whereas he wouldn't have previously.

So what, no-one bids on Daicos because he has a contract stitched up?

Dogs will 100% match a bid on Darcy too.

Pies posters keep quoting Caruso from his RTTD appearance several weeks back, saying that GWS just don't bid for the sake of it, but on players who fit a need for GWS - making the example that he'd be more likely to bid on Darcy because we need his role. Well, now we also need Daicos' role. Ergo, don't count on GWS not bidding on Daicos.
Plus Dave Matthews has always had a chip on his shoulder about Collingwood so I reckon you can lock a bid in at 2 or 3 if North select JHF at 1

1.JHF-North Melbourne
2.Darcy-bid/GWS Match-WB
3.Andrew-GWS
4.Daicos-bid/GCS- Match Collingwood
5.Gibcus-GCS
6.Callaghan-Adelaide
7.Goater-Hawthorn
8.Erasmus-Fremantle
9.Hobbs-Richmond
10-Amiss-Fremantle
11.Ward-StKilda
12.Johnson-Westcoast
13.Sonsie-Essendon
14.Chesser-Sydney
15.Sinn-GWS
16.VanRooyen-Brisbane Lions
17.Rachele-Richmond
18.Roberts-Port
19.-Draper-Melbourne
20.Wanganeen Milera-Brisbane Lions

1.JHF-North Melbourne
2.Darcy-bid/GWS Match-WB
3.Andrew-GWS
5.Gibcus-GCS
6.Callaghan-Adelaide
7.Goater-Hawthorn
8.Erasmus-Fremantle
9.Hobbs-Richmond
10-Amiss-Fremantle
11.Ward-StKilda
12.Johnson-Westcoast
13.Sonsie-Essendon
14.Chesser-Sydney
15.Sinn-GWS
17.Rachele-Richmond
18.Roberts-Port
19.-Draper-Melbourne
NWM won’t get to 20

1.JHF-North Melbourne
2.Darcy-bid/GWS Match-WB
3.Andrew-GWS
5.Gibcus-GCS
6.Callaghan-Adelaide
7.Goater-Hawthorn
8.Erasmus-Fremantle
9.Hobbs-Richmond
10-Amiss-Fremantle
11.Ward-StKilda
12.Johnson-Westcoast
13.Sonsie-Essendon
14.Chesser-Sydney
15.Sinn-GWS
17.Rachele-Richmond
18.Roberts-Port
19.-Draper-Melbourne
It’s a big IF, but if Gold Coast are passing on Callaghan, I’m offering them 14 and our future first round pick for their pick and whichever future second round pick they want to kick back to us next year.

It’s a big IF, but if Gold Coast are passing on Callaghan, I’m offering them 14 and our future first round pick for their pick and whichever future second round pick they want to kick back to us next year.
So Gold coast gonna trade pick 3, for pick 14 and probly pick 15-18? With an early second going back to you, they would be incredibly bad deal for them. Essentially trading pick 3, for pick 14, as ur future first may a few places above their future second.

So Gold coast gonna trade pick 3, for pick 14 and probly pick 15-18? With an early second going back to you, they would be incredibly bad deal for them. Essentially trading pick 3, for pick 14, as ur future first may a few places above their future second.
No. I was proposing they trade pick 5 and which ever of their 3 future second round picks they currently hold for pick 16 and a future pick in the 15 to 18 range.

I doubt they would do it, and I would fully expect a few other teams with better draft capital to chase it as well.

1.JHF-North Melbourne
2.Darcy-bid/GWS Match-WB
3.Andrew-GWS
5.Gibcus-GCS
6.Callaghan-Adelaide
7.Goater-Hawthorn
8.Erasmus-Fremantle
9.Hobbs-Richmond
10-Amiss-Fremantle
11.Ward-StKilda
12.Johnson-Westcoast
13.Sonsie-Essendon
14.Chesser-Sydney
15.Sinn-GWS
17.Rachele-Richmond
18.Roberts-Port
19.-Draper-Melbourne
West Coast would take Rachele i say.

Just IMO but the Suns will take Callaghan if GWS don't (think they will) or Gibcus.

If GWS pass on him and the Suns don't want him I reckon Hawthorn will try to trade 3 for 5 and something. That's likely to be a better deal than anything Brisbane can do. Gain a decent pick somewhere else and still get Gibcus at 5 (can't see Adelaide taking him).

Last edited:
Just IMO but the Suns will take Callaghan if GWS don't (think they will) or Gibcus.

If GWS pass on him and the Suns don't want him I reckon Hawthorn with try to trade 3 for 5 and something. That's likely to be a better deal than anything Brisbane can do. Gain a decent pick somewhere else and still get Gibcus at 5 (can't see Adelaide taking him).
I agree with all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.JHF-North Melbourne
2.Darcy-bid/GWS Match-WB
3.Andrew-GWS
5.Gibcus-GCS
6.Callaghan-Adelaide
7.Goater-Hawthorn
8.Erasmus-Fremantle
9.Hobbs-Richmond
10-Amiss-Fremantle
11.Ward-StKilda
12.Johnson-Westcoast
13.Sonsie-Essendon
14.Chesser-Sydney
15.Sinn-GWS
17.Rachele-Richmond
18.Roberts-Port
19.-Draper-Melbourne
I, personally, cannot see Rachele or NWM lasting that long. I also dont think Roberts gets into the first round and I am hearing whispers that even Draper may fall out of the first round.

I, personally, cannot see Rachele or NWM lasting that long. I also dont think Roberts gets into the first round and I am hearing whispers that even Draper may fall out of the first round.
I originally had Rachele at Essendon but they’re now linked to Hill
Agree NWM goes higher but he just fell to pick 20 in my phantom draft as I rated those higher

Other than that thoughts?

Last edited:
I originally had Rachele at Essendon but they’re now linked to Hill
Agree NWM goes higher but he just feel to pick 20 in my phantom draft as I rated those higher

Other than that thoughts?
If he is there, i think Hawks take Hobbs given they delisted Cousins and maybe looking at moving on Tom Mitchell to create a young blank slate for Coach Sam. If that's the case then Richmond would take Amiss for development to cover the loss of CCJ and Chol, or Ward to help out a young midfield, which would change a few things up in your phantom after that.
It is also interesting to see who Melbourne will be after, did they trade back in to match an Andrew pick (to develop him over Gawn's last years) and then select 2 more at the back of the draft or do they have someone else in mind??
I also think this year will be huge in 'live, on night/in draft pick trading', which will seriously f*** up all our phantom drafts :tearsofjoy:

If he is there, i think Hawks take Hobbs given they delisted Cousins and maybe looking at moving on Tom Mitchell to create a young blank slate for Coach Sam. If that's the case then Richmond would take Amiss for development to cover the loss of CCJ and Chol, or Ward to help out a young midfield, which would change a few things up in your phantom after that.
It is also interesting to see who Melbourne will be after, did they trade back in to match an Andrew pick (to develop him over Gawn's last years) and then select 2 more at the back of the draft or do they have someone else in mind??
I also think this year will be huge in 'live, on night/in draft pick trading', which will seriously f*** up all our phantom drafts :tearsofjoy:

Highly doubt Hawks take Hobbs to many of the same in their midfield, Titch if he doesn't leave, Newcombe, Worpel, Mcguiness

Highly doubt Hawks take Hobbs to many of the same in their midfield, Titch if he doesn't leave, Newcombe, Worpel, Mcguiness
This is all a hypothetical on THIS phantom draft remember...
Maginness is nothing like the others, and it was a hypothetical if Titch leaves.
Newcombe is your defensive midfielder and best 2-way runner in the middle, Worpel is the only one which Hobbs is similar too and I would take Hobbs everyday over Worpel as he is a much better decision maker and already a great leader and very vocal on the inside.
I do see your point of view though, to a degree, and my thoughts are that if available the Hawks will go for (in order) Callaghan, Erasmus, Hobbs, Rachele, Amiss and dont rule out Sonsie but i think Goater is too much of a reach in this phantom and cannot see him going this high. He may be a good fit and therefore a possible trade back a few spots on the night could be in order.

This is all a hypothetical on THIS phantom draft remember...
Maginness is nothing like the others, and it was a hypothetical if Titch leaves.
Newcombe is your defensive midfielder and best 2-way runner in the middle, Worpel is the only one which Hobbs is similar too and I would take Hobbs everyday over Worpel as he is a much better decision maker and already a great leader and very vocal on the inside.
I do see your point of view though, to a degree, and my thoughts are that if available the Hawks will go for (in order) Callaghan, Erasmus, Hobbs, Rachele, Amiss and dont rule out Sonsie but i think Goater is too much of a reach in this phantom and cannot see him going this high. He may be a good fit and therefore a possible trade back a few spots on the night could be in order.
No Ward?

Imagine completely leaving out Ward. One of Callaghan, Ward, Erasmus or Hobbs will be available and we will take them in that order. Goater's kicking is beyond awful, Sonsie is too inconsistent to take a flyer on at 5 (7), and quite frankly those listed are the best players available. Hobbs is slow, but I can see him at half forward while he builds. He is a better mark than our other big mids and I think he could go alright developing in the forward line. Erasmus is definetly a half forward for the first years of his career, similar to Petracca (without making a player comparison, just the role) but his lack of quality footy and the go home factor have weened me off him. Ward is a gun and should be top 4 in my opinion, Callaghan is also just special. I have gone on about Ward a lot before, but every time I see him play I question why people don't like him more. Racks up disposals, gets a ton of inside 50s, clearances and score involvements and is a dedicated defensive runner. Also started to show his potential forward, but I'll admit he isn't as versatile as the others. Just a complete player, I will be fuming if we pass on him unless Callaghan is there.

Imagine completely leaving out Ward. One of Callaghan, Ward, Erasmus or Hobbs will be available and we will take them in that order. Goater's kicking is beyond awful, Sonsie is too inconsistent to take a flyer on at 5 (7), and quite frankly those listed are the best players available. Hobbs is slow, but I can see him at half forward while he builds. He is a better mark than our other big mids and I think he could go alright developing in the forward line. Erasmus is definetly a half forward for the first years of his career, similar to Petracca (without making a player comparison, just the role) but his lack of quality footy and the go home factor have weened me off him. Ward is a gun and should be top 4 in my opinion, Callaghan is also just special. I have gone on about Ward a lot before, but every time I see him play I question why people don't like him more. Racks up disposals, gets a ton of inside 50s, clearances and score involvements and is a dedicated defensive runner. Also started to show his potential forward, but I'll admit he isn't as versatile as the others. Just a complete player, I will be fuming if we pass on him unless Callaghan is there.
as i said, Ward was suppose to be in there. I rate Ward too, and agree...Callaghan first if available. FYI I currently have Ward going to the Hawks in my phantom which will be posted after trades finish up and we get draft positions*
*excluding draft night pick swaps

Last edited:
as i said, Ward was suppose to be in there. I rate Ward too, and agree...Callaghan first if available. FYI I currently have Ward going to the Hawks in my phantom which will be posted after trades finish up and we get draft positions*
*excluding draft night pick swaps
A REAL draft expert would have a phantom draft that automatically updates and predicts live trades and matched bids.

Jokes aside, I do think Ward is the perfect fit for Hawthorn and is only eclipsed by Callaghan's potential X-Factor. Its a shame the Chad deal didn't go through and we were somehow able to get pick 2, Ward and Callaghan might actually hospitalised me from excitement.

See…..nobody picked it up. 🤦🏽

Remove this Banner Ad

Back