List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Prospects

May get eaten up with Sam Darcy !
He's not quick by foot. I suspect he tests slow at the combine and drifts in the rankings.

With our team pretty much set for the next 4 years

Feel like this draft will be our long term project draft

Bring in players that can spend 2-3 years of VFL developing their skills while our core 15 players keep us going

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With our team pretty much set for the next 4 years

Feel like this draft will be our long term project draft

Bring in players that can spend 2-3 years of VFL developing their skills while our core 15 players keep us going
Have to agree. No outright glaring weaknesses in the short term that can be fixed via draft (i.e. ideally need to recruit KPD and ruck for post-Martin in the trade period). Also no key retirements coming up in the next couple of years. Martin will be replaced by Sweet, Wood can be replaced by Khamis. Duryea will probably still be going for another 3 years or so, which gives us plenty of time to find a reasonable small defender.

I'd be looking to recruit another ruck prospect to develop in the VFL like Sweet has been. Another key defender would be nice (considering we have no depth there, and both Young and Cordy are unreliable). If we move on Cavarra, I'd look out for a developing small forward, given that West and Garcia should be looking at midfield roles rather than traditional small forwards.

Have to agree. No outright glaring weaknesses in the short term that can be fixed via draft (i.e. ideally need to recruit KPD and ruck for post-Martin in the trade period). Also no key retirements coming up in the next couple of years. Martin will be replaced by Sweet, Wood can be replaced by Khamis. Duryea will probably still be going for another 3 years or so, which gives us plenty of time to find a reasonable small defender.
Ewan McPherson? Has spent some of his junior career behind the ball. Not a fleet-footed rebounder so may actually be able to defend

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ewan McPherson? Has spent some of his junior career behind the ball. Not a fleet-footed rebounder so may actually be able to defend
Hope he plays more minutes in defence. We really have zero need for a relatively vanilla midfielder, but can definitely see a role for him long term in defence.

We're pretty lucky this year with the guys tied to us. As Vital mentioned further up, there's not really any immediate needs for us from a drafting perspective as our team is starting to settle. Outside of recruiting a KPD in the trade period, we can be fairly flexible in the draft. The great bit is that among the ideal picks for us to develop long term would be:

KPD (Sam Darcy, FS) - could end up a ruck or KPF
Small Forward (Blake Scott, NGA)
Small Defender (Ewan Macpherson?, FS)

Ideally we'd just take best available with our 1st pick (unless we'd traded it already) then match bids on the rest of the kids, and we'd have covered everything. Would mean we have someone developing in the twos in basically every position on the field.

Hope he plays more minutes in defence. We really have zero need for a relatively vanilla midfielder, but can definitely see a role for him long term in defence.

We're pretty lucky this year with the guys tied to us. As Vital mentioned further up, there's not really any immediate needs for us from a drafting perspective as our team is starting to settle. Outside of recruiting a KPD in the trade period, we can be fairly flexible in the draft. The great bit is that among the ideal picks for us to develop long term would be:

KPD (Sam Darcy, FS) - could end up a ruck or KPF
Small Forward (Blake Scott, NGA)
Small Defender (Ewan Macpherson?, FS)

Ideally we'd just take best available with our 1st pick (unless we'd traded it already) then match bids on the rest of the kids, and we'd have covered everything. Would mean we have someone developing in the twos in basically every position on the field.
That would be nice - even if Martin goes on for one more year I'd still be tempted to rookie another ruck. Martin isn't a week to week proposition (and certainly not next year), English looks much better suited to the number 2 role and far too much would rest on Sweet to ruck week in, week out even though he's 'promising but developing' to me. Suns, Saints and Essendon have all been found out for ruck depth this year and it seems 3 rucks on a main list just isn't enough cover anymore. Swans are damn lucky that Hickey is playing out of his skin too.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Going by the AFL exchange show on the AFL site, They are raving about Darcy big time, saying could be top 10, saying he is a forward more then a ruck atm, and is highly skilled.

His acceleration isn’t great but the rest is good-great for his size. Is 3 years minimum from having the size to play AFL.... I can’t see him going first round considering how long you need to wait for him to be ready.

This draft year is really even outside of the top 5. After that, you could potentially draft someone at 40, that you rate in the top 10.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
His acceleration isn’t great but the rest is good-great for his size. Is 3 years minimum from having the size to play AFL.... I can’t see him going first round considering how long you need to wait for him to be ready.

This draft year is really even outside of the top 5. After that, you could potentially draft someone at 40, that you rate in the top 10.
Time will tell I guess.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Going by the AFL exchange show on the AFL site, They are raving about Darcy big time, saying could be top 10, saying he is a forward more then a ruck atm, and is highly skilled.
Yeah heard that. Cal Twomey is a pretty seasoned draft watcher and he made a huge plug for him on the podcast, suggesting he kicked 4 or 5 good goals.

Are we guaranteed to get him or is there a new rule that protects top 20 picks?

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah heard that. Cal Twomey is a pretty seasoned draft watcher and he made a huge plug for him on the podcast, suggesting he kicked 4 or 5 good goals.

Are we guaranteed to get him or is there a new rule that protects top 20 picks?

The rule's for academy kids, doesn't apply for father-sons, so we're good.

The protection of the Father-Sons will help the academy players, since there are 5-6 fathers sons that could go in the first round

Thus pushing some acadmey players into the protected bidding zone for one year

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Has anyone had eyes on Sam Darcy at one of his recent games? Twomey was describing him as very Englishesque. Does that sound right?

Claythesmiths

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Is there an U18 Championship this year? Feels like it usually kicks off around June but I haven’t heard anything of it.

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
If Darcy does keep developing and we've got another top 10 tall, locked in and all ours for a bargain, there are going to be some serious melts from some in the media. Delicious.
ive got a suspicion he by the end of the year he will rocket up where he is rated, and you will see the melts big time after JUH last year.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
ive got a suspicion he by the end of the year he will rocket up where he is rated, and you will see the melts big time after JUH last year.
As if we haven't been blessed enough through father son, the icing on the cake once the melts start is that Sam Darcy rhymes with damn arsey.

Back