List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Prospects

He is about 195cm and has been played full back for Tassie. It is all about bulking him up really. Will Splann looks like a good player too but not for us as we have enough KPF's on our list at the moment.
Jordan Croft in our FS pipeline also projects as a KPF at this stage

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Anyone want to do a Dogs board phantom draft this year? We did one a couple years ago where I picked for Freo and got Mitch Georgiades in the 40s, that was cool

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is about 195cm and has been played full back for Tassie. It is all about bulking him up really. Will Splann looks like a good player too but not for us as we have enough KPF's on our list at the moment.

I haven’t seen a lot of the devils boys tbh, I thought baker was early 190s so slightly undersized but must have grown by the sounds of that. Don’t know much about will but was coached by his old man, who was a key defender so he mustn’t be following in his old mans foot steps

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Paul Curtis from the Western Jets sounds interesting described as a match winning small forward with X-factor and smarts. Anyone seen him play?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Paul Curtis from the Western Jets sounds interesting described as a match winning small forward with X-factor and smarts. Anyone seen him play?

The AFL needs some more traditional names like: Paul, Vincent, Rohan.

None of this Bailey nonsense!

hatescaptcha

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
Truganina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m still really keen on Jesse Motlop, would fit perfectly in our forward set up. But think we would need to muster up a pick in the 20’s to land him.

bobs head soup

Peanuts Peanuts
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gotta say I'm a bit confused about Sam Darcy. Up until this season he was generally described as a latish pick/rookie type prospect who hadn't done a whole lot that got anyone too excited.

This year he gets thrown forward, tears it up, kicks bags showing real forward craft, kicking goals in all kinds of ways and rockets to a unanimous top 2-4 standout.

Despite this, we are constantly told he'll be a 204cm+ kpd.

Don't get it.

Footy is a funny thing, all through the Rocket years we were crying out for a FF. We made top four three years in a row, and our lack of a power full forward hurt us. We watched Nick Riewoldt, Stevie J, Cloke, Franklin and Roughead kill us and stop us going past a prelim. We were told, power FF were players you got through father sons or the first five picks in the draft. We would draft great white hopes and pile expectations on them to see the weight of them eventually kill the player, metaphorically. Poor Johno, a talented midfielder had to sacrifice his game to play as our full forward.

Now we have FFs coming from everywhere. Marra, Naughton, Darcy, Bruce and our biggest problem is a mobile powerful ruck, who we are told are once in a generation players.….

Gotta say I'm a bit confused about Sam Darcy. Up until this season he was generally described as a latish pick/rookie type prospect who hadn't done a whole lot that got anyone too excited.

This year he gets thrown forward, tears it up, kicks bags showing real forward craft, kicking goals in all kinds of ways and rockets to a unanimous top 2-4 standout.

Despite this, we are constantly told he'll be a 204cm+ kpd.

Don't get it.
His first few games for the Chargers this were as an intercepting KPD. It's where he first burst onto scout radars (and Daicos is also a Chargers boy so none of those kids have been able to cough without someone watching and taking notes). He went forward at school level then a few rep games.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Now we have FFs coming from everywhere. Marra, Naughton, Darcy, Bruce and our biggest problem is a mobile powerful ruck, who we are told are once in a generation players.….

Interestingly our TOC had 5 great ruckmen (3 Brownlow medallists) in the 24 named players.
Schultz was relatively mobile, but not really powerful, named in the back pocket.
Dempsey named first ruck, strong ruckman, kicked the occasional goal and for a big fella covered a lot of ground in his hey day.
On the bench was Wynd, who as great as he was, was nowhere near as mobile as his understudy Darcy.

The two historical players that would fit the "mobile, strong and could go forward and kick goals" tag were Ware and Olliver, also on the bench.

For the way our team plays under Bevo, Norm Ware would be the ultimate model - strong in the ruck, and around the ground, and 220 goals in a war-interrupted 200 game career. Including 51 goals in 15 games in 1942, the year after he won the Brownlow in 1941 as the premier ruckman in the league. As captain-coach in 1942, he delegated the ruck to several lesser mortals (one of which conveniently was young Arthur Olliver) throughout the season, and filled the gaping hole as stand-in full forward, managing to get us to only our second ever finals series since joining the VFL. At 193cm and the same height as Bont, was considered tall for his era!

1634524848130.png

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Andrew Pursar was only 193cm when he rucked for us during the 80s.

He was, and not exactly endowed with a great leap either, just read the ball extremely well, did a lot of body work and had a decent amount of mobility. Interestingly when we made the finals in 85, we weren't the only team with a shorter ruck. North used Lisle, McCann and McDonald, who were 193, 191 and 191 as well, Saints had Allan Sidebottom as their primary ruck all year, also 193. The majority of primary rucks were b/w 198 and 200 anyway, so he wasn't as much of an outlier as he appeared, with the extreme outliers at the taller end being Justin Madden and Paul Salmon.

Even in 87 in his last season, Purser was competing against some other shorter rucks in Mickan (Bears) 196, Cloke (Pies) 196, and Mossop (North) 196 (with McCann and McDonald also still active as backup rucks at North). And Cousins arrived as his backup that year at 196 as well, and after Purser left became our #1 ruck in 88 with a single game cameo from Wynd in Cousin's absence (with Brenton Vilcins as #1 ruck in that game at 191cm!).

Sorry Mofra, as usual I take a minor reference and I'm off!

Essendon and Fremantle look likely to use four selections, while Sydney, West Coast, the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood are all expected to use three or four picks at the draft.

Interestingly our TOC had 5 great ruckmen (3 Brownlow medallists) in the 24 named players.
Schultz was relatively mobile, but not really powerful, named in the back pocket.
Dempsey named first ruck, strong ruckman, kicked the occasional goal and for a big fella covered a lot of ground in his hey day.
On the bench was Wynd, who as great as he was, was nowhere near as mobile as his understudy Darcy.

The two historical players that would fit the "mobile, strong and could go forward and kick goals" tag were Ware and Olliver, also on the bench.

For the way our team plays under Bevo, Norm Ware would be the ultimate model - strong in the ruck, and around the ground, and 220 goals in a war-interrupted 200 game career. Including 51 goals in 15 games in 1942, the year after he won the Brownlow in 1941 as the premier ruckman in the league. As captain-coach in 1942, he delegated the ruck to several lesser mortals (one of which conveniently was young Arthur Olliver) throughout the season, and filled the gaping hole as stand-in full forward, managing to get us to only our second ever finals series since joining the VFL. At 193cm and the same height as Bont, was considered tall for his era!

View attachment 1262828
If you go by the rule of thumb that the average height of the population (males at least, not sure if the same for females) has been increasing 1cm every 10 years for the last 100 or more then Ware would be equivalent to a 201cm player today.

John Nicholls was a dominant Carlton ruckman of the 1960s and early 70s and was included in the AFL TOC. He was only 189cm.

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
If you go by the rule of thumb that the average height of the population (males at least, not sure if the same for females) has been increasing 1cm every 10 years for the last 100 or more then Ware would be equivalent to a 201cm player today.

John Nicholls was a dominant Carlton ruckman of the 1960s and early 70s and was included in the AFL TOC. He was only 189cm.

Thanks dogwatch. Imagine what footy will look like in a 100 years, teams will be fielding batches of Tim English/Peter Street/Mason Cox! Will there be a future equivalent of Caleb Daniel running between their legs in the RWB?

'Big Nick' would also make the TOC for players who served time in the 'nick'! Although he's in a fairly small 'club' who served time during their playing career.

Funnily enough, Norm Ware was hot property in Gippsland when he caught the eye of most VFL clubs. From memory, I read an interview with him years ago where he came to Melbourne by train expecting to be met at Flinders Street by Carlton officials. Instead some of the WO's finest swooped on the young ruckman, and the rest is history! Wasn't an unusual occurrence in that era, the book 'Bloodstained Angels' about South Melbourne's 1930s 'foreign legion' documents a few instances of interstate players arriving at Flinders Street expecting to be met by officials from one club, only for another to get there first. Archie Crofts, the entrepeneurial South president and grocery tycoon, held an upper hand in that era, as he could offer the recruits both a football wage and employment in his grocery empire. Crofts would have fitted in perfectly in 1980s/1990s Carlton, alongside Elliott and Pratt!
(Apologies, my tangents and propensity to follow them have got the better of me again. :))

Edit: off topic I know, but this book is a ripping read if anyone is interested and can find a copy. Focusses on South Melbourne in the 1930s decade, but lots of great research and footy history:

1634699003599.png

Bloodstained Angels; the Rise and fall of the Foreign Legion Paperback – January 1, 1995
by Mark Branagan and Mike Lefebvre

Last edited:

scooter600x

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2003
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thanks dogwatch. Imagine what footy will look like in a 100 years, teams will be fielding batches of Tim English/Peter Street/Mason Cox! Will there be a future equivalent of Caleb Daniel running between their legs in the RWB?

'Big Nick' would also make the TOC for players who served time in the 'nick'! Although he's in a fairly small 'club' who served time during their playing career.

Funnily enough, Norm Ware was hot property in Gippsland when he caught the eye of most VFL clubs. From memory, I read an interview with him years ago where he came to Melbourne by train expecting to be met at Flinders Street by Carlton officials. Instead some of the WO's finest swooped on the young ruckman, and the rest is history! Wasn't an unusual occurrence in that era, the book 'Bloodstained Angels' about South Melbourne's 1930s 'foreign legion' documents a few instances of interstate players arriving at Flinders Street expecting to be met by officials from one club, only for another to get there first. Archie Crofts, the entrepeneurial South president and grocery tycoon, held an upper hand in that era, as he could offer the recruits both a football wage and employment in his grocery empire. Crofts would have fitted in perfectly in 1980s/1990s Carlton, alongside Elliott and Pratt!
(Apologies, my tangents and propensity to follow them have got the better of me again. :))

Edit: off topic I know, but this book is a ripping read if anyone is interested and can find a copy. Focusses on South Melbourne in the 1930s decade, but lots of great research and footy history:

View attachment 1264324

Bloodstained Angels; the Rise and fall of the Foreign Legion Paperback – January 1, 1995
by Mark Branagan and Mike Lefebvre
Alex Jesaulenko was one we lost that exact way.
Roger Duffy or Ron Stockman, one of the ‘54 team, saw Jezza play in ACT and recommended him to Whitten. Carlton pretty much kidnapped him.

Alex Jesaulenko was one we lost that exact way.
Roger Duffy or Ron Stockman, one of the ‘54 team, saw Jezza play in ACT and recommended him to Whitten. Carlton pretty much kidnapped him.
We stole Wynd and Libba from North.
Swings and roundabouts

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
We stole Wynd and Libba from North.
Swings and roundabouts

Agree we stole Wynd, I think North didn't see Liber going far, didn't someone there think reserves was his ceiling, particularly in reference to his height? Shows what you can become if rejected the first time!

I think we pinched Charlie Sutton too, Spotswood was in South's zone in those days, and FFC pulled some shenanigans.

scooter600x

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2003
Behind the goals, Geelong Rd end
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we pinched Charlie Sutton too, Spotswood was in South's zone in those days, and FFC pulled some shenanigans.
We signed Charlie on the last day before he would have been tied to South. We went to his house and his mum said he was at the pictures so we went to the Sun Cinema in Yarraville, got them to stop the movie, turned on the lights, found Charlie and got him to sign

willofwest

Team Captain
Sep 1, 2007
williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Would like to see him Rookie listed has good size and can take a grab. His development could seriously spike in a full time football program. It would also be a another great story for our VFL development pathway.
Have to agree,watched a couple of the Footscray games and I thought he played very well. Good positioning and a neat kick.

Back