List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Using 1 of 44 list spots to reward VFL players for strong development isn’t gonna destroy our club.

In fact, it’s the opposite. It creates a great path for overlooked youngsters who want to try again at making a career of it.

If I was a young player looking for a VFL club, Footscray would be at the top of my list. With our history of recruiting through our VFL side.

Can only strengthen the club from the VFL up, being a destination club.
Yep it’s clearly a strategy. I’ve said before on here I expect we will take Footscray player every year.

Parker looks fantastic, reckon he’s earmarked for that tall marking wing role we’re desperate for (rolling the likes of Jong, Hannan through its obvious we want someone that mould).

McComb is a genuinely shocking pick and a bit of a waste but not gonna lose sleep over the last pick on the list (with Raak a handy bonus) but let’s be honest surely ruck depth here would have been fine? Hell even if it was a Footscray bloke if it had to be, or even just keeping the spot open and assessing the ruck situation early next year and leaving the spot for the midseason draft, but anyway.

Overall I’m stoked with our haul, and remember there’s no point pigeonholing these guys into the positions they played juniors in, guarantee we’ve got different roles earmarked for most

Disappointed. Needed a few big bodies.
We have enough young kids developing trying to be ready for the physicality of AFL. I can't see where we addressed the massacre that was the GF.
You have to be prepared to identify and solve your weaknesses before you can become successful.

We have enough young kids developing trying to be ready for the physicality of AFL. I can't see where we addressed the massacre that was the GF.
You have to be prepared to identify and solve your weaknesses before you can become successful.
To be fair Melbourne were kissed on the dick all year with no injuries and lost their fitness guru. They're not going to do what they did again

Parker’s 24 and has played one season of SANFL for 13 disposals a game. That’s a smokey if ever I’ve seen one. We needed a tall utility though. Van Der Heuvel instead of McComb would have been good.
Van Der didn't out his name in the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rookie Ruckman, KPD mature agers toplug and play.
After the GF massacre, every doggies supporter can clearly see we need both for depth and development. Have these positions been addressed?:mad:
There were posters here who were adamant about not picking up ruck support at trade time.
I disagreed with them, but can't be bothered going down that rabbit hole again. I just hope we can get our ruck division through the season.

Although I agree we should've at least drafted another tall, the GF was lost purely and simply in the middle. Our centre setups were just mind boggling along with no recognisable fit ruckman.

Sweet is the key to our success in 2022 and if he can improve to at least be serviceable for four quarters our midfield should be able to do the rest.

Last edited:
To be fair Melbourne were kissed on the dick all year with no injuries and lost their fitness guru. They're not going to do what they did again
Definitely kissed on the dick by a fairy, but I absolutely think they can do it again.
Statistically, they have had no losses to any of their best 22, and there appeared no weaknesses in their last 2 games where they destroyed the cats and us.
Unless the other top 3 contenders improved( cats, dogs, or Port) which I haven't seen evidence of, what's to stop them other than a spate of injuries.

Definitely kissed on the dick by a fairy, but I absolutely think they can do it again.
Statistically, they have had no losses to any of their best 22, and there appeared no weaknesses in their last 2 games where they destroyed the cats and us.
Unless the other top 3 contenders improved( cats, dogs, or Port) which I haven't seen evidence of, what's to stop them other than a spate of injuries.
Probably only us, Brisbane and a Richmond renaissance could stop them.

Not unhappy with our draft outcome. Obviously stoked to have gotten Sam Darcy and no matter what else happened that was a massive win considering we made the GF but still got a player ranked in the top 4 of the draft and really rated the best tall player in the draft this year.
The pick of Arthur Jones I loved also. The sort of X factor that lots of other teams have with the indigenous boys is something that we lack. He looks like he has good skills, he is quick and his time trials indicate that he has great endurance. Very happy with all of that.
The remaining picks I don’t really understand as they didn’t seem to reflect skills or positions that we currently lack on the list. I would have liked another KPD but if the club scouts just didn’t think there was one available who would make a difference then I presume they have drafted who they think are the best kids available and given the amount of football they watch relative to me I’m happy to back them in.
However it is clear now that we are relying on more internal development from Tim English, Jordan Sweet, Ryan Gardner and Buku Khamis in order to fill those holes that are in the list for the next 12-24 months because Sam Darcy will take time to develop and we don’t have any other options.

Go the mighty doggies in 2022 and beyond!!

Out of our six picks, three I'm very pleased with (Darcy, Jones, and Raak), two I'm curious to see how they go (Cleary and Parker), and one I just don't like at all. Not a reflection at all on McComb as a person or even a player, but I don't understand what role he could play in our AFL side.

Love the Jones pick. Not overly excited by Cleary but the Bedendo pick didn't excite me either and he's looked great in the VFL so far.

Not sure what people wanted in terms of talls. Between Darcy and Raak, we've got a ruck and a KPD in this draft. I really don't think Darcy ends up a defender, more likely another English type player.

Parker and Cleary I have no idea about so will withhold judgement for now. Only pick I'm somewhat disappointed by is McComb, but recruiters must think he can have instant impact like Scott did (even if he's still fringe).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back