Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

On the side of reality.

Right now what port players would I trade pick 1 to obtain if we didn’t have them?

Butters, and only if he clears a medical….

That’s it.

I’m not even trading pick 1 for rozee right now. Georgiades? Top 5 yes, 1? No. Wines? Hell No. Houston ? Not even close.

Horne has port connections through family and trained with us (or will train with us). Hopefully we can lure him back to us after he gets drafted.

Thinking that we can magically trade into pick 1 (when was the last time pick 1 was traded?) is fantasy.

I would rather focus on what we can do in this draft ie add jase Burgoyne and other talents than what we can’t do.. which is magic.

I believe it has only been done once. Freo traded it to Hawthorn in 2001 for Trent Croad, which the Hawks used on Luke Hodge (plus another pick that also netted Sam Mitchell), and Croad was traded back to Hawthorn 2 years later for pick 10, which Freo used to select Ryley Dunn.

Probably why it hasn't been done since haha.

I believe it has only been done once. Freo traded it to Hawthorn in 2001 for Trent Croad, which the Hawks used on Luke Hodge (plus another pick that also netted Sam Mitchell), and Croad was traded back to Hawthorn 2 years later for pick 10, which Freo used to select Ryley Dunn.

I'm surprised Fremantle's AFL license wasn't taken away for that shambles.

I vaguely remember Croad went in for ankle surgery and when he came around he was told he had been traded to Fremantle.

I vaguely remember Croad went in for ankle surgery and when he came around he was told he had been traded to Fremantle.

That era seems to be packed with stories of hawthorns dodgy practices. The hays one is famously bad. That they got away with it without even copping so much as a stern word and to this day somehow get flouted as the “family club” by the Vic boys club media is a bit sickening.

I'm surprised Fremantle's AFL license wasn't taken away for that shambles.

They got a pretty good player in Croad and a top 10 pick from 2 years earlier in some kid name Luke McPharlin, who would probably have little impact at the club.

Looks horrible in hindsight but at the time it was a pretty fair trade.

Croad had played nearly 90 games, was still only 21 and was in the top few young KPP in the game. Former pick 3. Had proven to be a very good defender who could swing forward and kick a bag of goals. He was a massive prospect. Mcpharlin had bucket loads of talent, was a former top 10 pick but had some injury issues stopping him from playing too much in his first two years.

They were trying to set themselves up with generational KPP talent as they already had 3 highly drafted KPP kids. Set and forget for a generation with Croad, Pav, Longmuir, Mcpharlin & Brown all 21 and under, all top 10 draft picks.

Problem was they tried to turn Croad into a full forward. And he didnt want to go. And he turned up fat and out of shape because he didnt want to go. And he walked out after 2 years back to his original club where he became the player he should have been at Freo. Brown left for Vic at the same time as Crowd. Longmuir never really improved beyond a B-movie Westhoff level.

The other problem was that they gave up pick 1 and change to make it happen, but some of the change ended up being Sam Mitchell who went from fat, slow kid who'd been undrafted twice to Rising Star winner and Hall of Famer. And Hodge.

Not sure what the modern day equivalent would be. Maybe Ben King and Luko. Maybe Naughton and English. I'd trade pick 1 for that.

Didn’t Freo also trade Andrew McLeod for some bloke who lasted about 8 games and 1 season?

Chris Groom yeah. He's become a punchline now but its a bit unfair on him. He was a star junior, and was rated as Adelaides CHF in waiting when he got traded.

He averaged more goals per game for Freo in their first season than any other player so not sure why they delisted him so quick at the end of that year.

The bulldogs have had an extraordinary amount of luck when it comes to father son/academy pre selections, but that doesn't mean it isn't a raw deal for most other (interstate) clubs who don't have zoned academies.

Adelaide and us haven't had many players come through those channels at all.

The Bulldogs list is terrifying for opposition.

They already have Naughton, who is a powerhouse as a young, leaping key forward.
Ugle-Hagan + Naughton is an almighty combination to have for the next decade.

English as a ten+ year ruck prospect.

Then a midfield, which will have the Bont, McRae and Bailey Smith for years to come.

For us, we need to add two long-term mids to our mix and a key defender. Then we can start dreaming around what to do with our key forwards. Hopefully one of MG or Todd will make it big.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cause the nga academy rules are different for each state and the Sa clubs got screwed in thet our rules give us sh*t fu** all access to any prospects.

by other clubs rules rankine would have been an nga to one of the Sa clubs. Same as Milera.

Thankfully they've changed it so you can only get them second round or later from this year and even later than that from next year. Total rort.

The Bulldogs list is terrifying for opposition.

They already have Naughton, who is a powerhouse as a young, leaping key forward.
Ugle-Hagan + Naughton is an almighty combination to have for the next decade.

English as a ten+ year ruck prospect.

Then a midfield, which will have the Bont, McRae and Bailey Smith for years to come.

For us, we need to add two long-term mids to our mix and a key defender. Then we can start dreaming around what to do with our key forwards. Hopefully one of MG or Todd will make it big.
Bulldogs fielded the best midfield in the comp over the weekend ... and they still have Dunkley & Treloar to come back. Absolutely frightening!

The beginning of the under-19s championships was also set to be played at Metricon Stadium next Thursday between Vic Metro and the Allies, however all games will be rescheduled due to the growing COVID-19 restrictions around the country.

The end of the under-17s championships was set to see recruiters from every AFL club head to Queensland, with player agents from around the country also booked in to attend to scout the next generation of talent.

However the AFL will now look to amend the fixture and play the remaining games of the under-17 carnival at a later date, with the Flying Boomerangs match for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men to also be rescheduled.

We have to draft Josh Gibcus because his surname backwards is Suc Big. Don't tell me kids at school didn't pick up on that straight away. He would have to one tough mother*er after all the fights he would have been in.

Whoever has the #1 pick will have fun bidding on father son picks and blowing up Collingwood and Bulldog's draft capital.

Hopefully Aliir gets into our recruiters ear about Mac Andrew, get him down back.

Melbourne NGA, may not get the chance to get him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back