Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Bergman yes. Houston and Duursma are already showing they are part of the next guard. Trading them would be more hollowing out the middle of our list.
100% agree mate and I wouldn't do it either, but the reality is that's likely what's needed to get pick # 1 and the best kid in the land.

We have Boak R Gray Rockliff all coming to the end. We need to continue to invest in the future. Horne is going to be an absolute gun and we have been ballsy before in trading Wingard, Polec and Howard to get high up in drafts. I am not saying we should, I am just curious whether we think it would be worth it.

As a suggestion (and i would never do it), but what if North came and said we will give you pick 1 for our first and one of Houston/Duursma/Bergman?
Bergman just wouldn't happen not worth pick one or even a top ten at this stage even with our first going back, Duursma probably not worth it but even if he was that just sends us back a couple of years and Houston is one of our next leaders and already top 5 in his position in the afl you don't trade those guys for an 18 year old.

Obviously our next generation midfield is in flux atm but I see Butters, Duursma, Houston and Drew as a big part it and I don't think we need to sell the farm for it. I would be open to free agents and trading for players between 21 and 26 years olds with our draft picks and older players with whom we have replacements for eg lycett. When we traded dougal we had to get aliir as a replacement that set us back a year, when we traded Polec and wingard we had to wait for duursma and butters and rozee to get a year or two into them.

Im all for blooding our current group of next gen mids Butters, Duursma, Mead, Drew and SPP obviously we need to find a match winner when Boak finally retires but we don't know when that will be.

100% agree mate and I wouldn't do it either, but the reality is that's likely what's needed to get pick # 1 and the best kid in the land.

If we had selected Bergman at pick 1 and he was tracking like he is this year (if this was his first year due to covid etc. ) then you would feel pretty comfortable that you chose OK.

Hey Macca - is Horne that good that you would look to move out our first pick plus a top quality player to try and get a look at him?

He should go pick 1. What donyou trade to get pick 1? Someone would want our first plus Rozee at least. Probably not worth it

Ladhams + 2021 1st + 2022 1st for pick 1. That's essentially 3 late firsts for pick 1 which is a reasonable trade.

The player we would take at pick 1 would have to be a difference maker and be able to replace Boak/Gray. I think I trust our recruiters to use our picks rather than trade them all for pick 1. My preference would be to trade someone out and grab another 1st and keep stacking the team with as many 1st round picks as we can.

Ladhams + 2021 1st + 2022 1st for pick 1. That's essentially 3 late firsts for pick 1 which is a reasonable trade.

The player we would take at pick 1 would have to be a difference maker and be able to replace Boak/Gray. I think I trust our recruiters to use our picks rather than trade them all for pick 1. My preference would be to trade someone out and grab another 1st and keep stacking the team with as many 1st round picks as we can.

Ludicrous. There is not much difference in the top 10 players.

Nick Daicos has had a pretty insane start to the year, almost Rowell like. Its always tricky to compare NAB league form to sanfl seniors form but you would he would be around the mark for number 1 as well.

The first, second and third rule of trading. Quantity <> Quality. No serious trade proposal should have a difference of more than one on the combined number of picks / players coming in and going out.

Hurt his knee (meniscus) before Xmas. He had stint with Port as part of his Academy gig but could only do rehab.

He was hoping to be ready for the start of the season but hasn't come up.
You mean the career threatening knee injury that has plagued his uncle Shaun, the one he hurt in his hiatus over summer. Thought no one had seen or heard from him since he went walk about in Lincoln to connect to his ancestral roots. This was after the PAC School camp to Alice Springs where he was found with 4 European Backpackers in his Single swag...

drive that draft stock down god damn it!

I could be convinced with regards to Duursma.

I think he's lived off the 'Rozee, Butters and Duursma' hype tbh. He's a good player but he's nowhere near Butters' level and has nowhere near Rozee's potential. I'd do Duursma + a late 1st for Horne pretty comfortably tbh.

I think he's lived off the 'Rozee, Butters and Duursma' hype tbh. He's a good player but he's nowhere near Butters' level and has nowhere near Rozee's potential. I'd do Duursma + a late 1st for Horne pretty comfortably tbh.
Can't agree. If anything he is suffering under their shadow. The kid is a player and we should have no regrets drafting him.

Can't agree. If anything he is suffering under their shadow. The kid is a player and we should have no regrets drafting him.

No regrets drafting him at all, he's well worth pick #18. He's just not a star of the comp like Butters is and Rozee will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not trading any of the 3 young guns keep them together for the next 12yrs thanks.
North will have pick 1 with all the top end kids this yr makes the decision to take Phillips over McDonald even more head scratching.
I think going forward we may stay with the 1 ruckman which would allow us to trade lahdams or Hayes with our first this yr.

I'll go on a limb... At the end of there careers it will end up butters>>>>duursma>>>rozee.

Rozee most talented... But butters and duursma's work ethic is what will eventually put them higher

I don't see so much sense in trading a youngster for a youngster. It doesn't really change the list profile. Could be a net talent gain but it's a risky play since Duursma is pretty good. He's not gonna be star good, but he's still good enough that he's gonna play 200+ games on current form and you need a team with plenty of those types of guys.

But if the opportunity came to get Horne and it had to include Duurs... We would have to atleast consider it.

Will be nigh impossible to move into the top 5 and remember Essendon potential getting another top 5 compo pick.

Our best bet would to be to use Ladhams and our first to move into the top 10 and take the best slider. This would also be ahead of the Burgoyne bid. I imagine getting a top 10 pick, Jace and Merrett (potentially) would be > Horne.

I'm not trading any of the 3 young guns keep them together for the next 12yrs thanks.
North will have pick 1 with all the top end kids this yr makes the decision to take Phillips over McDonald even more head scratching.
I think going forward we may stay with the 1 ruckman which would allow us to trade lahdams or Hayes with our first this yr.
Not Hayes he's the best chance to become elite out of those two. If we are targeting a mid in the draft I would trade SPP and continue to bring in high skilled kicks into the team, that's SPPs weakness and when you look at the best teams you can't have many weak links in the chain, high quality disposal over anything else its what separated hawthorn from the pack 2012-2015.

For me Duursma having Brad Ebert's number on his back is very appropriate, because that's how I see his career panning out. Hard running heart and soul type who's a great example to his teammates and will play 250+ games for this club injury and trades permitting, but probably not ever on that Brownlow or AA level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back