Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The Academy team got absolutely belted, 130 pt loss to the Geelong VFL team. Usually in this game the Academy team loses (with the exception of the 2018 draft year who won) but it is generally fairly competitive. This time it wasn't competitive at all, very much a men vs. boys scenario.

I know that the Academy set up is a bit different this year with the players only coming together a few days before the game, but I can't help but wondering that this is indicative of the strength of the draft this year. I thought there were only a handful of decent performances today.

Daicos looks good, has good skills and finds quite a bit of outside ball. Horne is a bull in the midfield and works really hard, but not his day offensively today. Fahey found quite a bit of the ball and has a nice kick on him but he took most of the kickouts so I think that inflated his numbers a bit. Erasmus is a nice overhead mark for a mid. Rachele kicked a nice goal but was otherwise anonymous.

The KPP's didn't do much at all. I didn't mind Mac Andrew who has nice athleticism and has a dip but is very raw and lots to work on.

Outside of those guys everyone else was poor.

Jut watched the AFL Academy versus Geelong VFL team. Jase Burgoyne didn't have his greatest day out. Looked lost at half back from a defensive perspective. He was diligent in staying on his opponent but struggled to impact contests and at times lost his opponent at crucial moments. Disposal was decent in defensive transition but didn't have much of it. Looked far more comfortable in the second half when he was moved into the centre. Had a nice intercept mark in the third quarter and looked far more likely to have an impact on the contest. He will take some time to develop into an AFL footballer compared to some of the other lads. Whoever gets Josh Fahey will be very happy.

Agree with this take on Burgoyne, looked a bit better after half time in the midfield. The thing that concerns me with Burgoyne is that I just don't think he has a weapon. His skills are very mediocre, has a very loopy kicking style. His contested work is mediocre. I think his pace is OK but seems to rarely use it. Poor defender as a half back. Finds ball but doesn't really have any hurt factor. Seems very tall for a mid but not a threat in the air.

At the moment looks to labouring a bit which I guess is acceptable after coming back from a few injuries.

For me he looks very Kai Pudney like. Shaping to be a rookie/cat b pick at the moment for me but hope he shows a bit more as the years goes on and we see him in the championships.

Yeah that was a bit embarrassing by the Academy lads today. A lot of big names looked like they couldn't be ****ed. Sonsie had the worst game for a probable top 3 pick i've watched. Got about 3 touches despite playing in the middle almost all day, played with his hair 48 times, squibbed a marking contest on his own on the boundary, zero defensive pressure at all. Just nowhere. For someone who is/was right in contention for pick 1, it was a disaster showing for him. He'll be ripped apart in the review of that.

Daicos looked good. Horne was disappointing for someone with senior experience. Fahey has a few weapons. Bazzo was good down back. Johnson and Callaghan had a few moments. Burgoyne I thought got better as the game went on and at least competed. Only 2nd game for the year.

Wanganeen was going half pace, looked like he couldn't be bothered. O'Loughlin who's averaging about 35 touches a game in the under 18s had about 3 kicks for the day, 2 which went straight to the opposition.

Then you have someone like Roberts who's picked up disposals at will so far this year who got zero minutes in the midfield, and was shoved on a forward flank away from the play all day despite Daicos/Horne/Sonsie starting 80% of the centre clearances together and winning about 2 of them for the day. Why wouldn't you give him a go in the midfield where he's dominated all season so far.

All seemed a bit pointless really.

Probably a good year not to be rated in the top three of the draft. Daicos will go number 1 to Collingwood, then probably Horne pick 2 to North and some unlucky teenager pick 3 to Essendon....

probably explains why they were going at half speed. No one wants to stand out.....

If the draft was held today, where would Bourgogne go? 15-20? Or higher?

Probably a good year not to be rated in the top three of the draft. Daicos will go number 1 to Collingwood, then probably Horne pick 2 to North and some unlucky teenager pick 3 to Essendon....

probably explains why they were going at half speed. No one wants to stand out.....

in the mock draft here he went at pick 40.

Probably between 25-40 at this point. If he recreates his form from last year he'll go higher

I just realised that Collingwood have traded out their first pick this year (currently pick 2, lol), for a bunch of picks in the 20s.

Lucky GWS, Jesus.

Very lucky for GWS. At this stage Daicos looks like going pick 1 anyway so was a smart decision by Collingwood.

Very lucky for GWS. At this stage Daicos looks like going pick 1 anyway so was a smart decision by Collingwood.
If Daicos gets a bid a pick one they have a points deficit the equivalent of an end of 1st round pick or 3 mid 3rd round picks to make up. Otherwise it will come off next years first. Call it a season now and they finish 17th, get one player at the draft and lose their 2022 first rounder in matching the bid.

Not so smart by Collingwood. The fire sale isn’t over yet.

I just realised that Collingwood have traded out their first pick this year (currently pick 2, lol), for a bunch of picks in the 20s.

Lucky GWS, Jesus.
Three clubs have traded their first-round pick: Dees (to Lions); Cats (to Tigers); and Pies (to Giants). So far, only the Pies' trade looks bad.

And that's not all. They have also traded their second-round pick to the Hawks. Collingwood actually holds Footscray's second-round pick instead.

So, currently, instead of having picks 2 and 20, they would only have pick 36.

Last edited:
Three clubs have traded their first-round pick: Dees (to Lions); Cats (to Tigers); and Pies (to Giants). So far, only the Pies' trade looks bad.

And that's not all. They have also traded their second-round pick to the Hawks. Collingwood actually holds Footscray's second-round pick instead.

So, currently, instead of having picks 2 and 20, they would only have pick 36.
Just watched last night's footy classified and they were saying Collingwood would potentially have 2 top 10 picks because of daicos.
How do paid footy journos media people on a footy show not know this type of stuff? Amos

Probably between 25-40 at this point. If he recreates his form from last year he'll go higher
So very likely that we get to use our 1st pick and then accumulate sufficient points for Burgoyne. Those points will be obtained via the draft (players/pick swaps), we won't want to go into deficit. If and if it's a big if, we can snag Merrett via free agency, it would be another excellent off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should try and use our 1st pick and something else to move up the order .. let's try and do a deal with GWS
So very likely that we get to use our 1st pick and then accumulate sufficient points for Burgoyne. Those points will be obtained via the draft (players/pick swaps), we won't want to go into deficit. If and if it's a big if, we can snag Merrett via free agency, it would be another excellent off season.

On T86 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Someone with a better memory than me

When was the last time a draftee was in the state side that plays the WAFL?

Horne selected

Someone with a better memory than me

When was the last time a draftee was in the state side that plays the WAFL?

Horne selected

Probably Aish & Toumpas

ESPN.com.au's AFL Draft expert Chris Doerre has revealed his AFL Draft Power Rankings for the month of May, with Jason Horne and Nick Daicos rising to the top.

SANFL UNDER-18S WEEK 5 SUPER RANKINGS
Ranking, Player, Club, CD Position, 2021 Games, 2021 Ave. KFC SuperCoach Points

1. Matthew Roberts (South Adelaide), MID, 3 games, 201 points

2. Hugh Jackson (North Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 137 points

3. Arlo Draper (South Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 136 points

4. Blayne O’Loughlin (North Adelaide), DEF, 3 games, 136 points

5. Kobe Ryan (West Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 136 points

6. Matthew Dnistriansky (Norwood), DEF, 5 games, 130 points

7. Isaiah Dudley (Central District), MID/FWD, 5 games, 128 points

8. Cade Kennedy (West Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 127 points

9. Brad Jefferies (Sturt), MID, 4 games, 123 points

10. Lewis Rayson (Glenelg), DEF, 4 games, 123 points

11. Zyton Santillo (North Adelaide), FWD, 5 games, 121 points

12. Lukas Cooke (Woodville-West Torrens), FWD, 4 games, 120 points

13. Dylan White (West Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 119 points

14. Shay Linke (Central District), MID, 3 games, 119 points

15. Angus Bradley (South Adelaide), FWD, 3 games, 118 points

16. Jack Harding (Glenelg), DEF, 4 games, 118 points

17. Adam D’Aloia (Woodville-West Torrens), MID, 5 games, 117 points

18. Mattaes Phillipou (Woodville-West Torrens), MID, 4 games, 114 points

19. Charlie Pridham (West Adelaide), DEF, 5 games, 113 points

20. Jacob Owens (Glenelg), MID, 4 games, 111 points

21. Brock Thomson (Woodville-West Torrens), DEF, 5 games, 111 points

22. Bailey Pilmore (South Adelaide), FWD, 3 games, 110 points

23. Harry Tunkin (Glenelg), MID, 5 games, 110 points

24. Harvey Harrison (North Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 107 points

25. Luke Young (West Adelaide), FWD, 5 games, 107 points

26. Luke Mitton (South Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 104 points

27. Kane Viska (Glenelg), DEF, 3 games, 104 points

28. Nick Sadler (Sturt), MID, 3 games, 103 points

29. Cooper Rogers (South Adelaide), MID, 5 games, 102 points

30. Hugh Stagg (Glenelg), MID, 5 games, 102 points

31. Hunter Window (Glenelg), MID, 5 games, 102 points

32. Jack Harding (Glenelg), FWD, 5 games, 102 points

33. Zac Becker (Sturt), DEF, 4 games, 100 points

34. Darcy Gluyas (Glenelg), MID, 3 games, 99 points

35. Jamie Taylor (Sturt), MID, 4 games, 99 points

36. James Willis (North Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 99 points

37. Koby Cockshell (South Adelaide), FWD, 5 games, 98 points

38. Jayden Gale (Norwood), DEF, 4 games, 98 points

39. Cody Gilchrist (Central), FWD, 5 games, 98 points

40. Lachlan Hayes (South Adelaide), DEF, 5 games, 98 points

41. Alastair Lord (Norwood), DEF, 4 games, 98 points

42. Dayne McGary (Glenelg), DEF, 3 games, 98 points

43. Ruben Carreno (Central District), DEF, 5 games, 97 points

44. Jordan Hein (Sturt), DEF, 5 games, 96 games

45. Jack Ianniello (Norwood), DEF, 4 games, 95 points

46. Max Blacker (North Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 94 points

47. Isaac Birt (South Adelaide), DEF, 5 games, 93 points

48. Cormac Dwyer (Sturt), MID, 3 games, 93 points

49. Shaun Bennier (North Adelaide), DEF, 3 games, 92 points

50. Tyson Coe (West Adelaide), MID, 4 games, 92 points

Why does WA seem to produce more tall talent than SA?
More under 18 year olds

More Noongars

Don't try and recruit so many AFL rejects to be the 2nd best comp in the land.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back