Mega Thread 2021 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder if we trade out of this draft and stock up for next years?
Next years being SA lads and talls.

Trade out this years first for a next years and still get burgoyne this year.

We don't need talls urgently we need midfielders.This is the perfect draft for us for where our list sits.

I would be interested in doing that if the player/s we want aren’t going to be available at our first pick.

Would trade out our first for a next years first or possibly 2 2nd rounders.

Then trade back into this draft of a slider that we like gets to a range we think is a bargain.

Having said that I think a mid we like might get to our pick.

Would happily take any picks in the top 30 we could grab this year. 3 maybe that's 2 plus Burgoyne and that's a normal haul.

We don't need talls urgently we need midfielders.This is the perfect draft for us for where our list sits.
Yeah, we're stocked with quality under 25 KPD's. Or KPD's over 195cm. Or a beast KPF (neither Mitch or Todd will ever be that) to replace Dixon.
I'd put a quality 195cm+ KPD as top of my list of priorities to draft.

I cant imagine Roberts dropping to our pick. Hes not that slow, not in a game sense

Yeah he reacts well and quickly. A footballer. Though I’m at the stage where I’ve watched some of these guys for a while and still don’t know exactly what to make of them.

Champs would have made a real difference in separating these players imo.

Josh Ward and Hugh Jackson are guys peaking my interest as midfielders who would fit what we’ve got very well but I’ve only just been watching them recently.

There’s been quite a few injuries to this draft class as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arlo Draper seems to me to be a good fit. Good height, quick, agile and has a spring. Probably starts as a HFF and moves inside. I’ve only seen patches of his play. How do people see him at Port?

The lack of champs is a real shame for the talls. Am keen to see what Williams and Amiss could do against the best defenders. Wouldn’t be adverse to picking one if we have a second pick in that 15-30 range.

Yeah, we're stocked with quality under 25 KPD's. Or KPD's over 195cm. Or a beast KPF (neither Mitch or Todd will ever be that) to replace Dixon.
I'd put a quality 195cm+ KPD as top of my list of priorities to draft.
In the past two years we have drafted Pasini and Lord who both play kp. In that time we have taken one centre square mid in Mead and the reality is that you need more midfielders on the list than talls. We haven't taken a pure mid with a first rounder since spp.

The need is clearly midfield and if we fail to draft one this year we are looking at a steep cliff as Boak, Rockliff and Gray all retire over the next few years.

Twomey has Goater at 20 being available at our predicted first pick, 190cm+, athletic, good speed and hits the scoreboard. Would take him over Draper imo. I’ve only seen highlights of Roberts, anyone watched full matches of his this year ?

Twomey has Goater at 20 being available at our predicted first pick, 190cm+, athletic, good speed and hits the scoreboard. Would take him over Draper imo. I’ve only seen highlights of Roberts, anyone watched full matches of his this year ?
Love goater. Reckon he takes a while to transition into a centre mid and starts off as a hbf / winger. Would be stoked if we got him even if I want a more pure mid than goater.

I’ve watched heaps of roberts in previous years but didn’t bother much this year as I had seen him and wanted to watch other players and it was champs that I was waiting for to see him in. Then he got injured :(

Arlo Draper seems to me to be a good fit. Good height, quick, agile and has a spring. Probably starts as a HFF and moves inside. I’ve only seen patches of his play. How do people see him at Port?

The lack of champs is a real shame for the talls. Am keen to see what Williams and Amiss could do against the best defenders. Wouldn’t be adverse to picking one if we have a second pick in that 15-30 range.

He's my guy. Would love him to get to us. Smooth operator.

I think amiss would be a great selection for us big kpf with an accurate kick
Then try and draft a mid with the next pick
It’s harder to get talls and hopefully with Amon Houston butters rozzee and hopefully mead we have enough depth coming in to the mid
And it’s easier to trade in mids

www.heraldsun.com.au:

Andrew Capel's top30 SA prospects.

SA TOP 30 POWER RANKINGS - AUGUST EDITION
1. JASON HORNE

(South Adelaide)
18, midfielder/forward, 184cm, 77kg
2021 Champion Data ranking points average: 83 (League)

Models his game on dual Fremantle Brownlow Medallist Nat Fyfe and plays like a smaller version of him. The stepson of former Port Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane wingman Fabian Francis, Horne is a serious competitor who is tough and aggressive, illustrated by his bonecrunching tackle on powerful Crow Darcy Fogarty in a SANFL clash at Victor Harbor in round 14 when he stopped him in his tracks. Can play inside and outside the contest, is strong overhead and highly skilled. “He’s a ready-made AFL player who is worthy of the number one selection,’’ State under-19 coach Tony Bamford said. “He’s going to be an awesome AFL footballer.’’

2. MATTHEW ROBERTS
(South Adelaide)
18, midfielder/forward, 184cm, 80kg
RP: 201 (Under-18)

A natural, smart footballer who wins contested ball and cleverly feeds it out to teammates with quick, clean hands. Played two league games for the Panthers - on the back of a 240-ranking-point performance at under-18 level - before being injured and is an elite kick and decision maker. “Matty is the best player in SA for footy IQ in his age group,’’ Bamford said. “He sees the game quicker than most in real time. He’s a one-grab player who is more of a footballer than an athlete but his athletic traits have improved significantly. He can look like a lumbering, slow player on the field but his numbers suggest otherwise. He will be a very good AFL footballer, the perfect midfielder.’’

3. JASE BURGOYNE
(Woodville-West Torrens)
18, wingman/half-back, 186cm, 65kg
RP: 124 (Under-18)

Port Adelaide father-son prospect.
The son of former Port Adelaide star Peter Burgoyne, Jase is more highly-rated than his older brother Trent, who was a father-son selection last year. Very lightly built, he is a tall wingman/half-back who is highly-skilled and a smart footballer like his dad, who was a key member of the Power's 2004 premiership team. Can also play in the centre square and burst away from stoppages. Still raw but has enormous upside. “He’s an elite talent, with speed, acceleration, terrific agility and clean hands,’’ Bamford said. “He can play at the source, behind the source and in front as a half-forward. I think his best football is at half-back and in the midfield and once he gets another 10kg heavier, boy oh boy, he’s that talented he could turn into the next Shaun Burgoyne.’’

4. ARLO DRAPER
(South Adelaide)
18, midfielder/utility, 186cm, 75kg
RP: 140 (Under-18)

Classy, agile onballer who weaves through traffic with ease and can go forward and hit the scoreboard - booting 10 goals and averaging 24 disposals in eight under-18 matches - with his strong overhead marking and allround class. A nice size at 186cm, which adds versatility to his game, and appears to have plenty of time with ball in hand, never seeming to panic under pressure. “Arlo’s a unique player in that he can play anywhere - as an inside or outside midfielder, various roles in defence or anywhere in attack,’’ Bamford said. “His versatility is very rare and makes him so valuable. Some players can play multiple positions but they don't do it all that well, whereas this guy does it at an above average level in all three parts of the ground, which is his point of difference.’’

5. NASIAH WANGANEEN-MILERA
(Glenelg)
18, wingman/forward, 188cm, 70kg
RP: 80 (Reserves)

Tall, gifted wingman is a rare talent, who possesses great skill and can take a high-flying mark. He was a standout in last year’s SA All Stars game and made his league debut for the Tigers against an AFL-stacked Adelaide in round 13 this season, managing 10 disposals in a hard-fought win. There have been some questions over his hardness but Bamford is a big fan of his game. “He's never going to be a bash-and-crash player but neither was Nick Dal Santo (former St Kilda and North Melbourne star),’’ he said. “There is no point trying to turn an apple into an orange, you’ve just got to appreciate what they are and Nasiah is an unbelievably good ball user whose running patterns, at the moment, are as good as anyone’s for a winger. He’s athletically gifted, quick and, as a wingman, has a great ability to get up and down the ground.’’

6. HUGH JACKSON
(North Adelaide)
18, midfielder, 181cm, 70kg
RP: 134 (Under-18)

Classy and prolific, left-footed ball magnet who has averaged 32 disposals for the Roosters’ under-18s this season, the most of any player in the competition. Can win the ball inside - he averages five clearances - and outside and breaks from congestion with apparent ease. And it’s his rapidly-developing all-round game that has really caught the attention of recruiters this year. Is an elite, long kick which is illustrated by his superb 80 per cent disposal efficiency. “Hugh’s always been a good outside ball user but this year he has really built an inside game too,’’ Bamford said. “He has really good composure and is an excellent decision maker. Like Roberts, he sees the game early, makes good decisions and has elite ball use.’’

7. BLAYNE O’LOUGHLIN

(North Adelaide)
18, half-back/midfielder, 171cm, 74kg
RP: 116 (Under-18)

Adelaide NGA prospect.
Exciting, talented left-footer, who is an elite kick, hasn’t had the same impact for the Roosters’ under-18’s as he did last year as he has been used more as a backline playmaker. But blistering early-season form still earnt the nephew of Swans great Michael a late call-up to the AFL Academy side in April and Bamford is sold on him, rating him very highly. “I’ve told him that at national level I want him to play back pocket and take responsibility for the opposition’s most dangerous small forward, beat them one-on-one and get involved in offence off that,’’ Bamford said. “He played that role in an internal trial (SA under-19s) last month and did it superbly. He’s tough and strong and you can trust him deep. His best games come from having a really good defensive game and getting his share of the ball off that.’’

8. COOPER MURLEY
(Norwood)
18, midfielder/forward, 178cm, 69kg
RP: 105 (Under-18)

An excitement machine who can explode from stoppages with blistering speed and kick long inside 50. Has a bit of Port Adelaide’s Zak Butters about the way he plays, although he doesn’t yet possess Butters’ fearless attack on the ball. Injuries, which currently have him sidelined, have stalled the development of the speedy midfielder, who dominated his bottom-age season to win Norwood’s under-18 best-and-fairest in a premiership side. “He’s an excitement machine who has a bit of Butters and Connor Rozee in him with the way he goes about it but he just hasn’t had any luck with injury,’’ Bamford said. “Clubs might have to look at his under-16 and under-17 years to get a better feel for him. He’s an outside player best suited to a wing or high half-forward and he takes the opposition on and breaks the lines.’’

9. ISAIAH DUDLEY
(Central District)
18, small-forward/midfielder, 166cm, 69kg
RP: 129 (Under-18)

Adelaide NGA prospect.
The raw excitement machine is quick, elusive and boasts terrific vision and clean hands at the contest. While there’s concern over his work ethic, Dudley - only small in stature - is as talented as any in this year’s pool. Has shone through the midfield for Central - and South Australia - at junior level and impressed in the reserves, including taking a spectacular mark against Sturt at Unley. Performed well as a rebounding defender during his time at PAC. Bamford said he is the most skilful SA player in this year's draft pool. “He’s a rare talent, more talented than Horne and Roberts,’’ he said. “In order of talent, he’s number one, but he’s still a bit immature and learning about the game and what it takes to get the best out of yourself, including fitness. But his talent, hands, smarts, kicking and football intelligence is unbelievable.’’

10. LEWIS RAYSON
(Glenelg)
18, half-back, 183cm, 69kg
RP: 123 (Under-18)

Highly-rated, rebounding defender who is super-consistent and a clever ball user. His is cool under pressure, can break from stoppages and create good overlap run. Possesses a penetrating kick and has great vision, enabling him to turn defence into attack very quickly. Is still very light and needs some time in the gym to enable him to compete better in one-on-one contests. “He’s a very offensive defender who has speed and acceleration on the outside and is a beautiful left-foot kick,’’ Bamford said. “Needs to get stronger to be able to compete one-on-one but he has the ability to find holes in traffic and get outside and create damage with his elite kick.’’

11. COOPER BEECKEN
(Glenelg)
18, defender, 190cm, 73kg
RP: 84 (Under-18)

Versatile, key utility who can play as an intercept defender and use his long arms to great effect and then roll off with his strong, left-foot kick. Has been effective on the wing in recent games for Glenelg’s reserves, kicking two goals and recording two score assists in his first appearance at the level. The Andrew Mackie or Will Day-like prospect can also play as a high half-forward where he can showcase his marking ability.

12. SHAY LINKE
(Central District)
18, midfielder, 190cm, 79kg
RP: 71 (League)

The tall midfielder has enjoyed a standout year, dominating the under-18 competition - as he did for parts of his bottom-age season - before having an impact at senior level for Central. He finds the ball in space with ease but is also terrific at the contest and clever in traffic. His defensive attributes and toughness, despite his slight frame, have also stood out at League level with Linke recording 28 tackles in his four matches. One who could rise further with a strong performance at the national carnival.

13. MORGAN FERRES
(Sturt)
18, forward, 190cm, 80kg
RP: 169 (Under-18)

A medium forward who has performed well in the reserves for Sturt this season, after dominating the junior competition over the past 12 months. Ferres booted 25 goals in his bottom-age season and kicked 13 in his two under-18 matches this year. Bamford rates him as SA’s best under-19 forward. He is clever, reads the play well, marks well on the lead and can hold his own in contested situations. Has battled a shoulder injury all season.

14. ZAC BECKER
(Sturt)
17, defender, 190cm, 92kg
RP: 100 (Under-18)

An undersized key defender who gets the job done, despite battling bigger, stronger opponents at both under-18 and reserves level. Can also go forward and kick goals, which he has done regularly for Scotch College. Not overly quick but possesses a penetrating left-foot kick, which has prompted Bamford to make comparisons to Port Adelaide superboot Trent McKenzie.

15. HUGH STAGG
(Glenelg)
18, midfielder, 180cm, 79kg
RP: 123 (Under-18)

Strong, powerful midfielder who loves winning the hard ball and making his presence felt in traffic. He is a high-energy player who can tuck the ball under his arm and burst from stoppages with great intent. Can push forward and hit the scoreboard, as evident by his 15 goals at junior level this year, but needs to improve his field kicking.

16. ISAAC BIRT
(South Adelaide)
18, midfielder, 181cm, 70kg
RP: 121 (Under-18)

Birt is another young Panther to catch the eye of recruiters, putting together a consistent season on a wing in the under-18s, named in his side’s best in eight of his 13 matches. The left-footer has great skills, delivers with precision inside-50 and wins the ball in the air and on the ground.

17. WILL SPAIN
(Sturt)
18, midfielder, 178cm, 69kg
RP: 97 (Reserves)

The midfielder averaged 21 disposals in the shadow of Tom Powell in Sturt’s under-18 side last season but he’s making his own name in 2021. Spain boasts a number of similar traits to Powell, too. He’s a strong ball-winner with a high footy IQ and terrific hands in close. The 18-year-old has impressed against bigger bodies this year, playing 10 reserves games and averaging 103 ranking points and recording 70 tackles in his past six matches.

18. JAMES WILLIS
(North Adelaide)
18, midfielder, 180cm, 75kg
RP: 120 (Under-18)

Hard-as-nails onballer who has grown rapidly as the season has gone on. A powerful, contested ball magnet who loves throwing his body around, whether it be laying tackles or applying blocks for teammates. His kicking needs some work but the strong defensive attributes, combined with breakaway speed, power and a strong abili

19. LEEK ALLEER
(Central District)
19, key defender, 195cm, 84kg
RP: 58 (league)

Raw key defender has had a breakout season with Central, impressing with his off-the-charts athleticism and high marking that has excited the Bulldogs’ faithful. Has played seven league games and coach Paul Thomas believes he has a big future.
“He’s very athletic, very coachable, very intelligent, very humble and a very quiet professional whose upside is tremendous,’’ Thomas said.

20. CADE KENNEDY
(West Adelaide)
18, wingman, 178cm, 75kg
RP: 126 (Under-18)

West Adelaide’s under-18 captain is one of the standout leaders of South Australia’s under-19 squad and is a tough, consistent ball-winner. The workhorse is clean in tight and drives forward with intent but Kennedy’s lack of elite foot skills or speed is a slight concern given his size.

21. MANI LIDDY
(Sturt)
19, midfielder, 183cm, 80kg
RP: 83 (League)

Liddy was overlooked in last year’s draft, despite a consistent year at under-18 level. There was - and still is - some concern over his speed and capacity to hurt the opposition but he’s further underline his strengths at senior level this season. After a blistering start in the reserves, Liddy made a quick transition to League footy, tallying 21 disposals, 11 contested possessions, six clearances and five tackles on debut. His outstanding ability to win the ball at the contest and put a teammate in space was also on show during the recent under-19 trial game.

22. DARCY McDONALD
(Central District)
18, midfielder, 186cm, 79kg
RP: 103 (Under-18)

McDonald was left out of the recent state under-19 squad, after being picked during the initial phase earlier in the year. But the tall inside-midfielder, who dances through traffic, has had some standout moments for Central. He’s raw, and not yet a big ball-winner, but has plenty of class and thrives at the contest. McDonald tallied 21 disposals, 16 contested possessions, eight score involvements, seven clearances and 150 ranking points in Round 10 to earn promotion to the reserves.

23. HARVEY HARRISON
(North Adelaide)
18, midfielder, 181cm, 71kg
RP: 102 (Under-18)

The prolific teenager was one of the standout midfielders of the under-18 competition in the first half of the season, impressing with his run-and-carry and ability to burst from congestion. Harrison kicks goals and works hard to create going forward but has been slightly inconsistent with his ball-use.

24. TRISTAN BINDER
(Norwood)
21, forward, 190cm, 91kg
RP: 84 (league)

Strong-marking, straight-kicking forward who has emerged as a find for Norwood at league level this year. Woodville-West Torrens premiership coach Jade Sheedy, who coached Binder at Athelstone in the Adelaide Footy League, was full of praise for him after he kicked three of the Redlegs’ seven goals against the Eagles at The Parade before the SANFL was shut down for two weeks. “He has all the attributes that AFL clubs would like,’’ Sheedy said.

25. JORDAN LUKAC
(Woodville-West Torrens)
19, forward/ruckman, 196cm, 89kg
RP: 77 (Under-18)

Athletic tall who is a difficult match-up inside-50 given his marking strength and ability to follow-up at ground level. Lukac has booted 20 goals in nine under-18 matches, while also having an influence in the ruck, and has featured in the reserves for the Eagles.

26. LACHLAN GRUBB
(Central)
19, forward, 177cm, 75kg
RP: 69 (Reserves)

After being overlooked in last year’s draft, the speedster is set to feature for South Australia at the national championships. He’s a terrific athlete with neat skills and clean hands at ground level and, while he hasn’t pushed into Central’s senior team – as he did last year – Grubb’s highlight reel at reserves level is impressive.

27. OSCAR ADAMS
(Glenelg)
18, ruckman/key-defender, 198cm, 85kg
RP: 78 (Under-18)

The 198cm Adams, who boasts a terrific vertical leap and good skills, has transitioned from strong-marking defender to mobile ruckman in the under-18s this season. His potential is highlighted in the Round 3 performance against Central when the 18-year-old finished with 24 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 11 hitouts-to-advantage, 11 score involvements and 159 ranking points in a dominant display.

28. MATTHEW DNISTRIANSKY
(Norwood)
18, defender, 187cm, 75kg
RP: 124 (Under-18)

Dnistriansky is a composed, rebounding defender, who possesses one of the best kicks in the SA pool. The long-kicking right-footer is going at an elite 78 per cent efficiency this season and is Norwood’s chief playmaker across half-back. He’s pushed into the midfield at stages, too, but, despite an impressive trial game, wasn’t picked in the latest state squad. Are his defensive attributes good enough?

29. BROCK THOMSON
(Woodville-West Torrens)
18, defender, 178cm, 64kg
RP: 101 (Under-18)

Thomson is another who was overlooked for last month’s state squad but he’s been a standout for the Eagles this year. The versatile 178cm defender – who has featured in the midfield - can play on small and medium-forwards and is also an attacking threat from the back-half. Thompson reads the play well and is damaging by foot.

30. LUKAS COOKE
(Woodville-West Torrens)
17, key forward, 195cm, 80kg
RP: 117 (Under-18)

Athletic, strong-marking key-forward who has booted 17 goals in five under-18 matches this season. He doesn’t crash packs, but Cooke is outstanding on the lead and uses his body well in one-on-one contests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back