Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe and maybe not. He obviously wasn't very confident of that or he would have had Lohman in his Phantoms.
He's definitely not infallible - after all he didn't get the pick right in the first place. And his picks are a bit "balance of probabilities" anyway. But his speculation is still generally based off concrete reports - he just thinks it's a bit less likely than what was locked in to his phantom - so I'd definitely take the reports he got that caused him to include these notes over us speculating with literally zero evidence as to where a player may or may not be available.

Maybe and maybe not. He obviously wasn't very confident of that or he would have had Lohman in his Phantoms.

Oh Jesus Christ, turn your brain on.

Clubs are far more likely to be forthright to journalists in their intentions after players are selected, particularly with bolters.

You’re embarrassing yourself now. Drop the ego and accept you went too hard too early based on bugger all.

You were making grand pronunciations in the absence of information, and now when inconvenient information comes to light, you want to disregard it. Such bad faith.

Not according to Twomey. Sounds like we just pipped Hawthorn and potentially some other clubs early in the second.
Doesn't sound like it with talk of him maybe going in the early 20s anyway.
Thanks - makes sense best get the player you're after than aim for "what ifs"
Be interesting to see if we try to slide down the order overnight from here.

Thanks - makes sense best get the player you're after than aim for "what ifs"
Be interesting to see if we try to slide down the order overnight from here.

Would definitely be worth looking at if we think we can get value for our future first (which we need to trade out anyway either now or next year).

Seriously you have zero intel as to who, what & how the club selects kids in this draft yet you and several others profess to be experts in a field you really know FA about. I cant wait for this kid to lead the way in 2-3 years time but over that time your opinions in this forum would not only be forgotten, so will be your negligible relevance to the subject of drafting young afl boys into the Brisbane Lions FC.
I just shut up then? Only praise for our super awesome recruitment team is welcome on here?
In all seriousness I will get behind any player we draft. I'm stoked to get both boys to the club.
My issue is our ridiculous wasting of picks and points over the last couple of years. It's been diabolical. I'm sure someone will lay it all out at some point over the next couple of days, but it wouldn't surprise me if we have squandered a couple of thousand points or the equivalent of a top 5 pick in value in two years.

Bris: Future first and 41
for
Freo: Pick 21, future 2nd and 3rd
Who says no? Might be tough to get Freo's pick (next pick) with Johnson still on the board.
Love your ambition. But can't see why Freo would give-up pick 21. They need to cash in on top picks while they can, especially for a West Aussie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at the Lions function. I was good.
Who were the staff at that one?

And did they address the elephant in the room of selecting a player without a highlight reel?

They did but I can't remember it all, briztoon might??
i would assume after a player is picked they read out where they rated. Probably still have a few that have been unselected in thier top 20. I hope we try to make a play for early pick tomorrow night. Would be amazing to pick up another high potential in like Goater or Sonsie.

Went to the Lions draft night function at the Gabba tonight.

We had Darcy Wilmot rated at 11 and Kai Lohmann at 14, we got exactly who the recruiters wanted.
Just out of interest, where did they have Johnson and Goater.
I wasn’t a massive fan of Goater but I really liked Johnson.

He openly said that he’s modelled his game on Isaac Heeney. Studied him closely these past few years.
Oh god, I hope that doesn't mean he moves himself out of the contest randomly when he's most needed. Someone needs to tell him that's Longmire, not Heeney to blame for that!

I just shut up then? Only praise for our super awesome recruitment team is welcome on here?
In all seriousness I will get behind any player we draft. I'm stoked to get both boys to the club.
My issue is our ridiculous wasting of picks and points over the last couple of years. It's been diabolical. I'm sure someone will lay it all out at some point over the next couple of days, but it wouldn't surprise me if we have squandered a couple of thousand points or the equivalent of a top 5 pick in value in two years.

There isn’t a pick exchange where you can trade picks for any other combination of picks. Other clubs actually need to be looking to move up. There appeared to be no action on the phones at our pick or the few picks before hand.

Most of the trades are relatively inconsequential shuffling of later picks.

Clubs making the strategic jump up the order to snap up a shock slider are relatively rare. We are in fact one of the few to do so.

Who were the staff at that one?

And did they address the elephant in the room of selecting a player without a highlight reel?
Hippy spoke for a while, he wants to be in recruitment post his career.

Fagan, Swann, Daly, Wellington, Crowell were there after the selections.

This would be why I don’t have faith in our recruiters. Not many wins recently

2013 draft - solid draft helped us through a tough patch
Aish -fail
Gardiner - pass
McStay - pass
Taylor - pass
Cutler- pass
NRobbo- pass

2015 draft - shocking

Schache - fail
Hipwood - free hit
Keays - fail (mismanaged)
Matho - pass
Skinner - fail

2016 draft - win despite wasting 2 early second rounders in a strong draft

Clug - win
Berry - pass
Witherden - fail
Cox - fail
Allison - fail
Barrett - fail
Hinge - pass
McInerney - win

2017 draft - pass - what a horrible draft to have pick 1, made good use of late first rounders with a lot of depth in this draft

Rayner - fail
Bailey - win
Starcevich - win
Wooller- fail

2018 - unmitigated failure

ESmith - fail
TBerry - fail
Joyce- fail
McFadyen- fail
Answerth- pass

2019 - pass

Robertson- pass
BSmith- fail
Kiddy - free hit
Prior - pass

2020 - shocking on many levels

BColeman - fail
Sharp - pass
HSmith - fail

Oh Jesus Christ, turn your brain on.

Clubs are far more likely to be forthright to journalists in their intentions after players are selected, particularly with bolters.

You’re embarrassing yourself now. Drop the ego and accept you went too hard too early based on bugger all.

You were making grand pronunciations in the absence of information, and now when inconvenient information comes to light, you want to disregard it. Such bad faith.

Brain is on.

So Twomey has had recruiters from Hawthorn and North tell him outright they would have picked Lohman in the minutes after the draft? Now that's possible. It's also possible, and more likely in my opinion, he is referring back to information he had prior to the draft which indicated it was a possibility, but still not strong enough for him to name them in his Phantoms.

I know it's difficult to break out of cheerleader mode for you, but sometimes it's ok to venture out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back