Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May be the fact that he is wearing number 6 in this video but Josh Ward reminds me of Luke Power-

May be the fact that he is wearing number 6 in this video but Josh Ward reminds me of Luke Power-

If we didn’t have Ashcroft next year, and had a top 10 pick, he’d be a good pick. But between Ashcroft, Bailey and Fletcher, I believe we’ll be well covered for smaller inside outside mids.

If we didn’t have Ashcroft next year, and had a top 10 pick, he’d be a good pick. But between Ashcroft, Bailey and Fletcher, I believe we’ll be well covered for smaller inside outside mids.
Was it you who quoted Danny Daly as saying we are looking at outside run, wing and half backs with our two first rounders Briz? If so it puts the likes of Sinn, Goater, NWM, Wilmot and Chesser firmly in the mix for us.

Would you do pick 18 and our future first to secure him? Maybe getting a future second or third back.
That really depends on the pick we have to move up to.

Looking at the clubs ahead of us, I could see Essendon going Goater, so we’d have to get ahead of them.

Though I am reluctant to give up our future first just to move up and get a pick that will be used purely for points.

I’d rather package 14 and 18 to move up in to the top 10 and a mid 20’s pick. I don’t believe Hawthorn, Richmond or Fremantle would make such a trade.

West Coast might, trading 10 and 29 for 14 and 18. I’d probably be asking for a future third round pick back as well in such a trade.

Looking at the clubs ahead of us, I could see Essendon going Goater, so we’d have to get ahead of them.

Though I am reluctant to give up our future first just to move up and get a pick that will be used purely for points.

I’d rather package 14 and 18 to move up in to the top 10 and a mid 20’s pick. I don’t believe Hawthorn, Richmond or Fremantle would make such a trade.

West Coast might, trading 10 and 29 for 14 and 18. I’d probably be asking for a future third round pick back as well in such a trade.

I would be in that, if it got us Goater. Purely off that highlights package.

Fair enough, I really like who could be there at 14 so I'd be reluctant to move that pick, I'm a little more skeptical on 18 which really only leaves our future picks to move up enough for Goater specifically.

Fair enough, I really like who could be there at 14 so I'd be reluctant to move that pick, I'm a little more skeptical on 18 which really only leaves our future picks to move up enough for Goater specifically.
I’m hopeful we can trade our future first round pick next year for a 2023 first round pick and a 2022 second round pick to a team wanting two picks in the first round next year.

I would be in that, if it got us Goater. Purely off that highlights package.
I would hope Bazzo would still be available at 29. Sam Banks as a backup option.

I think I would prefer to offer 18 and next year first for a pick around 10 and some later picks next year.
Leaving us with 10 and 14 and 41 if we get it and need it.

Assuming we get 41 I wonder if West Coast would trade 10, 29 and 35 for 14, 18 and 41

It's basically equal on points.

I’m hopeful we can trade our future first round pick next year for a 2023 first round pick and a 2022 second round pick to a team wanting two picks in the first round next year.

I would hope Bazzo would still be available at 29. Sam Banks as a backup option.
Is there any idea what the 2023 draft looks like at this stage or way too early to tell?
If we could get Bazzo at 29 then I'd be more into it but the idea of getting Goater + Sinn/NWM could be unreal for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone see a fair whack of J Bezz in Goater?

I reckon Jarrod relies largely on his strength, whereas it looks like Goater relies largely on his agility.

I think I would prefer to offer 18 and next year first for a pick around 10 and some later picks next year.
Leaving us with 10 and 14 and 41 if we get it and need it.
I don’t believe WC would do that trade.

Basically they move their first back 8 spots this year, and move their future second round pick up 8 to 10 spots next year.

Is there any idea what the 2023 draft looks like at this stage or way too early to tell?
If we could get Bazzo at 29 then I'd be more into it but the idea of getting Goater + Sinn/NWM could be unreal for us.
I just don’t see us getting two of those three.

I can see Hobbs or Sonsie falling to our first pick.

A lot hinges on who Adelaide select, and if a team manages to trade up to GWS’s pick.

If Callaghan is gone before Adelaide’s selection, I can see Adelaide going for Erasmus, Fremantle going for NWM, Essendon going for Goater and Sydney going for Sinn.

If we are moving up, it’s get a specific player. We won’t be guaranteed anyone at 29. It’s a case of, we’re happy to take whoever is highest on our list of best player available, with the likelihood of it being a kid in our 25 to 30 range of bpa.

Well this kid will be one to watch.

There’s a 3 page thread on the draft board about 2023.

I just don’t see us getting two of those three.

I can see Hobbs or Sonsie falling to our first pick.

A lot hinges on who Adelaide select, and if a team manages to trade up to GWS’s pick.

If Callaghan is gone before Adelaide’s selection, I can see Adelaide going for Erasmus, Fremantle going for NWM, Essendon going for Goater and Sydney going for Sinn.

If we are moving up, it’s get a specific player. We won’t be guaranteed anyone at 29. It’s a case of, we’re happy to take whoever is highest on our list of best player available, with the likelihood of it being a kid in our 25 to 30 range of bpa.
Goater has Essendon written all over him doesn’t he? If they took Perkins around that mark last year I expect them to do the same here with Goater.

Last edited:
Goatee has Essendon written all over him doesn’t he? If they took Perkins around that mark last year I expect them to do the same here with Goater.
Mac Andrew to Essendon? They've got quite a few young mids there already and are looking for someone to partner Harrison Jones for the future, they like to take swings and he's probably the biggest wing in the draft, hopefully that's what they do anyways.

Mac Andrew to Essendon? They've got quite a few young mids there already and are looking for someone to partner Harrison Jones for the future, they like to take swings and he's probably the biggest wing in the draft, hopefully that's what they do anyways.
My guess is that GWS go for Andrew and Rachelle.

They will probably look to trade back a few spots and pick up a future pick in the deal.

Was going to say the same. I really rate Essendon’s Sam Draper so can’t see them going for Andrews plus he could go earlier before their pick.

I’m also going to go out on a limb here. I reckon at pick 20 we will select Mitch Owens from Sandringham. Have absolutely nothing to go on part from that Twomey said that there were one or two clubs who rate him top 20. Daly has said a wing type player so there you go.

Last edited:
Was going to say the same. I really rate Essendon’s Sam Draper so can’t see them going for Andrews plus he could go earlier before their pick.

I’m also going to go out on a limb here. I reckon at pick 20 we will select Mitch Owens from Sandringham. Have absolutely nothing to go on part from that Twomey said that there were one or two clubs who rate him top 20. Daly has said a wing type player so there you go.
*sigh* there you went and said it. You just know Twomey was referring to us, when he mentioned that.

It’s like Sandringham was absolutely stacked for wings and half backs.

Another is Blake Howes. But he’s more a wing/forward type at 190cm, who was an U16 AA as a medium tall marking forward.

I think I’d rather Chesser ahead of Owens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back