Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was only responding to cotter101 post, and throwing up a possible scenario.

I’ve come to the belief that if we don’t pick JVR with our first pick, he’s not going to be there at our second pick.

Yeah, can't see Tigers passing on a quality KP with their second pick, assuming he's available. I'd be more than happy with us taking him with our first pick though I guess it depends on who's available.

Yeah, can't see Tigers passing on a quality KP with their second pick, assuming he's available. I'd be more than happy with us taking him with our first pick though I guess it depends on who's available.
If Goater (especially) or Sinn was available at our first pick, and we went JVR, I’ll be pretty p!ssed.

I know we probably won’t have another shot at a top 30 KPP until the 2023 draft, but I just don’t see JVR on the same level as say Oscar Allen.

It sucks that this year is very shallow for KPP talent, while next year looks loaded with high end KPP’s.

Dream realistic draft with our 2 first rounders for me would be Josh Goater, Darcy Wilmot/NWM although I would be happy with any 2 of Goater, Wilmot, NWM, Sinn, Knevitt, Chesser, Johnson.

I'm assuming JHF, Callaghan, Erasmus, Ward and Hobbs are no chance to get to our picks.

If Goater (especially) or Sinn was available at our first pick, and we went JVR, I’ll be pretty p!ssed.

I know we probably won’t have another shot at a top 30 KPP until the 2023 draft, but I just don’t see JVR on the same level as say Oscar Allen.

It sucks that this year is very shallow for KPP talent, while next year looks loaded with high end KPP’s.

Guess if both those guys are available and we take JVR there's still a chance one will be available at our next pick which would be perfect.

I think you might be selling JVR short on potential. He's performed better at state level than Allen did at the same age. Allen was very good at the Champs from memory which unfortunately we haven't had the chance to gauge this year's draftees on, although I think JVR had glandular fever for most of the year so probably wouldn't have been able to play if they were on.

Guess if both those guys are available and we take JVR there's still a chance one will be available at our next pick which would be perfect.

I think you might be selling JVR short on potential. He's performed better at state level than Allen did at the same age. Allen was very good at the Champs from memory which unfortunately we haven't had the chance to gauge this year's draftees on, although I think JVR had glandular fever for most of the year so probably wouldn't have been able to play if they were on.
The thing for me is that while WA has a lot of KPP’s, none are particularly tall or athletic, so it’s not like JVR has competed against many players who have height or athleticism over him.

Just by his build and strength he’s been able to outplay his opponents, without jumping over them.

At 194cm he’s not going to have that advantage at AFL level.

It would have been good to see him against Vic Metro or Vic Country who have the taller, more athletic KPP’s to match up on. It’s just neither Vic team has the sheer number of higher quality KPP’s that WA has.

The thing for me is that while WA has a lot of KPP’s, none are particularly tall or athletic, so it’s not like JVR has competed against many players who have height or athleticism over him.

Just by his build and strength he’s been able to outplay his opponents, without jumping over them.

At 194cm he’s not going to have that advantage at AFL level.

It would have been good to see him against Vic Metro or Vic Country who have the taller, more athletic KPP’s to match up on. It’s just neither Vic team has the sheer number of higher quality KPP’s that WA has.

Allen is the same height. Who was he competing against at the same age that made him appear a better prospect? JVR pretty canny, leads well and has pace which will serve him well. I'd be astonished if he's not a best 22 KP in the team that drafts him within 4 years.

Is there any footage of Chesser? I know he's barely played in the last two years, but surely there's something out there

Allen is the same height. Who was he competing against at the same age that made him appear a better prospect? JVR pretty canny, leads well and has pace which will serve him well. I'd be astonished if he's not a best 22 KP in the team that drafts him within 4 years.
Allen played in the Championships, so we saw him against the other states KPD’s. In WA, Naughton was the main defender he played against. I also rate Allen as more athletic.

Allen played in the Championships, so we saw him against the other states KPD’s. In WA, Naughton was the main defender he played against. I also rate Allen as more athletic.

Which defenders specifically from the Champs do you think demonstrated his ability to play forward against a strong opponent?

Allen probably more athletic but I don't think there's a great degree of variation between the two at the same age aside from Allen's champs which JVR wouldn't have been able to participate in even if they weren't cancelled.

We'll just end up going in circle so I'm gonna just say I think we need to bring in a KP soon to develop and we won't have that opportunity next year and JVR presents as a very good prospect imo. Could see him complementing Hippy in a very solid combo in a few years.

Are we still prioritizing Vic country?

Probably will always be a preference for the next decade minimum but I think we've moved beyond that. I tend to think we can now back our system to bring in kids from anywhere and keep them. I can't imagine any draftee in 2021 being disappointed to be drafted to the Lions which is light years away from where we were 10 years ago.

Probably will always be a preference for the next decade minimum but I think we've moved beyond that. I tend to think we can now back our system to bring in kids from anywhere and keep them. I can't imagine any draftee in 2021 being disappointed to be drafted to the Lions which is light years away from where we were 10 years ago.
Also as good a time as any to bring in Sandy Dragons players, what with Lyons here and Ashcroft to hopefully come next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a replay of Sandy from April. Sinn returns from injury and Chesser plays as well. I'll give it a look over the next few days.

Edit: Actually it's only Sinn in this one. So far he's gone on two runs from defence. Kicked to a mark both times then run on to receive only to miss the next kick. One shot on goal for ootf. Not liking his contested game/tackling either. He's quick though!

Last edited:
Gday guys. A couple of discussions have come up on our board about splitting our pick. What would your opinion be taking our pick 9 and some future pick for points for Ashcroft for you 14 and 18?

Gday guys. A couple of discussions have come up on our board about splitting our pick. What would your opinion be taking our pick 9 and some future pick for points for Ashcroft for you 14 and 18?

If we didn't have Ashcroft next year then hell yes. What would you want for 9 + f2nd? I'm the official trader for the Brisbane Lions™ so bear in mind this will be locked in after you specify your preference.

Extremely unlikely we trade both our first rounders especially 14. 18 + our 2022 first for 9 and a 2nd would be feasible

With the supposed evenness of this draft from around 4-5 to the rest of the top 20 I can't see us doing that trade, we could very likely get the player we want at 14 as 9 IMO.

If we do trade one of them out I see it being a draft night trade if a player we didn't expect to still be on the board at say 8-11 was there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back