Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I drafted Sinn in a phantom draft and was hopeful of Chesser lasting until pick 20 but was gone TWO picks before I’ve now traded pick 20 and 39 for 29 and 30 feel there’s a few decent players still available there

dcd17a0e-9a3a-48c2-bca3-9ed113d1b824_screenshot.jpg

We've got briz or quigley for the proper thing, right?

I enjoy & appreciate Briz's work immensely, along with all our other draft watchers. Doesn't mean I will miss an opportunity to take a cheap shot if the opportunity presents though :D

cheap shots maketh mates

I enjoy & appreciate Briz's work immensely, along with all our other draft watchers. Doesn't mean I will miss an opportunity to take a cheap shot if the opportunity presents though :D

Haha yeah totally. briztoon and I don't always see eye to eye but am very grateful for the work he does bringing info on draftees. Certainly good for fans like me who don't have the time or drive to look into it ourselves and certainly adds to the board.

Allen is the same height. Who was he competing against at the same age that made him appear a better prospect? JVR pretty canny, leads well and has pace which will serve him well. I'd be astonished if he's not a best 22 KP in the team that drafts him within 4 years.
Allen also showed in the National Champs his marking was one grab and elite. Has JVR shown the same?
Probably will always be a preference for the next decade minimum but I think we've moved beyond that. I tend to think we can now back our system to bring in kids from anywhere and keep them. I can't imagine any draftee in 2021 being disappointed to be drafted to the Lions which is light years away from where we were 10 years ago.
Have to agree with you here. We’ve come along way from the days of fearing any and all draftees up and leaving.

Allen also showed in the National Champs his marking was one grab and elite. Has JVR shown the same?

He definitely showed in the WAFL final he's one grab. Elite? Dunno.

I don't remember Allen screaming out to be drafted based on his Champs as an elite prospect, even if he was very impressive. Pretty sure he was discussed as a possible for out third pick and he ended up going 3 picks beyond that before being drafted. Obviously he'd be top 3 if picking now but that's the benefit of hindsight.

Leek Alleer just broke the all time left foot vertical leap at the SA state combine >

Central District’s Leek Alleer has showed off his incredible athleticism, setting a national record in the Running Vertical Jump at SA’s AFL Combine on Saturday.

The Bulldogs’ intercepting defender registered a staggering 107cm while leaping off his left foot at the University of SA’s Mawson Lakes Campus.

This surpassed the previous record of 103cm set by North Melbourne’s Kyron Hayden in 2017 and 102cm set by West Coast’s Nic Naitanui in 2008.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Apparently his kicking needs a fair bit of work but wouldn't mind if we went for him at pick 41 if still there, his strength is his intercept marking. >

Looks like he was jumping within himself as well.

Leek Alleer just broke the all time left foot vertical leap at the SA state combine >

Central District’s Leek Alleer has showed off his incredible athleticism, setting a national record in the Running Vertical Jump at SA’s AFL Combine on Saturday.

The Bulldogs’ intercepting defender registered a staggering 107cm while leaping off his left foot at the University of SA’s Mawson Lakes Campus.

This surpassed the previous record of 103cm set by North Melbourne’s Kyron Hayden in 2017 and 102cm set by West Coast’s Nic Naitanui in 2008.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Apparently his kicking needs a fair bit of work but wouldn't mind if we went for him at pick 41 if still there, his strength is his intercept marking. >

Looks like he was jumping within himself as well.

Not really a surprise but good on Leek. His positioning is the headline. Reads the play extremely well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we don’t move pick 41 up after the f/s bids I think the highest up we can move is 39. Anyway, I know that Fagan in the past has stated that intercept marking is an area that he rates highly. That small bit of vision reminded me of D.White actually. Not sure if Alleer would be still there but would be a very interesting pick-up if we did.

If we don’t move pick 41 up after the f/s bids I think the highest up we can move is 39. Anyway, I know that Fagan in the past has stated that intercept marking is an area that he rates highly. That small bit of vision reminded me of D.White actually. Not sure if Alleer would be still there but would be a very interesting pick-up if we did.
Don’t forget the 2 St Kilda kids and Faye from GWS, if they’re all bid on before our third pick, it will move back.

I drafted Sinn in a phantom draft and was hopeful of Chesser lasting until pick 20 but was gone TWO picks before I’ve now traded pick 20 and 39 for 29 and 30 feel there’s a few decent players still available there
Love the Sinn pick. Personally I would have taken W-M ahead of him, but would be more than happy if we called Sinn's name out on draft night.

On moto g(30) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another notable Phantom drafter on Big Footy has dropped their early 2022 draft rankings today, Will Ashcroft at number 1 and Jaspa Fletcher at 13. :D :brisbane:
If Victoria have a relatively lockdown free year and the players can get some footy in. I can’t see Fletcher going that early, out of site, out of mind up here in Qld.
The only reason he would be that high this early is because of little vision of others.
Not to say he isn’t that good because I hope he is, being an academy boy and a F/S but once the southerners play some footy he will drop, it’s just what happens.

If Victoria have a relatively lockdown free year and the players can get some footy in. I can’t see Fletcher going that early, out of site, out of mind up here in Qld.
The only reason he would be that high this early is because of little vision of others.
Not to say he isn’t that good because I hope he is, being an academy boy and a F/S but once the southerners play some footy he will drop, it’s just what happens.
Wouldn’t he get games in the VFL though? Much we could probably do with Ashcroft as well

Not really a surprise but good on Leek. His positioning is the headline. Reads the play extremely well.

have just watched a couple of highlights of him. Would be a great prospect that leap and mark first thought process would work well with the rest of our backs, especially with Coleman sniffing around for any scraps from a missed mark.

We'll just end up going in circle so I'm gonna just say I think we need to bring in a KP soon to develop and we won't have that opportunity next year and JVR presents as a very good prospect imo. Could see him complementing Hippy in a very solid combo in a few years.
In a few years, Daniher and McStay will still be going. Do you think JVR is going to overtake one or both of them by the age of 22?

eDPS comment about St Kilda nga prospect who is in the open draft for the top 20 picks.

Played more than just the one good game, plenty of upside and a great size already. He shows plenty of power and could become a real bull midfielder down the track but his endurance needs a lot of work so might play half back to start with.

Certainly adds another midfield option beyond Goater and Johnson, if we go a tall or hbf’er at our first pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back