Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder whether we might be prepared to take a bit of a hit with 18 to move 41 up a fair way depending on who we might be looking at with our second and 3rd picks.
Something like 18 and 41 for Richmond’s 26 and 27 and maybe some future picks back our way as well.
Haven’t checked out points to know what it’s worth mind you. But if we have a couple in mind that are likely to fall a bit lower maybe it’s worth a punt.

I wonder whether we might be prepared to take a bit of a hit with 18 to move 41 up a fair way depending on who we might be looking at with our second and 3rd picks.
Something like 18 and 41 for Richmond’s 26 and 27 and maybe some future picks back our way as well.
Haven’t checked out points to know what it’s worth mind you. But if we have a couple in mind that are likely to fall a bit lower maybe it’s worth a punt.
Would be a draft night trade for me depending on how many guys we like are still there at our pick 18. Also if the club is committed to needing a kpp then it'd be pretty risky trading back due to the lack of them in this draft.

Would be a draft night trade for me depending on how many guys we like are still there at our pick 18. Also if the club is committed to needing a kpp then it'd be pretty risky trading back due to the lack of them in this draft.
Yeah wouldn’t do it before draft night.

Starting to be a bit of talk that Leek Alleer might go in the 20’s. 😲

Sheesh. I just don’t believe it’s worth overpaying for a KPP based on need in this draft.

Because it’s very shallow on KPP’s, they are starting to be over valued, by a lot.

Sheesh. I just don’t believe it’s worth overpaying for a KPP based on need in this draft.

Because it’s very shallow on KPP’s, they are starting to be over valued, by a lot.

Then more chance of mids sliding to our picks. We're well placed with 14 & 18.

Don't really follow the kids anymore. Best way to be.

I just listen to Shifter's spiel about them when we call their name out. Everyone's a potential gun & a star according to Kev :D

20-35 is probably where he falls from my understanding.

Intercept marking is valued highly by clubs and it appears to be his weapon.
But I think there would be better options on the board in the 20’s

Intercept marking is valued highly by clubs and it appears to be his weapon.
But I think there would be better options on the board in the 20’s
If you’re talking KPP options in the second round, there’s not many. Alleer would still be one or two seasons away from contributing at senior level. Got to build that body up.

Talls in the open pool.
Mac Andrew: Ruck/KPF
Jye Amiss: KPF

JVR: KPD
Rhett Bazzo: KPD
Leek Alleer: KPD
Toby Conway: Ruck

The first two should be mid first round picks. The next four should be second or third round picks.

After those 6, I wouldn’t look at any other KPP’s this year.

If you’re talking KPP options in the second round, there’s not many. Alleer would still be one or two seasons away from contributing at senior level. Got to build that body up.

Talls in the open pool.

The first two should be mid first round picks. The next four should be second or third round picks.

Jack Williams is another that is talked about. Thoughts on him?
He looks like another tall, loping type to me and I think we have enough of them. Another player like McStay who can play back or forward would be ideal. Maybe not this year though!

Also, with the chance that recruiters consider the talls this year too weak a group to be confident in their projected afl quality that some could slide, would you take say Gibcus or Andrew ahead of other options (say sinn and Chesser are off the board) if they were available at 16? And in which order?

Talls in the open pool.

I disagree to some extent, agree that this draft if weak for kpp however I still think JVR and Bazzo have late first/early second talent. Could see them both being very solid AFL players.

Also, with the chance that recruiters consider the talls this year too weak a group to be confident in their projected afl quality that some could slide, would you take say Gibcus or Andrew ahead of other options (say sinn and Chesser are off the board) if they were available at 16? And in which order?
🤦‍♂️ I forgot Gibcus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree to some extent, agree that this draft if weak for kpp however I still think JVR and Bazzo have late first/early second talent. Could see them both being very solid AFL players.
I certainly rate Bazzo ahead JVR.

If we drafted a Goater or Chesser with our first pick, I’d be happy with Bazzo at 20.

I’d be even happier if we slid back 3 spots and still got Bazzo, while acquiring a future pick in the process.

Jack Williams is another that is talked about. Thoughts on him?
He looks like another tall, loping type to me and I think we have enough of them. Another player like McStay who can play back or forward would be ideal. Maybe not this year though!
Williams doesn’t come close to having the same athleticism as McStay.

Nor was he particularly effective in the challenge games v SA.

I’d be even happier if we slid back 3 spots and still got Bazzo, while acquiring a future pick in the process.
So would I although because of the lack of KPP it could be a big risk, if someone takes him then we’ve shot ourselves in the foot with no other options.

Talls in the open pool.

No, just better options in general, not specifically kp’s.
But both JVR and Bazzo should go somewhere between 18-30 which is second round talent and would be better options.
With there hopefully being a bit more KP talent available in next years draft, teams may just wait until then?

Last edited:
Some of Alleer’s marking highlights in the 3rd page of this Insta post.

Markings not in question. His physical development and the rest of his game is what I would like to see.

How would we play Alleer when we already have Andrews? Would Andrews have to change his game and become more a man on man defender, and allow Alleer to become our floating tall intercept marker.

Markings not in question. His physical development and the rest of his game is what I would like to see.

How would we play Alleer when we already have Andrews? Would Andrews have to change his game and become more a man on man defender, and allow Alleer to become our floating tall intercept marker.

Sounds great. We struggle when Andrews has to play more of a lockdown role because their better forward is too tall for Adams or Gardiner

Sounds great. We struggle when Andrews has to play more of a lockdown role because their better forward is too tall for Adams or Gardiner
I know.

Which again, I look at Bazzo and see him fitting in to our defence much better. Can play man on man defence, can intercept well, and offers good rebound by foot when the opportunity presents itself. Should easily be considered a natural replacement for Gardiner.

I don’t believe he is the man for us.
And don’t think he fits a need.

I know.

Which again, I look at Bazzo and see him fitting in to our defence much better. Can play man on man defence, can intercept well, and offers good rebound by foot when the opportunity presents itself. Should easily be considered a natural replacement for Gardiner.

Payne, Bazzo and Andrews in the same backline?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back