Analysis 2021 draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t believe pick 20 will be that valuable.

What are we going to trade for it?

We won’t, but we may get it.
Melbourne wins flag, Daicos & Darcy bids makes pick 18 now pick 20 - ours.

Your other points maybe valid - it’s value could be overblown although given it’s in an AFL Twomey article someone thinks it could have value.

Your other points maybe valid - it’s value could be overblown although given it’s in an AFL Twomey article someone thinks it could have value.
Based on the limited research I've done so far I think Goater would be great in terms of the type of player he is. Has the ability to play mid, wing and in defence given his height. Roberts is the other player I really like and could play next year. Was deprived of midfield minutes in the representative games so may go under the radar in terms of his ability to in that position compared to others rated top 10. Also performed well at senior level in SANFL. Both won't get through to 14 and 18 though. Do we trade our future first to get up the order on draft night?

You misread that part of my post. I meant, what would we trade pick 20 for?

An early second round pick, plus a future second round pick?

I’d rather keep pick 20, because I’d be quietly confident that Gold Coast with two picks close behind pick 20, will be going the two best KPP’s available if they don’t get a KPP with their first pick.

Based on the limited research I've done so far I think Goater would be great in terms of the type of player he is. Has the ability to play mid, wing and in defence given his height. Roberts is the other player I really like and could play next year. Was deprived of midfield minutes in the representative games so may go under the radar in terms of his ability to in that position compared to others rated top 10. Also performed well at senior level in SANFL. Both won't get through to 14 and 18 though. Do we trade our future first to get up the order on draft night?
I reckon Roberts slides to the second half of the first round. I’m not that keen on him to be honest. Would prefer Johnson, or if we went a smaller player, Rachelle ahead of Roberts.

Never heard of it.

Probably a good thing. I spend waaay to much time on here, to add extra reading to my list.

Superfooty is just what the Herald Sun calls their AFL website. Off limits without a News Corp subscription.

On today’s Road to the Draft episode, someone asked Twomey about Will Ashcroft.

The two most relevant takeaways.

1. He’s a top 5 talent, and in the conversation for pick 1.

2. Likely to join the Brisbane Lions as a father son pick.

You would have to imagine the Lions would be a very appealing destination given we are in a window and looking good to sustain our current top end level for another 5+ years.

I'm assuming Ashcroft will be ready to go round 1 2023 - barring injuries of course.
One thing he has going for him is that he’s quick and is a pretty classy ball user so could definitely start off on a flank or wing early in his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some have Amiss and JVR as late draft range very much in our draft position our midfield seems fine with Rayner and Sharp joining our current team next year going Key position wouldn’t hurt Us
If Fremantle have two top 10 picks after the Cerra trade, Amiss will go top 10.

There are a few clubs just ahead of us or who have picks between ours, that could go for a tall.

GWS needs a tall defender.

Sydney could do with a KPP or ruck.

Richmond could go tall with their second pick.

Even with Neale staying, I would like a classy mid with speed at our first pick.

Goater
Sinn
Wanganee-Milera
Chesser

And a KPP at our second selection.

Van Rooyen
Bazzo
What are your thoughts on Sinn's ball use? To me it sometimes looks like he's going a little too fast for his own good.

Question for some of the draft watchers briztoon could you help?

Would like to understand how much junior football was played this year under covid restrictions compared to pre-covid?

Have the recruiters been able to research and gather as much info on players as they would have pre-covid?

Would like to understand how much junior football was played this year under covid restrictions compared to pre-covid?

Have the recruiters been able to research and gather as much info on players as they would have pre-covid?
Cal Twomey mentioned this on he’s last podcast most recruiters are stuck in Melbourne so the most they have to work with is video footage on WA and SA draftees

SA and WA have been unaffected.

Most club’s senior recruiter/s are based in Melbourne, so haven’t been able to get interstate to watch the kids.

Most clubs also have part time, state based scouts that report back to their head recruiter before they visit that particular state.

I’ve had brief discussions with other draft watchers about recruiters in general, and one comment was that we have a very good scout in WA.

As blueiris mentioned, head recruiters have had to rely on watching vision of the SA and WA kids. SA is very good with their coverage of Colts, Reserve and SANFL, there is a lot of vision available to everyone. WA not quite as much. But recruiters might have access to vision the public don’t.

Victoria is a different matter. The NAB league was restructured last offseason, in a money saving effort, which had a very negative impact on the boys. They didn’t have a proper preseason as clubs, but rather kids had to train by themselves or in groups, and they only got together as clubs a couple of weeks before the season started.

Then they had a early season break, where they either went back to school footy or local amateur clubs.

After that break, there were two Vic Metro versus Vic Country games, before Covid shut Vic down for the year.

Regardless, recruiters got to see the Vic kids for half a season, but quite a few prospects missed extended time through injury, and we never saw if there were any late developers, because their season was so stop start and interrupted.

And a KPP at our second selection.

Van Rooyen
Bazzo

I like the idea of someone like Van Rooyen at our pick, not the exact player as I've never seen him play, but a KPP player that could potentially play at either end.

Van Rooyen himself had glandular fever which means he may be a few months behind in terms of development meaning greater potential scope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back